My Tohatsu 6 with 20" shaft recently froze, so I'm in the market for a new outboard for my J27.  I mostly motor to get in and out of the marina, but on longer trips, I have motored several hours when the wind died.  I'm interested in brand recommendations and HP.  The 6 HP was nice but seemed like overkill at times.

LM

58 minutes ago, leosergio06 said:

The 6 HP was nice but seemed like overkill at times.

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

I'd stay with the 6.

20 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

I'd stay with the 6.

+1

I have a J/80, and for the usual bullshit that occurs in a summer around here, I have a Yamaha 6 HP. The 80 is around 900 lbs lighter than the 27, too.  For OD racing, I'd prefer something lighter possibly, but even one of the other local J/80's with a Torqueedo and extra battery weighs about the same as the Yamaha. I have an internal fuel tank option so if OD racing was a real thing locally I'd leave the external tank on the dock.  I could see getting away with a smaller motor if the only thing the boat did was race, but it goes for daysails and the occasional weekend journey.

LM

Do you know how or why the 6hp froze? Was it the engine or the drive-gears? Did it happen while running, or after it sat unused? 

After 12+ years my n=1 experience with my Tohatsu 6hp was been good. Not great, but good. 

Snubs

When I owned a J/27, I had a 8hp long shaft.  I could motor into 30 knot winds at 5-6 knots, way too much motor, but great for a delivery.

I eventually got tired of lifting it off the back of the boat for each race and bought a 4hp mercury becuase it was the lightest 4hp available.  I want to say 37lbs.  Much easier getting it on and off before racing and stowing it down below.  It also did quite well for deliveries if there was flat water.  If there was a head wind or waves, you were better off sailing.

I think if you can find a light 6hp, that would be perfect.

I have a Tohatsu 6 Sailpro Extra Long. It's perfect for my Dolphin 24, but a monster to take out for sailing, and to stow. The 60# is kinda manageable, but the chest-high length is a pain.

Tohatsu 4-6hp motors are basically the same. To get significantly smaller/lighter you'd have to drop to a 2-3hp.  AFAIK all brands have a similar size break.  A 37# 4hp Mercury sounds like a hot setup.

Thanks for all the feedback.  To snubber - My local Tohatsu technician with 30+ years of experience has no idea what happened to the engine but feels it is probably not cost-effective to tear it down. The engine has been well taken care of, serviced regularly, and was running last season.  When I went to start it this season, after wintering in the garage,  it was frozen.  He did the usual stuff, removing the cartridge, checked the oil, and loosening the bottom section to see if he could get the driveshaft to budge - nothing.  It seems it is something in the powerhead - not gears.   He has never seen a Tohatsu freeze up like this.  I'm going to get a second opinion and then keep it as a project, but I'm not counting on getting it going.  Whats stage is that it would freeze completely after sitting, without a catastrophic event.

LM

1 minute ago, leosergio06 said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  To snubber - My local Tohatsu technician with 30+ years of experience has no idea what happened to the engine but feels it is probably not cost-effective to tear it down. The engine has been well taken care of, serviced regularly, and was running last season.  When I went to start it this season, after wintering in the garage,  it was frozen.  He did the usual stuff, removing the cartridge, checked the oil, and loosening the bottom section to see if he could get the driveshaft to budge - nothing.  It seems it is something in the powerhead - not gears.   He has never seen a Tohatsu freeze up like this.  I'm going to get a second opinion and then keep it as a project, but I'm not counting on getting it going.  Whats stage is that it would freeze completely after sitting, without a catastrophic event.

LM

LM. Thanks for the background. Strange indeed. I can imagine a few ways it could have seized (dropped a valve, spun bearing, jammed the drive shaft); but while sitting? Odd.

Snubs

Probably not what happened but I have a Suzuki 2.5 which will often freeze up after being left sitting - oil tends to seep into the cylinder over time, especially if left on it's side. Remove spark plug and crank it over a few times to flush out the oil usually does the job.