CL16 & Velocity Boatworks

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to get in contact with them for weeks - finally got an email response last week but then nothing since.

Looking for parts to get out on the water and it's hard to find someone to take my money!

4 hours ago, buckleup2 said:

Been trying to get in contact with them for weeks - finally got an email response last week but then nothing since.

Looking for parts to get out on the water and it's hard to find someone to take my money!

Go old school. Phone them. If the parts aren't too CL specific, try binnacle.ca

On 5/15/2020 at 1:15 AM, Bill5 said:

Go old school. Phone them. If the parts aren't too CL specific, try binnacle.ca

Ohh I went old school out of the gate, but the phone number was disconnected. Fella mentioned it in the email that they're moving and will have the phone back up and running again soon. Doesn't bode well though..

Thanks for the alternative!

1 minute ago, Coquina012 said:

What do you need? The CL16 is a licensed Wayfarer build, and I don't see anything unique about ours, which is not to disparage the boat.  

Licensed?

Maybe licensed is the wrong word.  CL Boatworks were original Wayfarer builders in the 1960s, then built with permission after that.  I don't think there is anything special about them, but I like ours, and it will plane and has good manners.  They are reputed to be rugged and ours is.  I see them more as a small camping cruiser than a race/planing boat.  I have come to understand that is the type of sailboat I most like.  Enough taht I have considered building an Oughtred Fulmar, which is said to be a lapstrake, somewhat larger version of the Wayfarers.   I hear they are out of business in the last few months.  But I only have information from the internet--mine is on the West Coast of CA, and it is one of very few out here.  

1 hour ago, Coquina012 said:

...  CL Boatworks were original Wayfarer builders in the 1960s, then built with permission after that.  I don't think there is anything special about them, but I like ours, and it will plane and has good manners.  They are reputed to be rugged and ours is.  I see them more as a small camping cruiser than a race/planing boat. 

Wayfarers are great boats... definitely something special about them.

Not a flighty, lightweight racer but pretty quick, very well mannered, seaworthy, roomy... they've been popular for a very long time for very good reasons. 

Cheers,

W.

4 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

Wayfarers are great boats... definitely something special about them.

Not a flighty, lightweight racer but pretty quick, very well mannered, seaworthy, roomy... they've been popular for a very long time for very good reasons. 

Cheers,

W.

I had a Wayfarer for a few years in the 90’s. I liked it a lot. The CL 16 is virtually identical, other than a double bottom and an option for a trapeze. CL also made scaled down versions - CL 14 and CL 11. 

My avatar is a Herreshoff Coquina replica--my 9th scratch build.  LIttle by little I have come prefer the Wayfarer type planing cruiser over anything.  I built one more boat after that, a 19'6" crab dredge, but I really have the itch to build something a little larger and a little more roomy than the Wayfarer--but still a planing cruiser.  One idea that has been a-thumping and a-kicking around in my (muh) head is a detuned i550....I am somewhat suffering from analysis paralysis at the moment.  If plans existed for an Osprey (they don't) that would be it.  End of search.  

On 5/17/2020 at 12:39 PM, Coquina012 said:

What do you need? The CL16 is a licensed Wayfarer build, and I don't see anything unique about ours, which is not to disparage the boat.  

I've got a growing list. So far:
- tiller and extension
- spreader bars
- the jib cleats
- the main sheet block assembly (what I have is original to the boat, made of bakelite, looks cool but moves like shit)
- jib sheet lines (not sure how long or diameter, boat came with none on sail)
- main sheet lines (not sure how long or diameter)

I'd really love to get a document or booklet that they'd include with new boats. Specs and basic info, so then I could start drawing from the Wayfarer and the CL14 for replacement ideas.

I like the idea of having a reliable, stable boat that I can sleep on if I wanted

And all these years, had no idea the seats came out. Took them out to refinish the wood last night and that's a neat feature. What else am I going to find?

14 minutes ago, buckleup2 said:

- tiller and extension
- spreader bars
- the jib cleats
- the main sheet block assembly (what I have is original to the boat, made of bakelite, looks cool but moves like shit)

I'd really love to get a document or booklet that they'd include with new boats. Specs and basic info, so then I could start drawing from the Wayfarer and the CL14 for replacement ideas.

I like the idea of having a reliable, stable boat that I can sleep on if I wanted

And all these years, had no idea the seats came out. Took them out to refinish the wood last night and that's a neat feature. What else am I going to find?

And batons. I have one..

2 hours ago, buckleup2 said:

- tiller and extension
- spreader bars
- the jib cleats

Call Binnacle and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Also - try SailWest Sailboats -  sailwest.com.  They have been a CL dealer out here for years and likely have a decent parts inventory. Both places have always given me excellent service.