Trump threatens to disband congress

Burning Man

Jeffreaux can not wait for Marshall Law.

elections? “Not till we can guarantee fair elections!” Likely Dicktater Trump quote

Potentially the greatest constitutional crisis since 1861 and instead of Lincoln we have Trump.  Nothing about this is going to work out well.

US Constitution Article 2 section 3

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

3 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

So dumbfuck, you think they haven’t set a time of adjournment? Or you having trouble with English and cognition again?

he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses,(He can bring the senate back) or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper

Sao's interpreting them to mean Trump and either house.

Just now, jerseyguy said:

Diana Ross?

Mary Wilson, always negative.  Stop in the Name of Love, it was supposed to be Go in the Name of Love until old Mary caught wind of it.  

For you out of towners, they are building a new Motown museum that will encompass the old Hitsville USA building on West Grand in Detroit.  For visitors, probably about 3-4 miles from dead downtown.  

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

Mary Wilson, always negative.  Stop in the Name of Love, it was supposed to be Go in the Name of Love until old Mary caught wind of it.  

For you out of towners, they are building a new Motown museum that will encompass the old Hitsville USA building on West Grand in Detroit.  For visitors, probably about 3-4 miles from dead downtown.  

No shit? That’s worth a visit - just like Tower Records. 

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

No shit? That’s worth a visit - just like Tower Records. 

You come to town, I can put you up.  20-25 mins from Motown (not completed for 18mos or so) and 15 from Greenfield Village (maybe the greatest museum in the country for kids).  

6 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You come to town, I can put you up.  20-25 mins from Motown (not completed for 18mos or so) and 15 from Greenfield Village (maybe the greatest museum in the country for kids).  

Got a best friend up in Oxford - that close? I’d love to spend an evening checking for unlocked cars at The Palace w/ya...

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Got a best friend up in Oxford - that close? I’d love to spend an evening checking for unlocked cars at The Palace w/ya...

Oxford is a far Northern suburb and I'm a Western suburb but we can make it work.  You know the Palace is being torn down (or has been)?

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

Oxford is a far Northern suburb and I'm a Western suburb but we can make it work.  You know the Palace is being torn down (or has been)?

I didn’t - that’s sad - saw some great concerts and games there.   My buddy used to be in Lake Orion. Likewise - ya ever get out here, my door is open - we’ve got lotsa room, and a PHENOMENAL inhome chef.  My sausage gravy and scratch biscuits, or crab omelette ain’t bad for breakfast. 

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I didn’t - that’s sad - saw some great concerts and games there.   My buddy used to be in Lake Orion. Likewise - ya ever get out here, my door is open - we’ve got lotsa room, and a PHENOMENAL inhome chef.  My sausage gravy and scratch biscuits, or crab omelette ain’t bad for breakfast. 

Compared to Oxford, Lake Orion is like a Detroit suburb.  Thanks, you could put good crab in a shoe and I would enjoy it.  Had a trip planned for the Outer Banks at the end of the month but that's ok, will go in the fall which I much prefer.  Maybe have a drink on the way by.  Take care.  Lake Orion, anything Indian-related?

2 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Compared to Oxford, Lake Orion is like a Detroit suburb.  Thanks, you could put good crab in a shoe and I would enjoy it.  Had a trip planned for the Outer Banks at the end of the month but that's ok, will go in the fall which I much prefer.  Maybe have a drink on the way by.  Take care.  Lake Orion, anything Indian-related?

No sir - he transferred from Camp Hill to Southfield with EDS, and Lake Orion is where he found a place to be comfortable. 

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

No sir - he transferred from Camp Hill to Southfield with EDS, and Lake Orion is where he found a place to be comfortable. 

Cool, you at least understood what I was asking.  Glad you're in the get rid of Trump camp, I have no problem with voting Republican, just not Trump.  Stay safe and good night.  

2 hours ago, Saorsa said:

US Constitution Article 2 section 3

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Jiblet is spot on. Congress and the Senate agreed to adjourn on January 3rd, 2021. Which is why you have never seen Congress adjourned by the President before now 

4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Jeff would have been better served by coming back as Burnett Downe

Oh dude, damn I wish I had thought of that. Is it too late to change?

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Already under discussion here Jeffie

WTF??  That was Feb. my story from CNN just posted a couple of hours ago. 

6 hours ago, Fakenews said:

I highly recommend it.  A quick search usually help me learn about things that were posted before I joined.

Yes Gator, of course it does Gator. :P

4 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Jiblet is spot on. Congress and the Senate agreed to adjourn on January 3rd, 2021. Which is why you have never seen Congress adjourned by the President before now 

Yep, they did, in January, but that is past.  But, should the senate announce an adjournment the bouse better agree or the president can force them to shut down "until such time as he thinks proper":  I guess the proper time would be after he has all his interim appointments in place at which time the senate could stall their removal.

