Lincoln Project - getting better with every film

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What an amazingly calm, deliberate, thoughtful man. I hope he will play a part in national leadership. Specifically about abortion- he frames the situation very well, and I hope it counters the e

I can see people choosing to live under a competent dictator, Xi is a good example. He has majority support in China with complaints mainly being about corruption and high food prices. Trump is someth

Posted Images

Politics, like religion, is run on faith.  And there is no logical reason for it.

We are told we should believe something and should not question those who tell us that.  This is how we repeatedly end up with some of the worst elected officials man is capable of choosing.  And it's how we got Trump.

But the big difference between politics and religion is we have facts that contradict faith, right under out nose.  All we have to do is see if promises made on the campaign trail are promises kept.  And they usually aren't. 

It's mind boggling how many grown adults refuse to turn to facts, but instead repeatedly rely on faith. when they vote.  And their numbers are growing.

44 minutes ago, Jules said:

Politics, like religion, is run on faith.  And there is no logical reason for it.

We are told we should believe something and should not question those who tell us that.  This is how we repeatedly end up with some of the worst elected officials man is capable of choosing.  And it's how we got Trump.

But the big difference between politics and religion is we have facts that contradict faith, right under out nose.  All we have to do is see if promises made on the campaign trail are promises kept.  And they usually aren't. 

It's mind boggling how many grown adults refuse to turn to facts, but instead repeatedly rely on faith. when they vote.  And their numbers are growing.

Science is about how, faith is about why.  They overlap but not completely. 

Religion and politics start both start with why type questions and then move toward how.  That's why they always tend to overlap 

27 minutes ago, benwynn said:

There were factual statements in there about what is actually happening. In other words, textbook TDS. 

Remind me again of the bias we find inherent in facts?

38 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

Science is about how, faith is about why. 

inquiry is about why. faith is about control since the very first bearded guy told the women in his tribe that the deities told him they must all fuck him. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

inquiry is about why. faith is about control since the very first bearded guy told the women in his tribe that the deities told him they must all fuck him. 

Success follows faith. The bearded guy had an even better idea the second day:

A tithe is a specific amount (10% of your income) that you give first, and an offering is anything extra that you give beyond that. After you've tithed and paid all your bills and necessary expenses for the month, you can then use any extra money in your budget to give even more! Dave Ramsey

1 minute ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

Success follows faith. The bearded guy had an even better idea the second day:

A tithe is a specific amount (10% of your income) that you give first, and an offering is anything extra that you give beyond that. After you've tithed and paid all your bills and necessary expenses for the month, you can then use any extra money in your budget to give even more! Dave Ramsey

If you can get people to obey your rules on who they fuck or what they eat, getting their money is easy!

10 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I have seen who is behind it

does that undermine the message?

To an extent, I think it does. I will remain dubious of their motives until the Conway connection is explained.

That Kellyanne has not been fired and publicly excoriated over her connection to George Conway is, I think, telling. Trump is not a subtle thinker, he'll nuke a whole family if one person is mean to him. Do you think a paranoid narcissist like Trump believes in compartmentalization?

So why has this not happened?

8 hours ago, cmilliken said:

Religion and politics start both start with why type questions and then move toward how.  That's why they always tend to overlap 

Not really. Politics is all about taking out the trash and fixing pot holes. Yelling about ideology is not politics, it's how a particular type of politician convinces religious boneheads to vote for him/her despite the fact that they have neither fixed the potholes nor handled the trash.

- DSK

31 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

To an extent, I think it does. I will remain dubious of their motives until the Conway connection is explained.

That Kellyanne has not been fired and publicly excoriated over her connection to George Conway is, I think, telling. Trump is not a subtle thinker, he'll nuke a whole family if one person is mean to him. Do you think a paranoid narcissist like Trump believes in compartmentalization?

Why not happened?

Might it involve a garment and the color blue?

38 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not really. Politics is all about taking out the trash and fixing pot holes. Yelling about ideology is not politics, it's how a particular type of politician convinces religious boneheads to vote for him/her despite the fact that they have neither fixed the potholes nor handled the trash. 

- DSK

To me, organized religion is just another type of body politic.  It's a group of people brought together by a common set of guidelines to achieve a particular goal.

Governments fill potholes.  That's essentially a how.   Raising taxes is a how.  Granting driver's licenses is a how.

Politics is how we organize ourselves and the guidelines we're going to try and follow - be it 'justice', or 'equality' or to whatever we agree.  People don't like the term 'faith' because it has a religious connotation and they hate religion. But what is participation in an election if not 'faith in the system'? 

I agree with Nietzsche.  When you kill God, you have to replace it with something - "Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"  People have to believe is something, even if its as basic as that the laws of physics aren't going to change tomorrow or determinism or whatever.  But we're inevitably going to try and fill that void because there is no great answer to why.  When asked what came before the big bang, Steven Hawking once answered "It doesn't matter".  That may be true but its not very satisfying.

