kent_island_sailor

Maryland Open (sort of)

Recommended Posts

https://www.spinsheet.com/news/recreational-boating-activities-resume-maryland-rules

BOATING

Effective Thursday, May 7, at 7 a.m., recreational boating activities, including motorized and non-motorized vessels and personal watercraft, are permitted, however:

  • Boaters must be with immediate family members or people with which they reside. 
    • No more than 10 people can be on a boat at one time, including captain and crew.
  • Boats must be distanced from each other by at least 10 feet and are prohibited from rafting up, beaching, or having rendezvous events.
    • Boats are prohibited from docking at restaurants or bars.
  • Vessel and boat races remain prohibited.
  • Marinas can reopen to recreational boaters, but must adhere to Maryland Departments of Commerce and Health guidelines.
  • Pump-out stations and boats may resume operations under the Departments of Commerce and Health guidelines.
  • Local jurisdictions may choose to open public boat ramps, but must ensure social distancing guidelines.
  • All normal boating rules and regulations are in effect and must be followed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kent_island_sailor, @Ajax I'm very happy for you. Access to sailing has been a blessing, although the wind has been roaring more often than not.

For our sailing club, I have suggested a "Quarantine Race." Staggered start based on PHRF, simple course, single-handed or a crew from household, working sails only, fly the Q flag from the spreader.

Bon voyage!

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same general gist in Massachusetts:

  • The safe operation of recreational boats is permitted under the following guidelines:
  • Only persons from the same household should be together on a boat at one time.
  • No gathering or groups of persons from multiple households will be permitted on boat ramps, docks, piers etc., and all users shall practice strict social distancing.
  • All recreational crafts shall remain a safe distance apart. Tying boats or other crafts together is prohibited.
  • All recreational boating is subject to the discretion of local officials, harbormasters, and law enforcement. o All local rules, regulations, laws and Coast Guard requirements still apply.

Which is a lot less restrictive than I was afraid it would be.  Extremely excited to get on the water, but I don't splash until Memorial Day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit jealous. NY has opened back up, but the Erie Canal hasn't. Word is to expect another 60 days of repairs on the locks locally (one is a few miles downstream) before they can get the water levels up high enough for most of the boats to put in.

It's a bummer, but it does mean I've got another two months (or more) to get the Centaur up and running before I gotta worry about her bottom bits getting wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be able to sneak out today. I'm working an abbreviated day today because I have a server upgrade tomorrow that will probably end up going into the night.

Today is sun, tomorrow is rain, so it all works out, for once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I am so going out TOMORROW :D  First order of business is a speed run to see how bad I need to do the bottom.

need an adopted deckhand,  stepchild, brother from another mother....  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn it.  We were sort of enjoying the peaceful sails with most still tied to the dock or land LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Wess said:

Damn it.  We were sort of enjoying the peaceful sails with most still tied to the dock or land LOL.

Depending on how many people lost their jobs and can't afford to launch their boats, it may still be peaceful. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ajax said:

Depending on how many people lost their jobs and can't afford to launch their boats, it may still be peaceful. :(

Yeah, this might be the summer 1930 sailing season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Depending on how many people lost their jobs and can't afford to launch their boats, it may still be peaceful. :(

That is a whole different story and I hear you.  Way off topic and get me off line but there is an MD lawsuit if you want to help and likely will be more that may benefit small businesses. Some sizable portion of my boat fund will be donated to that cause.  It hasn't/doesn't impact me but what this has done to small business is a crime IMHO and contrary to our Constitution and Bill of Rights.  I hope they sue the state and win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the shit-gets-real department, someone I loaned my mooring to for a few days got Covid, so my mooring will still be occupied until he is recovered enough to get the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

In the shit-gets-real department, someone I loaned my mooring to for a few days got Covid, so my mooring will still be occupied until he is recovered enough to get the boat.

Make sure you sanitize the mooring pennant. ;)

Too soon?

