15-mins-cropped.jpg

Gotta say, I really enjoy doing our 15 Minutes of Fame interview series, and I promise that one of these times, I won't suck as much...

Next Wednesday we are having designer Bob Perry as our guest. One of the most colorful and prolific designers anywhere, he no doubt is going to have some great stories to share. And you bet your ass we're gonna talk way too much about the Flying Tiger...

And as has become our new normal, I want you Anarchists to chime in with questions for Bob. Jump in the thread here and let's light this candle.

• Like 1

For a designer that is more mature, (older) you have a big presence on SA and Facebook.  You are very open about talking about your designs, projects and answering questions from the peanut gallery.   I don't know of any other designers that do that.    Care to comment on why you have such a presence and not any others?

Designing is art, each designer has their own unique styles and talents that set them apart.  Of his contemporaries, young and old, what are some of these traits he admires and how have they shaped his own approach.

I've wondered what Bob thinks, from a design perspective, of the Kettenburg boats.  (There's something that just seems "right" about the cabin proportions & coachroof crowns of the Kettenburg-designed boats.)

• Like 1

What design is he jealous of?

What was the single best advice he ever got?

What was the best he gave?

Who is allowed to give him sh*t? 

Among current production designs, is there anything that has impressed him lately. And why not?

Bob, will we ever get to find out the owner of the carbon cutters?

Scot, can you please get a lamp that doesn't make you look like Johnny Winter?

It's a little distracting from the conversation.

1 minute ago, See Level said:

Bob, will we ever get to find out the owner of the carbon cutters?

Scot, can you please get a lamp that doesn't make you look like Johnny Winter?

It's a little distracting from the conversation.

i know, right?! i have been experimenting with lighting but i cant get it right so i have a ring light and tripod coming that should fix it. and i'll have my makeup artist gf help me get it all set up. she knows a thing or two about sets...

otherwise, am i doing a decent job?

What was a "design that got away"...an awesome proposal or brief of note that the owner passed on?

21 years ago, I asked Bruce Nelson how to become a yacht designer.  He told me to go to business school and become a banker.  I hated that advice and eventually became a banker, one of the worst periods of my life.  What advice would you give to a 23 year old asking the same question?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Did he ever have one of those days/weeks/years when he said "Fuck it, I'm quitting this yacht design and I'm going to be a X."?

If so, what caused it and what was the X?

His X was to play in the Springfield Rifles rock band. He loves what he does. He will never retire as long as he has ideas and clients.

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Can you tell us the three stupidest owner requests you've ever been given?

And what is the most innovative thing (boat, feature, whatever) an owner has ever asked you to design?

Brilliant questions!

My Brit auto mechanic once told me about his craziest customer request.

Customer: "Ok, here's this brand new Rolls Royce. Make it fifteen centimeters shorter! Cost no matter." 

Auto mechanic: "Next Wednesday ok? ...Oh, and may I ask why?"

Customer: "Thats all the space I have on my yacht."

:)

The FT seemed promising as a design, and was initially offered at an amazing price point.  Yet the class stalled after a year or two with owners bickering, sales falling off, and OD racing that never got traction.

What happened?  Was it over promised/under delivered by the builder,  lack of dealer network and after-the-sale support, inconsistent quality control, inconsistent production of hulls making some more competitive than others, poor class management, crazy owners, or did it just die a natural death?  This website invested a lot of effort supporting you, the builder, and the class, and seems like there was potential for a different outcome.

• Like 1

Well as the design had shall we say a lot of input from SA will start with a few about the FT10.

With the benefit of many years hindsight, is there anything you would do differently with the design of the boat if you had the opportunity to do like a Mark 2 version/i.e. tweaks?

Is there some things with that you were very happy the way they turned out and would not change a thing with.

Was all the input from SA welcomed or did you feel like your were designing a boat for a mass of different owners all with different opinions on how it should be done/frustrating.

Always a loaded question-what is your favorite boat you have penned.  What was your favorite design penned by another.

You have worked with a lot of different builders over the years, what does it take to have a successful marriage of designer and builder?  What are shall we say, some of the less than optimal experiences you have had with builders (of course without naming names on that part of the question).

Is there a feeling of euphoria when a design is built/finished, a feeling of sadness that the particular job is done/finish line reached, or a combination of both.

As this website has a bit of a racing flavor, it seems at times with all levels that there can be a bit of burnout from doing the same thing (Windward/Leewards, etc) over many decades.  Is there something that helps keep the design process fresh for you so to speak?

Kind of a similar question to earlier but what makes up a good commission of a new design i.e. client and again without naming names, what constitutes a frustrating commission.

