Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Give the last 2 weeks, it’s good to see you talking about a lot of work. 
 

Thank you. I am so happy to be vertical much of the day and not feel so unbelievably bad that even garage Work is exhilarating and even joyful.!

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Better..............Day 8. Day 7 was indeed the turning point and things are a little better since. Still minor waves, but the fevers are not as high, not much in the way of chills, still really reall

Hi ya’ll! Day 11. No fever now for pretty close to 3 days. I get winded pretty easy and still a little cough. I’m REALLY fatigued now all day but trying to do a little each day.....a few tasks. Today

Hi all! Wow......thank you so much for the kind thoughts. Proud to be a member of this August group.......although in somebody’s words “I’m not sure I’d join any group willing to have me as a member”.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Thank you. I am so happy to be vertical much of the day and not feel so unbelievably bad that even garage Work is exhilarating and even joyful.!

I read an article in the nytimes today - exercising post virus (or something) - where leading sports pulmonologists and cardiologists are interviewed.  my read was they are concerned of effects on the heart moreso than lungs, but it's a new and unconfirmed concern.

basically go slow and watch your symptoms.  maybe get a heart monitor, fitbit or the like.

good luck and be safe

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hermetic said:

 maybe get a heart monitor, fitbit or the like.

good luck and be safe

I vote for that - i don't have one but my better half does (2nd go round) and they seem to be much better and affordable now. 

And good morning PB, time for our daily advisory and update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I vote for that - i don't have one but my better half does (2nd go round) and they seem to be much better and affordable now. 

And good morning PB, time for our daily advisory and update.

Good morning. Feeling so much better. No fever for days, other than a little lingering cough which lessens each day I have no real remaining symptoms. Fatigue continues to be the greatest obstacle and balancing improving my lung status with over exerting will be the greatest issue going forward. Not a bad problem to have given the possible spectrum of post infection issues. Still not sure if any problems are permanent, for some reason I think (perhaps just hope) there isn't any and simply increasing activity/workouts carefully will get me there. Rode 10 miles yesterday albeit slowly. Finished a antibiotic (Z-Pak) course which seems to be a common approach to address any bacterial co-infections. 

Looking forward to antibody testing although I read this morning that concerns are growing that those tests are beginning to show as much as a 50% error rate!! Plan to hunt down any data about that later this week. I guess we'll see.

Mrs PB still shows no symptoms.....my greatest fear.

All in all........................feeling pretty lucky.

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are doing well!

Mrs PB might get an antibody test, too, if there is a safe and convenient way to do that. She might have been asymptomatic and have lots antibodies, not a bad thing. 

I will eventually get one to see what my Feb illness was, doc has them but I don't want to go to that building.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah..............not thrilled about the error rates. But..........it is what it is. Science/medicine can only move so quickly. Uncharted territory. So....................."adjust, adapt, overcome". No other choices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DtM said:

Keep up the recovery PB. But please take your time on the exercise. You could go backwards really fast.

I can be..................determined (Mrs PB calls it stubborn), but I absolutely do not want to endure that again so I am being careful and trying to listen to the body......as it were..........and Mrs PB. :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

I can be..................determined (Mrs PB calls it stubborn), but I absolutely do not want to endure that again so I am being careful and trying to listen to the body......as it were..........and Mrs PB. :lol:

You?  Stubborn?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Innocent Bystander said:
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

I can be..................determined (Mrs PB calls it stubborn), but I absolutely do not want to endure that again so I am being careful and trying to listen to the body......as it were..........and Mrs PB. :lol:

You?  Stubborn?  

Whooda thouht?                                           :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Point Break said:

Mrs PB still shows no symptoms.....my greatest fear.

That is great news.  I was worried about that given the high infection rates.  Given she was your primary caregiver, could she not also go get tested now to verify her status?  I would think knowing one way or the other would not only relieve any anxiety, but also allow you both to better prepare if it came back positive.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Point Break said:

Good morning. Feeling so much better. <snip>

Mrs PB still shows no symptoms.....my greatest fear.

All in all........................feeling pretty lucky.

Great news PB, keep up the recovery - at a controlled rate.  Hopefully Mrs PB avoids the symptoms.