I hope your buddy has a speedy recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bastard probably saw the forecast high for Saturday is in the 40s!

Ajax, your cousin is here and available to sail this afternoon!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jsaronson said:

Bastard probably saw the forecast high for Saturday is in the 40s!

Ajax, your cousin is here and available to sail this afternoon!

 

What's wrong with my cousin's boat? His is nicer than mine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Make sure you sanitize the mooring pennant. ;)

Too soon?

I hope your buddy has a speedy recovery.

It might be an interesting experiment, Corona vs. Bay algae. Cage match!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

What's wrong with my cousin's boat? His is nicer than mine!

He would have to motor all the way up South River. after sailing down the river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 8:06 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

I am so going out TOMORROW :D  First order of business is a speed run to see how bad I need to do the bottom.

Turns out I do need to do the bottom. 4 knots under power :(

If it will quit raining long enough for the water to clear up I might actually get it done, but I hate working in what looks like day old coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ajax said:

What's wrong with my cousin's boat? His is nicer than mine!

Just sail any boat. We got the tri out (again B)) last night.  Great sail, nice sunset, and spectacular moon rise. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My club (CHESSS) received an email from our insurance carrier (Gowrie-Chubb) that included a "Covid Risk Management Assessment Guide."  Basically, a guide to help you decide how or even whether to host a race or event.

This brought to mind another question-  Is my marine insurance company going to play Covid-reindeer games with me in the event of a claim?  Sure, our governor has lifted the boating ban but we're still under a state of emergency? Does one take precedence over the other when filing a claim?

I called my insurance company this morning and asked the question. The insurance rep seemed surprise by my situational awareness and put me on hold to ask a supervisor. The bottom line is, they have no restrictions and will honor a claim if I go sailing right now. A note stating that we had this conversation was added to my file to avoid any future "gotchas." (of course, that information could be conveniently deleted by them.)

Anyway, it's just a thought. You may want to check with your carrier before you go sailing.

(I told the service rep "I'm going sailing with or without you. I'm just trying to decide if there's any point in paying you.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

My club (CHESSS) received an email from our insurance carrier (Gowrie-Chubb) that included a "Covid Risk Management Assessment Guide."  Basically, a guide to help you decide how or even whether to host a race or event.

This brought to mind another question-  Is my marine insurance company going to play Covid-reindeer games with me in the event of a claim?  Sure, our governor has lifted the boating ban but we're still under a state of emergency? Does one take precedence over the other when filing a claim?

I called my insurance company this morning and asked the question. The insurance rep seemed surprise by my situational awareness and put me on hold to ask a supervisor. The bottom line is, they have no restrictions and will honor a claim if I go sailing right now. A note stating that we had this conversation was added to my file to avoid any future "gotchas." (of course, that information could be conveniently deleted by them.)

Anyway, it's just a thought. You may want to check with your carrier before you go sailing.

(I told the service rep "I'm going sailing with or without you. I'm just trying to decide if there's any point in paying you.)

Covering a damaged boat is one thing, I have no worries at all on that score. Covering a club and officers for liability for someone getting infected at your event...THAT one is something still to worry about IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Covering a damaged boat is one thing, I have no worries at all on that score. Covering a club and officers for liability for someone getting infected at your event...THAT one is something still to worry about IMHO.

Racing and rafting up are still specifically verboten, so I would not expect Gowrie to cover us if we held an event right now.  We are not holding any races or gatherings of any kind as a club sanctioned event until it's specifically authorized and even then, we'll be checking with Gowrie first.

We may have a loose gathering of unaffiliated sailors that has nothing to do with CHESSS...  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What sucks is my marina facilities not being open, specifically the bathrooms.  I can't really get the work done that I need to to get the boat in the water because there ain't no place to go!  I asked the marina when the bathrooms would be open so I can get work done, they said I can use my holding tank on the boat and pump out when I get the boat in the water.  Not an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Governor is making some sort of announcement today. It is suspected that he will announce Phase I recovery.

