My wife had an observation:

Widowed people who had a good marriage are more likely to remarry than you expect.  They liked being married and were good at it, and will naturally move that way once they have reconciled with their loss.

• Like 1
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Better..............Day 8. Day 7 was indeed the turning point and things are a little better since. Still minor waves, but the fevers are not as high, not much in the way of chills, still really reall

Hi ya’ll! Day 11. No fever now for pretty close to 3 days. I get winded pretty easy and still a little cough. I’m REALLY fatigued now all day but trying to do a little each day.....a few tasks. Today

Hi all! Wow......thank you so much for the kind thoughts. Proud to be a member of this August group.......although in somebody’s words “I’m not sure I’d join any group willing to have me as a member”.

Posted Images

Good to hear you're mending PB, keep it up.  And thanks for the clarification re Mrs PB - I know I was confused, but as someone (Ed?) said, it's awkward asking ...:P

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

Better..............Day 8. Day 7 was indeed the turning point and things are a little better since. Still minor waves, but the fevers are not as high, not much in the way of chills, still really really tired but appetite improving. A little cough still. No shortness of breath except for a minute or so climbing the stairs or similar exertion and its not really short of breath, just winded. Sweaty nights still......yep but not as bad. Sat in the sun for a while this morning just marveling at how wonderful it is just to be outside and alive........I've felt that way on several occasions before. I'm optimistic as hell right now. I'm winning. Amazing what a turn Day 7 was.....exactly what they predicted. They said if its COVID, its typical that on day 7 you either start your recovery and things go south fast.....only your immune system knows. COVID test results will take another day or two depending on how busy the lab is. I'm not sure what I hope for as a result. Negative = in the 15% false negative band or WTF was it then? Positive = well I got through even a moderate case at home and now may have antibodies. I do worry about my wife who has been caring for me if I am positive and will be on edge watching her every cough for the next several weeks.

That does bring up something I should mention/explain so as not to be confusing. As many of ya'll may remember, in 2017 after 28 years of wonderful marriage ending with two years of her fighting a blood disease my wife passed away. Never thought and never tried to find any dating relationship. Several years later a woman at pickleball said "hey, I know a woman  lives nearby who also lost her husband of 30years under similar circumstances several years ago. I think you two would hit it off. Would you like to be introduced to play pickleball sometime?" I thought for minute and said "I guess". I really wasn't interested but thought a woman to meet for pickleball and an occasional glass of wine might be nice. Several months later we did have coffee and then pickleball followed by dinner. Well.................we both were immediately stricken, fell in love and were married late last year. Neither one us dated after our spouses passed and neither were "looking"......just an immediate connection. Having been in love in happy marriages before and in our 60's we didn't have to sort through all the shit younger people do.............we recognized it again.

Who gets two chances??!!! Thank you stars......................and all of you for your concern and the expressions of concern. Neither was meaningless. When this shitstorm of a global pandemic is over I'll hopefully get to actually meet some of you. 

Glad you're feeling better.

This post is news to me

Sorry to hear about the first, happy to hear about the second.

Judging by the reaction to you by the those here, there was no way someone else was going to let you slip through their fingers. I expect she doesn't know about the moustache pictures, though?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Judging by the reaction to you by the those here

Dose she no abote us?  The holle SA thinge?                                                                                         :)

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Dose she no abote us?  The holle SA thinge?                                                                                         :)

perhaps it's PBs dirty little secret.

• Like 1

Aw geez, let's not mess this up for the guy  :o

There practically newlyweds.

He's only here because he's infectious....

There's a shitload of thanks goodness going on at this end, PB, for the encouraging news of your recovery and the (for us in general) news that life moves forward and all is not lost.

I hope someday to shake your hand, but please, don't make me paddle out on a SUP with ya to prove our friendship, ya old  custodian. ( Or is it janitor?  I'm totally lost at proper insulting thesedays!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

- Likely PB quote.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, hobot said:
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

- Likely PB quote.

