Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just swabbed for CV today.  Not pleasant, but I've had cameras put into my throat though my nose a number of times over 3 decades, so I was feted as a very good performer (didn't scream or vomit).

Now I need to quarantine until the results come back (48 - 72 hours).  Feels a bit strange, but better to know you aren't spreading it around.

Swab was discoloured, so there's definitely some sort of infection - seems low risk of it being CV19, but the medicos thought it worth testing.

And in my case they swabbed BOTH the throat and the nose, not just one - change of procedure?

Anyone else?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep was tested back in March when I got back from Milan. Came back Negative but after discussion with a doctor mate of mine we are pretty sure we all had it when we were in Italy in mid to late Feb. The family spent 3 weeks driving around northern Italy- 4 days in Florence, 5 days in Milan and 3 days at a ski resort near the Austrian boarder. My son had been living there for 8 months and his flatmate Roco was diagnosed with it after we got home and we all ate a meal he cooked for us. I Must have come into contact with at least 10 000 people playing tourists. We all had symptoms and I was totally fucked for a couple of days. 

I will be very interested in having the antibody test when it becomes available. I just hope they don’t have to shove that fucking swab up my nose and into my brain cavity again. 

It is like when I had Aids- I don’t want to catch that again.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My SO returned to work Monday.  I suggested maybe it's best to get tested so you know you're not spreading the virus and, if possible, get the antibody test so you know if you've already had it.

The SO calls the doctor inquiring about these tests. 

The nurse who answered said, "We only test patients with symptoms."

"You mean I have to go to work not knowing if I am spreading the virus?"

"We don't test healthy patients."

"No contact tracing?"

"We don't do that."

"So, I have to go to work not knowing if I am a carrier."

"I'm sorry.  I can't help you with that."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jules said:

My SO returned to work Monday.  I suggested maybe it's best to get tested so you know you're not spreading the virus and, if possible, get the antibody test so you know if you've already had it.

The SO calls the doctor inquiring about these tests. 

The nurse who answered said, "We only test patients with symptoms."

"You mean I have to go to work not knowing if I am spreading the virus?"

"We don't test healthy patients."

"No contact tracing?"

"We don't do that."

"So, I have to go to work not knowing if I am a carrier."

"I'm sorry.  I can't help you with that."

It is the Through The Looking Glass method. Or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My parents are in their 90s and in an elderly care home.  Everyone was tested a week or so ago.

Only one person in the building came back positive.  They have been isolated in their rooms for several weeks.

The staff is probably the source of the one positive.  The dining hall is closed and staff deliver meals to the room.

The family cannot visit even to drop off a care package.

My brother visits them by standing outside the window with his dog and grandchildren.

It has to be especially brutal for those without a living spouse and failing mental faculties.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jules said:

My SO returned to work Monday.  I suggested maybe it's best to get tested so you know you're not spreading the virus and, if possible, get the antibody test so you know if you've already had it.

The SO calls the doctor inquiring about these tests. 

The nurse who answered said, "We only test patients with symptoms."

"You mean I have to go to work not knowing if I am spreading the virus?"

"We don't test healthy patients."

"No contact tracing?"

"We don't do that."

"So, I have to go to work not knowing if I am a carrier."

"I'm sorry.  I can't help you with that."

The next 3-4 weeks are going to be a shitshow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Now I need to quarantine until the results come back (48 - 72 hours).  Feels a bit strange, but better to know you aren't spreading it around.

Because even if your result comes back negative, how do you know you didn’t catch it at the testing site? 

It is at best, equivalent to a photo. It tells you what you were wearing on the day you took the picture, but nothing about what you’re wearing today. The more time that passes, the less accurate it is.

** But I agree, testing only symptomatic patients is a waste of time too, because we already suspect they have it. What is really learned, over the possibility of testing their contacts and preventing them from spreading it?**

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Because even if your result comes back negative, how do you know you didn’t catch it at the testing site? 

It is at best, equivalent to a photo. It tells you what you were wearing on the day you took the picture, but nothing about what you’re wearing today. The more time that passes, the less accurate it is.

** But I agree, testing only symptomatic patients is a waste of time too, because we already suspect they have it. What is really learned, over the possibility of testing their contacts and preventing them from spreading it?**

 

In a properly-managed public health crisis that last point would be significant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was extremely ill in January (the whole month) with covid like symptoms (except no fever) so i have been very curious to know if i had it. Tried to get an antibody test, the lab companies all state on their websites that they have a blood test, but it has to be ordered by a doctor. The doctors i saw in January and my normal dr are all closed, so i cant get an order...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hasher said:

My parents are in their 90s and in an elderly care home.  Everyone was tested a week or so ago.

Only one person in the building came back positive.  They have been isolated in their rooms for several weeks.

The staff is probably the source of the one positive.  The dining hall is closed and staff deliver meals to the room.

The family cannot visit even to drop off a care package.

My brother visits them by standing outside the window with his dog and grandchildren.

It has to be especially brutal for those without a living spouse and failing mental faculties.

I feel for you mate- I remember my mums last few months and she would not have coped with this. It is a very sad way to spend their last few days/months years and considering what that generation has lived through and how much we owe them it is very unfair that this has happened. This virus is a nasty cunt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Controversial_posts said:

Because even if your result comes back negative, how do you know you didn’t catch it at the testing site? 

