Washington State/British Columbia Bottom Paint

Understand Washington State is reconsidering it ban on bottom paint containing  copper.  Expect decision by the end of the year.  I am looking at doing a complete bottom job this fall and have plans to sail to the PNW in 2021 and would like to know what bottom  paint most likely will be acceptable.  What about the coppercoat system.  Some things I have read say Washington will do Like San Diego and have a limit of how much metals can leech out of the paint.  Don't want to do a bottom job prior to going to the PNW only to have to remove it in a couple of years. 

I wouldn't overthink it.  Bottom growth in the PNW is almost non existent compared to warmer water south.  Call Fisheries supply in Seattle and get a recommendation of what everyone is using.  The decisions are going to most likely be more about sailing performance than anything else.

The ban is against purchase and application of these products.  If you've already got it on the bottom, then you don't have to remove it.  (but never say never....)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Veeger said:

The ban is against purchase and application of these products.  If you've already got it on the bottom, then you don't have to remove it.  (but never say never....)

So what do I do in 2 to 3 years when I need to haul out and touch up the leading edges and waterline if I can't purchase and apply it.  

Bring up a spare can of paint and find a diy boatyard...

Have to say, you guys seem to get a lot of life out of bottom paint, we have to repaint every year down here in Oz..

3 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Bring up a spare can of paint and find a diy boatyard...

Have to say, you guys seem to get a lot of life out of bottom paint, we have to repaint every year down here in Oz..

It's a little tighter now, you'll need Canuck certified paint to do it in Canada if you get this far. We get a year out of Micron CSC, then a haulout with pressure wash, touch up the thin bits and go around the waterline. 5 quarts first coat, one quart on the touchup for the second year. 

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's a little tighter now, you'll need Canuck certified paint to do it in Canada if you get this far. We get a year out of Micron CSC, then a haulout with pressure wash, touch up the thin bits and go around the waterline. 5 quarts first coat, one quart on the touchup for the second year. 

In olden times when the exchange rate was good it made huge sense to haul in BC, good work decent yard options etc. I really liked Sydney.  Other than only having about four inches to swing the boat 360 to get into the lift, it was a nice yard, cheep hotels nearby used to be a prop shop and electronics place next to it.  They let us do all our own work as well.

Your best bet is to talk to one of the bigger chandleries. Seattle or BC.

I'm surprised more people don't do that. Prices are about the same dollar amount but the conversion makes your money go, at the moment, 42% farther.

An unfortunate side effect of this discount is all our good boats have sold across the border and they're really expensive to buy back.

3 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

In olden times when the exchange rate was good it made huge sense to haul in BC, good work decent yard options etc. I really liked Sydney.  Other than only having about four inches to swing the boat 360 to get into the lift, it was a nice yard, cheep hotels nearby used to be a prop shop and electronics place next to it.  They let us do all our own work as well.

Your best bet is to talk to one of the bigger chandleries. Seattle or BC.

Sounds like you hauled out at Van Isle. We're across Tsehum Harbour at Westport. Good facilities in both places.

But, let's suppose you happened to have a couple of gallons of really knarly stuff in ships stores when you arrived in Canada. Most DYI yards seem to allow you to apply it yourself. They can't, but you can. At least that is what I have found. As far as the fouling potential, it seems at least as high in the PNW as in say, SF Bay. So far I've found neither Micron CSC or Petit Eco  did a very good job of discouraging grass and slime. Trinidad SR with Irgarol much better. Next I'm trying Hydrocoat with Irgarol. 

On 5/1/2020 at 7:19 PM, SUbsailor said:

I am looking at doing a complete bottom job this fall and have plans to sail to the PNW in 2021 and would like to know what bottom  paint most likely will be acceptable.  What about the coppercoat system.  

I use Micron CSC, and just dive on it regularly.

Re: cruising the coast, you may find this worth checking out:  https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2572803596371132&id=1798507723800727

19 hours ago, DDW said:

But, let's suppose you happened to have a couple of gallons of really knarly stuff in ships stores when you arrived in Canada. Most DYI yards seem to allow you to apply it yourself. They can't, but you can.

Well that is certainly the approach I'd take. I'm sure the boatyards aren't out there inspecting paint cans for contraband paint!

36 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Well that is certainly the approach I'd take. I'm sure the boatyards aren't out there inspecting paint cans for contraband paint!

Westport has a sign in their office window that only Canadian-approved paint is to be used in their yard. I suspect the yard guys keep an eye out for strange new paint cans, but if the labels are missing...