24 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

To me, organized religion is just another type of body politic.  It's a group of people brought together by a common set of guidelines to achieve a particular goal.

Governments fill potholes.  That's essentially a how.   Raising taxes is a how.  Granting driver's licenses is a how.

Politics is how we organize ourselves and the guidelines we're going to try and follow - be it 'justice', or 'equality' or to whatever we agree.  People don't like the term 'faith' because it has a religious connotation and they hate religion. But what is participation in an election if not 'faith in the system'? 

I agree with Nietzsche.  When you kill God, you have to replace it with something - "Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"  People have to believe is something, even if its as basic as that the laws of physics aren't going to change tomorrow or determinism or whatever.  But we're inevitably going to try and fill that void because there is no great answer to why.  When asked what came before the big bang, Steven Hawking once answered "It doesn't matter".  That may be true but its not very satisfying.

Organization is for people who feel the need for it. Nietsche is far too deterministic for my taste. Reality is hella chaotic, not drawable into neat categories.

Hawking wrote some very good stuff, he addressed religion too. IIRC he said something like the aspect of God The Creator is worth considering, and may be true, but we have no way of proving or disproving it so "it doesn't matter." Before the Big Bang our universe did not exist, so the universal constants including light etc etc did not exist, we would have no way of observing or describing or relating to what existed before the Big Bang. It would be so alien as to be completely undescribable.

Man is just a big animal. We fool ourselves into joining organizations because we can get sex and food that way, and it's the behavior modelled for us when we are young and impressionable.

- DSK

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Organization is for people who feel the need for it. Nietsche is far too deterministic for my taste. Reality is hella chaotic, not drawable into neat categories.

Hawking wrote some very good stuff, he addressed religion too. IIRC he said something like the aspect of God The Creator is worth considering, and may be true, but we have no way of proving or disproving it so "it doesn't matter." Before the Big Bang our universe did not exist, so the universal constants including light etc etc did not exist, we would have no way of observing or describing or relating to what existed before the Big Bang. It would be so alien as to be completely undescribable.

Man is just a big animal. We fool ourselves into joining organizations because we can get sex and food that way, and it's the behavior modelled for us when we are young and impressionable.

- DSK

Like a lot of philosophers, Nietsche was better as asking questions than answering them.

Religion and Science both tend to converge at the end - whether it's Aquinas and his 'prime mover' vs Determinism, or the 'God of the Gaps' vs 11 dimensions.  There isn't a good answer to 'why'.

I'm in general agreement that man is a big animal and follows programming and, as Robin Williams put it, has a brain and a penis, but only blood enough for one at a time.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

Like a lot of philosophers, Nietsche was better as asking questions than answering them.

Religion and Science both tend to converge at the end - whether it's Aquinas and his 'prime mover' vs Determinism, or the 'God of the Gaps' vs 11 dimensions.  There isn't a good answer to 'why'.

I'm in general agreement that man is a big animal and follows programming and, as Robin Williams put it, has a brain and a penis, but only blood enough for one at a time.

Eat ... survive ... reproduce.   

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

We all like to be part of Granfalloons.

image.thumb.png.514c8490bb34ec861693105844a57184.png

• Like 1
15 hours ago, cmilliken said:

Science is about factual reality.

Faith is wishful thinking.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The LP folks will have fun with Trump standing in front of the church with the Bible. Trump seemed to think it was his Charlton Heston moment but he has no sense of drama. He looked like someone who was told to stand there with the Bible. He looked like he would have been happier to be on the 15th hole (actually any hole) of one of his courses.

33 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The LP folks will have fun with Trump standing in front of the church with the Bible. Trump seemed to think it was his Charlton Heston moment but he has no sense of drama. He looked like someone who was told to stand there with the Bible. He looked like he would have been happier to be on the 15th hole (actually any hole) of one of his courses.

"Why can't I stand in front of the church holding a Big Mac?"

- DSK

On 5/18/2020 at 4:48 PM, cmilliken said:

When asked what came before the big bang, Steven Hawking once answered "It doesn't matter".  That may be true but its not very satisfying.

I tell myself,“ self,  most people that feel that way don’t seem to have much of a sense of wonder or imagination.“

Is your dog concerned about the beginning? Do they have dog dreams about the horrors that might be after death?

How did you feel before you were a being? If that’s how you feel after death, you won’t be able to be dissapointed, so, is there still a hole? 

this earth has been here 4 billion years, life was on it at least 3.5B years. Every single living organism in the planet is the decendent of that first colony of life, with molecules building blueprints for replication. Is that not wonderous enough?

and you are already impermanent. Every carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atom on the surface and all the trace elements have been used by these beings to replicate their patterns, countless times. You likely don’t have any of the atoms in you that you were born with. Even calcium atoms remove and are replaced in the bones.

there is much to be satisfied with

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

You likely don’t have any of the atoms in you that you were born with.

got plenty of the fokers that I wasn't born with ...