It is at best, equivalent to a photo. It tells you what you were wearing on the day you took the picture, but nothing about what you’re wearing today. The more time that passes, the less accurate it is.

** But I agree, testing only symptomatic patients is a waste of time too, because we already suspect they have it. What is really learned, over the possibility of testing their contacts and preventing them from spreading it?**

 

If people are getting it at testing sites can you pop along and have one? Like your hero you only need to wear eye protection- masks are just a waste of time. Or maybe just start injecting bleach. Either will do- just fuck off and die you piece of shit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

If people are getting it at testing sites can you pop along and have one? Like your hero you only need to wear eye protection- masks are just a waste of time. Or maybe just start injecting bleach. Either will do- just fuck off and die you piece of shit.

A little butt hurt are we? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Controversial_posts said:

Because even if your result comes back negative, how do you know you didn’t catch it at the testing site? 

 

Normally I am insulated from the stupidity of your posts, but LB quoted you, so I got to see the rancid ignorance you seek to spread through these forums, without concerning yourself as to whether or not you actually know a fucking thing about the topic.

The question asked in the OP was "who has been tested?".  You didn't identify yourself as affirmative, so I think it's safe to assume you have not been.  In that case, you would not have a fucking clue about the precautions taken to avoid even the slightest possibility of what you allude coming to pass.

You would not know about the initial screening area, in the open air, with the desks so that you cannot approach closer to the interviewer than is safe - the masked, gowned, hair-netted interviewer with the safety glasses, the hand sanitiser everywhere.  You would not know that this person takes your details so they are in the "system", and directs you to the fever clinic, where your details are checked by a nurse in full surgical PPE, which is discarded after each patient.  You would not have seen the cavernous room so empty that it echoes, but still has every surface wiped and disinfected between each patient.  Nor would you know about the audio-visual communication link with a doctor at another hospital 100km away, who decides whether or not you are tested.  You would not have spoken to the nurse who administers the test while wearing everything but a pressure suit.  You would not have hear the comments from the other staff, all wearing protective gear, who run the paperwork and support from outside the testing room, but who can still hear the anguished cries of people whose eyeballs are being prodded from the back by the swab.  You would not have received the paperwork telling you what is involved until the test results are known.  You would not have been admonished by the testing nurse that you must not go anywhere but straight home.  You would not have received the messages of concern, support and best wishes from everyone as you leave.

You know nothing - but you feel entitled to dump your diarrhoea into this, and every other thread in this forum, and others.

I join LB in entreating you to fuck off and die, you worthless piece of shit.

Goodbye.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Nice story bro, but here there’s nothing to stop you from swinging by the grocery store to stock up while waiting for your results, and contracting it from anyone else getting groceries.

You mean there's nothing to stop you.

Actually, can you go the the grocery store. You wife mentioned you guys are out milk. Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Nice story bro, but here there’s nothing to stop you from swinging by the grocery store to stock up while waiting for your results, and contracting it from anyone else getting groceries.

But why would he need to worry about that? As you said, its only the Flu. More people die from being hit by huge cubes of frozen turds pushed out of aircraft every year. Well obviously not this year but still it only kills useless old cunts who were fucked anyway and they cost heaps to keep alive. Think of the money that this Flu has saved the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

You mean there's nothing to stop you.

Actually, can you go the the grocery store. You wife mentioned you guys are out milk. Thanks.

He should get some paint for the ceiling in the bedroom while he is at the shops as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have multiple drive through test locations in my area and no prescreening required. Been considering getting tested but haven’t yet. Spoke with my niece the other day who is a researcher at Quest Diagnostics in CA. She said they (Quest) have the antibody test available now either through your Dr or direct but recommended not doing it yet because there isn’t enough “prevalence”. With NYC having about 25% to about 2.5% in LA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

But why would he need to worry about that? As you said, its only the Flu. More people die from being hit by huge cubes of frozen turds pushed out of aircraft every year. Well obviously not this year but still it only kills useless old cunts who were fucked anyway and they cost heaps to keep alive. Think of the money that this Flu has saved the world.

No, I never said it was the flu, that’s you attributing others’ claims onto me to bolster your arguments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Not me and no one I know got it bad enough to get tested. Oh you're not half dead, GTFO :rolleyes:

That's because you are on the Eastern Shore ;-)
I think I had it in Feb. I think wife had it in Jan. I think son had it in March. Testing? Nobody gets tested!

Our town stats: 13 dead. One hundred and something "confirmed tested positive" cases. So 10% death rate? No. Obviously we have between 500 and 1000 people in my town who have been infected...we have about 20,000 residents.
 

The reality is that this is not going to change. They keep blowing smoke in D.C. It's all bullshit. We'll see 100,000 dead by July 1. Well See 200,000 dead by Aug 15...

The "heard immunity experiment" that Blondie over in England was a proponent of is simply being carried on over here instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fastyacht said:

That's because you are on the Eastern Shore ;-)
I think I had it in Feb. I think wife had it in Jan. I think son had it in March. Testing? Nobody gets tested!

Our town stats: 13 dead. One hundred and something "confirmed tested positive" cases. So 10% death rate? No. Obviously we have between 500 and 1000 people in my town who have been infected...we have about 20,000 residents.
 

The reality is that this is not going to change. They keep blowing smoke in D.C. It's all bullshit. We'll see 100,000 dead by July 1. Well See 200,000 dead by Aug 15...