Cheers

R

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Burning Man said:

That is great news.  I was worried about that given the high infection rates.  Given she was your primary caregiver, could she not also go get tested now to verify her status?  I would think knowing one way or the other would not only relieve any anxiety, but also allow you both to better prepare if it came back positive.  

Yes, we will but given the recent information on the reliability of the antibody tests we will still question the results. I guess it’s another piece of information though. We’ll probably try the serial testing mentioned in the article above. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Yes, we will but given the recent information on the reliability of the antibody tests we will still question the results. I guess it’s another piece of information though. We’ll probably try the serial testing mentioned in the article above. 

Serial testing? Like cereal killer?

cereal-killer-.jpg.56296295dcac5ecbb5458a6176e9eaf1.jpg

 

cereal-killer-.jpg.webp

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 10:26 AM, d'ranger said:

I vote for that - i don't have one but my better half does (2nd go round) and they seem to be much better and affordable now. 

And good morning PB, time for our daily advisory and update.

Wife and son both have these

https://www.whoop.com/

The data and interface both seem much more comprehensive than anything else I have looked at. Free, but you pay a monthly membership fee which covers the analytics of the data your device generates. 

Just and FYI for the folks here, I don't have one as I am already well aware of my lack of fitness :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Point Break said:

I can be..................determined (Mrs PB calls it stubborn), but I absolutely do not want to endure that again so I am being careful and trying to listen to the body......as it were..........and Mrs PB. :lol:

Welcome to the club PB! Glad to have you!2B4DBADB-9F1F-4673-B970-0F96140379E3.jpeg.6c5b8e0f634df1f36052e84372a2140c.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Point Break said:

Yes, we will but given the recent information on the reliability of the antibody tests we will still question the results. I guess it’s another piece of information though. We’ll probably try the serial testing mentioned in the article above. 

Great to keep getting positive updates.

I'm curious why antibody tests. You'd want the swab test, no, to determine if she *has* it not had it; my understanding being that antibody tests are for after-the-fact (I may be mistaken)

Keep up the good progress!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
On 5/25/2020 at 1:29 PM, astro said:

Your turn.

this isn't a thread about music...

I don't understand, since when have SA threads stayed on topic?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing excellent! Have only two lingering “symptoms”. Fatigue which is slowly getting better, and a lung “oddness”. I really don’t have a good adjective for it......heaviness on a deep breath.....a fullness feeling....an impression that after I take a full deep breath It just isn’t as “full” as I expect. I’m not short of breath.....it’s just odd. But overall......I’m one lucky SOB! The best thing is Mrs PB is still without symptoms. So hope she escapes the journey.

 
Anyway, thanks so much for asking. You guys (and gals) are the best!

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Point Break said:

Doing excellent! Have only two lingering “symptoms”. Fatigue which is slowly getting better, and a lung “oddness”. I really don’t have a good adjective for it......heaviness on a deep breath.....a fullness feeling....an impression that after I take a full deep breath It just isn’t as “full” as I expect. I’m not short of breath.....it’s just odd. But overall......I’m one lucky SOB! The best thing is Mrs PB is still without symptoms. So hope she escapes the journey.

 
Anyway, thanks so much for asking. You guys (and gals) are the best!

Did you ever lose your sense of smell?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pbd said:

Did you ever lose your sense of smell?

No that was not one of my symptoms. A very close friend of mine (ER Doc) had a much.....much.....milder course. His was mostly extreme fatigue and low grade fever. Interesting that he is black and there is a disparity in the number of severe courses and outcomes among blacks compared to other racial groups. It will be interesting to see how that sorts out once we understand the virus better. He was/is in pretty darn good shape though and eats pretty healthy etc.

Anyway, he said that at about day 7 he suddenly lost both taste and smell. It persisted for a couple days and then slowly returned over about another week. really upset him when it happened. That was never one of my symptoms though and I'm on day 17 I think...maybe 18. I'd trade it for some of the ones I had though. :wacko:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Point Break said:

No that was not one of my symptoms. A very close friend of mine (ER Doc) had a much.....much.....milder course. His was mostly extreme fatigue and low grade fever. Interesting that he is black and there is a disparity in the number of severe courses and outcomes among blacks compared to other racial groups. It will be interesting to see how that sorts out once we understand the virus better. He was/is in pretty darn good shape though and eats pretty healthy etc.

