14 hours ago, terrafirma said:

This isn't the best example. Some of you will remember this thing was a failure from Day 1 - It was Genuine Risk designed by Dubois. A very narrow boat that just never had a good run at anything. A few people has a go at it but no luck. 

Just get it modified by a NZ naval architect, add outriggers for wider spreaders and winner winner chicken dinner

• Like 1
23 hours ago, pulpit said:

Flippin Out

It's not what they paid for the boat as they would of picked her up at rock bottom $$$$$ as she was sitting around for a few years.

I wonder what it's cost to  get her back up to speed ? 

Pulpit

That's sort of where I was going with it. 

12 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

That's sort of where I was going with it. 

sucks when a new main is more than purchase price.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

120K - cheap az bro - does it have an electric head ?

Why would you need an electric head? Do you have one at home? Or do you have an electric arse?

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Why would you need an electric head? Do you have one at home? Or do you have an electric arse?

No - popular with the Japanese though - i think their dunny's chat to em

Terra,

those Jones canters were an odd design with both rams on one side, and they were what held the keel located in the bearings. One fails and all hell is let loose. Hope it is different now in this boat.

anyone know what happened to the Jones VO70? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, terrafirma said:

The original boat was a very narrow 90 foot CBTF Canter by Dubois. Perhaps the paint job and colors set her off on a bad start? 

Large_2010Npt_Berm_df_780B1.jpg

Isn't one of her rigs at the bottom of Lake Huron?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Remember this in 2004 when the original Skandia wild Thing was abandoned. Subsequently Wharro sued the keel maker or hydraulic ram maker?

http://archive.sailingscuttlebutt.com/photos/04/sh1228/

Sued Major Engineering but ultimately lost in court of appeal. Pretty sure Major folded anyway due to legal costs. 

Rags 90 got new boards when Syd bought it down here I think. Didn’t do much after that but though. Offer to take it away, it’s taking up valuable space. 

Syd’s grandson still got the TP or did that get sold off as well? 

21 hours ago, eastern motors said:

I wonder if that mast could be repurposed for anything other than a 90ft race boat.

I wonder if it would be a good fit for a 80 footer that is in Brisbane ?

Pulpit

On 6/25/2021 at 2:58 PM, Chimp too said:

Terra,

those Jones canters were an odd design with both rams on one side, and they were what held the keel located in the bearings. One fails and all hell is let loose. Hope it is different now in this boat.

Pretty sure it was doing charter runs out if Shitney

On 6/26/2021 at 10:19 PM, pulpit said:

I wonder if it would be a good fit for a 80 footer that is in Brisbane ?

Pulpit

Maybe it could be good for Arca. Might be longer than their current mast that looks too short

1 hour ago, Swanno said:

Pretty sure it was doing charter runs out if Shitney

Sold to China a few years back.

4 hours ago, Swanno said:

Thanks for the correction

Without sliding wildly off topic I believe that chinese program was wound up pretty aggressively and on short notice. 

Last I had heard the Jones VO70 was in mothballs at Oyster Cove Marina in Tassie, and there was some talk of another charter circling it for the 2021 race.

37 minutes ago, point said:

Without sliding wildly off topic I believe that chinese program was wound up pretty aggressively and on short notice. 

Last I had heard the Jones VO70 was in mothballs at Oyster Cove Marina in Tassie, and there was some talk of another charter circling it for the 2021 race.

There is a rather large and sporty looking racing yacht tied up at the end of a jetty according to Google Maps.

17 hours ago, Swanno said:

There is a rather large and sporty looking racing yacht tied up at the end of a jetty according to Google Maps.

Went back to Sydney almost 2 years ago, not sure where exactly. I was going to do the delivery but had to step off due to work

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 4:58 PM, Chimp too said:

Terra,

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2005-volvo-70/SSE-AD-6383342/?Cr=0

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 10:10 PM, SCANAS said:

Syd’s grandson still got the TP or did that get sold off as well? 

It was sold to South Aus I believe...

• Like 1

A fair chunk of her history seems to have disappeared too.

She was probably the slowest of the Volvo 70's,  but would still be quick enough to frighten a lot of fleets.  Ah but the running costs.......scary!

42 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

She was probably the slowest of the Volvo 70's,  but would still be quick enough to frighten a lot of fleets.  Ah but the running costs.......scary!

Probably....... Absolutely and always under funded.... I'd suggest even at $100,000 it's unsellable  

1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

The repo?