I have a 1960 Bob Hoar Flying Dutchman project boat with trailer. Also have mast, sails, rudder and most hardware.

It all goes FREE to anyone who will restore her.

I bought the boat in Ohio and it was a show stopper with beautiful ribbon cut mahogany veneers on the deck and a shiny varnished hull. I got busy with my job and family plus added a few pounds and the boat fell into disuse. The kids damaged the deck ( hole) and I started to do a restore by sanding the deck but ran out of time.

The boat has a tailored cover and has been under a shed roof but the varnish is broken down and wood is dry and exposed in spots.

We will be selling our house soon and I must dispose of the boat and trailer ASAP or take her to the boneyard.

I am in Raleigh NC

Any takers email me at jeffnmette@aol.com or call 919-426-8410

• Like 1

Hi guys,

The FD is a 1960 Bob Hoare #136. According to the previous owner she was the #2 backup boat for the USA in the 60 Olympics.

I appreciate the interest. I do not have the expertise to do the work. I bought the boat in 2002 and it was a beauty. Got attention whereever it went. I got busy and it fell into disuse. It sat out in weather ( with tarp ) until I built a lean to over it.

Now I am moving and have to clear it out. I hate to have to dump it as it’s a classic. The engineering and structure is impressive. As far as I can tell the structure is sound.

The hull looks good too. Under the old varnish the wood is light and clean except at the left rear there is a scrape about 10” long and 1/4” to 1/2” wide that will need repair.

The main work would be the decking and transom which are plywood. The framing for the transom is OK it just needs a new piece of plywood cut and fitted. Some of the decking may be salvageable if sanded and then ribbon cut mahogany or teak applied. The ribbon cut that was on it is completely gone. When it got sun damaged I sanded it off and tried putting on epoxy. It was a mistake on my part.

I took a lot of pictures inside the hull ( excuse acorns, apparently some mice wintered inside) to show the frames, trunk, thwarts and ribs appear fine. The previous owner restored it using West System epoxy. 

It comes with extra rudders and center boards. I have two masts and booms. One a gold Proctor the other aluminum. All hardware is taken off but I have it in a box. 

Have sails but they are in fair condition.

Need to have someone pick her up ASAP

call Jeff

919-426-8410

Steam Flyer will you save her?

Shes on trailer ready to go. Trailer has new wheels and bearings and is in great shape except no lights installed.

Boat also has waterproof tailored cover.

I may be able to tow her part way and meet you somewhere. 

Jeff

This boat is worth saving. It is a very early hull number and the construction is amazing. Strong but light. This boat is a British classic and Bob Hoare who is deceased is a very famous builder and champion. His FDs won gold. I think he raced also.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I thought somebody already picked this up? Dex, WTF dude?

I'm a couple hours away, but I'll come if nobody else will step up.

FB- Doug

I can pick it up and store it for a while to stop the wreckingball but can't take on the project. I thought @dgmckim  was taking it.

2 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

I can pick it up and store it for a while to stop the wreckingball but can't take on the project. I thought @dgmckim  was taking it.

Hmm, I got that impression... not sure where he's at, somewhere not too far, I think.

Have to say, I'd be reluctant because I already have a bunch of old boats laying around and my main interest would be to make an Everglades Challenger out of it... not 100% kosher

FB- Doug

DMcKim was going to take the boat for a friend. But the friend decided he had to many projects.

Sorry, but I need to get the boat out of the yard by the weekend.

I've used the "just holding it for a friend" gambit on my wife successfully before but I don't want to push it.

If nobody steps up, I'll try to delay the dumpster move.

Can I text your number from your post?

