I tried it without the instructions and got part way there before my almost 5 year old came and interrupted me. I'll have to try it again later after I read the instructions and he is off doing something else. 

pretty cool though. Thanks for sharing it. 

1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

I tried it without the instructions and got part way there before my almost 5 year old came and interrupted me. I'll have to try it again later after I read the instructions and he is off doing something else. 

pretty cool though. Thanks for sharing it. 

Instructions!  Bah!

1 hour ago, Bugsy said:

That is astonishingly cool!   Thanks for sharing. 

I docked on my first try but probably took too long and used up too much fuel.  

Yep, I've done it but took way too long. Need a target velocity.

I admit, I cheated and read the instructions.

- DSK

24 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yep, I've done it but took way too long. Need a target velocity.

I admit, I cheated and read the instructions.

- DSK

At first I skimmed the instructions, but on the third try I paid attention to them.;)

110513375_Screenshot_2020-05-13SPACEX-ISSDockingSimulator(1).png.29ce0f65e93fee966a8efa66e45cedb9.png

• Like 1

Got it on 2nd try without instructions.  The trick is to realize it has a lot of translational inertia but not much inertia in any of the other axes (roll, pitch, yaw).  Get the spacecraft attitude correct, even if it isn't lined up with the target, then adjust the path with translation.  That's all the instructions you really need.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bugsy said:

That is astonishingly cool!   Thanks for sharing. 

I docked on my first try but probably took too long and used up too much fuel.  

Same here, would be cool if you could level up or something and you got a fuel budget to work with.

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

fuck, that's hard!

Like full keel docking hard...

I thought so at first, but either read the instructions, or read post #10, then it is easy.  It isn't rocket..... oh, wait. B)

10 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

I thought so at first, but either read the instructions, or read post #10, then it is easy.  It isn't rocket..... oh, wait. B)

There are directions to read?

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, hobot said:

so, someone else didn't read the supplied instructions?

Saw one headline; "Did you turn it off and on?".

But still, whoa.

Back in the 90s the company I work for had it's 64 bit mainframe chip used in the automated guidance system to the 1st ISS.

A buddy working on the software explained to me the system needed to dock to the ISS by getting within half an inch of the docking ring at 18,000 mph 3 dimensionally in outer space.

30 years ago, that was quite the achievement with the technologies available.

46 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Back in the 90s

What a coincidence. Nauka was 70% completed in the 90s. Not sure of the propulsion systems.

I hope the investigation into the anomaly reveals simple, stupid stuff.