The "heard immunity experiment" that Blondie over in England was a proponent of is simply being carried on over here instead.

The interesting question is what is the number of actively shedding people in my town, and what number of them are out and about in the Big Y?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

That's because you are on the Eastern Shore ;-)
I think I had it in Feb. I think wife had it in Jan. I think son had it in March. Testing? Nobody gets tested!

Our town stats: 13 dead. One hundred and something "confirmed tested positive" cases. So 10% death rate? No. Obviously we have between 500 and 1000 people in my town who have been infected...we have about 20,000 residents.
 

The reality is that this is not going to change. They keep blowing smoke in D.C. It's all bullshit. We'll see 100,000 dead by July 1. Well See 200,000 dead by Aug 15...

The "heard immunity experiment" that Blondie over in England was a proponent of is simply being carried on over here instead.

We may not be a 1st world country over here, but we are at least near enough to get TV stations from one :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Controversial_posts said:

No, I never said it was the flu, that’s you attributing others’ claims onto me to bolster your arguments.

Actually you are quite right. You said the Flu was much worse. And cupcake to bolster my arguments, I only need to quote you. 

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, Son.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nobody who was tested even though I wanted bad for one of my daughters to be tested. She was in Italy; not in one of the provinces which were first on lock-down, but right next to one of them.

She flew back to France the day of the nation wide closing of Italy. She went to the doctor in France and asked if she could get tested, especially because she was very fatigued and a bit under the weather.

The doctor: "where you in Northern Italy?"

My daughter: "no, but right next to one of the closed provinces and I don't feel too well."

The doctor: "sorry, if you were not in Northern Italy, you do not get tested".

It was mid March in France, and there were obviously not enough tests at the time (I am not even sure there are enough today...)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo!  Doctor just rang - test was negative!  Yay - we may go to a fancy restaurant to celebrate ...

Oh, wait ...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Second positive test in the White House.....

CBS News and Politico confirmed that the staffer is Katie Waldman Miller, Pence’s press secretary who is married to Stephen Miller, a senior adviser to Trump. Trump had said earlier that the infected staffer was a “press person” for Pence named Katie.

Please, please, please...

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Second positive test in the White House.....

CBS News and Politico confirmed that the staffer is Katie Waldman Miller, Pence’s press secretary who is married to Stephen Miller, a senior adviser to Trump. Trump had said earlier that the infected staffer was a “press person” for Pence named Katie.

Please, please, please...

S Miller is a disease.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Second positive test in the White House.....

CBS News and Politico confirmed that the staffer is Katie Waldman Miller, Pence’s press secretary who is married to Stephen Miller, a senior adviser to Trump. Trump had said earlier that the infected staffer was a “press person” for Pence named Katie.

Please, please, please...

 

9 hours ago, fastyacht said:

S Miller is a disease.

This is Waldman-Miller speaking to reporters the day before testing positive. She is the only one not masked up. 

Husband Miller is weaponising ConVid to push his anti immigration policies. He is a cunt.

IMG_20200509_184843.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, thought I would chime in from my own experience.  I just had the antibody test and came back positive.  I had what is considered the best test in the market currently (usa) so the probability of a false positive is near zero.  So what does this mean??  The data is so shitty that no one really knows.  It is relatively certain that I had the virus and it is relatively certain that I have ‘some’ level of immunity to an exposure.  Not certain immunity and not definitive for any period of time.  Can I still infect people?  No one knows.  Should I quarantine?  Not advised but no one knows.  Atleast the antibody test is becoming more available and not being rationed like the Covid test was.  I did not need a script or referral to get the test.  
 

from my experience, all I have learned is that no one has a fucking clue about this virus.  I am an essential worker and I truly believe that the number of cases out there is likely 10-15X the number currently reported.  This is based on the dataset of my own employees and the number of positive cases we have had. The real bad news is that this bug is way more contagious than just about anything we have experience with.  The good news is that we are likely closer to heard immunity than we think (but still a long ways off).  The downside is that a shitload of people are still going to die.  The fact that the new case rate has only mildly slowed down after 6 weeks of pretty strict distancing measures supports just how prevalent and infectious this bug is.  I Think we are going to spend the next year teetering between overwhelming the healthcare system and completely decimating the economy.  We are too late to do anything else...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, T sailor said:

The fact that the new case rate has only mildly slowed down after 6 weeks of pretty strict distancing measures supports just how prevalent and infectious this bug is.

It also shows that distancing alone is not enough. It must have an associated testing program to find and isolate positives and a tracing program to quarantine contacts. That is what has worked in places that have avoided the huge infection and death rates of the USA.

What is also now obvious is that people can transmit the disease without even knowing they have it.

The virus seems fairly benign in people under 50, however the severity rises pretty dramatically for people over 60 or with certain preexisting conditions. It's simply not possible to pursue a herd immunity program for those under say 60 for whom it's business as usual while quarantining everyone over 60 or with chronic diseases. The experience of nursing homes shows that even where visitors are banned and staff do their best not to bring the disease into their workplace, it happens anyway and a lot of residents die unnecessary and entirely preventable deaths.

17 minutes ago, T sailor said:

I Think we are going to spend the next year teetering between overwhelming the healthcare system and completely decimating the economy.  We are too late to do anything else...

