2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

A6 ?

haha - not that far fetched. i mean after every fine ass woman i've ever dated dumps me (most already have), i'll prolly do something like this.

6 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Photos of Stella and her rebuild:

Definitely her.

Driven by Blackaller IIRC at the '76 QT Worlds in Corpus Christi.

Star 1.jpg

Star.jpg

Stela1.jpg

star e 1.jpg

bastard! gotta love the lead bricks sitting on deck...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lydia said:

Spot the problem in the middle pic.

and a detail that is lost ,check out the very cool spin launch tubes leading to the round bow rail.

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-4.jpeg

images.jpeg

hike bitch!

4 hours ago, lydia said:

It had no hope really!

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

The whole concept of lightweight frac rig boats was new to North American designers,

I think Peterson and Kirby were the only two to give it a whirl for that event.  Kirby had Eager Beaver which I believe finished a respectable 7th in a large fleet.

I recall Kirby saying he thought in hindsight that if you go fractional, you had to go all the way - with big low AR mains and small high AR headsails - like what the Kiwis had been doing.  He felt he and Peterson were a bit too conservative in their approach to frac rigs.

You can see that in the drawing of Stella posted upthread.  Fairly high AR main compared to The Bus

38 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

I understand she is on the market - asking GBP12,500

I would be surprised unless the owner is under financial duress (or getting a divorce), considering they shipped her to NZ a few years ago for the resto and must have spent well over GBP12,500 on that.

I doubt there is any more of an iconic IOR boat in NZ than The Bus.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:11 AM, 12 metre said:

I would be surprised unless the owner is under financial duress (or getting a divorce), considering they shipped her to NZ a few years ago for the resto and must have spent well over GBP12,500 on that.

I doubt there is any more of an iconic IOR boat in NZ than The Bus.

You may have forgotten Lion and Steinlager 2. Both restored and sailer regularly. 

On 5/7/2020 at 7:42 PM, lydia said:

Stella looks about a hundred years behind MB in every way

rocker, deck layout, rig weight etc

Totally disagree. She looks like a much more wholesome boat. Sure, not as radical, but practical and purposeful.

I dunno, I owned a Yamaha 25 mkII for more than a few years, 1/4 ton knock off, real pig downwind, but actually decent uphill. That damn treacherous bitch taught me alot about how to balance a boat with sail combinations and trim. The one square foot of rudder in the water was more of a brake than a steering aid. But I went from Oahu to Molokai and Lanai multiple times, and owe that boat some of the best sailing memories I have. 

On 5/11/2020 at 7:47 AM, lydia said:

Same but different!

1972 S&S 1/2 ton

From this....

image.png

image.png

Is this a S&S Defiance? Looks like a Savage built one by the deck on it.

Jack, Norm had a heart attack and sold it to my father who sailed it with a good young crew including a young Mike Lee and a couple of brothers called Hugh and Ian from Manly Boatshead.

On 5/12/2020 at 7:07 PM, Philc said:

Jack, Norm had a heart attack and sold it to my father who sailed it with a good young crew including a young Mike Lee and a couple of brothers called Hugh and Ian from Manly Boatshead.

Hugh and Ian were rank punters ...

On 5/12/2020 at 5:53 PM, Philc said:

If so here is the original Defiance built by Doug Brooker for his father.

Port Close.JPG

47 years old now and still put to good use.

Solo cruise around the Channel in a bit of breeze!

image.png