Do you protect the sides of your boat from the sun?

My 14.2 sits in the sun all day long. Should I worry about the sun damaging the sides of the boat or the gel coat?  
It has a cover on the top, but the rest is wide open.  

I did find this bottom cover at SLO Sail & Canvas for about 200 bucks, but it requires that you hoist the boat into the air to install it. I have no way of doing that.  

www.slosailandcanvas.com

Capri 14.2 by Catalina Sailboat Bottom Cover - Boat Hull Cover

New Capri 14.2 hull cover handmade in the USA
www.slosailandcanvas.com www.slosailandcanvas.com

It would be great if someone made a cover that went just down to the bunk-boards on the trailer so it could be installed without lifting the boat, but since I don't have access to a crane, would waxing the sides of the boat be a good idea?  

Other than the catamarans, almost none of the other boats in the yard have their bottoms covered.  

fullsizeoutput_bab.jpeg

Thanks! Any recommendations for a particular kind of wax? Can it be applied by hand, or do I need an electric buffer?

There’s no power at the yard, but I have a cordless drill and an inverter in my van to keep it charged.

Apply a coat of good automotive cleaner/wax once a year and go sailing. The sun in the Bay Area can't be that bad. I repeat, go sailing. Happy Sailing! 

Just get a bottle of 3M marine wax.  It will last you for years and can be applied by hand.  Wash the boat, rinse it off, wax the topsides.  

I wax all of my boats.  I had an International 210 (30') from 1987 and a friend had the same from 1996.  At the time when I went to sell it in 2006, my boat looked great with shiny topsides and my buddy's boat, which he didn't wax, was a dried out chalky mess.  Not only does it preserve the boat itself, it also preserves the boat's value.   

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/3m-marine-fiberglass-cleaner-and-wax 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WCB said:

Just get a bottle of 3M marine wax.  It will last you for years and can be applied by hand.  Wash the boat, rinse it off, wax the topsides.  

I wax all of my boats.  I had an International 210 (30') from 1987 and a friend had the same from 1996.  At the time when I went to sell it in 2006, my boat looked great with shiny topsides and my buddy's boat, which he didn't wax, was a dried out chalky mess.  Not only does it preserve the boat itself, it also preserves the boat's value.   

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/3m-marine-fiberglass-cleaner-and-wax 

+1 on the 3M one step with mild abrasive.  I used it on my 1981 J/30 that I sold in 2014 and the gelcoat looked great.  I also use it on my 2005 J/109.  The mild compound in it gets out any chalking and the rub stripes that grey rubber edging on some slips marks if you don't have a fender.  It isn't as aggressive as regular rubbing compound.  The wax buffs out nicely.  I apply PTFE (teflon)  liquid wax over it which easily hand buffs out and extends the wax life.