Racing 2020? Who Are We Kidding?

Well I've just about scratched the last of planned regattas from my 2020 calendar and am staring at a year of "off the book" races we're organizing ourselves outta sheer boredom.  That and alone time on the board-boat might be all the time on the H2O I see this year.  So enquiring minds wanna know...will there be ANY organized racing?  Will the rescheduled Melges 24 Worlds 2020 really happen before the clock strikes midnight on 2020?  Are any of your plans gonna pan out?

Here's to you Covid-19

middle-finger.jpg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I just finished building this up.  I know what I'm going to be doing.

Purdey.jpg

damn that is an old girl! once ya get her moving she will be good on the flats and gently rolling

21 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

damn that is an old girl! once ya get her moving she will be good on the flats and gently rolling

Hey! She's not that old, maybe 8, nor that heavy.  The only thing holding her back on the climbs will be my legs!

IMG_2567.jpg

We won’t be racing in 2021 either at this rate, especially not for international races. S2H is a local race at best until a vaccine, probably not until 2022.

The lockdowns have only delayed the outbreak in most states (other than NYC and NJ).  As soon as cool weather is back, cases will jump quickly again, and we’re right back where we were in March, except greatly impoverished.

We should be using the spring and summer to build herd immunity among children and the young, who are almost entirely unaffected. Sweden gets it, taking some pain early for a quicker  recovery.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Hey! She's not that old, maybe 8, nor that heavy.  The only thing holding her back on the climbs will be my legs!

IMG_2567.jpg

Sorry looked like a steel or aluminum frame in the photo

4 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

We won’t be racing in 2021 either at this rate, especially not for international races. S2H is a local race at best until a vaccine, probably not until 2022.

The lockdowns have only delayed the outbreak in most states (other than NYC and NJ).  As soon as cool weather is back, cases will jump quickly again, and we’re right back where we were in March, except greatly impoverished.

We should be using the spring and summer to build herd immunity among children and the young, who are almost entirely unaffected. Sweden gets it, taking some pain early for a quicker  recovery.

All fine if catching the disease actually creates immunity, so far that is unclear. Having  a section of the population catch the disease may have no effect whatever on 'herd' immunity. Maybe it will work, maybe it wont.

I think for us BBS may be the first regatta.  Possibly Long Point, a small regatta out of Newport Beach, late in the year.

We had the Puerto Vallata Race and MEXORC in March.  Were those the last regattas run in 2020? 

16 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

All fine if catching the disease actually creates immunity, so far that is unclear. Having  a section of the population catch the disease may have no effect whatever on 'herd' immunity. Maybe it will work, maybe it wont.

If catching it doesn’t give immunity, then there is no hope for a vaccine either. I think that’s less likely though.
And if the immunity is very short, then the best course of action could be for everyone to get it quickly, so that it dies out before immunity dissipates.

In any case, it seems that large portions of population are almost entirely unaffected (or possibly don’t even catch it). I think we really need to find out who they are and why, and let those people go on with their lives.

45 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

If catching it doesn’t give immunity, then there is no hope for a vaccine either. I think that’s less likely though.
And if the immunity is very short, then the best course of action could be for everyone to get it quickly, so that it dies out before immunity dissipates.

In any case, it seems that large portions of population are almost entirely unaffected (or possibly don’t even catch it). I think we really need to find out who they are and why, and let those people go on with their lives.

My personal approach is to try to reduce the 'if's' before embarking on a course of action which might not be reversible.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

21 yr old kid just died here. Was healthy as could be before Covid. 

Love the people who say sure send your kids back to school etc. but don’t send mine. 

Yep. Getting out of this will end up being numbers game. With the world’s 3rd largest population, it won’t be without losses though. I know that sounds flippant or uncaring, but I suspect much like in war, society will have to accept higher risks.

In NZ the Optimist Nationals have been rescheduled from Easter to November and the Starlings (junior class - 100 boats at Nats) to early December from mid-April.

Keelboat winter series have all been delayed from their usual early May start, Now looking at mid-May if our lock down recovery goes according to schedule. I suspect the short handed divisions will be popular......

• 3 weeks later...