Help in Honolulu

Friends of a friend left Panama before virus and headed for Marquesas. Denied entry when they arrived so they are headed for Hawaii. Should arrive there within a week.They have been unable to make contact with Ala Wai marina or Honolulu Yacht Club to get a slip. My understanding is they are closed so nobody answers the phone. Anyone have a contact name or number I could give them to get a reservation?

26 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

Honolulu Yacht Club is extremely helpful.

I used hycportcaptain@gmail.com

Looks like I also used a private email address, PM me if ya want it.

There is no Honolulu Yacht Club. There is a Hawaii Yacht Club and Waikiki Yacht Club on the south side and Kaneohoe YC on the windward side.  All of them our closed and I doubt would be able to take on guest moorage as the facilities are shuttered except for maintenance staff and security.  The state-run Ala Wai marina or other state facilities might have some spaces available but having few or no staff to do a check-in or make an assignment  means they'd be squatting and would thereby attract the attention of any number of state, federal and local agencies right now. Kewalo Basin and Ko Olina on Oahu are private and might be of some help. The islands are generally closed to incomers who do not have secured lodging or a home so they might not be able to enter the state at all other than by declaring an emergency.  I'd check with customs/immigration before arrival since they're coming from Panama as their last port.  My fear is that that might be granted moorage somewhere on the basis of being in need of a port of refuge but then be quarantined on their boat for two weeks despite their time at sea.  Hopefully, someone with better information will pop up here.

Question: why are they coming from Panama to Hawaii?  We're not on the way to the Marquesas! We are on the way to pretty much nowhere else (Asia maybe?). Secondly, where are they now? I wonder if they'd have better prospects in Latin America or Mexico for the time being.

2 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

Question: why are they coming from Panama to Hawaii?  We're not on the way to the Marquesas! We are on the way to pretty much nowhere else (Asia maybe?). Secondly, where are they now? I wonder if they'd have better prospects in Latin America or Mexico for the time being.

They made it all the way to the Marquesas and were denied entry. Hawaii probably seemed like the safest bet.

2 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

There is no Honolulu Yacht Club.

Yeah, my bad...Hawai'i YC. Still worth contacting HYC. They are very supportive of ocean voyagers. You never know.

1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

Yeah, my bad...Hawai'i YC. Still worth contacting HYC. They are very supportive of ocean voyagers. You never know.

Even in what used to be "normal" times they would need to contact  customs first because they are coming in from outside the US, otherwise they would not be allowed to leave their boat before an inspection, or they would face a hefty fine, so they should probably start there. Even in the best of times the DNLR (state agency that runs the state harbors) have been rather difficult to deal with re: visitors, especially if they did not make prior arrangements. And as mentioned above I believe ALL the private yacht clubs are closed and not staffed. Maybe they can try contacting the Coast Guard? As suggested they may have to declare an emergency.

They need to check in with the Hawaii customs and department of health. No question about it, they will have to quarantine for 14 days, regardless of the length of their passage. I've been following your friends and pretty much everyone else that has been trapped at sea by the Covid quarantines. Hawaii won't turn Americans away, but they will have to follow the local quarantine laws.

Please let us know how this turns out. It's not easy dealing with HA state agencies in normal times. I cannot imagine how it is at the present.  Have they considered getting a ship's agent in HA?  Expensive, likely, but it would be good to have someone on site who can wade through the process. The YCs are a non-stater.  Shuttered and padlocked, although their port captains might have insight. 

I cleared into Honolulu from a foreign port. Was super easy and friendly (actually kinda a joke like most US ports). And the DNLR at Hanapepe, Lihue, Kaua'i was a joy. The locals boaters though are 50-50. Some are seriously fucked (alcohol?) in the head. So results vary.

8 minutes ago, sledracr said:

anchor off "bowls" and see if uber-eats or grub-hub will deliver take-out by boat?

<no, not serious...>

I've been out in the bight many times when I wondered if a pizza boat could come by.  They don't.  

• Like 3

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. The brother of the captain was able to make contact and secure a slip at HYC. The boat is about 9 days out and looks like a heavy air beam reach in to the islands. 

• Like 1

Good to hear. I would be doing the same if I had managed to leave Panama in time. Perhaps several others doing the same, see purple icons.

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 1.09.05 PM.png

• Like 1