What's at your bird feeder?

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Local wildlife this weekend. He did not like the rain. Super impressed with our Olympus (m4/3) cheap $150 telephoto. You can just see a drop of rain on his claw.

Earlier, I told of a bald eagle taking a sea-run cutthroat from an osprey on my beach. On a lake on this island there are 4 ospreys and 2 bald eagles.  The eagles would also take fish from the os

very rare sighting.  we might never see these in the wild...  

Posted Images

We were gone for a week, visiting our daughters in Chucktown, SC.  A friend came by twice a day to feed the cats, and fill the bird feeders.  In one week the fucking squirrels went through a $30, 25 pound bag of sunflower hearts.  I am now mixing them with shelled sunflower seeds to minimize the excessive costs,  Hate the shell waste on the ground below, but such is compromises of life.  I nailed a couple of squirrels with the BB gun yesterday, but that doesn't discourage them, or their mates for long.   Ultimately I need to reconfig these 2 "squirrel proof" feeders, onto posts with a large funnel below, instead of hanging from shepherd hooks, as they are now......

• 3 weeks later...

What is this?  It looks like a yellow-winged or yellow-shouldered blackbird, except their ranges are Puerto Rico or South America, not NW Washington State?  The photo is from the interweb.  It's been to my feeders several times, and I have seen it fly from above with only a bit of yellow on the shoulders.

Unknown.jpeg.7b806c7d81bd86971cb6ecc088dd3b5c.jpeg

14 minutes ago, view at the front said:

their ranges are Puerto Rico or South America, not NW Washington State

Unknown.jpeg.7b806c7d81bd86971cb6ecc088dd3b5c.jpeg

If you werre stuck in poeste Hurricane Maria PR the laste fiew yeares youde leave to............                   :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 8:41 AM, Snaggletooth said:

N seedes allwayes populare.  Theires a parke oute easte wherre you gette chikadeese, tittemice, and nuthatches(rare) to landen you hande forre N seedes.               :)

Now, I have to take all 6 feeders inside, at night. and block the screen porch doors with metal tables on their sides, or nocturnal critters try to rip through the screens late at night to get at the bird seed.  First it was just the sunflower heart feeders.  Then the other feeders were emptied at night.  Last night some critter(s) jumped on the thistle feeders, chewed holes in them, and knocked one down to the ground a floor below, where they could eat them, and the other one did'nt fall down but has nasty teeth marks in it.  Fortunately, the Walmart thistle feeders are only 3 bucks, which is about the cost t refill the seeds....

I got my four small hummingbird feeders out now because I saw a ruby-throat male at the lake yesterday, and this afternoon the strangest thing, a Baltimore oriole handing upside down on one feeder sucking all the sugar water out of it. Refilled it and he is back at it! Not only have I never had an oriole in the garden before, I've certainly never seen this behavior. BUT, lots of other folks have, apparently when spring is cold, which ours is now.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/local/2018/05/09/birds-why-we-seeing-orioles-hummingbird-feeders/597286002/

We went to visit an exchange student and her family in Chile.  We visited their ski cabin at Portillo and talked with her grandfather.  He said that he and another elderly friend fell asleep while taking a break hiking on a ridge.  They were startled awake with 2 condors flapping their wings directly above them.  BAIT???  

We saw 10-12 condors soaring above.

• Like 1

a couple of things ...   scissor-tailed flycatchers are out and about, I like to watch them go after the insects... 

a young bald eagle  flew over the club for a few minutes,  we don't get many of them, but it seems a couple have setup shop nearby..

and took this the other day...  attack of the purple martins

• Like 1
9 hours ago, See Level said:

73780816.jpg

Funny, but they don't kill, they just feed on the already dead...

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

spotted a house finch pair today,  sparrow like with a red head and chest..

and  later , a coopers hawk

With the latter looking for the former.

great pic

5 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Woody and his buddy Jay.

IMG_2489.JPG

What keeps the seeds from falling out?

• Like 1

First Oriole. They always show up but never hang around very long

I'm guessing that @Willin' has Robins......

Two cottontails are back and eating like ... rabbits do the nasty. Last year there were several bunnies that I saw for a day or two, then "gone." Lotsa cardinal couples.

A pair of Orioles simultaneously. Never had that before.

I had a solo bunny this morning. There were just two offspring last year. Nickle sez bunny won't be here tomorrow. Haven't seen mom and pop today either.

I posted last year about this full-on Greek Adonis of a FOX in my yard. This dude was well fed and proud of it walking thru just outside my window. I'd earlier guessed it was a coyote but there was no mistaking on a slow saunter across the yard.  

We ate rabbit once a week as a kid in SoCal.

I get it.

Had my first ever Red Head Woodpecker on the suet Sunday.  Photo is not mine, got it off the web.  I am hoping to see it again when i have my phone handy so i can get a photo.

red head.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, F395 said:

Had my first ever Red Head Woodpecker on the suet Sunday.  