The US response has been ineffective because it was late and incomplete. It didn't have enough testing, didn't stop interstate travel, didn't have a contact tracing program, and is now opening up without sufficient testing or contact tracing measures in place. It's a massive gamble with peoples lives for the sake of political expediency.

BTW, how much did the test cost?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RobG said:

The US response has been ineffective because it was late and incomplete. ... It's a massive gamble with peoples lives for the sake of political expediency.

Sadly, Rob, I have to disagree with you a bit.  A "gamble" implies there is a chance of winning or gaining a benefit.  There is no chance of that with the US approach - the only "gamble" is which persons will lose their lives.  We know that thousands are about to ... the rest of the world is looking on with horrified fascination (I wish I could find a better word).

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Sadly, Rob, I have to disagree with you a bit.  A "gamble" implies there is a chance of winning or gaining a benefit.  There is no chance of that with the US approach - the only "gamble" is which persons will lose their lives.  We know that thousands are about to ... the rest of the world is looking on with horrified fascination (I wish I could find a better word).

It's a political gamble that the fallout from the continuing infections and deaths is less than the "good news" of a restarting economy (however faltering that might be). The weird thing is that Trump's approval rating has pretty much not moved, it's stuck in the low 40s, with a brief spike to about 51% a month ago or so. As long as it stays in the 40's, that's all he needs. 

I think his support for the anti–lockdown protestors was to test public reaction. It seems it was positive from his base, so that's good enough for him to not give a fuck about anyone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

A "gamble" implies there is a chance of winning or gaining a benefit.  There is no chance of that with the US approach - the only "gamble" is which persons will lose their lives. 

"Which persons" the gamble factor when you get it at a life threatening level then the odds are 2:1.

Across "all age groups" it doubles the risk of dying from "all causes" in the UK annualised, OR if there are two of you irrespective of age, instead of one casket required for one dying of "anything but" CoVid, two caskets will now be required. 

Rec glad to hear you came up negative. 

EXaFfskXQAInWrT.png.4c75b35c43880f4bf0af03cc8e42d8c8.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Sadly, Rob, I have to disagree with you a bit.  A "gamble" implies there is a chance of winning or gaining a benefit.  There is no chance of that with the US approach - the only "gamble" is which persons will lose their lives.  We know that thousands are about to ... the rest of the world is looking on with horrified fascination (I wish I could find a better word).

I think your assertion is absolutely bang on when viewed from the perspective of a pre-Covid19 world. The sad fact is that we are now where we are and there will be deaths regardless of how we move forward. From some people's perspective in a peri-pandemic world, getting a mild to moderate case and then being immune would be a win and a gamble they may be willing to take. This would assume that you believe that we cannot continue to shelter in place financially for as long as it will take to get a cure,

Dan 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 7:07 AM, LB 15 said:

Yep was tested back in March when I got back from Milan. Came back Negative but after discussion with a doctor mate of mine we are pretty sure we all had it when we were in Italy in mid to late Feb. The family spent 3 weeks driving around northern Italy- 4 days in Florence, 5 days in Milan and 3 days at a ski resort near the Austrian boarder. My son had been living there for 8 months and his flatmate Roco was diagnosed with it after we got home and we all ate a meal he cooked for us. I Must have come into contact with at least 10 000 people playing tourists. We all had symptoms and I was totally fucked for a couple of days. 

I will be very interested in having the antibody test when it becomes available. I just hope they don’t have to shove that fucking swab up my nose and into my brain cavity again. 

It is like when I had Aids- I don’t want to catch that again.

Sounds similar to my story, except they stuck those damned swabs up my nose twice. Testing in the U.S. was a joke at the time, so the hospital needed one swab for their lab, and a second in case they decided to ship it off to the CDC for the actual test. I never got the real test. Hospital decided that since my fever had broken it was nothing to worry about. 
 

A week later, shit hit the fan and all protocols changed. Until antibody tests become available, all I can do is wonder. We’re already up to ten cases so far just in the building I work in (only one dead), so I’ve adopted the reality of take all precautions, but shit happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

So that's where that cunt is. Too busy supporting Trump to log on here

Please just ignore the attention whore like the rest of us do. Astro posts have as much value as posts regarding boats you’re interested in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very long and complicated story shortened to a bearable length: I work for a rather large medical transport company and we transported a patient in late February who later died of COVID-19. Almost a month after the transport I read a week old article talking about this dude and that he had tested for and died of COVID-19. In the interim period EVERYONE at the base got ill with COVID-like symptoms to various degrees of severity. I as the youngest, most handsome, and virile member of the team was one of the least affected, whereas some of our older employees were out for upwards of two weeks. None of us could get tested because we couldn't show we had contact with a COVID person until well after we were all better.  I had to get tested in late April for a potential exposure and was negative, however I await with bated breath for an antibody test to see if I've already had it. 

 

Also: If you're into what feels like having your brain and eyeballs poked with a stick I cannot recommend the test highly enough. 5/5 stars. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I work in a hospital in Germany. Had a swab and a blood sample for IgG antibodies within a study. Both negative. Will be tested again in about one month, hopefully also for IGA. I do not work on the Covid ward, but I sometimes have contact to patients, wearing full protection then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd like to share my experience, to give everyone another data point.   Last Friday I got my antibody result and I'm positive for antibodies.  I work for a medical laboratory (albeit supporting IT interfaces, so I'm not knowledgeable on the clinical side), however I'm still keenly aware of the limitations of both the PCR (swab) and IgG (antibody testing) at this time.  