I do not think that this will alter the race status. Governor's Cup was recently canceled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Governor is making some sort of announcement today. It is suspected that he will announce Phase I recovery.

I do not think that this will alter the race status. Governor's Cup was recently canceled. 

Why cancel Governor's Cup? Last year the party was so poorly attended (and badly organized) it was effectively social distancing by default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

Why cancel Governor's Cup? Last year the party was so poorly attended (and badly organized) it was effectively social distancing by default.

That's because I was adrift, off Point Lookout at 3pm. :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

damn, I was hoping that we'd at least get Gov Cup this year.  

CHESSS may hold the Poplar Island Race in September as an unsanctioned, fun race.  You wouldn't even have a delivery, it's right near your harbor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

damn, I was hoping that we'd at least get Gov Cup this year.

Maybe replace it with a summer overnight race to Solomons instead? There's actual amenities there, and now that the Summer Screwpile has moved to the fall, and old overnight Solomons race is a day race... A Solomons finish also would allow for a shortened course, fixing the biggest problem w/Gov Cup -- wind dying just as you hit the Potomac adverse current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ajax said:

CHESSS may hold the Poplar Island Race in September as an unsanctioned, fun race.  You wouldn't even have a delivery, it's right near your harbor.

I can probably be convinced to do that this year. Since it's local and all... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

Maybe replace it with a summer overnight race to Solomons instead? There's actual amenities there, and now that the Summer Screwpile has moved to the fall, and old overnight Solomons race is a day race... A Solomons finish also would allow for a shortened course, fixing the biggest problem w/Gov Cup -- wind dying just as you hit the Potomac adverse current.

I'm one of the few apparently that actually really enjoys Gov Cup and look forward to it every year. We started in the earlier start last year and stayed ahead of the storms and were in the St. Mary's river as the wind was dying and finished before it completely died.  

Even in the years where it sucks, I still enjoy the race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starboard!! said:

Maybe replace it with a summer overnight race to Solomons instead? There's actual amenities there, and now that the Summer Screwpile has moved to the fall, and old overnight Solomons race is a day race... A Solomons finish also would allow for a shortened course, fixing the biggest problem w/Gov Cup -- wind dying just as you hit the Potomac adverse current.

AYC has already brought back a summer Annapolis-to-Solomons race. It's just not "overnight."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

I'm one of the few apparently that actually really enjoys Gov Cup and look forward to it every year. We started in the earlier start last year and stayed ahead of the storms and were in the St. Mary's river as the wind was dying and finished before it completely died.  

Even in the years where it sucks, I still enjoy the race. 

I had skipped a few years and did it last year with my buddy in the CHESSS division. The weather and commercial traffic certainly made it eventful. It was a shame that the wind crapped out right at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ajax said:

AYC has already brought back a summer Annapolis-to-Solomons race. It's just not "overnight." 

I thought that one was in 3rd week of September, as a feeder for the (new date) Screwpile?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a little earlier. I'm probably wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 5:36 PM, bgytr said:

What sucks is my marina facilities not being open, specifically the bathrooms.  I can't really get the work done that I need to to get the boat in the water because there ain't no place to go!  I asked the marina when the bathrooms would be open so I can get work done, they said I can use my holding tank on the boat and pump out when I get the boat in the water.  Not an option.

Buy a cheap porta-potti.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

Buy a cheap porta-potti.

yaya. or bucket. Getting close to 60 now and I don't feel like toting a load back in my car from the marina 40 minutes away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bgytr said:

yaya. or bucket. Getting close to 60 now and I don't feel like toting a load back in my car from the marina 40 minutes away.

Just pour it into someone's fuel fill before you leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Just pour it into someone's fuel fill before you leave.

Ha! that might not go over so well...  Can I give em your name and you said that was ok to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Ha! that might not go over so well...  Can I give em your name and you said that was ok to do?