Scot to answer an earlier up post question, I think you are doing a great job.  As I am not local(West Michigan here) I don't have the benefit of listening to your radio show but you must have been good at it.  Content is a big one for me,  perhaps it makes me less of a person, but have seen many of these lately on different sources but I tend to prefer the entertaining ones vs the technical ones.  By that I mean I very much enjoyed two that Ken Read did and there was some anecdotal things he said where you felt like you were having a beer with him and he was pretty funny in them.  There have been some others on the speed/technical side of things that were done by experts and very well done, but felt a little less relatable to a guy who does beer can racing.

Sorry for the long post, keep up the good work and will look forward to what Bob has to say.

20 hours ago, Editor said:

i know, right?! i have been experimenting with lighting but i cant get it right so i have a ring light and tripod coming that should fix it. and i'll have my makeup artist gf help me get it all set up. she knows a thing or two about sets...

otherwise, am i doing a decent job?

Each one is getting better!  Keep trying to draw the stories out.  Stu was really good.  Given the long history of j boats that could be another few hours...

11 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Damn, having another Acid Flashback hearing the Rifle after all these years.  Shit Bob, you coulda been someone instead of an itinerant yacht designer.  ROTFLMFAO!

NO Zenny! Think of all the cool boats we would be missing if he was a rock star!

How do you see the design of cruising monohulls developing onwards from noew? Do you think we will see a trickle down effect with foils and wing sails a regular cruising BenBavHun type boat in the immediate future?

What's your biggest professional design mistake?

Question for Bob:

You cycle young talent through your office (not sure of the frequency).  What do you look for in an intern?  Does having interns come through drive you to keep going or generate new ideas?

6 minutes ago, kdh said:

What is a "Barbra Streisand chair?"

It's a chair with 40,000 volts and 500 amps of current attached to the arm rests and bottom cushion.

Had he ever walked away last way through a job because he couldn't deal with the client any longer?

How much will he put up with when he knows that the client is wrong, as the design will still have his name on it?

If he was going to be given one of his designs nowa his own body, and the running costs covered, which would it be any why?

1 hour ago, Editor said:

God damnit, I didn't get to all the questions and i'm sorry about that. Bob is an old school story teller, and we ran out of time. Any interest in a part 2 to this interview? It is now on the front page.

Not like you to ask dumb questions Ed. ;)

2 hours ago, Editor said:

God damnit, I didn't get to all the questions and i'm sorry about that. Bob is an old school story teller, and we ran out of time. Any interest in a part 2 to this interview? It is now on the front page.

Excellent interview with Bob, Scott. Big interest in a Part 2 interview here.

8 hours ago, Editor said:

Does a hobby horse have a wooden dick?

• Like 1
On 4/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, Black Sox said:

Did he ever have one of those days/weeks/years when he said "Fuck it, I'm quitting this yacht design and I'm going to be a X."?

If so, what caused it and what was the X?

On 4/24/2020 at 11:09 PM, kimbottles said:

His X was to play in the Springfield Rifles rock band. He loves what he does. He will never retire as long as he has ideas and clients.

Aaaaaaaaand his X turned out to be Physiotherapist. Who'd a thunk?

• Like 2
On 4/29/2020 at 6:16 PM, Editor said:

loved bob's interview. definately yes on a part 2 (3, 4, ...).

• Like 2

Nice interview, @Bob Perry seems to be the kind of guy you want to have on board when you are stuck on a windy and rainy day locked under deck playing cards, chatting about boats, sea and bragging about past passages!!!! He certainly has lot of interesting stories to tell.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2020 at 11:27 AM, Misbehavin' said:

If you're doing a part two, I would like to know which boats he has owned/currently owns?

I'll 2nd that- and if he prefers racing or cruising, and get him to expound a bit on his overall sailing experience.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Nice interview, @Bob Perry seems to be the kind of guy you want to have on board when you are stuck on a windy and rainy day locked under deck playing cards, chatting about boats, sea and bragging about past passages!!!! He certainly has lot of interesting stories to tell.

Bob is a blast to have on board, one of my favorite crew.

• Like 2

I enjoyed hearing Bob for the first time. He is definitely relatable to guys like us, knows how to tell a good story, and has good stories to tell.

Hint: The story of Scot in the bar of some yacht club talking to a famous designer was a little pointless.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard from Bob recently? I've sent him an email and PM days ago. Also noticed that he's not been active since May 28th which is unusual. Not sure if he's ok and I should take the hint or whether he's not well. I hope that Bob or a family member did not get C19. My Sister In-LAw (who lives in NYC) was on a vent for 3 weeks. 

Good to hear. Now I can rest assured that he's well and focused on bigger things.  It's great to see people fully employed in this most difficult time. I hear what I hear. I also hear what I'm not hearing, loud and clear.