On 5/19/2020 at 9:48 AM, cmilliken said:

People have to believe is something,

Do you use that as an excuse for your irrational beliefs?

3 hours ago, Mid said:

as I said

they get better and better

mind you.... they are kicking at an open goal

D

PS - in the absence of a boat I am making lockdown  films from my bike

this one has no boats in it - it is a message of hope

it has only had 300 hits and already, one comment said  "more of the usual shit from a limey faggot"

He was the same bloke who was making bad comments on films I where I mentioned Trump back in 2017. The MAGA hats really know how to pack a grudge.

• Like 4

I think that putting a lincoln project film at the top  of  a thread means that the magahats will be less inclined to open it

if they are going to  comment they will have to watch the  film it is only  short but watching it might contaminate the perfection of  their view of the world

just  a  thought

D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I tell myself,“ self,  most people that feel that way don’t seem to have much of a sense of wonder or imagination.“

Is your dog concerned about the beginning? Do they have dog dreams about the horrors that might be after death?

How did you feel before you were a being? If that’s how you feel after death, you won’t be able to be dissapointed, so, is there still a hole? 

this earth has been here 4 billion years, life was on it at least 3.5B years. Every single living organism in the planet is the decendent of that first colony of life, with molecules building blueprints for replication. Is that not wonderous enough?

and you are already impermanent. Every carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atom on the surface and all the trace elements have been used by these beings to replicate their patterns, countless times. You likely don’t have any of the atoms in you that you were born with. Even calcium atoms remove and are replaced in the bones.

there is much to be satisfied with

One of my favorite 'huh' monuments is when you realize that every piece of metal you've ever ran into was born from the nova of a star.. and probably predates our solar system by at least the age of the solar system itself.  The fillings in your teeth are the residue of a start the burned through a billion years of fuel and spitting out its guts.  Bill Bryson's "A brief history of everything' includes the analogy that the 'biosphere' of human existence is essentially the thickness of the paint used on a typical globe - that's it. 

The world is an amazing place.

• Like 1

Somehow it's more impactful when a bunch of Republicans gather together to oust a Republican president.

And who better to make these videos?  They are so good at making fear-mongering campaign ads.

I'm loving the short and to the point propaganda pieces.  Very effective for those with low attention span.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

as I said

D

it has only had 300 hits and already, one comment said  "more of the usual shit from a limey faggot"

He was the same bloke who was making bad comments on films I where I mentioned Trump back in 2017. The MAGA hats really know how to pack a grudge.

That’s how they got to be MAGA in the first place. A long standing grudge over an America that only ever existed in their imagination. 

5 hours ago, dylan winter said:

as I said

D

Dylan, did you narrate this? Sounds different from your other videos

Great vid, my wife sat down and watched it with me, one of the very very few times she's even glanced at SA

- DSK

38 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dylan, did you narrate this? Sounds different from your other videos

Great vid, my wife sat down and watched it with me, one of the very very few times she's even glanced at SA

- DSK

thanks

I ran out of resources  to make new sailing films in scotland so am trying something else - I literally got on my bike

it was my voice....used to work on the radio in the UK

D

7 hours ago, dylan winter said:

You has some mad literary and video production skilz. Thank you for that. (The limey faggot label lacks punch. Odd.)

9 hours ago, dylan winter said:

They have a sophisticated wit as well.

3 hours ago, dylan winter said:

thanks

I ran out of resources  to make new sailing films in scotland so am trying something else - I literally got on my bike

D

Man,  after watching that I don't know whether to slit my wrist or plant some flowers!

11 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Put “InfoWars” on the title page. 

I was about to give you a thumbs up but I became very depressed with the fact that you are so sadly correct.

44 minutes ago, Jules said:

So, Dylan, how do we get those who need to see these videos to watch?  And I ask that sincerely.

The truly pro-fascist crowd won't likey see these videos. If they do they will reject them out of hand. That doesn't matter. However there are many people wavering, on the fence. Yes, I agree, unbelievable. I have a friend who had seemed to be a committed Trumpist. He loved something about the pomp and anger. Posted all the idiot BravoBravo-like memes on his FB. Maybe enjoyed standing out a bit in this very much Never Trump area. But not political enough to be a fascist. Not a hater in any unredeemable way. In the last 6 months he has gone from Trumpaloo to an undecided weighting, testing, both sides. He will see these invaluable videos and definitely be brought to sanity.

One at a time...

