Forespar Flowtech Valve trouble

Surely someone out there has experienced this. All 3 of the Flowtech valves on our boat have trouble locking open.

I think the issue is the air being compressed above the valve head. This results in the valves being difficult to get locked in an full open position, and results in slow drains etc.

These are original valves installed by the builder, and appear to have been installed correctly, we have cleaned and lubed them, but this back pressure felt while pulling up on the valve seems like something is wrong. Appreciate hearing if anyone has similar experiences or advice. Searching the forum, I come across only scary stories about Marelon.

Thanks,

Amalfi

These were on a boat I've spent a fair bit of time with over several years. Skippered the boat double handed (w/o the owner) a few hundred miles, raced a bunch, etc etc..

They always felt like a bear to open, but closed extremely well and the close process makes a lot of sense in an emergency. I really respect that part.

The trick I found was to rotate them on the way up. A little wiggle and they would eventually work up.

Also, I think the red/green distinction on the paddle was nonsense. It's hard to manage when you're half asleep, impossible to explain to new crew and generally garbage. 

If I were installing through hulls, I would not choose them as I found them frustrating, as you've noted. But, I respect the design. 

Short answer: sounds like they're working as designed.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:09 PM, Amalfi said:

Surely someone out there has experienced this. All 3 of the Flowtech valves on our boat have trouble locking open.

I think the issue is the air being compressed above the valve head. This results in the valves being difficult to get locked in an full open position, and results in slow drains etc.

These are original valves installed by the builder, and appear to have been installed correctly, we have cleaned and lubed them, but this back pressure felt while pulling up on the valve seems like something is wrong. Appreciate hearing if anyone has similar experiences or advice. Searching the forum, I come across only scary stories about Marelon.

Thanks,

Amalfi

Don't lube! They rely on the friction between the handle's compressed o-rings and the inside of the sea-cock. The best way to get them all the way up is twist (gently) and pull (harder than you'd like) as you reach the top of the stroke. I mark all of the handle shafts with paint marker to denote max open.

HW

Thanks to you both for your responses! I didn't think about the lube actually making it worse to lock, but yeah very good point! Agreed they close wonderfully, and the flush finish is great for speed (our primary purpose is racing). Will have to unlube them next time the boat is out.

Very good idea to indicate max open.  

The colors,  yeah green is locked and red is unlocked but doesn't feel much different -- not so intuitive.

If you were choosing replacements, what alternatives exist that achieve the same finish when closed?

I also appreciate the pulling harder than you like comment. I feel terrible pulling on such a critical fitting, often accepting a slow drain vs. the potential alternative :)

Great to hear from someone from Halifax, my father is from West Dover!

Cheers,

Amalfi