Verrey nice!  Ussialley finde them in confier forrestes, they licke sippeng sap.                   :)

On 5/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Verrey nice!  Ussialley finde them in confier forrestes, they licke sippeng sap.                   :)

I once dated a white-breasted sap sucker.

• Like 1

Here's a real conundrum: How has this solo bunny kept alive over the last two weeks? It hops around like there are no coons, foxes, hawks, crows, cats ... I see a parent occasionally but they do not appear with this tough little outlier/outcast with four very lucky rabbits' feet.

1077610707_20210524_110739(1).jpg

On 5/20/2021 at 6:15 PM, See Level said:

Little dude just hovered there waiting for me to refill the feeder.

IMG_20210519_141305950~2.jpg

Which one is it; never seen one like that?  Only ruby throat around here, I think?

I built 6 bird houses over the Winter which my Daughter painted/decorated. At first the little birdies seemed not to appreciate our efforts. Thnigs are improving of late. Have two different wren couples in the bird houses in the front lawn. One set have laid their eggs and we may even have hatchlings now judging by the racket coming from that birdbox.

The other couple are singing up a storm and building their nest.

We purposely made the bird houses with small holes 7/8" (wrens) up to 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" (finches and chickadees).

Finches, upon reading up on their mating habits, do not get busy until June, so I anticipate the other bird boxes to be occupied in the coming weeks.

In order to attract the finches, (Common, Purple, and Golden) I have bought a 50 pound bag of Nyjer seed. Gawd awfully expensive, Amazon sells for $85 for 50lbs. We usually feed the birds with Oiled Sunflower and Millet mix from Costco at like $16 per 40 lbs bag, which is a bargain at $0.40 per lbs and great for Winter feeding of all the hungry creatures.
Anyone have a cheaper source for Nyjer/Thistle seed? Little birds dig this stuff from what I have read but we can't spend $1.70 per pound and I really want to attract more finches and little birds.

33 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

I built 6 bird houses over the Winter which my Daughter painted/decorated. At first the little birdies seemed not to appreciate our efforts. Thnigs are improving of late. Have two different wren couples in the bird houses in the front lawn. One set have laid their eggs and we may even have hatchlings now judging by the racket coming from that birdbox.

The other couple are singing up a storm and building their nest.

We purposely made the bird houses with small holes 7/8" (wrens) up to 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" (finches and chickadees).

Finches, upon reading up on their mating habits, do not get busy until June, so I anticipate the other bird boxes to be occupied in the coming weeks.

In order to attract the finches, (Common, Purple, and Golden) I have bought a 50 pound bag of Nyjer seed. Gawd awfully expensive, Amazon sells for $85 for 50lbs. We usually feed the birds with Oiled Sunflower and Millet mix from Costco at like $16 per 40 lbs bag, which is a bargain at $0.40 per lbs and great for Winter feeding of all the hungry creatures.
Anyone have a cheaper source for Nyjer/Thistle seed? Little birds dig this stuff from what I have read but we can't spend $1.70 per pound and I really want to attract more finches and little birds.

Local Walmart sells feeders full for 3 or 4 bucks, so the feeder is FREE.  Goldfinches also especially like sunflower hearts, with out the shells, which are as pricey as Nyjer, and the squirrels will empty it in short order, if allowed. 

MIssus BB finally hung the 2 birdhouses I bought last year, but never got around to hanging.   No activity yet, but hope springs eternal....

11 hours ago, See Level said:

This explains why I have never seen one on the east coast......

Tried to copy and paste a map, with no results, these are only on the left coast....

On 5/24/2021 at 11:03 AM, Blue Crab said:

Here's a real conundrum: How has this solo bunny kept alive over the last two weeks? It hops around like there are no coons, foxes, hawks, crows, cats ... I see a parent occasionally but they do not appear with this tough little outlier/outcast with four very lucky rabbits' feet.

Bugs+Bunny+Gets+the+Boid+(13).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Juste aftere dinnere on the deck, Mom Bob White and sixe chickes came walkleng on throuht the yarde, into the veggie garden, thus riddeng us of manney pestulantte bugges........

Beforre tonihte nevere sawe such a birde in my neihborhoode...........             goode ole Fourthe of July......    :)

• 4 weeks later...

We don’t have a bird feeder. And I wasn’t home to see what visited yesterday. But I suspect a California Condor. We have the windows out of one living room wall for replacement … low security.  Someone came in and tossed the room pretty good. Chewed the upholstery. Knocked stuff off the shelves. Upset hung paintings. Dragged the litter baskets and rugs around the room. Pulled the cushions off the sofa. Big fun. 

23 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

No evidence of species? Surprising.

No poop. No feathers. No bad smell. But they have a history here. And they have been soaring around lately. A few years ago they were chewing on my chainsaw. Destroyed my earmuffs too. Bastards. We lucky they didn’t find the kitchen this time.