Having said that, I'm certain that I had Covid 19, back in March just before my state (Michigan) went on lockdown.  At that time there were 3 symptoms to look out for, cough, fever and shortness of breath (SOB).  At that time, of those 3 I only experienced SOB.  I had the SOB come and go, sometimes I had to go outside to suck air, it felt like something was right in front of my face blocking air, kind of like wearing a mask, something we all are familiar with by now. 

At the time I thought I was experiencing what I thought were my first panic attacks with hyperventilating.   That seemed plausible to me what with ambulances going by every 5 minutes and the world seemingly coming to an end.  It was like the start of every zombie apocalypse movie where people go about their business, but there are ambulances running around everywhere and there was an impending sense of doom.  Good times.

I also had zero sense of taste, diarrhea and I lost 15 pounds.  As we know by now other symptoms include diarrhea and loss of taste.  Also severe(at times) joint pain, I'm only 42.  Joint pain is still being contended as a Covid symptom, from what I've read.  Well shit, that sounds like I had the 'Rhona back in March doesn't it?  During my 6 month virtual visit with my Dr I ran down the list of my symptoms and he was almost certain it was Covid 19 and ordered my IgG test. 

I reached out to everyone I had contact with at that time (fortunately all are alive and in good health) to encourage them to get tested for antibodies.  Mostly to satisfy our curiosities, not that any of us should take that as gospel and act like we're invincible, because there is no guaranteed certainty that we're immune from future infections.

So I'd like to stress for those getting tested for antibodies that you should not change your behavior based off of the result, positive or negative.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 waiting for a call back from Red Cross so I can donate plasma...  I tested positive a few weeks ago along with my wife.   Now clear with no symptoms.  

I got luck with just a high fever for a couple days and some lethargy and lack of appetite.  Never lost sense of taste, just loss of appetite.  People say I look like I lost weight, they aren’t good liars.    The second week of quarantine I got my energy back and started hitting the keg in the basement, and thick cut bacon.  I. Might have put on 5 lbs...

 

glex, any idea where you think you picked it up?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

 

 

glex, any idea where you think you picked it up?

 

Well, I have a 16 month old who was in daycare, since the new-year he's had pinkeye, influenza B and a bilateral ear infection....  good odds he got it from that cesspool.  Fun fact, he's been healthier than he's ever been since the lockdown forced him out of daycare.

 

As I mentioned earlier, I work at a medical laboratory, which is a part of a large local health system and is located at one of the larger hospitals in the area.  The area being Detroit, Michigan.  Our area did get hit pretty bad, so chances are it was spreading through the campus before everything got locked down.

But I could just have easily contracted it at the grocery store in early March, so who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

 waiting for a call back from Red Cross so I can donate plasma...  I tested positive a few weeks ago along with my wife.   Now clear with no symptoms.  

 

 

Question for you now that I think of it.  Did you need to get an independent antibody test from the Red Cross to qualify to donate plasma or did you have an active infection that was identified by a swab test?

 

I’m interested in donating plasma, but don’t know if the antibody test I had necessarily qualifies me to donate plasma.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not gotten an antibody test,  I would imagine that the red cross would want to do  that before spending time taking my blood.

Once my wife got tested and popped + i went in and got tested   local clinic did two swab tests ,  one for flu (negative) and then a second test for Covid (positive)

so I know I had it...

I'm not really interested in donating.  I have this thing with needles, and I have never failed to get woozy or pass out when getting injections.  even if I don't look, try to be distracted,  doen't matter.  Maybe I'll be able to help someone if I pass muster.    I'll report back once I get the call.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supreme irony. My sister served in the front line of care for March April and first weeks of May .  Rotated out 4 weeks ago. All good.

Tuesday her daughter goes out with 4 friends for 4 hours for her birthday. FRiday sore throat. Saturday tests positive. 3 of the 5 birthday girls test positive so it was a spreader situation.  Family goes into isolation.  Sis is not a great demographic but type O positive and no co-mo so really hoping things turns out well for this American heroine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

Supreme irony. My sister served in the front line of care for March April and first weeks of May .  Rotated out 4 weeks ago. All good.

Tuesday her daughter goes out with 4 friends for 4 hours for her birthday. FRiday sore throat. Saturday tests positive. 3 of the 5 birthday girls test positive so it was a spreader situation.  Family goes into isolation.  Sis is not a great demographic but type O positive and no co-mo so really hoping things turns out well for this American heroine.

 

Fingers crossed for your sis and her family.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what the Red Cross is doing so far, but in San Antonio, blood donations are handled by the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center...  and they announced a week or so ago that all donors will get free antibody testing (apparently a 99.4% accurate test).  I donated Saturday.  Will hear back within 2 weeks if I have antibodies.  I never had a positive test and was never exceptionally sick, but had a respiratory thing in January and also had a week of "just not feeling right" in March, so I've been wondering if maybe I had an early or mild case.  This'll answer that.