Sure. You can put my address down as s/v Pequod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend, I will attempt to catch some blue catfish.  A few notes:

I rarely fish. I've been reading up on fishing in the Chesapeake but I realize that this isn't going to make me into a skilled fisherman. Rockfish stocks are way down. I can't bring myself to deplete the species further and I don't want to be hassled by the NRP over my catch (how many do I have? Are they legal size?).  Blue catfish are a non-native, invasive species that are Hoovering up everything. They taste acceptable and there is no limit to the number I can take (yeah, that's optimistic).

Blue cats are opportunistic, bottom feeding garbage cans. If I can't catch one of these, I'm truly hopeless. According to local fishing reports, I don't have to go far. Hopefully I can land at least one, decent sized fish in 3 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ajax Fire up the deep fryer! Make some coleslaw!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what's the deal? MD DNR still hasn't updated their website and say we can't have anyone other than family on board.

The legality of this is becoming more & more questionable -- "Regulations" are always administrative interpretations of laws, but in democratic societies, they have things like public-comment gathering, judicial review & interpretation, and things like "laws" to refine or limit them. 

But instead we have the MD DNR's webmaster who gets to interpret the Gov's order, with no public or legal review, and enforced as their DNR cops see fit.

I get that we had an unanticipated health emergency in early March that required immediate executive action. But it's been two and half months now and we are also a democracy, no one here agreed to live under executive fiat indefinitely. Why hasn't the governor gone to the legislature to ask them to refine these rules?

I'm concerned that we are moving towards a new normal, where unless the government gives you permission to do something, it's otherwise illegal. And no, you don't get to challenge the government on that call.  Like what happens if the DNR just doesn't really care for sailboat racing any more? I can see their argument -- it's dangerous, we don't allow car racing on public spaces, it's a "rich person's sport", etc....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jsaronson said:

That is still the rule.

That interpretation was based on a stay-at-home order. But the governor is lifting the stay at home order as of Friday, allowing people to assemble in groups <10 people. How is it ok to meet up with <10 people at the dock, but not on a boat?

I'm not objecting to safety measures and emergency executive action, but we also have a fairly robust 200+ year legal/democratic system to rely on to guide us through crisis, and ensure these are done legally, fairly, and reasonably. Given this will last for years potentially, I think we are approaching the point where we need to start using our robust democracy to decide more collectively how we will manage this risk. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Starboard!!  Do what you want. The water is going to be so full of boats that I don't see how NRP can possibly enforce the "same household" rule.  Even if they pull alongside, how are they going to prove that the boat occupants don't live with you? The NRP will be busy enforcing laws and regulations that generate revenue for the state, such as fishing violations.

That being said, no one is getting on my boat except for my spouse.  I will also not be visiting barbershops, bars, restaurants, cafes, churches or pretty much any business that has a high customer density and a closed air-conditioning system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ajax said:

Do what you want.

I don't want to just do what I want. I want to live in a democratic society of laws, governed by reasonable people. Which is probably asking too much.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Starboard!! said:

I don't want to just do what I want. I want to live in a democratic society of laws, governed by reasonable people. Which is probably asking too much.

 

I agree with you. Unfortunately, in the absence of "reasonable people" I've been left to make my own decisions so I just try to be responsible, think of other people before I act, and be unobtrusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically, this is what the DNR has to say on their own website (emphasis mine). https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pages/regulations/lawsandregs.aspx

The Governor's rules, as stated in his executive order are probably legal, but DNR's interpretation, not so much.

Laws and Regulations

We are fortunate to be part of a form of government where the source of all power and authority lies with its citizens. The Maryland Constitution's Declaration of Rights guarantees this democratic freedom to govern for the good of the people. The Maryland form of government assigns roles to three complementary branches of Executive, Legislative and Judicial. The three branches of State government act together to preserve, protect, and extend the privileges and obligations provided to the citizens of Maryland by the State Constitution.

