Let's just say I am going to do something slightly foolish and cut the foot of a dacron sail to fit a different boat.  Ain't got a sewing machine and let's pretend I can't or won't go to a loft.  What kind of glue would you use to form the new foot, which won't be under a huge load, just to keep it from unravelling..?  There's a full length batten a few inches above to handle load/shape.  Any thoughts on how you would go about it?  And if you're just going to poopoo on the whole idea, please refrain.  Thanks!

hotknife to cut and cauterize the dacron.  but make sure you leave enough to fold a hem

then use double side seam tape to hold the hem in place.  then get some sail repair tape to hold the hem down.

and figure out a way to squeeze the bejesus out of it to get it really as flat a wrinkle free as possible.  you'd only get one shot at it.

and if you wanted to,  you could always hand stitch a running stitch in the hem and then do the sail repair tape to cover the stitching.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Advanced issue found

1 hour ago, mundt said:

Ain't got a sewing machine 

And you call yourself a sailor...

(and 5200 would glue the hem together, just need to hold it till it sets)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

If all you're using is 5200, how do you hold it in place 'til it cures?

I also wonder if 3M VHB tape could be strong enough on its own

I'm told that you use fast-cure and pretty much stare at it with a rubbing stick in your hand 'till it's cured.

VHB would be interesting. I've stuck some things on pretty permanently with VHB, and there were some sailmakers using no-foam VHB to build spinnakers with no stitching for awhile.

HW

• Like 1