Anyway...  if you've been wondering and want an antibody test, figure out who takes blood donations in your area, and check their website to see if they're similarly doing antibody testing on donated blood.  Particularly if you're O-, which they always need.  Elective surgeries are resuming, so the need is ramping up.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, glexpress said:

I'd like to share my experience, to give everyone another data point.   ........ At that time there were 3 symptoms to look out for, cough, fever and shortness of breath (SOB).  At that time, of those 3 I only experienced SOB.  I had the SOB come and go, sometimes I had to go outside to suck air, it felt like something was right in front of my face blocking air, kind of like wearing a mask, something we all are familiar with by now. 

In the last week of January, I and another colleague were working closely whilst training a client in the UK who had just returned from Singapore. No quarantine or anything else at that time. By the weekend I was feeling bad, struggling to breath, like having a ratchet strap winched up tight around my chest, but no cough or fever so I thought it was something else. It didn't improve so I called the clients offices on the Monday to be informed that he had been sent home to quarantine on the Friday with fever and cough, and the other colleague had similar symptoms on the Monday. We both then quarantined, along with our families. None of us were tested as no testing was available at the time, and I was assured that my breathing issues couldn't be CV19 as I didn't get a fever. My wife never had any symptoms.

I've still never been tested as I have worked from home since, we live in the middle of nowhere, and testing has been prioritised to those with symptoms, of which mine are long gone (lasted about 5 days feeling bad, then rapidly improved to only the mildest SOB for a couple of weeks, then back to normal. I was never bad enough to warrant calling a doctor). I have wondered since then if it was CV19 or something else, and assumed the latter, so it is very interesting to read of someone with similar limited symptoms who is positive. I have never had breathing issues before and am generally fit and healthy otherwise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hump101 said:

In the last week of January, I and another colleague were working closely whilst training a client in the UK who had just returned from Singapore. No quarantine or anything else at that time. By the weekend I was feeling bad, struggling to breath, like having a ratchet strap winched up tight around my chest, but no cough or fever so I thought it was something else. It didn't improve so I called the clients offices on the Monday to be informed that he had been sent home to quarantine on the Friday with fever and cough, and the other colleague had similar symptoms on the Monday. We both then quarantined, along with our families. None of us were tested as no testing was available at the time, and I was assured that my breathing issues couldn't be CV19 as I didn't get a fever. My wife never had any symptoms.

I've still never been tested as I have worked from home since, we live in the middle of nowhere, and testing has been prioritised to those with symptoms, of which mine are long gone (lasted about 5 days feeling bad, then rapidly improved to only the mildest SOB for a couple of weeks, then back to normal. I was never bad enough to warrant calling a doctor). I have wondered since then if it was CV19 or something else, and assumed the latter, so it is very interesting to read of someone with similar limited symptoms who is positive. I have never had breathing issues before and am generally fit and healthy otherwise.

Sounds like 'Ronoa to me, might be informational for you to get an antibody test.  The SOB you describe sounds about right to me.

 

Regarding SOB, I notice it's still with me a little.  I'm not sure if it's because of the virus or because I've allowed myself to get in the worst physical shape of my life.  Only time on the stationary bike will tell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, glexpress said:

Sounds like 'Ronoa to me, might be informational for you to get an antibody test.  The SOB you describe sounds about right to me.

 

Regarding SOB, I notice it's still with me a little.  I'm not sure if it's because of the virus or because I've allowed myself to get in the worst physical shape of my life.  Only time on the stationary bike will tell.

I would like to get tested, should be possible now.

I also occasionally feel a bit of tightness in the chest after hours at the computer, but a session on the elliptical sorts me out. I'm not a fitness freak, but train most days to keep my blood pressure down, so am still in OK shape, suggesting it may not be your physical condition. I always feel better after a hard session, not worse, and the numbers on the machines suggest I am not weaker than before the symptoms started.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I both had the anti-body test from Quest labs (they use the Abotts Labs platform which is a blood test). It was about 100 USD and you pay/book it online and make an appointment before you go to the lab.  Quest labs is one of the largest US national test labs and there is usually one near many hospitals and medical centers.   the reason why we got this test is that we both were sick back in February with a bug that checked a lot of the covid symptom boxes, including cough, fever etc.  I also teach at a University that has a lot of international students who were returning from home right after the holidays.  We were each sick for about 2-3 weeks and I caught it about 5 days after my wife which is in the range of the Covid incubation period.  (3-14 days, with many cases in the 4-5 day range).

We were both NEGATIVE   (no covid).  While this test has some inaccuracy, the fact that we were both negative adds some additional likelihood that it was some other virus and not Covid-19.  Having it will most likely give you some form of immunity,  but they really don't know how much or how long.  On the other hand it's nice to know that we didn't infect anyone else if you didn't have it.   So we are not part of the herd.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 964racer said:

Having it will most likely give you some form of immunity, 

They keep finding new cases where previously symptomatic and recovered people have been reinfected, unfortunately, with the second bout worse than the first.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

They keep finding new cases where previously symptomatic and recovered people have been reinfected, unfortunately, with the second bout worse than the first.

We have doctor friends in northern Italy who went through the worst of the epidemic there and lost a lot of colleagues. They were saying they had initially assumed that recovered colleagues could return to work without risk, but so many would become sick again that they then had to assume no immunity. Of course, the viral load they were exposed to was probably very high.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 8:29 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

They keep finding new cases where previously symptomatic and recovered people have been reinfected, unfortunately, with the second bout worse than the first.

