How about taking this topic down a slightly different route....

Over the last 50 years we have all been consuming way to many calories, even worse we are throwing away untold of tons of them.

What I have noticed over the past few weeks in lock-down is that my calorific intake has decreased, I am not saying moving from 'junk' food to organic food, just eating less.  With a possible famine (possible rationing in developed economies), either through production or distribution becoming a possibility as C19 drags us down, is this a pivotal point for us in the developed economies to change our eating and health habits?

We have all fallen for the story hook line and sinker that more is better, maybe now is the time for a major paradigm shift in the way we consume calories.  I have no issue with fish, meats and vegetables,  the thought is just how much is enough...  The impact could be multi level, with better health equaling lower medical costs, food prices will rise but should be more or less the same dollar amount for what is needed to get the required calorie requirements.

I for one love my food, and have made in a life time habit of eating the best food in every country I visit...food and alcohol is really the for glue of society and we must evaluate how less can be more whilst giving us a higher quality of life and hopefully livelihood. 

Flame away...but well worth considering in the brave new world we are entering.

MKF

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

What states?

MS

Yes, Vermont DID Restrict the Sale of Seeds in Some Stores ‘cuz COVID-19

I think there were a few other midwest states , but couldn't find them on a google search

• Like 1

I find myself eating more, cooking more, snacking more.

An acquaintance of mine has a great line: I promised that I would lose 25 lbs this year.  Only 35 to go.

Moronic troll g7tunison now brings the total on my ignore list to 10 posters.  I've been posting here for the last 12 years and until recently there was never more that 1-3 posters on ignore.  'Murikah is circling the bowl faster and faster in  our accelerating race against ourselves to the bottom.....

Like the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. said:

image.png.a7be66c1a512e50a32e6a5b6e15a3005.png

Michigan restricted the sale of seeds.  Of course the governor also pointed out that our planting doesn't begin for another couple weeks.  We had snow a couple days ago! And repeated days of 30 degree temps.  Pure Michigan.

32 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Michigan restricted the sale of seeds.  Of course the governor also pointed out that our planting doesn't begin for another couple weeks.  We had snow a couple days ago! And repeated days of 30 degree temps.  Pure Michigan.

No they did not. That's not what the order says nor is it what the fact checkers on the claims of the ban say (e.g. Politifact). If you want to cite some counter evidence, I'd be happy to read it. 

Look, I don't agree with the restriction on garden centers and all that, but going from what the order says to "OMG!!! they're banning seed sales! It's a conspiracy" is just a bit much.

52 minutes ago, DustyDreamer said:

This alleged ban on the sales of seeds is of course horse shit. I'm literally not even going to bother debunking it, but you can always read... e.g. Whitmer's executive order

And... pro-tip: if you are buying your seed from Home Despot or some other big box store, yer doin it wrong. 

My preferred sources include Johnny's and Seedsavers.org

You apparently like spending extra money for inferior product. Probably lured by advertising.

20 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

You apparently like spending extra money for inferior product. Probably lured by advertising.

I'm a commercial farmer. I grow specialty crops. You? 

I buy from Seedsavers because they are a good value for heirloom varieties - I then seed save to improve for my conditions. I also like to support their work. Johnny's is hands-down the best source for large quantities and they do a lot of development on hybrids that can get you an edge in the market. 

Edit: to be clear, I don't generally buy seeds by the packet. If you do, then I can imagine Johnny's isn't a good deal. But Seedsavers is decent and I'm usually only buying once since they are all OP. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Like the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. said:

image.png.a7be66c1a512e50a32e6a5b6e15a3005.png

Holy cow, blast from the past there... that was funny as shit.

For a while, my life -was- an episode of the Freak Bros. Except we had cars that ran, and dogs. I was hoping for Cheech Wizard but maybe I'm lucky that never actually became reality.

- DSK

2 hours ago, DustyDreamer said:

No they did not. That's not what the order says nor is it what the fact checkers on the claims of the ban say (e.g. Politifact). If you want to cite some counter evidence, I'd be happy to read it. 

Look, I don't agree with the restriction on garden centers and all that, but going from what the order says to "OMG!!! they're banning seed sales! It's a conspiracy" is just a bit much.

OK.  So lets be specific.  Michigan banned access to non-essential items.  That includes garden centers.

I happen to live here (do you?) and have seen the caution tape stretched across the gardening aisles at Lowes, and Home Depot.  Green houses are all closed.

https://m.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/04/10/michigans-new-stay-at-home-order-restricts-access-to-gardening-and-home-improvement-sections-in-grocery-stores

I'm not going to spend time looking up the executive orders to see if they say seeds explicitly.  But the DE-FACTO result is that many gardeners don't have access to the locations they normally purchase seeds at.

I'm completely in favor of the stay at home, including the newest one yesterday that triggered the emergency alert system on all our phones.  However, it's been somewhat confusing because the governor made the mistake of not making it clear what the distinctions were.  I'm not sure if it would have been possible to do effectively, but in retrospect the way its been done could be improved.

Still immeasurably better than what I'm hearing from my friends in Georgia.

3 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I'm not going to spend time looking up the executive orders to see if they say seeds explicitly.

Yet you are prepared to say that explicitly. Knowing (I hope) that there is a very significant difference between the two things. 

Ok... have fun with that!

26 minutes ago, DustyDreamer said:

Yet you are prepared to say that explicitly. Knowing (I hope) that there is a very significant difference between the two things. 

Ok... have fun with that!

So did you read my post, or are you just trying to be an asshole?

My initial post said restricted, which is factual.  Whether that is indirect or direct, the result is the same.

Tell me now if your just going to be an asshole and I'll put you on ignore.  Life is too short to deal with people like that.

Commercial growers with five acres or more are not restricted by the companies that have cited a shortage and will not deliver to home gardeners at this time.

7 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Actually she didnt.  She restricted big box stores and people congregating.  All of the local lawn and garden and hardware stores were open.  If you wanted to go to Home Depot you couldnt, but you could go to your neighborhood ACE with no problem.

MS