Anyway, he said that at about day 7 he suddenly lost both taste and smell. It persisted for a couple days and then slowly returned over about another week. really upset him when it happened. That was never one of my symptoms though and I'm on day 17 I think...maybe 18. I'd trade it for some of the ones I had though. :wacko:

We’re just glad you still have a body temperature!  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, silent bob said:

We’re just glad you still have a body temperature!  

 

22 minutes ago, Point Break said:

:lol:

me too!

I have to remind SWMBO’s mom: High Blood Pressure is better than No Blood Pressure!  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HILLY said:

P.B. to your breathing "oddness", have you tried any of the Wim Hof breathing exercises?  Maybe worth having a look at, I don't think you need to do the extreme cold stuff....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wim+hof+breathing+tutorial

 

I’ll take a look thank you. I do deep breathing and hold practice and the bike rides help.....I think. I did my first session back with the TRX and resistance bands yesterday. Light set with fewer sets In the morning sun and it felt good. I think the key is to stay active and encourage the reabsorption of the consolidations. I read a small study that did serial chest CT’s of a small number of confirmed COVID survivors. The lung lesions did not start to reabsorb till around 14 days from first symptoms. They only followed them for 26 days so there was no long term data on damage or how long it took to completely resolve but I thought it set a pretty good benchmark for my expectations. Also those patients were all hospitalized so they had more severe disease than I did. I’m at 18 days I think. So I’ll keep carefully pushing. Mrs PB is watching me like a hawk so I’ll get plenty of feedback on overdoing. :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

By any chance do you have an incentive spirometer lying around?  They are useful after pulmonary embolisms and pneumonia, might be useful for post covid. Ask your doctor.

https://www.healthline.com/health/incentive-spirometer

Yep I do. Been using it. Hate it. That damn ball has a mind of its own!  :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

OK, so unless you are occupied in one of the protest demonstrations it's time for our daily update.  Thanks In Advance.

 

9 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Plesae do notte pesstere d'patiente                                                :)

No bother! :lol:

A bit tired but no resumption of symptoms. Really happy about that!! 

Mrs PB is still symptom free. 

We have a 5:30 tee time for 9 holes only using a cart. So..........we'll see how that goes. If I can't get through all 9 that'll be fine. All in the effort to try to normalize the physical activities slowly. The course is very careful about physical distancing and its just the two of us with that tee time so no chance of exposures. In theory I am no longer contagious as I am 8 or 9 days after the fever stopped. The recommendation is 72 hours is sufficient. Still, it's really important to us to not expose anyone else till we're so absolutely sure......we know so little about this virus yet that we are both still adhering to the physical distancing and wearing masks but I am venturing out carefully on walks, bike rides and now a bit of golf just the two of us. Pools may open soon but I don't think we're safe - For sure - yet, so we'll wait on that. Later this week or early next week I intend to give the SUP's a try. No sailing yet. That seems like a bit too much just yet.

If I could shake this fatigue I would be very grateful. Some days I have to grit my teeth to not just sit on my ass.

Thanks for your interest ya'll!! 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Point Break said:

 

No bother! :lol:

A bit tired but no resumption of symptoms. Really happy about that!! 

Mrs PB is still symptom free. 

We have a 5:30 tee time for 9 holes only using a cart. So..........we'll see how that goes. If I can't get through all 9 that'll be fine. All in the effort to try to normalize the physical activities slowly. The course is very careful about physical distancing and its just the two of us with that tee time so no chance of exposures. In theory I am no longer contagious as I am 8 or 9 days after the fever stopped. The recommendation is 72 hours is sufficient. Still, it's really important to us to not expose anyone else till we're so absolutely sure......we know so little about this virus yet that we are both still adhering to the physical distancing and wearing masks but I am venturing out carefully on walks, bike rides and now a bit of golf just the two of us. Pools may open soon but I don't think we're safe - For sure - yet, so we'll wait on that. Later this week or early next week I intend to give the SUP's a try. No sailing yet. That seems like a bit too much just yet.

If I could shake this fatigue I would be very grateful. Some days I have to grit my teeth to not just sit on my ass.

Thanks for your interest ya'll!! 

