4 hours ago, Editor said:

it does.

Well?

1 hour ago, Editor said:

well what?

Details of your new boat.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Like 1

a 1976 freshwater e-35-2. almost totally redone, new inboard, etc. very stoked.

e 35 maybe2.jpg

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, Editor said:

a 1976 freshwater e-35-2. almost totally redone, new inboard, etc. very stoked.

e 35 maybe2.jpg

Looks good, congrats!  Out of curiosity was the PO currently at the top of the living goats for most Chi Mac's done?  If so, saw the boat a year ago in Charlevoix, MI and looked to be in good shape.

yessir! glad to hear. i am doing something i would never do - buying it sight unseen. although a trusted friend checked it out. if one wants a 35, i believe i may have gotten the best one.

King was an artist.

Well done.

On 6/11/2020 at 8:08 PM, Editor said:

do any of you know of 35's that race with this rudder? does phrf hit the rating for it?

Get a hold of Brownie. Since he makes them (Finco and Foss are almost the same company.) He may have a better insight.

11 hours ago, sledracr said:

PHRF-NW will ignore a rudder mod if "identical in construction, area, profile, balance and weight, including the rudder post  If the rudder differs in any way from this defiition a rating adjustment will be applied until such time as the observed performance shows that the change does not affect the speed potential"

PHRF-NW is a shit show of the highest order. I don't know who is calling the shots, but many of their ratings bear no relation to their one-design brothers across the nation.

Example: C&C 35 Mk II
Nationwide average: 126
PHRF-NW: 156 (same as SC27). 30 seconds/mile?!?!? No explanation given.

• Like 1

it already has the foss rudder. and a new inboard under the settee (where it belongs)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

PHRF-NW is a shit show of the highest order. I don't know who is calling the shots, but many of their ratings bear no relation to their one-design brothers across the nation.

There is a story behind that.  

The one I heard was that sometime in the 90s, it was decided that faster rated PHRF boats were winning too much.  About the same time they went from TOD to TOT.

To address that NW and BC decided that boats over something like 90 were given a 10% bump (O30 and Ross 930 excepted).  

I can't verify this because I got out of sailing in the mid 90.  What I do know is that when I left, my HF27 had a PHRF of 138.  When I returned some 15 years later, they were at 152 - a 14 sec bump.

Probably didn't make much of a difference back then because of the large fleets and the typical div splits.  So why do it?  IDK.

9 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Escapade (E37) had one added under my tutelage, bought from our friends up north back when it was still Phil's foils.

Beautiful paint job. Or was the navy blue gelcoat? I don't think we ever hit you hard enough to find out. :-) 

12 hours ago, 12 metre said:

There is a story behind that.  

The one I heard was that sometime in the 90s, it was decided that faster rated PHRF boats were winning too much.  About the same time they went from TOD to TOT.

To address that NW and BC decided that boats over something like 90 were given a 10% bump (O30 and Ross 930 excepted).  

I can't verify this because I got out of sailing in the mid 90.  What I do know is that when I left, my HF27 had a PHRF of 138.  When I returned some 15 years later, they were at 152 - a 14 sec bump.

Probably didn't make much of a difference back then because of the large fleets and the typical div splits.  So why do it?  IDK.

It has been forever thus. We got that when I raced in Seattle in a high-end program there was bitching of our rating. Then it became the 50 fleet (SC50's etc) then bitching stopped. Then racing in Vancouver with high-end program so it started again. One of our competitors (who's a decent sort.) and rather to challenge our rating in a meeting he challenged his rating. He did his circles & arrows presentation before the board, which was quite good I might add and the board was there any comments or questions before passing judgement? I stood up in the back of the room and said: "That boat doesn't have a boat speed problem - it's directional!". Some of the board guys just about did a spit take! It was denied btw. But the point is that some times they use a magical dartboard it seems to come up with this shit. We ended up using ORC club. We still did well but frankly, it was harder to do. You had to have your ducks in a row. Then the whining started wanting to go back to PHRF in those divisions. Funny, the whiners were the same people are 4th all the time. But only Jesus comes forth! 

20 hours ago, Editor said:

yessir! glad to hear. i am doing something i would never do - buying it sight unseen. although a trusted friend checked it out. if one wants a 35, i believe i may have gotten the best one.

For sure you got a nice example of that boat.  Being in freshwater boat is typically on the hard for 6 months of the year/not being used and the other 6 it is not subject to the corrosive effect that salt has on things (engine, fittings, etc), kind of a no brainer in my book.  There is another nice/well sailed sister ship in Chicago and from memory seem to recall reading on one of the SA forums, that they had a match race in the mac at the top of the lake  last year with your boat coming out ahead and podium (2nd in class) result. 

Nice that boat came from a long time experienced owner and that it is headed for someone who traditionally does a good job rehabbing boats, not all vessels are so lucky.