• Like 2

Sorry,

Planning on disposing of boat tomorrow unless someone claims her. If claimed I can wait a few days for pickup but please be serious.

thanks

Bob Hoare was one of the best. The only better that I ever saw was by Carl Eichenlaub for his own boat when Lowell North and a lot of the Star sailors went to the FD class before the 72 LA Olympics. I later had a Bob Hoare TORNADO Olympic cat that was awesomely stiff, light and fast. It was old but was still competitive against all but the all carbon Marstroms. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CRJ700ca said:

Sorry,

Planning on disposing of boat tomorrow unless someone claims her. If claimed I can wait a few days for pickup but please be serious.

thanks

I know talk is cheap and have no idea your situation but I would hope you can wait a little bit longer before disposal. You may have quite a nice boat on your hands and with the right person the attached picture and link can show what is possible. If I didn't already have a wooden project and lived a bit closer....

https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-launchings/flying-dutchman-ned262

Have you tried contacting the USA FD association?

https://sailfdusa.org/

Screen_Shot_2020-05-14_at_4_55.37_PM.png

12 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

I know talk is cheap and have no idea your situation but I would hope you can wait a little bit longer before disposal. You may have quite a nice boat on your hands and with the right person the attached picture and link can show what is possible. If I didn't already have a wooden project and lived a bit closer....

I'm close and am going to pick it up Sunday to buy this boat some extra time to find a new home.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Wow, FDs have got to be some of the most attractive dinghys in the world, especially whan they are made out of wood!

I have always wanted to own one. 

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Wow, FDs have got to be some of the most attractive dinghys in the world, especially whan they are made out of wood!

I have always wanted to own one. 

Well, there's a "diamond in the rough" waiting for you in Raleigh, NC! Big project but nothing that some desire and a good place to work can't overcome! While the boat is "free" you can expect to pay BUT look at what can be the result!!!

And take a look at this one:

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/flying-dutchman-restoration/

17 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Bob Hoare was one of the best. The only better that I ever saw was by Carl Eichenlaub for his own boat when Lowell North and a lot of the Star sailors went to the FD class before the 72 LA Olympics. I later had a Bob Hoare TORNADO Olympic cat that was awesomely stiff, light and fast. It was old but was still competitive against all but the all carbon Marstroms. 

Do you mean 84? The 72 Olympics were held in Munich.

1 hour ago, Doug Halsey said:

Do you mean 84? The 72 Olympics were held in Munich.

I must have been thinking of the 68 Olympics Sailing in Acapulco that got the West Coast guys all fired up. I think the West Coast regionals were held in Guadalajara at one point and everyone came back from that saying how great the sailing had been. I was just a High School kid and only did the Southern Ca. events but it was a great opportunity.  I did get to go on a convoy with the Navy Sailing Club FD fleet to San Francisco which was like going to Mt Everest to me! We used to use the cooking spray cans of PAM to lube up the spinnaker downhaul tubes on the bow and my StepMom found a couple of empty cans in my duffel upon return from that race and she thought I was huffing the Freon or whatever to get high! Maybe that was the source of my confusion about the dates of the Olympic events mentioned... Thank for the clarification Doug. 

Are you Halsey Sails?

If it is merely the top deck--and not rotten frames underneath, that is one of those jobs that looks worse than it is.  I did one on a 505 and then chainsawed the boat when I got our Bob Hoare Olympic FD, that is in near perfect condition.  EXCEPT FOR A GIANT UNTRACEABLE LEAK HAHAHAHHA  I CRACK MYSELF UP.  Back to post, The transom could be challenging, but I am willing to bet that new acrylic doors will take care of that, rather than a full removal and install, from the photos.  

On 5/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, Dex Sawash said:

The FD is at my house now. Will inventory the issues and figure out if I fix it myself or pass it along. 

How does it look? 

9 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

How does it look? 

Salvageable hull. Spars look fantastic. Rigging look mostly 80s/90s updatewith bullet blocks so no shitty bakelite gear. Will do new thread with pics and debate if I fix it.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Salvageable hull. Spars look fantastic. Rigging look mostly 80s/90s updatewith bullet blocks so no shitty bakelite gear. Will do new thread with pics and debate if I fix it.

Sounds good. This restoration project of the FD in Greece looks like a great resource.