Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, ExOmo said:

I didn't want to have to do it, but here it is for those who might missed our finest hour from years ago.

Thanks, I’d missed that gem :P

Perfect lockdown entertainment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mad said:

Thanks, I’d missed that gem :P

Perfect lockdown entertainment. 

Don't do it!  You will go down the rabbit hole, and only emerge once you've attained the fourth mode.

Have a few drinks instead.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mad said:

New paint job for the topsides is probably way more than $20k, I bet there’s some spots that need repairing as well. 

And like everything with regards to boats, you have to multiply the expected costs and time usage with pi, to get the number that you'll end up with in the end.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  All that is left is the cockpit, hull and a few interior bulkheads.  Sure hope the core in the cockpit isn't wet too.  This project is verging on a new build.  They can save her but it will be a lot of work.  I saved a boat (not nearly as bad as this), and am in the process of saving another one, so I kind of get it.  I hope they have a lot of help and $$$$.  This is way beyond normal. 

No photo description available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Wow.  All that is left is the cockpit, hull and a few interior bulkheads.  Sure hope the core in the cockpit isn't wet too.  This project is verging on a new build.  They can save her but it will be a lot of work.  I saved a boat (not nearly as bad as this), and am in the process of saving another one, so I kind of get it.  I hope they have a lot of help and $$$$.  This is way beyond normal. 

No photo description available.

I hope the 9 inch angle grinder lasts as the battery looks like it must be recharging!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mad said:

Thanks, I’d missed that gem :P

Perfect lockdown entertainment. 

You missed all that?  HWSNBN and his out there ideas?  it did make for good entertainment.....especially when a whole group of people started deleting their comments :lol:

18 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Don't do it!  You will go down the rabbit hole, and only emerge once you've attained the fourth mode.

Have a few drinks instead.

See?  I knew fourth mode wasn't a myth......that shit is real!

17 hours ago, hobot said:

Sorry, won't be posting pics for a bit, ExOmos presented a rabbit hole that I just cannot resist!

 

Don't get sucked into that vortex again!  Resist, friend....resist!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2020 at 12:46 AM, Rain Man said:

Wow.  All that is left is the cockpit, hull and a few interior bulkheads.  Sure hope the core in the cockpit isn't wet too.  This project is verging on a new build.  They can save her but it will be a lot of work.  I saved a boat (not nearly as bad as this), and am in the process of saving another one, so I kind of get it.  I hope they have a lot of help and $$$$.  This is way beyond normal. 

No photo description available.

What are the symmetrical white gelcoated" bins" each side of the companion way?  Hanging lockers?  Water ballast tanks?  ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

What are the symmetrical white gelcoated" bins" each side of the companion way?  Hanging lockers?  Water ballast tanks?  ???

Vote 1: Wet lockers? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FixinGit said:

Vote 1: Wet lockers? 

That's what I assumed, but they are 1. "redundant" and 2.  not really used for any race the boat is likely to do.  If it's wet out there, you unzip and sleep in your gear.  If it's dry you roll them up and shove 'em in your bag and wear fleece or shorts depending.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We got Destroyer dry enough to shed the foulies, hang them in the bow and keep the bunks dry. Even when going through the waves in front of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

That's what I assumed, but they are 1. "redundant" and 2.  not really used for any race the boat is likely to do.  If it's wet out there, you unzip and sleep in your gear.  If it's dry you roll them up and shove 'em in your bag and wear fleece or shorts depending.

Keep in mind...  Gen 1 boat. Not today’s TP52. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Keep in mind...  Gen 1 boat. Not today’s TP52. 

You are most probably right.  However the same gear management applied on Transpacs, and Mexican races when I sailed on Andrews 56, Chance 54, SC 70, SC 50, Spencer 65, etc.  And they sure weren't part of the build for Gen 2 TP52s.  

So, a bit of a puzzle.  But they might make a nice pantry for a cruising boat, even though the galley is 20' away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

We got Destroyer dry enough to shed the foulies, hang them in the bow and keep the bunks dry. Even when going through the waves in front of us.

Now that is fun.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

What are the symmetrical white gelcoated" bins" each side of the companion way?  Hanging lockers?  Water ballast tanks?  ???

Nav station one side, wet or ropes locker on the other.

The third TP52 Yassou / Glory / Wot Yacht / Wot Eva has a nav station to starboard, opposite the oven.