:)

9 hours ago, Point Break said:

Thanks ED. Its wonderful..............Oh Pickleball...............link below. its pretty straight forward. All you need to know is you cannot step into the light blue section on either side of the net except under certain circumstances. Mrs PB (who is a HELL of an athlete - college gymnast, Phys Ed Major, superb ski, golf....its amazing, all 100 pounds of her:lol:) and I are a pretty darn good doubles team.

Thanks for the explanation.  Pickleball is something I have never seen or heard of before.

I like Sloop's explanation.

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Think tennis - but for old farts. :D

4 hours ago, DtM said:

Write the damn book and then you can go on a world book signing tour and meet everyone !!!!!

Yeah, including the left coast of Oz.

Awesome news to hear that you're hopefully turning the corner PB.

Maybe you and LB can compare Covid-19 stories,  although he didn't get it anywhere near as bad as you  in fact I'm fairly sure he was never a confirmed case...paging @LB 15 for confirmation 

28 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Maybe you and LB can compare Covid-19 stories,  although he didn't get it anywhere near as bad as you 

LB's full of shit, I think he had the man flu. 

PB is telling us how it is, we can trust him.

3 hours ago, astro said:

I don't think he'll bite on that bait Astro but i guess you can try.

19 hours ago, Point Break said:

Better..............Day 8. Day 7 was indeed the turning point and things are a little better since. Still minor waves, but the fevers are not as high, not much in the way of chills, still really really tired but appetite improving. A little cough still. No shortness of breath except for a minute or so climbing the stairs or similar exertion and its not really short of breath, just winded. Sweaty nights still......yep but not as bad. Sat in the sun for a while this morning just marveling at how wonderful it is just to be outside and alive........I've felt that way on several occasions before. I'm optimistic as hell right now. I'm winning. Amazing what a turn Day 7 was.....exactly what they predicted. They said if its COVID, its typical that on day 7 you either start your recovery and things go south fast.....only your immune system knows. COVID test results will take another day or two depending on how busy the lab is. I'm not sure what I hope for as a result. Negative = in the 15% false negative band or WTF was it then? Positive = well I got through even a moderate case at home and now may have antibodies. I do worry about my wife who has been caring for me if I am positive and will be on edge watching her every cough for the next several weeks.

That does bring up something I should mention/explain so as not to be confusing. As many of ya'll may remember, in 2017 after 28 years of wonderful marriage ending with two years of her fighting a blood disease my wife passed away. Never thought and never tried to find any dating relationship. Several years later a woman at pickleball said "hey, I know a woman  lives nearby who also lost her husband of 30years under similar circumstances several years ago. I think you two would hit it off. Would you like to be introduced to play pickleball sometime?" I thought for minute and said "I guess". I really wasn't interested but thought a woman to meet for pickleball and an occasional glass of wine might be nice. Several months later we did have coffee and then pickleball followed by dinner. Well.................we both were immediately stricken, fell in love and were married late last year. Neither one us dated after our spouses passed and neither were "looking"......just an immediate connection. Having been in love in happy marriages before and in our 60's we didn't have to sort through all the shit younger people do.............we recognized it again.

Who gets two chances??!!! Thank you stars......................and all of you for your concern and the expressions of concern. Neither was meaningless. When this shitstorm of a global pandemic is over I'll hopefully get to actually meet some of you. 

hot damn.  good news all around. 

19 hours ago, Point Break said:

Great news, on both fronts.

And thanks for the invite. We've all been hanging around out here on the path, the cops keep moving us on and there's a suspicious looking character in a raincoat eyeing us up so we'll be in shortly to wash our hands before dinner. Prepare Mrs PB.

Keep minding yourself.

21 hours ago, chinabald said:

I’m sure this group has a few Driveway Drinkers. 

That was a standard summer sport where I grew up (WI).  Knew several friends' dads who, after dinner, would park the lawn chairs in the driveway, pull out the wee cooler, and quaff a few beers and shoot the shit with the neighbors.  Every night.  It can be right sociable & genteel.