 

REGULATIONS

The General Assembly has granted management authority for most major species of fish and crabs, oysters and clams, to the Department of Natural Resources through a specific law set out as Section 4-215, of the Annotated Code, entitled Fishery Management Plans. This law permits the Department to set rules and regulations that have the force of law. The Department must adhere to a prescribed series of steps in order to adopt regulations. We must use the best scientific information available, propose regulations that are fair and equitable with reasonable assurance that the rule will have the desired effect, and conduct a thorough public involvement process to inform the public and receive comments of the effected parties and the general public before adopting any regulation.

Regulations are proposed as either emergency or permanent. An emergency regulation is usually in effect for 180 days, and must first be approved by a review committee of the General Assembly titled the Administrative, Executive, and Legislative Review Committee (AELR). It will then expire or can be extended or replaced by a permanent regulation that has moved through the prescribed order of steps during the period of the emergency regulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Starboard!! 

As @kent_island_sailor has previously warned, the problem is that our NRP officers are often deciding what the law is, on the spot which renders the Executive Order "du Jour" moot until you either pay your fine or get your day in court.

It's crap like that which makes me glad that the NRP has a small foot print and it's easy to sail out of their typical areas of enforcement to a place where I will not be bothered.

Please don't take my seemingly scofflaw attitude to mean that I routinely violate boating and environmental laws. I'm very law-abiding. The problem is, I hate getting accosted by these people while going about my law-abiding business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Starboard!! said:

That interpretation was based on a stay-at-home order. But the governor is lifting the stay at home order as of Friday, allowing people to assemble in groups <10 people. How is it ok to meet up with <10 people at the dock, but not on a boat?

I'm not objecting to safety measures and emergency executive action, but we also have a fairly robust 200+ year legal/democratic system to rely on to guide us through crisis, and ensure these are done legally, fairly, and reasonably. Given this will last for years potentially, I think we are approaching the point where we need to start using our robust democracy to decide more collectively how we will manage this risk.

This probably has to do with maintaining physical distance.

This pandemic is a health emergency. Thousands have died, and thousands more are likely to die from it. In a crisis, it is not business as usual. Your governor, and mine, were popularly elected to be leaders, and in a crisis, that's what they do. There are legislative checks and judicial checks (Wisconsin legislators successfully sued to overturn their governor's orders).

With all respect, your suggestion to decide more collectively how to manage what is a crisis, is a bad idea. It would be chaotic. Look at what happened in the UK when they put EU membership up to a referendum: one of the worst cluster-fucks in modern history. This is much more urgent and much more complex. Be thankful that you have a smart and capable governor. I know I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bull City said:

This probably has to do with maintaining physical distance.

This pandemic is a health emergency. Thousands have died, and thousands more are likely to die from it. In a crisis, it is not business as usual. Your governor, and mine, were popularly elected to be leaders, and in a crisis, that's what they do. There are legislative checks and judicial checks (Wisconsin legislators successfully sued to overturn their governor's orders).

With all respect, your suggestion to decide more collectively how to manage what is a crisis, is a bad idea. It would be chaotic. Look at what happened in the UK when they put EU membership up to a referendum: one of the worst cluster-fucks in modern history. This is much more urgent and much more complex. Be thankful that you have a smart and capable governor. I know I am.

That's fine and good, but we actually don't live in a police state, where the police can just invent their own arbitrary rules.  The governor has revoked the stay-at-home order, and under MD law, the DNR doesn't have the legal power create new regulations absent legislative oversight.

Regarding Brexit, we can agree that it seems to be a fuck up, but it was what the majority of voters chose. Arguing that because people sometimes make unwise choices = they shouldn't get to chose, is literally the definition of a dictatorship.  

Do you propose that MD Governor should govern the state by personal decree indefinitely? After all, HIV/AIDs is still a health crisis 40 years later.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'm very law-abiding. The problem is, I hate getting accosted by these people while going about my law-abiding business.

There's one kid on the DNR boat that's based out of Rhode (or South)? river, that seems to have a bit of a power trip. Probably would be better suited to regular police work, where he can run speed traps or harass minorities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've hit on the crux of the issue.  The governor isn't the problem. The stay-at-home order has been lifted.