 

 

I wouldn’t bank on it if I had tested positive. Unfortunately if immunity doesn’t work , it seems like a vaccine is less likely, so I hope it’s not the case for most people .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

So, follow up....

sat in the chair, the machine sucked my blood, centrifuged the blood, and then reinserted my blood mixed with saline.  It took 120 minutes for them to get 3 units of plasma

found out I’m o+ and I do indeed have the covid 19 antibodies.   

It wasn’t a hateful process the hook up to the machine took about 30 minutes, and I definitely had some uncomfortable moments when getting stuck and during the process.  Especially when the blood and saline were being reinserted.  The saline solution is chilled and you can feel it going in, even though it been mixed with the blood.

i had a good enough vein that they where able to remove and reinsert in one arm.  The other option was to take out in one arm and reinsert in the other,  basically making you imobile for the duration of the procedure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife works at a highschool and back in February she came home and was laid flat for about a week. She gave it to me but I only had a scratchy throat. We did our deal and stayed home. All is good now. She and I have not been tested yet. I got to the store and do our shopping and as someone in a wheelchair, it is almost impossible for me to distance. I always need help getting shit off an upper shelf. People are very helpful and mindful of not touching or breathing on each other. And I live in the Ed's Trump central. 

As a military brat, I traveled a lot and got so many shots and boosters when we went to Thailand and I cannot remember when I had the flu last. When I do get sick it last about 1 day and it over. People who hide and do not get out will be the ones getting sick or it is genetics that you do not have a good immune system. When we as a family had to relocate because of a reassignment, my brothers and I (young boys) would go out and explore the area getting into everything. 

 

I'm a bit confused. Are cases counted as a test for positive or is it someone who is admitted sick to the hospital? I understand you can be positive but not get sick or pass it (unless you cough in someones face). If the wife and I had it and are no better, is that a known case or not?
I talked to a friend who has a relative that works in an Emergency Room Admitting. Her boss told her to mark any case that is not obvious as a C-19 because FEMA is reimbursing to a very high $$,$$$ mount. It did make me wonder how accurate the numbers really are. Are we (the US) playing a massive shell game with $$$ ?

Stay well but explore.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mw 

No one officially knows you had what you think was the ‘rona.   If you did or get tested, then you really don’t know.

You could always go give blood as I imagine they’d test the blood for antibodies if you want to know.

I’m sure there is some overreporting...just on humans being humans and making mistakes.  Glad you guys made it through unscathed 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Friday I woke up with a stinking head cold. 

Phoned the Covid Testing Hotline. They took my details and told me they'd call back to schedule a test. They called back after about 1 hour and scheduled me and my wife in for a test about 1 hour later (giving us time to drive to the testing site).

Test took about 15 minutes including wait time, didn't have to leave the car. It wasn't exactly pleasant, but not exactly excruciating either. 

We returned directly home to self-isolate pending results

My wife's results were sent to her by text message the next morning. Bizarrely mine were sent to a phone number I have not had for more than 4 years, despite having given my current telephone number 3 times during the process. Having not had the results a few hours after my wife, I phoned the hotline, they gave me the results over the phone and resent the results as a text message.

Not exactly an onerous experience. Anyone who experiences flu-like symptoms should get tested immediately... 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

had the blood anti body test, tested negative. guess I've got to stay careful. n95 on, out of stupid places, away from people and crowds indoors. and up wind from people outside. Like people have always said Don't  Talk To Strangers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 9:58 AM, Gangbusters said:

Took a self administered test at a drive-up today. Took 2 1/2 hours for a negative result.

What is a self administered test?  Clearly it's not the throat and nose swab - you wouldn't be able to do that yourself - is it a pin-prick blood test or something?  

Congrats on the negative.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

What is a self administered test?  Clearly it's not the throat and nose swab - you wouldn't be able to do that yourself - is it a pin-prick blood test or something?  

Congrats on the negative.

 

It’s a nasal swab. They tell you from a distance to go up each nostril about 1 inch. They deliver the swab in a car while your window is rolled up. They move away, you lower your window, take the material from the cart, do the test, put the swab back into the sleeve and put it back on the cart. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tested yesterday as a requirement for an upcoming procedure that can't be delayed.  No symptoms, just the hospital protocol.  Not pleasant but more of a sting than actual pain. Over in a few seconds.  Suspect the level of discomfort varies with how aggressive the nurse is in doing the swap.  I think I felt the end come out somewhere behind my eyes.  

Got the result a few minutes ago.  20 hours after testing.  Negative.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 5:00 PM, DRIFTW00D said:

had the blood anti body test, tested negative. guess I've got to stay careful. n95 on, out of stupid places, away from people and crowds indoors. and up wind from people outside. Like people have always said Don't  Talk To Strangers.

Where’d you get the n95?

Link to post
Share on other sites

im required to take a test every 2-3 weeks depending on my surgery schedule.

You get used to it.

Obviously all negative thus far . 

Back in April I had to self isolate at home because tests were saved for those with symptoms. My poor husband had to put up with seeing me on other side of glass doors as I stayed in different part of the house.  He was not happy and has said he is never going to do that again and he will just take the risk .....(which is rather sweet).....but no way because he is a higher risk category than me. If I get it, I think I survive. Im not sure about him....and despite several very annoying habits I have decided to keep him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Amati said:

Where’d you get the n95?

About those n95 masks...