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

That was a standard summer sport where I grew up (WI).  Knew several friends' dads who, after dinner, would park the lawn chairs in the driveway, pull out the wee cooler, and quaff a few beers and shoot the shit with the neighbors.  Every night.  It can be right sociable & genteel.

That's back when people interacted with and knew their neighbors. Doing some of this again has been a nice positive from all this stay at home shit. My wife invited 5 couples from our street to join us a few weeks ago  Beverages were on a table in the middle. Downright fun, and the first chance some had to meet each each other.

12 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

That's back when people interacted with and knew their neighbors. Doing some of this again has been a nice positive from all this stay at home shit. My wife invited 5 couples from our street to join us a few weeks ago  Beverages were on a table in the middle. Downright fun, and the first chance some had to meet each each other.

The house in which I raised my children had a large front porch.  The neighbors did too.  It was common to have drinks together after work.

The lobby in my condo (converted from an office building) is a nice place to sit, share wine and look out over the city.

My neighbor has been in the building since the conversion twenty years ago.  Back then everyone left their door open.  She misses those days.

That's the best news I've heard all day.  Go the PB!

And congrats on the marriage!  It's nice to hear good things happening to good folks.  Not enough of that in this current dark time.  

On 5/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, Ed Lada said:

By the way, what the hell is pickleball?  I guess I've been out of the country too long.

What sloop Jon said :lol:.  I haven’t given in and turned in my tennis racquet for pickle ball paddles, although the wife and her parents play a lot. 

PB, get better mate. Glad to hear you’re on the upward trend. 

On 5/21/2020 at 8:51 PM, B.J. Porter said:

It would have been very tasteful.

Have things changed that much since I've been gone?!

PB, I'm astounded your test results are taking so long. Here in NE Nigeria they're working 24/7 at the labs and results generally within 24hr. 36 max. 

Glad to hear you're feeling some improvement. Please hold that course. 

Congratulations to you and the Mrs for carping the diem ;) Lots more to look forward to. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Yeah, including the left coast of Oz.

Awesome news to hear that you're hopefully turning the corner PB.

Maybe you and LB can compare Covid-19 stories,  although he didn't get it anywhere near as bad as you  in fact I'm fairly sure he was never a confirmed case...paging @LB 15 for confirmation 

No still awaiting the antibody test. But as Billy Joel sang- only the good die young. I will be wrong for a while yet. Glad you are on the mend PB. Sounds like you went down harder than me which is odd as I am sure you are healthier.

19 hours ago, astro said:

Northern Italian man flu. Random just wanted to finish me off with his fence palling.

15 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Northern Italian man flu. Random just wanted to finish me off with his fence palling.

Rotten fence post.

I have one ready, but you would have to pretend to be a kangaroo with a fractured pelvis.

edit: any lingering effects of the man flu?

22 minutes ago, astro said:

Rotten fence post.

I have one ready, but you would have to pretend to be a kangaroo with a fractured pelvis.

edit: any lingering effects of the man flu?

Still have a kind of bronchitis that comes and goes that I can’t shift. Took about 3 weeks to shake the real tiredness. But if I had it ( and my doctor thinks I did)- I got off pretty lightly for a 60 year old that has treated his body more like a theme park than a temple in his youth.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, Rasputin22 said:

These symptoms sound more like dengue fever to me. I got infected living on a boat in the Caribbean where it is called 'breakbone fever'. I occasionally still have brief bouts with it but thankfully not in a while. The strange thing is that my skin gets ultra sensitive to currents of air and I have to cover completely up in bed and get the worst chills. I start shivering and feel like I am freezing to death and put my head under the covers to try and warm myself. If someone so much as sits on the edge of the bed, the air currents that stirs up are torture. The first time my GF witnessed my shaking and shivering she thought I was having an epileptic fit! A stranger coming across me in such throes certainly would think so. I have to lie totally still with my whole body tensed up and can finally get the situation under control but then I will go through an equally but longer stretch of sweats like you are describing. 

