DIY splicing tools

Center of a BIC pen.  I used this on a very light wind Round the County to make up light air sheets for the boat I was crewing on. 

A strand of CAT5 wire bend in half is also handy for splicing really tiny dyneema, like the 2.2mm lash-it stuff. 

• Like 1

I dismantle a bike gear cable housing to get at the internal tube, which I wanted to help lead a new internally routed bike gear cable. Don't ask.

Turned out that the dozen or so fine wires that make up the outer housing of a bike gear cable are great for spicing 1.5 and 1.8mm D12.

13 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why didn't youse all have your ditty bags with you?

That’s what’s IN the ditty bag. And glove box, and sailing gear bag. The little piece of wire that is.

21 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Coat hanger in a pinch. But I do 99% of my work now with a bent piece of stainless TIG rod.

HW

The TIG rod is an absolute win, especially on 3mm and thicker spec 12 or similar. I showed it to a mate who does very fancy work using all the correct kit and he was sold as it is a huge time saver for 90% of common splicing. For thinner stuff I sometimes use 1 end of the rod and attack the tail to it with masking tape.

Bike spoke. Bic pen. Seizing wire. Knitting needle. Tape. 

My splices are usually in small diameter line, so slicing needles don't really make a difference to me.  I usually am doing them while I'm bored at home and don't have the kit from a boat on me.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I made a whole set from diff diameter  knitting needles. 

Cut the end off and drilled a hole down the centre to take the line to be spliced.

image.png.6edb7b9645e5f572d0c82bd03fc6d1b7.png

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/bpo/d/delta-selma-fids-rope-splicing-set/7110510679.html

I use an IUD insertion tool (minus the IUD & make sure its not used) ,  also have a cardiac catheter wire.  very fine wire thats strong.  Odd items but great for splicing small lines

Mirena Lawsuit - Information About Mirena IUD Contraceptive

A six inch nail with the head of the nail ground off and the pointy end rounded to a nice point - finished it with 400 grit sandpaper to polish it smooth. Insert down the middle of the rope until the pointy end is about half way out and tie off with Sellotape. Have also used knitting needles and BIC pens as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Paper clip to unroll inversions in 12-strand when doing a one-end-accessible eye splice. Bend it into an S shape and it makes a good hook for grabbing the part you want to unroll and pulling it back through.

Set of aluminum crochet hooks for various uses.

Recently picked up a set of dreadlock crochet hooks that look like they'll be good for pulling cover strands aside to get at the core.

32 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Bent coat hangar...

I've got 3 sizes of the Toss splicing wands. No comparison to a coat hanger. None. the little snare is magic. Yes, you could make your own with a knitting needle, but the Toss wand is perfect.

Now, for small line I use a piece of stainless wire, folded over.  Same idea, but can be used on 3mm stuff.

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I've got 3 sizes of the Toss splicing wands. No comparison to a coat hanger. None. the little snare is magic. Yes, you could make your own with a knitting needle, but the Toss wand is perfect.

Now, for small line I use a piece of stainless wire, folded over.  Same idea, but can be used on 3mm stuff.

if you were going to get just one of the splicing wands, which size,  I think the biggest line I have is 3/8,  but I've mostly gone to 5/16's everywhere..

9 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if you were going to get just one of the splicing wands, which size,  I think the biggest line I have is 3/8,  but I've mostly gone to 5/16's everywhere..

I’d go with small

• Like 1

Like others mentioned -- doubled up stainless seizing wire and coat hanger. 

I also made a couple of soft fids from scraps of dyneema and dyneema chafe sleeve.  Sometimes they are the only thing that works.