Not that the 2 are the same but I’ve had pneumonia twice. Long after the lung function was back and the scans clear, it was very tiring to do anything. Doc said it was normal. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot a 57 on the front 9. Really bad but it felt good. Glad I did the cart, walking would have killed me. Got tired the last 3 holes but I was outside in the wonderful air and with Mrs PB. I’m a lucky guy. Got home just before the curfew......

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

One night during a Broadway performance, the curtain suddenly came down and the stage manager stood before the audience.

"I'm sorry," he said, "but we have to stop the show. The leading man just died!"

After a gasp from the crowd, a little old lady in the balcony shouted, "Give him an enema!"

"Madam, maybe you didn't hear me! The man is dead!"

"Give him an enema!" she yelled again.

"Are you crazy or something?" retorted the stage manager. "The man is dead. An enema can't help him!"

She said "It couldn't hurt!"

 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/health/famotidine-covid-19-case-series-study/index.html

 

Couldn’t Hurt!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, silent bob said:

One night during a Broadway performance, the curtain suddenly came down and the stage manager stood before the audience.

"I'm sorry," he said, "but we have to stop the show. The leading man just died!"

After a gasp from the crowd, a little old lady in the balcony shouted, "Give him an enema!"

"Madam, maybe you didn't hear me! The man is dead!"

"Give him an enema!" she yelled again.

"Are you crazy or something?" retorted the stage manager. "The man is dead. An enema can't help him!"

She said "It couldn't hurt!"

 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/health/famotidine-covid-19-case-series-study/index.html

 

Couldn’t Hurt!

Badda Bing... and if you don't get enough of Silent Bob here, he is performing live on June 12 at the Visalia Holiday Inn.  And remember Tuesday is ladies night so bring the high heels and be ready to boogie...    :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Badda Bing... and if you don't get enough of Silent Bob here, he is performing live on June 12 at the Visalia Holiday Inn.  And remember Tuesday is ladies night so bring the high heels and be ready to boogie...    :D

 

It’s Pepcid, not hydroxychloroquine.  Couldn't hurt!  It’s CNN, they never lie!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 6:58 PM, Point Break said:

 

No bother! :lol:

A bit tired but no resumption of symptoms. Really happy about that!! 

Mrs PB is still symptom free. 

....

Thanks for your interest ya'll!! 

Glad you're still on the upswing mate!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dorado said:

PB

Do you have any clue as to how you got infected ?

I do not. We have been off the chart careful and physical distancing since end of Feb, masks when in any close quarters since......I think mid March maybe toward end of March which is only the grocery about twice a week for 20 minutes or so and twice to the hardware box store for some home work supplies. Other than that we have seen literally no-one, not family, not friends, not anyone. There was one idiot at the store who was not wearing a mask (we were) who sneezed without covering his mouth just as he was nearing us. I don't know if that was it and the timing is not quite perfect but...............honestly we really are not sure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Point Break said:

I do not. We have been off the chart careful and physical distancing since end of Feb, masks when in any close quarters since......I think mid March maybe toward end of March which is only the grocery about twice a week for 20 minutes or so and twice to the hardware box store for some home work supplies. Other than that we have seen literally no-one, not family, not friends, not anyone. There was one idiot at the store who was not wearing a mask (we were) who sneezed without covering his mouth just as he was nearing us. I don't know if that was it and the timing is not quite perfect but...............honestly we really are not sure.

Read about tracing in Singapore? anyway really early on, turns out a couple returning from China worshiped on a Sunday, no symptoms and a person next to them also became ill. In tracing a 4th woman also infected and finally discovered she attended the church later that day sitting in the same seats.  The lack of testing and tracing has crippled and paralyzed us - all my friends are happily sail boat racing while I stay home.  Because the numbers are not going down but going up and I know more about statistics than I wish I did.

Hope you are feeling better and on your way to a full recovery and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, d'ranger said:

 The lack of testing and tracing has crippled and paralyzed us - all my friends are happily sail boat racing while I stay home.  Because the numbers are not going down but going up and I know more about statistics than I wish I did.

I feel you. You should see the eye rolls I get from my teenaged disease vectors.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

That "missing them" sensation doesn't last long.....

nasty :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gangbusters said:

PB, what’s up? Playing 36 a day or barely getting out of bed? Hope everything is going great for you.