Like the old timers say in the Islands, 'dengue won't kill you, but you wish it would!!!'

Hang tough dude! 

I just looked this up from the WHO, but what do they know?

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/dengue-and-severe-dengue

Raspy,   you might be interested in this

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced today the approval of Dengvaxia, the first vaccine approved for the prevention of dengue disease caused by all dengue virus serotypes (1, 2, 3 and 4) in people ages 9 through 16 who have laboratory-confirmed previous dengue infection and who live in endemic areas. Dengue is endemic in the U.S. territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/first-fda-approved-vaccine-prevention-dengue-disease-endemic-regions

Thanks Dreade,

That is pretty sobering stuff and I'm not sure the vaccine is something I would want to have to rely on being a live vaccine...

I've had my share of torture from that stuff and hope I never have to suffer it again. Sounds so much like the COVID in terms of symptoms and the 'second wave' infection after you barely notice the initial one. If that is what COVID has in store for the 'second wave' we are fucked! I'm sure that Dengue is being closely looked at by the 'tists' just for that reason. 

Nasty shit all of it. Locusts are next!

59 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Thanks Dreade,

That is pretty sobering stuff and I'm not sure the vaccine is something I would want to have to rely on being a live vaccine...

I've had my share of torture from that stuff and hope I never have to suffer it again. Sounds so much like the COVID in terms of symptoms and the 'second wave' infection after you barely notice the initial one. If that is what COVID has in store for the 'second wave' we are fucked! I'm sure that Dengue is being closely looked at by the 'tists' just for that reason. 

Nasty shit all of it. Locusts are next!

They've already had them in Somalia or wherever it is they get them over there.

56 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They've already had them in Somalia or wherever it is they get them over there.

Apologies for the thread drift, however they're heading for Iran atm. Not looking good for the mullahs

Well………I'm 9? maybe 10? days in………..I’ve learned a lot the last couple days and I’ve not exactly been not researching COVID and the immune response etc all along even before I became ill. Standby for a lengthy overview that is hopefully informative. If you don’t want to read it, the summary is I almost certainly have/had COVID but am now improving quickly and feel pretty good…..just really tire easily. If you just want an update, thats it, you can skip the rest and thank you so much for all the concern and expressions of hope for a recovery. It shall not be forgotten. Now for the curious.

So the COVID test came back negative. Doc said………I’m not sure I believe that, lets get a chest Xray. He initially wanted to do a chest Xray along with the COVID test and I declined, preferring the drive through testing available and avoiding the office for the Xray and any sick people. Protects me, other patients and the staff. Now with a negative test and the symptoms so severe he said lets get the Xray. Xray comes back with clear lungs and a little something behind the heart but its obscured from the view. OH my, now let’s get a stat CT. Oh.....that sounds ominous  So we schedule a CT next day. I’m getting a little better by now….not good but better……so the CT is the next day. Meantime I look up a lot more on the testing and X-rays for COVID. A couple things I learn.

1. Only a couple “types” of test. The most common and accurate in the lab (and the one I had) is the RT-PCR test. The method of gathering may be deep nasal swab, throat swab, sputum………basically thats simply the sample gathering method then the lab test is the same.....and of course there are different labs. That test was 100% accurate in initial research - meaning no false positive or negatives - in laboratory testing. However real world numbers are different. Anywhere from @35 to 20% false negatives have been reported. However........almost all false negatives are the result of incorrect collection technique or improper handling of specimens afterwards. The proper nasal swab (which I had) requires deep swab at least 6” in most folks and a twirl rub for 10-15 seconds to collect enough specimen. Then down the other side same swab, same thing. Mine was one side for about 5 seconds total. Hmmmmmmmmm
  2. Next in any pneumonia not just COVID infection approximately 60% of patients presenting with significant clinical signs of pneumonia return a clear chest Xray. In those cases with strong suspicions and a clear Xray, a CT followup is strongly recommended.