Pre-covid, there were medical n95 masks and industrial n95 masks (the latter with and without simple rubber flap exhalation valves). The industrial ones were used by drywall finishers, spray painters, glass fiber insulators, etc, and were readily available in hardware stores, big box stores, and specialty trade stores. Are the industrial ones unavailable as well?

What are those people wearing for work now? Have they all switched to cartridge respirators? Are those scarce now also? 

Sorry for thread drift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PHIRKIN said:

About those n95 masks...

Pre-covid, there were medical n95 masks and industrial n95 masks (the latter with and without simple rubber flap exhalation valves). The industrial ones were used by drywall finishers, spray painters, glass fiber insulators, etc, and were readily available in hardware stores, big box stores, and specialty trade stores. Are the industrial ones unavailable as well?

What are those people wearing for work now? Have they all switched to cartridge respirators? Are those scarce now also? 

Sorry for thread drift.

Basically the same.

Medical supply houses keep them for the hospitals.

Lumber yards and hardware stores keep them for their professional customers.

Retail buyers can buy the Chinese equivalent KN95 masks online. They are not as nice.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PHIRKIN said:

About those n95 masks...

Pre-covid, there were medical n95 masks and industrial n95 masks (the latter with and without simple rubber flap exhalation valves). The industrial ones were used by drywall finishers, spray painters, glass fiber insulators, etc, and were readily available in hardware stores, big box stores, and specialty trade stores. Are the industrial ones unavailable as well?

What are those people wearing for work now? Have they all switched to cartridge respirators? Are those scarce now also? 

Sorry for thread drift.

I was able to get genuine P100 cartridges for my 3M half-mask respirator on Amazon with no delay.  There are no N95 masks in any store, hardware or otherwise.  My wife has been looking for them for months.  They occasionally pop up for a second but then are gone.  KN95 are NOT the same, though they are a fuckload better than a bandana.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I was able to get genuine P100 cartridges for my 3M half-mask respirator on Amazon with no delay.  There are no N95 masks in any store, hardware or otherwise.  My wife has been looking for them for months.  They occasionally pop up for a second but then are gone.  KN95 are NOT the same, though they are a fuckload better than a bandana.

Is it the mask with the exhale valve?

In that case, you are protecting yourself, but you are not really stopping your own droplets to enter the environment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Amati said:

Where’d you get the n95?

lm A N95 guy long story about Canada's SARS 1 problems, CBC Radio and wanting to know the northern neighbors better...

 LOL I had 5 - 20 count boxes of N95 masks in the basement before the bats shit on us. most I paid was $4.00 USD a box.at a Minards Clearance rack last year.

It will take 14 to 27 days for the bug to make you sick (higher infection rates we are seeing now). Then another 4 to 27 days for you to die if it gets a hi response from your immune system. the dreaded cytokine storm, a cascade of exaggerated immune responses that can cause serious problems leading to DEATH....

 Wear a MASK, social space and WASH YOUR DAMED HANDS.

 

 Wear a mask a N95 mask and hope a vaccination works for you before you get sick.

Daniel Griffin provides a clinical update on COVID-19, then we discuss phase I preliminary results of the SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine, factors associated with death in 17 million patients, and answer listener questions.

 

Hosts: Vincent Racaniello,  Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, Rich Condit, and Brianne Barker

Guests: Daniel Griffin and Chuck Knirsch

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-642/

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

lm A N95 guy long story about Canada's SARS 1 problems, CBC Radio and wanting to know the northern neighbors better...

 LOL I had 5 - 20 count boxes of N95 masks in the basement before the bats shit on us. most I paid was $4.00 USD a box.at a Minards Clearance rack last year.

It will take 14 to 27 days for the bug to make you sick (higher infection rates we are seeing now). Then another 4 to 27 days for you to die if it gets a hi response from your immune system. the dreaded cytokine storm, a cascade of exaggerated immune responses that can cause serious problems leading to DEATH....

 Wear a MASK, social space and WASH YOUR DAMED HANDS.

 

 Wear a mask a N95 mask and hope a vaccination works for you before you get sick.

Daniel Griffin provides a clinical update on COVID-19, then we discuss phase I preliminary results of the SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine, factors associated with death in 17 million patients, and answer listener questions.

 

Hosts: Vincent Racaniello,  Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, Rich Condit, and Brianne Barker

Guests: Daniel Griffin and Chuck Knirsch

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-642/

I’m impressed, and we’ve been drinking Walla Wall L’Ecole Perigee (2016) for at least 55 minutes

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

New rules to enter France starting tomorrow, August 1st.

You need to have when boarding the plane to France, the results of a less-than-72-hours-old PCR test showing that you are negative to COVID19. This is on top of the existing restrictions already in place. So as a French citizen living/residing in the USA, you can go home, because you are French, but you need that test results.

Panic in the French community in the Houston area; there is NOWHERE in Houston, where you can get a PCR test with results within 72 hr, even if you are willing to pay for it, UNLESS you already show some COVID19 symptoms... (which kinda defeat the purpose of the test to fly home...)

How is it in other parts of the country? Can someone show up at a test site; pay any necessary fee and get a PCR test with results in less than 72 hrs? Your feedback is welcome.

I am glad I cancelled my annual summer vacation trip back home, but I really don't know when the F#§&k I will be able to go back home...

Link to post
Share on other sites