Will look forward to the full reports on progress as in the past with whatever upgrades you do.  Would also be interested to hear how the transport went.  One of the coolest pics I have seen in the semi recent past was a guy who bought a 1D48 from the PNW and had it trucked to the great lakes.  The owner told me and forget the exact location, but something or other pass and the boat is on the trailer/keel off with this cool looking mountain range in the background.  Super nice owner and super cool pic.  Enjoy the new addition!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 5:18 PM, @last said:

For sure you got a nice example of that boat.  Being in freshwater boat is typically on the hard for 6 months of the year/not being used and the other 6 it is not subject to the corrosive effect that salt has on things (engine, fittings, etc), kind of a no brainer in my book.  There is another nice/well sailed sister ship in Chicago and from memory seem to recall reading on one of the SA forums, that they had a match race in the mac at the top of the lake  last year with your boat coming out ahead and podium (2nd in class) result. 

Nice that boat came from a long time experienced owner and that it is headed for someone who traditionally does a good job rehabbing boats, not all vessels are so lucky.

Will look forward to the full reports on progress as in the past with whatever upgrades you do.  Would also be interested to hear how the transport went.  One of the coolest pics I have seen in the semi recent past was a guy who bought a 1D48 from the PNW and had it trucked to the great lakes.  The owner told me and forget the exact location, but something or other pass and the boat is on the trailer/keel off with this cool looking mountain range in the background.  Super nice owner and super cool pic.  Enjoy the new addition!

thanks mate! i am looking forward to getting the boat, no doubt. i am not planing on any mods at this point - don't want to get buggered by phrf - but for sure i'll change some rigging, halyards, sheets, blocks, etc. you know, gotta make it mine!

9 minutes ago, Editor said:

thanks mate! i am looking forward to getting the boat, no doubt. i am not planing on any mods at this point - don't want to get buggered by phrf - but for sure i'll change some rigging, halyards, sheets, blocks, etc. you know, gotta make it mine!

Plans to deviate from the "traditional"  stickers?

Just like cars, boats also go faster with stickers.  The more the better.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:53 PM, Editor said:

Congrats on the new boat. Ericson 35s are on my short list. Is there a reason why you chose a Mk 2 over a Mk 3?

10 hours ago, Editor said:

No worries, enjoy!

So I have to ask, where is A4 headed/new home?

On 6/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, @last said:

Looks good, congrats!  Out of curiosity was the PO currently at the top of the living goats for most Chi Mac's done?  If so, saw the boat a year ago in Charlevoix, MI and looked to be in good shape.

yep!

16 hours ago, @last said:

No worries, enjoy!

So I have to ask, where is A4 headed/new home?

yes indeed. marina del rey, but i don't think they will be racing it. gonna be a modified shorthanded boat. okay....

On 6/15/2020 at 11:36 AM, Roam said:

Congrats on the new boat. Ericson 35s are on my short list. Is there a reason why you chose a Mk 2 over a Mk 3?

for me, i needed a boat 10' or under to fit in our primo slip. mark 3 too fat. and besides i like the looks of the 2 better and it is a boat i had a connection with when i was younger.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 12:11 PM, maxstaylock said:

Do you get penalised for changing to a tiller?  Wheels on small boats are a bit 'Summer Rental'?

no penalty. i hate wheels on this size boat so we'll prolly switch. it ruins the cockpit though as it is so long. gotta check it out first!

I would love this J/35 if I had the coin

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/j-boats-j-35-j35-j-35--3649101/

The J/35 Breakaway has been updated and optimized for PHRF and short-handed racing- Added a new mast in 2012, retractable carbon sprit and asymmetrical spinnakers in 2018. Breakaway has been a regular contender in the NE Solo Twin race, the Ida Lewis Distance Race, and has sailed the Bermuda 1-2 in 2017.

59 minutes ago, Editor said:

for me, i needed a boat 10' or under to fit in our primo slip. mark 3 too fat. and besides i like the looks of the 2 better and it is a boat i had a connection with when i was younger.

Congrats on the new boat.  Raced against Doc Holiday on Aquarius lots growing up and they were always the boat to beat.

Still a great looking boats. 

2 hours ago, bloodshot said:

I would love this J/35 if I had the coin

J/35 is a good enough boat but...

• It won't fit in Scot's slip.
  • It is not a "cruising" cockpit. No combings. Any splash of water is headed straight to your butt. So it's not racy enough to be a racer's racer but it's not cruisy enough to be a cruiser/racer.

As I age, I become less tolerant of cockpits that aren't ergonomic. I really like sportboats' cockpits or mid-'90s Farr cockpits like Farr 40, Mumm 30, etc. Etchells are so much more ergonomic than an Olson 30 -- so much more comfortable to sail. I'm done with sailing hate missions on pain boxes.

3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

• It is not a "cruising" cockpit. No combings. Any splash of water is headed straight to your butt. So it's not racy enough to be a racer's racer but it's not cruisy enough to be a cruiser/racer.

As I age, I become less tolerant of cockpits that aren't ergonomic. I really like sportboats' cockpits or mid-'90s Farr cockpits like Farr 40, Mumm 30, etc. Etchells are so much more ergonomic than an Olson 30 -- so much more comfortable to sail. I'm done with sailing hate missions on pain boxes.

well stated my friend.

8 hours ago, Editor said:

gramps thought you had a connection with a Ranger 33 whatever that is.