Thanks for asking. Getting better, fatigue subsiding. Resting heart rate has been a bit high - 90 to 100 when I'm usually 60 or 70 so Doc said lets give the antibiotic another run and add some prednisone ( and I hate that drug) for 5 days and see if any improvement. They are working on the notion there was a secondary opportunistic bacterial infection in the lungs as well and recent data shows the combination of pred and an antibiotic is working well for post COVID lingering lung bacterial "stuff". Im two days into the 5 course and feeling lots better already resting heart rate is already down in the 80's and the fatigue is better as well. Oh....played my second round of 9 since the COVID with Mrs PB at our course. I sucked......shot a 61...but felt pretty good physically and it was really nice to just toddle around in the cart with the Mrs. So...........things are looking up!!

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Prednisone will make you feel like Superman! 5 days is easy try 3 months. You get angry like the Hulk and will eat enough to get that big.

My late wife had huge doses of pred for almost two years and it was vicious. I hate that drug, but a short course.....and the data is positive so....I agreed to do it. I’m a little concerned because pred also reduces the immune system response....seemed counterproductive to me but we chatted about it and he convinced me. 5 days......ok......any longer, probably not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Point Break said:

My late wife had huge doses of pred for almost two years and it was vicious. I hate that drug, but a short course.....and the data is positive so....I agreed to do it. I’m a little concerned because pred also reduces the immune system response....seemed counterproductive to me but we chatted about it and he convinced me. 5 days......ok......any longer, probably not. 

I affirm your reliance on your own ability to evaluate the benefits and the risks.  I hope you have the best doctor.  But even the best has many other concerns.  May you get out of this alive and strong.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 3:09 PM, Point Break said:

I do not. We have been off the chart careful and physical distancing since end of Feb, masks when in any close quarters since......I think mid March maybe toward end of March which is only the grocery about twice a week for 20 minutes or so and twice to the hardware box store for some home work supplies. Other than that we have seen literally no-one, not family, not friends, not anyone. There was one idiot at the store who was not wearing a mask (we were) who sneezed without covering his mouth just as he was nearing us. I don't know if that was it and the timing is not quite perfect but...............honestly we really are not sure.

And that is the rub- no one knows.  We need a country that believes in and respects lifeguarding.  Hang in there.  

(BTW, playing with hickories is easier on the body, and you won’t expect a good score.  The clubs reward an easy swing. You can play from the reds, and nobody says a word.....-_-)
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Point Break said:

Thanks for asking. Getting better, fatigue subsiding. Resting heart rate has been a bit high - 90 to 100 when I'm usually 60 or 70 so Doc said lets give the antibiotic another run and add some prednisone ( and I hate that drug) for 5 days and see if any improvement. They are working on the notion there was a secondary opportunistic bacterial infection in the lungs as well and recent data shows the combination of pred and an antibiotic is working well for post COVID lingering lung bacterial "stuff". Im two days into the 5 course and feeling lots better already resting heart rate is already down in the 80's and the fatigue is better as well. Oh....played my second round of 9 since the COVID with Mrs PB at our course. I sucked......shot a 61...but felt pretty good physically and it was really nice to just toddle around in the cart with the Mrs. So...........things are looking up!!

Wow. 

50% increase in resting heart rate, when you're feeling better?

This flu is a bitch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 6:33 PM, Point Break said:

 Oh....played my second round of 9 since the COVID with Mrs PB at our course. I sucked......shot a 61...but felt pretty good physically and it was really nice to just toddle around in the cart with the Mrs. So...........things are looking up!!

 

45293m.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

@Point Break

I hope your recovery is continuing to progress.  If you don't mind sharing, by any chance is your blood type A?

Wifey has seen some studies correlating A blood type to a more severe reaction and longer recovery period.

As an +60 A blood type, I'm not real excited about this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pbd said:

@Point Break

I hope your recovery is continuing to progress.  If you don't mind sharing, by any chance is your blood type A?

Wifey has seen some studies correlating A blood type to a more severe reaction and longer recovery period.

As an +60 A blood type, I'm not real excited about this. 

Doing stellar. Some labs are askew, hgb and a couple others including a very generic inflammation marker - so I have a repeat lab panel in a month. Nothing critical though, probably a few lingering metabolic thingees which should resolve. 