I don’t think TP52 nav stations migrated to under the cockpit until gen 2 or possibly even 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2020 at 9:25 AM, Raz'r said:

Yeah, I'm pretty F'ed at 9'.

8.5’ and in the ‘deep’ NW.  Expensive way to keep your sinuses clear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 4:03 PM, Left Shift said:

You are most probably right.  However the same gear management applied on Transpacs, and Mexican races when I sailed on Andrews 56, Chance 54, SC 70, SC 50, Spencer 65, etc.  And they sure weren't part of the build for Gen 2 TP52s.  

So, a bit of a puzzle.  But they might make a nice pantry for a cruising boat, even though the galley is 20' away.

which andrews 56? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 12:25 AM, TUBBY said:

Frantic, (Strewth, Trader from around 2004) has the nav back under the cockpit,  but may have been a trendsetter.

Does she still have her keel?  Lost it a few times over the years....

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are super excited to announce that the original designer of J-Bird III will also be doing the designs for the new deck. Alan Andrews is excited about the project and stated that he is looking forward to seeing the old girl back out racing. As the original designer for the TP52 class with the first two boats his designs, he knows a thing or two about this boat and to have him designing our new deck is a huge bonus for us. https://andrewsyacht.com/

ANDREWSYACHT.COM
 
Boat plans and yacht design. Alan Andrews Yacht Design specializes in high performance racing and cruising yachts. They will design a sailing or power vessel to your requirements. AAYD uses state-of-the-art CAD design programs. Alan Andrews designed yachts have been successful in all levels of yacht...
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2020 at 9:39 AM, Misbehavin' said:

It's because they weren't built to very rigorous maritime engineering standards, and not following the regulations governing the materials they can be made of.

no sellotape,  cardboards out...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Flirt of paget said:

This is a project I would luv to be involved in. So worthwhile, she will be gorgeous. Next trip to Aussie land will require a site visit. 

No doubt they would love to have you.  Watch out that you aren't kidnapped on that site visit!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Liquid said:

No vacuum bag?

Was reading about some folks who are not happy about all the waste with vacuum, as you can get pretty close with peel ply and squeegees. Not to say that’s the approach here, but it would be less waste.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the waste side, I guess - tho, it is a plastic boat (with a little wood in between plastic layers)...

I didn't vacuum anything when I 're-racked' my 14er, but I was dealing with small areas of adhesion that were easily weighed down with bags of lead shot on top of peel-ply and breather fabric.

Wondering how you ensure proper lamination across so much area?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I understand the waste side, I guess - tho, it is a plastic boat (with a little wood in between plastic layers)...

I didn't vacuum anything when I 're-racked' my 14er, but I was dealing with small areas of adhesion that were easily weighed down with bags of lead shot.

Wondering how you ensure proper lamination across so much area?

 

Vacuum bag. 15 pounds per square inch. That's plenty of pressure. Several other issues though. This thread illustrates what can go wrong, long term with laminates, and moisture. 

Also asks the question: What is the life expectancy of a racing sailboat?

And, what is recyclable, and what is garbage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jhc said:

What is the life expectancy of a racing sailboat?

what is recyclable, and what is garbage.

Life expectancy!? The boat has already been brought back from the dead....

Clearly, the owners believe the boat is recyclable!

 

 

I am wondering how to ensure uniform lamination without weight or vacuum bagging when re-laminating a carbon deck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Life expectancy!? The boat has already been brought back from the dead....

Clearly, the owners believe the boat is recyclable!

 

 

I am wondering how to ensure uniform lamination without weight or vacuum bagging when re-laminating a carbon deck.

Did you miss the first part of my post?

Vacuum bag. 15 pounds per square inch. That's plenty of pressure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, IMR said:

Someone tell them to stop cutting all the deck off. Just pull one skin, scrape the balsa out and start putting it back together 

Trust me on this you can’t tell this bloke anything. He already knows everything.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 1:30 AM, Liquid said:

No vacuum bag?

Yer, but that looks like the inside laminate on top of the old inner skin after scraping away the mushy balsa and blocking off the winch base mounting areas etc.Note the lip around the edge of the area in question.  Not much to be gained with a bag  here,, and bloody hard to seal up and pull a reasonable vacuum.

To many possible leak points.