15 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Would you call a Mumm 30 cockpit dry or cruisey? I’m not mocking, I very vaguely considered buying one but I feared Mrs. Tonner would kill me if I did. 

41 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Would you call a Mumm 30 cockpit dry or cruisey? I’m not mocking, I very vaguely considered buying one but I feared Mrs. Tonner would kill me if I did. 

Nothing about the Mumm 30 is particularly cruisey unless you are under 5' tall and like having a bucket for a head.  But the cockpit IS pretty ergonomic and nice for racing.

14 hours ago, VWAP said:

gramps thought you had a connection with a Ranger 33 whatever that is.

yes, both. did a pv race on a 33. first overall.

19 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I'm done with sailing hate missions on pain boxes.

I’m very close to that stage.  When I’m done racing. I’ll be looking for a boat I can sit in rather than sit on.

13 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I’m very close to that stage.  When I’m done racing. I’ll be looking for a boat I can sit in rather than sit on.

20188577740_aa591223f1.jpg

On 6/12/2020 at 10:53 PM, Editor said:

You won't be disappointed, G & G maintain their boats well and do quality upgrade work, jobbing out what they can't do to skilled pros. It will be basically turn-key.

15 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Absolutely not! How could you get that from my post?

It's ergonomic. You can pull the strings you need to make it go fast without having to either get off the rail or pull from awkward and thus potentially unhealthy positions. 

I love the Mumm 30 but it isn't cruise-worthy at all. That said we did an Ensenada Race on one with 3 guys and 2 gals. The gals managed to serve up steaks and salads for dinner and fresh-made breakfast burritos at dawn! The owner had two other yachts -- a larger center console and a larger Jeanneau. She called the Mumm her "camper yacht". Sporty gal.

• Like 1

This custom 34' IRC Racer from NZL designer, Kevin Dibley looks pretty damn smart.

"Designed for IRC Racing in the smaller range, the Dibley 34 caters for those that race in Coastal and Offshore racing events where the ratio between upwind and reaching is 40/60. This version of the Dibley 34 has been designed to fall just under that heavier displacement hull form, which will allow it to light up in reaching conditions, and yet not be so light that the Rating is killed."

http://www.dibleymarine.com/sail/sail/dib34irc.html

dibley-34-final-render-c.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

This custom 34' IRC Racer from NZL designer, Kevin Dibley looks pretty damn smart.

"Designed for IRC Racing in the smaller range, the Dibley 34 caters for those that race in Coastal and Offshore racing events where the ratio between upwind and reaching is 40/60. This version of the Dibley 34 has been designed to fall just under that heavier displacement hull form, which will allow it to light up in reaching conditions, and yet not be so light that the Rating is killed."

Great designer and looking forward to seeing the “40” canting keeler splashing hopefully before the coastal this year .

Fucjin cool to see his Lyman Morse collab getting a mention on the front page too .

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:44 PM, Somebody Else said:

Check the phrf database if you need an explanation, or ask. Quite simple math: base (129) + code 3 main (+6) + code 3 headsail (+6) + nfs (+21) = 162. There was a mistake when the undersized main wasn’t added so -6 = 156. To think a boat with sunbrella covers on the 135%, Bimini, dodger, and hot water heater can upset a proud SC27 owner.  

I will let my wife and 2 kids (under 7) know they’ve made you concerned about the fairness of phrf. 

Don’t worry we added a 4’ sprit and the big ass a-kite is on the way, which will get us back down to 129 eventually. 

whiner. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 1:43 PM, Sailbydate said:

A damn good guy and alot of great ideas with style and function. 

• Like 1

Looking at the Donovan 35 footer makes me think of the Ross 35 - Higher Ground and The Guarantee. Both are for sail in NZ.

Also Kevin and I talked some years ago about the 34 footer. As I recall the starting point was it had to be faster than an Elliott 1050 and fit into a 12 metre marina with the prod.

• Like 1

Damn, you shoulda bought the 11-Meter off your own forums. Would have 2’ of beam to spare, and a way less sketchy trailer

13 minutes ago, Munster said:

This one goes pretty good !

Shaw 11 b.jpeg

Little NicoB)

On 6/8/2020 at 9:11 PM, @last said:

Slight Hijack-is that the Brook Dee's GP 26 next to it?  How is she liking her new home/doing results wise/what is her new name/where is pic taken?

Wraith won her div in the Van Isle 360 last summer and regularly crashes local M24 OD races. She is a real swiss army knife! 

X-35
Fast, very well build, with good IRC and ORCi Rating and a decent interior. 
a little bit pricey but with 10.7 ft max beam

10.jpg

x35-interior-review.jpg

X-35_Spec pdf.jpg

10 hours ago, swangtang said:

Wraith won her div in the Van Isle 360 last summer and regularly crashes local M24 OD races. She is a real swiss army knife! 

Thanks for the info, always love to hear where a boat ends up and what the latest chapter of her story is.  Exchanged a few notes with Brook when he had her for sale and he sounded like a really nice guy and the boat was obviously a labor of love on many levels.   Glad she has found a good home.

• Like 1