So….....I have the CT……results are multiple consolidations, nodules and glass like opacities in the lower left and upper right lungs. Classic COVID result. Likely I have/had COVID and also likely have developed a secondary lung infection that could be bacterial or viral. Matches some of the GI stuff that has accompanied this whole journey. So since I’m improving the decision is start a Z-Pac antibiotic and continue to rest. Do not go out until the symptoms have fully concluded for at least 72 hours. Then schedule a followup with a pulmonologist on the lung issues to make sure the consolidations resolve and the lung tissue improves. There is also the chance some of the lung “damage” may be permanent. Time and good followup will tell once the COVID is gone and is therefore prudent.

So….I am getting better and I gained even more insight into the multiple manifestations of COVID. Also understand more about why persons without positive tests right away who quickly pass away may correctly be classified as COVID caused. Biology is not always as cut and dry as we might want.

Link below to a very good, short, layperson level article on testing.

Thanks again everyone!!

https://www.popsci.com/story/science/covid-test-inaccuracies/

• Like 12

PB..  Thanks for the update!!  Glad to hear you are on the mend!!  Sound like you are one of the many had false negative tests?  Thanks for detailed Covid info!!

I don’t think the permanent damage post covid is well discussed.  I wonder if the media got enough traction on this topic the public reaction may have been different.  

good news PB.  I hope mrs PB stays healthy.  

PB that's great - thank you for the update, and for the detail. 

I'm glad they got you on a Z-Pak to boost you through this part. 

glass like opacities in the lower left and upper right lungs.

:o

Sounds horrific - is that permanent?

Glad you're on the mend.

And by the way, if you are fit enough to write posts as lengthy as that then you're fit enough to get started on that fuckin' book for us. ;)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Windward said:

I don’t think the permanent damage post covid is well discussed.  I wonder if the media got enough traction on this topic the public reaction may have been different.  

good news PB.  I hope mrs PB stays healthy.  

In my opinion very little about it is well-discussed, and that's because they're all just figuring it out as they go.  The great thing is, all countries are sharing information.  The crappy thing is, all countries are sharing information because it leads to conflicting opinions, and to some national flip-flops, which lead to community distrust. 

The thing is, the authorities can't give advice until they know it, and it all takes time to research, document, and share.  Same, IMHO, with the symptoms - here at least they're still saying fever, cough, difficulty breathing  ... but there are so many other symptoms that have been detected, that may or may not accompany these 'standard three'.

PB - the nasal swab is the hardest to get right - very few get high enough, and twizzle for 15-20 seconds. One of mine stopped at my bridge - I told him to redo it.  I wonder how many false negatives are walking around as a result of this.   

• Like 1

Late to this thread, get well PB, both shocking and informative from the front line, yep I think there is a book in there somewhere..........start with a good working title, something like "Bastards I once knew....":D

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, astro said:

My sons flatmate in Milan went down hard with it. Induced coma, on a respirator two weeks in ICU the whole 9 yards. Nearly turned his toes up. Roco is a 26 year old super-man fit neo pro cyclist. Weirdly he did smoke the odd lung buster. He still has CFS like symptoms 2 months later. He cooked dinner for us about 8 days before I started feeling sick so I think that is were we got it. He didn’t start showing symptoms until a few weeks later. Covid is a tricky little bitch. 

6 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

This is the PB thread, did you get lost? There are a number of covid threads. Thanks, Miss Management.

and PB and others are talking about post infection complications.

So am I.

1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:

Late to this thread, get well PB, both shocking and informative from the front line, yep I think there is a book in there somewhere..........start with a good working title, something like "Bastards I once knew....":D

"America's Dumbest Victims"

"Hold My Beer And Watch This"

"You Might Feel A Little Discomfort"

"OOOHHH That Looks Nasty - I'll Bet That Really Hurts" (Actually said by an ER doctor to a friend of mine after going off a dirt bike on a gravel road)

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

glass like opacities in the lower left and upper right lungs.

:o

Sounds horrific - is that permanent?