• Like 1
On 5/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Trump is a subtle thinker, just not in usual way.  Think cracks in law, sex, and custom.  Yep- he’s one of those guys- I’m kind of surprised you haven’t done business with one of those guys (maybe you were just lucky?) They’re everywhere.  Here even.....^_^  It’s why Trump is dangerous.  There are so many willing to cover for him.....

12 hours ago, dylan winter said:

thanks

D

But you don’t have a face made for radio!   Nice.

1 hour ago, Amati said:

Trump is a subtle thinker, just not in usual way.  Think cracks in law, sex, and custom.  Yep- he’s one of those guys- I’m kind of surprised you haven’t done business with one of those guys (maybe you were just lucky?) They’re everywhere.  Here even.....^_^  It’s why Trump is dangerous.  There are so many willing to cover for him.....

What possible reason would I have to do business with a conman like Trump?

We did walk into the Taj Mahal to check out the gaud back in the day, but we didn't play there.

7 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

What possible reason would I have to do business with a conman like Trump?

Bad luck?  Although it sounds like you believe deeply in due diligence."...

On 5/19/2020 at 12:37 AM, SloopJonB said:

Science is about factual reality.

Faith is wishful thinking.

Much of science is not fact based.  Science is based on proving what IS NOT rather than what IS.   

2 minutes ago, Rok Dog said:

Much of science is not fact based.  Science is based on proving what IS NOT rather than what IS.   

Deep. Also very wrong. Why do Republicans hate science?

12 minutes ago, Rok Dog said:

Science is based on proving what IS NOT rather than what IS.   

Garbage.

science is about finding out what is correct

sometimes that means proving what is right

others its proving what we think is right cannot be .. so we need to learn more

science is primarily about learning

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Deep. Also very wrong. Why do Republicans hate science?

I am an engineer and believe in science.  You should do some reading so you understand the scientific method.  

3 hours ago, phill_nz said:

science is about finding out what is correct

sometimes that means proving what is right

others its proving what we think is right cannot be .. so we need to learn more

science is primarily about learning

Incorrect.  Science proves what is wrong.  

S - Systematic and
C - Comprehensive
I - Investigation and
E - Exploration of
N -Nature's
C -Causes and
E -Effect.

11 minutes ago, Mid said:

S - Systematic and
C - Comprehensive
I - Investigation and
E - Exploration of
N -Nature's
C -Causes and
E -Effect.

So I was correct.

33 minutes ago, Rok Dog said:

Incorrect.  Science proves what is wrong.

yehh what would i know

i only worked as one for 20 years

• Like 1
8 hours ago, El Boracho said:

The truly pro-fascist crowd won't likey see these videos. If they do they will reject them out of hand. That doesn't matter. However there are many people wavering, on the fence. Yes, I agree, unbelievable. I have a friend who had seemed to be a committed Trumpist. He loved something about the pomp and anger. Posted all the idiot BravoBravo-like memes on his FB. Maybe enjoyed standing out a bit in this very much Never Trump area. But not political enough to be a fascist. Not a hater in any unredeemable way. In the last 6 months he has gone from Trumpaloo to an undecided weighting, testing, both sides. He will see these invaluable videos and definitely be brought to sanity.

One at a time...

Fingers crossed this will be repeated across the country.

Never in my life have I believed America could so easily succumb to a fascist leader.  Boy, was I wrong.

4 hours ago, Rok Dog said:

You obviously have no technical education.  It’s the first thing they teach you.

in most curriculum the education continues beyond that introduction to the null hypothesis.    

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Jules said:

Let's revisit the past.  Way back to April 23, 2020

The Mussolini stern facial thing  really seals the deal, doesn’t it?  I’m thcared!  :unsure:

4 minutes ago, Venom said:

Do you know propaganda when you see it, Mid?  

Your call fuck head ... good truthful propaganda or fucking relentless lies?

1 hour ago, astro said:

Your call fuck head ... good truthful propaganda or fucking relentless lies?

Those are the only two choices?

Kind of like being forced to choose between Trump vs. Biden.  

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Those are the only two choices?

Kind of like being forced to choose between Trump vs. Biden.  

Well, you could always vote Libertarian -

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Well, you could always vote Libertarian -

That's a good one! :)) Here's some bedtime music for you, Sean.  Off to dreamland..... 

8 hours ago, Venom said:

Do you know propaganda when you see it, Mid?  

Apparently you don't know the difference between propaganda and factual illustration.

Here's a tip - propaganda is lies and distortions.

Fox is propaganda.

they made an underwhelming film about Joni and cstrating hogs

and then came back with three crackers

one on the treasonous nature of the confederate flag as waved by ardent trumpaloes

then came this one about  Trump's dementia problems

and today this one about the racist choice of date and location for the next superspreader rally

all this must be very distressing for the faithful

Dylan

• Like 1
On 5/18/2020 at 6:54 PM, B.J. Porter said:

Kellyanne has a copy of the Soviet pee-pee tapes....??