From earlier pictures they only have a small capacity pump. 

Obviously got tired of grinding as the surface still seems to have traces of old core. Maybe it was considered good enough to add laminate to. Who knows, not there.

 

Maybe you will see your bag when the core gets added. More gains to be made then..

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Yer, but that looks like the inside laminate on top of the old inner skin after scraping away the mushy balsa and blocking of the winch base mounting areas etc.Note the lip around the edge of the area in question.  Not much to be gained with a bag  here,, and bloody hard to seal up and pull a reasonable vacuum.

To many possible leak points.

From earlier pictures they only have a small capacity pump. 

 

Maybe you will see your bag when the core gets added. More gains to be made then..

ahh, makes a lot more sense...

I guess what's curious is that for a "cruiser" they're keeping the massive flat cockpit. Wouldn't be too big a deal to increase some interior quarterberth volume and STILL have a huge cockpit.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

I guess what's curious is that for a "cruiser" they're keeping the massive flat cockpit. Wouldn't be too big a deal to increase some interior quarterberth volume and STILL have a huge cockpit.

I think the cockpit sides are major longitudinal structural elements, and carry through below deck to the hull bottom in many cases.  Not sure I'd want to futz with those.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

I think the cockpit sides are major longitudinal structural elements, and carry through below deck to the hull bottom in many cases.  Not sure I'd want to futz with those.

good point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, P_Wop said:

I think the cockpit sides are major longitudinal structural elements, and carry through below deck to the hull bottom in many cases.  Not sure I'd want to futz with those.

Not on the slightly later Gen 3 lay-up plans I'm looking at.  They certainly stiffen the cockpit sole and the winch pad locations, but don't seem to be compression members.   the main longitudinals and lateral floors are in the hull.  In the hulls I'm familiar with, the reinforcing winch and pedestal and pad-eye locations were highly localized and could not be moved without rebuilding the deck layup and load tracing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Left Shift said:

According to the 3-D rendering, they are planning on sailing this thing without pedestals?  Or will it be generator on, full time. Either way seems a poor choice for a "cruising" boat.  

I assume they will not run the full 270 sqm kite for cruising, so don't need the line speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snowden said:

I assume they will not run the full 270 sqm kite for cruising, so don't need the line speed.

Plenty of demand for winch horsepower.  Takes two guys on a pedestal to raise the main.  Two on a pedestal to get the main in on a jibe.  Even with the frack kite, there's a lot of sheet to overhaul.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

electric winch.

That'd be my answer. And sailing with a reef pretty much all the time.

Sure, you've got all the time in the world to sit there and wait while your electric winch spins.  

And what is the point of sailing a TP52 if you're going to be reefed all the time and using your frac kite?  Why not just get a Beneteau or SC-52 and be done with it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alaris said:

I don’t see how this boat makes sense for cruising without making every winch electric. Unless you’re carrying around a bunch of pros to go booze cruising.

Still sounds fun. 

Get 10 friends who know how to sail and 10 or more who don't and plenty of life jackets and have at it.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

And what is the point of sailing a TP52 if you're going to be reefed all the time and using your frac kite?  Why not just get a Beneteau or SC-52 and be done with it?

The dance floor cockpit of course. That’s why the pedestal(s?) had to go. Gotta switch to tiller next. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Sure, you've got all the time in the world to sit there and wait while your electric winch spins.  

And what is the point of sailing a TP52 if you're going to be reefed all the time and using your frac kite?  Why not just get a Beneteau or SC-52 and be done with it?

It will be no longer a TP52. But it's not my project, ask the folks doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's the render without a pedestal? I've see the original photos with the pedestal which they sent off to Harken for a service and the photo of the Club Swan 50 they used as a sample "50 ft racer cruiser" for the article as an illustration? As an original TP it had only one external pedestal anyway? Had it even been retrofitted for a square top? Original photos seem to show a backstay ram still...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

The boats going to be zero emission with an electric motor. So it will not have electric winches and will probably be covered with solar panels. So the pedestal will probably remain. 

Why do you say that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rushman said:

Ahhhh I see

If they are going to have a battery bank big enough for electric propulsion, couldn’t it also power the winches?

Electric winches would waste a lot of battery that won't be so easily replenished 

Anyway as JonRowe pointed out, this render is the Club Swan 50 and not JBird III

yysw296238.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...