Believe the term is ground glass opacities. It’s non-specific

19 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No still awaiting the antibody test. But as Billy Joel sang- only the good die young. I will be wrong for a while yet. Glad you are on the mend PB. Sounds like you went down harder than me which is odd as I am sure you are healthier.

Can you get private antibody tests yet?  Apparently they are available in the UK, of what reliability? I’m not sure......but I’m toying with the idea having had something very similar, only back in January. 

There seems to be an increasing number that think they’ve had it earlier than first reported or identified.

PB, great news to hear you’re getting through this!  

Did they test for the antibodys as well?  

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

Is this the driveway drinkers thread? check out the shirt. Here is a prime example of a Trumpkin-no-mask-wearing-can't-drive-with-a-DUI-buddy of mine, and yes, I'll be walking home. 

driveway.jpg

Does he play a mean guitar? I got a buddy that is a doppleganger of him. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue Crab said:

Is this the driveway drinkers thread? check out the shirt. Here is a prime example of a Trumpkin-no-mask-wearing-can't-drive-with-a-DUI-buddy of mine, and yes, I'll be walking home. 

driveway.jpg

IMG_20180127_134304173_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

I freaked out when I hear a pulmonary doc use this term when my Mom and I were reviewing the results of a week long battery of lung tests at Denver National Jewish Hospital a couple of years ago. My Mom has had a terrible history of pneumonia infections going back decades and we went to NJH to try and see what was really the source. The specialists there are among the best in respiratory research in the country if not the world and they put her through more tests and analysis in one week than she could have gotten in months back home in Atlanta. One stop shopping at its finest. So we were being shown her X-rays and CT scans and the radiologist used that 'glass' term and she and I looked at each other like 'WTF?'

Here is a description of the term and there is no actual glass in the lungs involved.

What does ground glass opacities in lungs mean?
Ground-glass opacity (GGO) is a radiological term indicating an area of hazy increased lung opacity through which vessels and bronchial structures may still be seen. It is less opaque than consolidation, in which such structures are obscured 1.

I bet NJH is on the front lines with the COVID situation. I was supposed to take Mom back for a follow up this spring but the Quarantine took care of that.

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Yes, it’s a finding in other conditions as well but quite common with COVID infections. Taken in the aggregate of symptoms and other findings is the diagnostic decision. 

No guitar. My guy is 20 years younger. Interesting dude. Crap education in the South. Trailer park. King of all trades. The whole enchilada but brighter than most by far. Ya wouldn't want to play Trivia with him. Probably poker too. A natural intellect beyond the pale. Must remember everything he reads or sees. Sense of humor. A wonderful dude across the bar. 

Probably hit lefty if he'd bother to research it but he won't. He's all about draining dat swamp. Still, he's the guy you want with you in the parking lot fight. You can guess how I know.

Apologies for the off road notes.

5 hours ago, mad said:

Can you get private antibody tests yet?  Apparently they are available in the UK, of what reliability? I’m not sure......but I’m toying with the idea having had something very similar, only back in January. 

There seems to be an increasing number that think they’ve had it earlier than first reported or identified.

Hoping of the best for PB as well.  I am a bit cranky today = witness my earlier rant, I think any SA'ers could and should be included here as we are a community. As to testing - I just read that a woman who attended the Houston Rockets game on Jan 31 has tested positive - this is much earlier than any previously known infection, with such a high percentage that are only asymptomatic you could find that you were indeed exposed much earlier than previously thought. In your case exposed and recovered is good.  The antibody tests don't appear to be all that reliable yet but hopefully that is now improving.

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

As to testing - I just read that a woman who attended the Houston Rockets game on Jan 31 has tested positive

What?  This is a confusing statement to make... when was she tested, what did she do between the game and being tested. Unless she has done nothing other than sit at home (with her cats) would something on Jan 31 be important? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rushman said:
3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

As to testing - I just read that a woman who attended the Houston Rockets game on Jan 31 has tested positive

What?  This is a confusing statement to make... when was she tested, what did she do between the game and being tested. Unless she has done nothing other than sit at home (with her cats) would something on Jan 31 be important? 