The issue is on-the-spot "legislation" by law enforcement officers because detailed instructions and clarification of the new regulations have not been passed down to those law enforcement officers.

@Bull City I hate to say this, but your post was pretty condescending. We are aware that we're in a public health emergency. We're aware that people have died and are dying. We don't all share your faith and optimism in our elected officials and we're all not as inclined as you to simply nod and go along with whatever they're ordering. To top it off, we're not even discussing elected officials, we're discussing un-elected law enforcement officers who are misinterpreting or making up laws with one boot on your toe rail and a citation book in hand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Starboard!! said:

There's one kid on the DNR boat that's based out of Rhode (or South)? river, that seems to have a bit of a power trip. Probably would be better suited to regular police work, where he can run speed traps or harass minorities.

During the lock down, we've had 2 NRP boats in the West and Rhode rivers. I've heard that they've given people a hard time so I've restricted my activities to kayaking until now.

My wife is a park ranger and she knows some of these people but not all of them and she has no pull with them. After meeting a few of them, I was very disappointed. A bunch of Oakley-wearing brush cuts in OD green SWAT suits, I heard a lot of bitching about park guests and the public in general as though parks and boating were some kind of a hindrance or personal inconvenience to them.

I guess we should just close all the state parks and put those fuckers out of their jobs, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

A bunch of Oakley-wearing brush cuts in OD green SWAT suits, I heard a lot of bitching about park guests and the public in general as though parks and boating were some kind of a hindrance or personal inconvenience to them.

I guess we should just close all the state parks and put those fuckers out of their jobs, then. 

Yeah I'm getting tired of those assholes kitted out like they're patrolling Ramadi circa 2007. You're puttering around on a glorified jetski writing citations for expired stickers, checking flares and counting PFDs, and occasionally arresting a DUI boater. If it's a real emergency, they call the fire/rescue boat, or BoatUS.

Worst thing is that Maryland has already lost nearly $1 billion in tax revenue... will they reduce their extra cops? Hell no, they'll just up their ticket quota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone been around Patapsco / Rock Creek? Curious what NRP enforcement looks like. We're delivering a boat out of that area to another state next weekend, which seems to fall under the "in transit" rules. However, we need a day to rig/shake down and will have a small crew (4-5). Curious if we'll get static from the fuzz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 - It isn't that I don't like the rules, I just want to be able to read the rules and know the water cops also read the same rules.

* imagine if the speed limit signs just said "Be Safe" and individual officers were free to decide if that meant 20 MPH or 200 MPH or any random thing :rolleyes:

** reminds me a bit of when the Bahamian government issued a tax on departing passengers without really bothering to define what a passenger was. I was getting creative with a flight engineer, copilot, navigator, and two flight attendants when the customs guy asked who all these crew members were serving, seeing as I had no passengers anyplace :rolleyes: We bargained for awhile and I ended up with a copilot and everyone else paid the $25. Third World fun for sure, but not what I want in Maryland.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least when I've traveled in other police-state, third world shit holes, I had the reassurance that some dollars would solve any problems, the "laws" are just a starting point for negotiations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starboard!! said:

Arguing that because people sometimes make unwise choices = they shouldn't get to chose, is literally the definition of a dictatorship.  

My understanding of a representative democracy, which is what I was taught we are, is that we elect leaders to make decisions on our behalf, taking into account our interests. These decisions are often complex, and many people do not have the time or inclination to fully inform themselves, and depend on their elected leader to do it. 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

You've hit on the crux of the issue.  The governor isn't the problem. The stay-at-home order has been lifted.

The issue is on-the-spot "legislation" by law enforcement officers because detailed instructions and clarification of the new regulations have not been passed down to those law enforcement officers.