26 minutes ago, Saorsa said:
4 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Yep, they did, in January, but that is past.  But, should the senate announce an adjournment the bouse better agree or the president can force them to shut down "until such time as he thinks proper":  I guess the proper time would be after he has all his interim appointments in place at which time the senate could stall their removal.

?

53 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Any idiot knows that Obummer was acting like an emperor when he took the oath of office. 

Don't forget - He acted like an Emperor when he wasn't leading from behind.

Just now, Saorsa said:

Yep I missed that.

On the other hand agreements have been broken before.

Indeed.  This one will be interesting to see play out, assuming President Trump is resolute in his desire to call the shot.

Me thinks the Senate will be none too pleased to be pushed aside.  Majority Leader McConnell has power, and those with power are disinclined to give it up, without a fight.

29 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Indeed.  This one will be interesting to see play out, assuming President Trump is resolute in his desire to call the shot.

Me thinks the Senate will be none too pleased to be pushed aside.  Majority Leader McConnell has power, and those with power are disinclined to give it up, without a fight.

McConnell surrendered a great deal of power to Trump in the impeachment.    He was too busy winning to notice.  

11 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Jeff would have been better served by coming back as Burnett Downe

I wish he would come back as a young Bernadette Peters. YOWZA!

90a22cdec6420ec3dd0a58a520dbeba2.jpg

28 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Sondheim, Etc.: Bernadette Peters Live at Carnegie Hall

Not a day goes by that I don't think of this music.

Dunno about the music inside but that's a great album cover.

Seriously I liked Bernadette. She was always one of the highlights when she came on one of the old variety shows.

- DSK

Nice portrait of Donnie 

British Writer Pens The Best Description Of Trump I've Read

trump.jpg
(Caricature of Donald Trump is by DonkeyHotey.)

The following was found at LA Progressive:

Someone on Quora asked “Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?” Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote the following response:
A few things spring to mind.
Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.
For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.
So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.
Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever.
I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.
But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.
Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.
And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.
There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.
Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.
Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.
And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.
Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.
He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.
He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.
And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.
That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.
There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down.
So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
• Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
• You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.
This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.
After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.
God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.
He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.
In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.
And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:
‘My God… what… have… I… created?
If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.
On 4/15/2020 at 11:25 PM, Danceswithoctopus said:
On 4/15/2020 at 11:19 PM, DustyDreamer said:

Can you imagine if Obama pulled this shit?

I’ll bite.

He did. The Supremes said no.

He was following and extending the example set for him by Bush. And the Supremes said no with a 9-0 vote.

Justice Breyer made it pretty clear.

In 2005, for example, President George W. Bush, who was then butting heads with Senate Democrats over the fate of several of his nominees, simply waited until the Senate went home for its winter break and then made 17 recess appointments. The Senate reacted to this executive overreach with a novel defensive tactic: A member would remain on hand during future breaks in order to gavel the body into a pro forma session every few days, thus preventing the Senate from ever technically going into recess. That did the trick. As New York Times reporter Charlie Savage noted, "Senate Democrats repeated the move during breaks for the rest of Mr. Bush's presidency, and Mr. Bush did not try to make any further recess appointments."

President Barack Obama proved to be even more overreaching than Bush. In 2012, while the Senate was holding a pro forma session, Obama went ahead and made four purported recess appointments, including the addition of three members to the National Labor Relations Board. The unseemly act of making recess appointments when the Senate was not actually in recess earned Obama a 9-0 rebuke from the U.S. Supreme Court. "In our view," declared Justice Stephen Breyer in National Labor Relations Board v. Noel Canning, "the pro forma sessions count as sessions, not as periods of recess." Therefore, "We hold that, for purposes of the Recess Appointments Clause, the Senate is in session when it says it is."

Breyer's Noel Canning opinion also anticipated the Trump scenario. The Recess Appointment Clause, Breyer wrote, "gives the President (if he has enough allies in Congress) a way to force a recess."

Here's what that might mean in the present context: Assume that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R–Ky.) likes the sound of Trump's scheme to bypass the Senate in order to have a free hand to make recess appointments. So long as McConnell and his allies are willing to abdicate the Senate's "advice and consent" role, McConnell could, theoretically, engineer an adjournment battle with the Democratic-controlled House, thus paving the way for Trump to step in. But as Rep. Justin Amash (Trumpalo–Mich.) correctly pointed out on Twitter, "Without one chamber participating in this improper scheme, [Trump's] action would be unconstitutional."

OK, so maybe I edited Amash's political party affiliation a bit there. But he's still right as usual.

Archived