Mabey it wase the cats; https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0422-covid-19-cats-NYC.html

On 5/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, LB 15 said:

But as Billy Joel sang- only the good die young.

You may be right, but this thread needs some music.  PB would have to like this one.

Edit: good earphones and turn it up.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Rushman said:

Here is the link to the story https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/05/21/houston-woman-may-have-contracted-coronavirus-nearly-a-month-before-the-first-confirmed-case/

This is not officially verified but hard to understand why someone would make this up - testing has been really scarce in this area until very recently unless you were really sick - in February it didn't exist. What is important? She would be the 1st case in the area a month before previously thought.  Hope that helps.

@Point Break, so glad to hear you're on the mend.  It's really disappointing to hear about your test experience, but it definitely sounds like you have The Sickness.  And thanks for the informative deep dive info.  Good stuff.  Take care of yourself and your new bride. 

Oh and tell her to nag you everyday to sit down and write that freakin' book!  :D

• Like 1
On 5/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, mad said:

I am not sure about the private antibody tests. My Doc just said they weren't available yet. I suspect it is our state chief medical officer not wanting any more infections added to her score. There is a major dick swinging contest going on between the states about who has the least number of infections and who can come up with the stupidest restrictions. QLD have taken the lead for us in the charter industry. We can not let our customers (single households for now) sleep on the boats - even tied up in a Marina. Yet a boat being used as a Airbnb can. It doesn't help that our CMO is on a power trip and when questioned she just digs her heals in harder. She is the one who admitted to closing the schools not based on any medical grounds but to 'demonstrate to the public how seriously they should take it'. When questioned on the medical reasons for keeping the state border shut when the Commonwealth CMO has said there are none she got very defensive and said 'she' will open the boarder when 'she' is ready. She thinks this is now all about her - not commonsense, Health or the economy. 

An antibody test will simply show how wrong her modeling was and so she doesn't want to know just how widespread the virus actually is.

8 hours ago, Burning Man said:

@Point Break, so glad to hear you're on the mend.  It's really disappointing to hear about your test experience, but it definitely sounds like you have The Sickness.  And thanks for the informative deep dive info.  Good stuff.  Take care of yourself and your new bride. 

Oh and tell her to nag you everyday to sit down and write that freakin' book!  :D

Ditto on that!!  With modern tech, it's relatively easy, and inexpensive, to publish a short run, to test the waters.  And, I think that most of us here would buy out the First Edition..

Hi ya’ll! Day 11. No fever now for pretty close to 3 days. I get winded pretty easy and still a little cough. I’m REALLY fatigued now all day but trying to do a little each day.....a few tasks. Today was garage reorganization but I did a lot of sitting and sorting. Mrs PB is my angel and watches over me like a hawk. Balancing activity with rest is a little hard to calibrate. I have this notion I gotta keep moving as much as possible without overdoing it. Lungs are definitely compromised. It’s a marathon now....... 

• Like 25
1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

when are you going to post the good music?

Your turn.

15 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Here is the link to the story https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/05/21/houston-woman-may-have-contracted-coronavirus-nearly-a-month-before-the-first-confirmed-case/

This is not officially verified but hard to understand why someone would make this up - testing has been really scarce in this area until very recently unless you were really sick - in February it didn't exist. What is important? She would be the 1st case in the area a month before previously thought.  Hope that helps.

Thanks.. the link helps.  The comments are hilarious!

Jeebus PB!  I take my eyes off you for a couple of weeks...

Relieved you are feeling better, but concerned about the lung fuckery.  I'll send along the best vibes I can for a complete recovery.  I can't believe I missed this whole saga to date, but it is spring in the boatyard and it's kicking my ass (again), so all I do is work, eat and sleep.

Please take care, but it sounds like you've got it pretty well sussed.  No surprise there.

• Like 1