@Bull City I hate to say this, but your post was pretty condescending. We are aware that we're in a public health emergency. We're aware that people have died and are dying. We don't all share your faith and optimism in our elected officials and we're all not as inclined as you to simply nod and go along with whatever they're ordering. To top it off, we're not even discussing elected officials, we're discussing un-elected law enforcement officers who are misinterpreting or making up laws with one boot on your toe rail and a citation book in hand.

I did not mean to be condescending, and I'm sorry I came off that way. I assumed MD was still subject to some form of physical distancing. The DNR people are usually appointed by the executive or legislature, so they're accountable.

Also it wasn't clear to me from the discussion that the only issue was the problem of law enforcement types arbitrarily calling the shots. Of course I would agree that that is unacceptable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Racing is apparently now authorized, with an unclear caveat-  "No 'gatherings' greater than 10 people."

WTF does that mean? No more than 10 singlehanded boats on the line? No more than 10 crew? No more than 10 people at an after-party?  This is just one more EO which will allow NRP to do on-the-spot legislation with ticket book in hand. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Racing is apparently now authorized, with an unclear caveat-  "No 'gatherings' greater than 10 people."

WTF does that mean? No more than 10 singlehanded boats on the line? No more than 10 crew? No more than 10 people at an after-party?  This is just one more EO which will allow NRP to do on-the-spot legislation with ticket book in hand. :rolleyes:

It's pretty clear to me:

  • "No more than 10 singlehanded boats on the line?"  No, that's not what it means.
  • "No more than 10 crew?"  Yes, that breaks the rule.
  • "No more than 10 people at an after-party?"  Yes, that breaks the rule.

 

It's a safety issue and really not complicated:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ajax said:

Racing is apparently now authorized, with an unclear caveat-  "No 'gatherings' greater than 10 people."

WTF does that mean? No more than 10 singlehanded boats on the line? No more than 10 crew? No more than 10 people at an after-party?  This is just one more EO which will allow NRP to do on-the-spot legislation with ticket book in hand. :rolleyes:

Where are you getting that from? Not what I am hearing but would like to be wrong. Want to laugh? Bunch of us were out on Lasers tuning up and informally racing on my home river. You know Lasers... one person boats. Maryland DNR water cops comes by and says we can’t race. We said we weren’t. No official race. Got kinda nasty and threatening on both sides before he left and we kept doing what we had been doing.  Very strange times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wess said:

Where are you getting that from? Not what I am hearing but would like to be wrong. Want to laugh? Bunch of us were out on Lasers tuning up and informally racing on my home river. You know Lasers... one person boats. Maryland DNR water cops comes by and says we can’t race. We said we weren’t. No official race. Got kinda nasty and threatening on both sides before he left and we kept doing what we had been doing.  Very strange times. 

Wess, Spinsheet Magazine posted an except from the Executive Order.

Lasers...JFC. This is exactly the kind of BS we're talking about.

This Friday, I took the sailboat to Tolly Point to do some fishing and anchored on the shoal which I *think* is sandy rather than mud.  We hooked 4 blue catfish in a little less than 2 hours. 2 got away, but the two we landed actually filled up the cooler with all the ice packs.  We saw NRP but they never checked on us. I think sailboats fishing is unusual for them.

Sat/Sunday, we simply cruised in the West and Rhode rivers. NRP all over the place but I only observed them stop one boat. I did observe several of the usual racing boats heading out. I'm not sure if they were practicing or actually going to a race somewhere. There was crew aboard.  I saw PHRF class flags flying but people just leave them rigged so I dunno if they were really going to a race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wess said:

Where are you getting that from? Not what I am hearing but would like to be wrong. Want to laugh? Bunch of us were out on Lasers tuning up and informally racing on my home river. You know Lasers... one person boats. Maryland DNR water cops comes by and says we can’t race. We said we weren’t. No official race. Got kinda nasty and threatening on both sides before he left and we kept doing what we had been doing.  Very strange times. 

That is really f**ked up. 

Have you guys contacted your state representatives? I have had pretty good results with ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now