Will Dick DeVos financial support of political insurrection change your spending habits?

The owner of Quantum sails is the major funding source behind the anti government protests in Michigan and Wisconsin. His interests are clearly political. Do his choices impact how you decide to spend your cash? And I’m talking sails, I doubt that many of you are on the Amway guest list.

I was already vehemently anti-Quantum before this. What with the buyout of the Department of Education, the impact of their endorsement of trickle-down economics on the Reagan administration, and the millions of lives they've ruined. At best, Quantum Sails is a tax play that writes off losses inherent in the marine industry against their Amway income. At worst, its a way of trying to fleece people in the sailing industry in the same way they fleece economically insecure Midwestern housewives.

Their business model basically requires interpersonal interaction. Of course that's suffering from social distancing, and of course they're funding locals to do the "patriotic" thing and protest against it. They can't afford all of their motoryachts and planes if women trying to support their household income aren't hosting recruitment parties or attending pay-your-own-way conferences where "successful executives" tell them that the problem with their failing businesses is they aren't investing enough of their own money in the product and that what they really need is a garage full of overpriced supplements and household items. Listen to "The Dream" podcast series for 5 hours of documenting how MLM schemes ruin lives. 

• Like 7

Article in the Guardian about it:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/18/coronavirus-americans-protest-stay-at-home

Frightening. I will resist going into the conservative and religious Dutch ancestry of the De Vos family, but it relates to anti-abortion, anti-vac, and not allowing you to mowe your lawn on Sunday's. And much more...

• Like 2

No.

I bought my last Quantum sail in 2012 or so, and I've since learned who owns them and refuse to put any money into Betsy's coffers.

I'd feel bad if I was in RI still, as I really, really liked my local loft and sailmaker. That may have over ridden my choices if I was still local as I wouldn't want to punish an individual loft owner who had given me years of great service. It certainly would have made for some hard choices.

But buying sails away from there? No, Quantum was not on the list when I bought a main two years ago. Hood will not be on the list next time - it seems I need to check the industry news before  I make any more sail purchases. Though that seems unlikely, given I am trying to sell my boat.

4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

No.

I bought my last Quantum sail in 2012 or so, and I've since learned who owns them and refuse to put any money into Betsy's coffers.

I'd feel bad if I was in RI still, as I really, really liked my local loft and sailmaker. That may have over ridden my choices if I was still local as I wouldn't want to punish an individual loft owner who had given me years of great service. It certainly would have made for some hard choices.

But buying sails away from there? No, Quantum was not on the list when I bought a main two years ago. Hood will not be on the list next time - it seems I need to check the industry news before  I make any more sail purchases. Though that seems unlikely, given I am trying to sell my boat.

My favourite loft has always been Linthicum Sailmakers along with Kappa but the latter are gone sadly. Linthicum going strong..

38 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

@mad that’s because they’re a current or future sponsor 

As I don’t go to the front page and have Adblock on, this is something I don’t notice.

• Like 1
On 4/18/2020 at 4:54 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Interesting.  My guy just switched to the Green Q from the Blue circle.  I am planning to stick with him.  Local service and attention is what is important in sails, sail making and purchases.  Not politics.

Hroth

5 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Interesting.  My guy just switched to the Green Q from the Blue circle.  I am planning to stick with him.  Local service and attention is what is important in sails, sail making and purchases.  Not politics.

Hroth

Yes and no. I would have had to think long and hard about it had I stayed local, and I would have felt terrible if I switched because I like the owner of the local loft. But he did choose the affiliation.

There were a lot of sailmakers were I used to sail, and I would have been just as long term happy with the one that rented space from my yacht club run by a guy I knew and liked as the one on the other side of the state. If I used him I could have brought my sails in for storage, cleaning and repair with a dock cart instead of making a 45 minute drive.

There's a reason I won't eat at Chick-Fil-A, either.

• Like 3

Another reason why I hope Ineos wins Prada Cup.  At least the frackers aren't getting morons with guns spitting on each other in the streets. I don't eat Papa John's, Chick Fil A or go to Hobby Lobby.  And I watch which businesses in places I vacation stay open despite lockdowns and plan not to patronize them. And as if LE was not bad enough before this year, the Trumpy Porky fundraiser and chloroquinine thing (not sure if LE gets credit for injecting disinfectant, but it was used for diy abortions before 1972, with often fatal results) now I can never go to Lanai.

• 7 months later...