Blood type, I’m O+ which similar studies suggest have a protective aspect. I’ve read a couple of those and the studies are observational only so I guess we’ll see. What’s the old saying.....”correlation is not necessarily causation”.  Nonetheless, keep your head down!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the blood type thing would be really easy to nail down. We have this information for everyone who's been hospitalized with COVID and we probably have it as well for a good percentage of people who've been tested but not hospitalized. 

If the testing agencies aren't already getting informed consent for the use of de-identified results for research purposes, well...I guess that would be par for the course with the way this pandemic's been handled so far in the US.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, IStream said:

Seems like the blood type thing would be really easy to nail down. We have this information for everyone who's been hospitalized with COVID and we probably have it as well for a good percentage of people who've been tested but not hospitalized. 

If the testing agencies aren't already getting informed consent for the use of de-identified results for research purposes, well...I guess that would be par for the course with the way this pandemic's been handled so far in the US.

The test I had (nasal swab) did not ID blood type, but I imagine anyone hospitalized would have been typed. As you noted there should be plenty of those.........but it'll still be observational/statistical...........certainly better than nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @Point Break, couple quick questions about COVID testing since you’ve been through it. I am going to get a precautionary test tomorrow afternoon because one of my students just tested positive. All of us who had any contact with him at work are now quarantined for 2 weeks. 
 

Q1:  I recall you said they have to swab for a while to make sure they get enough sample. What’s the best practice?

Q2:  what is the min time to wait to get a test after exposure?  The kids GF tested + on Tuesday and he tested on Thursday and came back also positive. I’ve read where if you get a test too soon after exposure that it might be too early and you risk a false negative. My first exposure last Monday, so tomorrow will be 7 days even though we were both masked up and exposure was minimal. 
 

TIA

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Hey @Point Break, couple quick questions about COVID testing since you’ve been through it. I am going to get a precautionary test tomorrow afternoon because one of my students just tested positive. All of us who had any contact with him at work are now quarantined for 2 weeks. 
 

Q1:  I recall you said they have to swab for a while to make sure they get enough sample. What’s the best practice?

Q2:  what is the min time to wait to get a test after exposure?  The kids GF tested + on Tuesday and he tested on Thursday and came back also positive. I’ve read where if you get a test too soon after exposure that it might be too early and you risk a false negative. My first exposure last Monday, so tomorrow will be 7 days even though we were both masked up and exposure was minimal. 
 

TIA

Really sorry I did not see this sooner. Plenty of research on your questions available. Pretty good stuff. In brief the nasal swab procedure should be in deep enough (to some line on the swab of most adults) then twirl for 10-20 seconds then withdraw and repeat with same swab on other side. The test is actually statistically fairly good and the articles say most of the false negatives are due to improper technique or improper handling of specimens afterwards. The false positives are another thing entirely. If you are experiencing symptoms the chances of an accurate test if done correctly are pretty good. If you are asymptomatic the reliability drops significantly. I don't remember the actual numbers but its a big difference. Most of those observations/advice on that aspect of testing is still being developed as the virus is around longer and more people are tested/infected/symptomatic. 

However......most folks develop symptoms in about 5-8 days. Some as short as 3 days and some as long as 2-3 weeks. If it were me and I was exposed and not symptomatic.....I'd wait 2 weeks. Or at least test again at 2 or 3 weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Really sorry I did not see this sooner. Plenty of research on your questions available. Pretty good stuff. In brief the nasal swab procedure should be in deep enough (to some line on the swab of most adults) then twirl for 10-20 seconds then withdraw and repeat with same swab on other side. The test is actually statistically fairly good and the articles say most of the false negatives are due to improper technique or improper handling of specimens afterwards. The false positives are another thing entirely. If you are experiencing symptoms the chances of an accurate test if done correctly are pretty good. If you are asymptomatic the reliability drops significantly. I don't remember the actual numbers but its a big difference. Most of those observations/advice on that aspect of testing is still being developed as the virus is around longer and more people are tested/infected/symptomatic. 

However......most folks develop symptoms in about 5-8 days. Some as short as 3 days and some as long as 2-3 weeks. If it were me and I was exposed and not symptomatic.....I'd wait 2 weeks. Or at least test again at 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks.  I am absolutely asymptomatic.  Might do the test again in a couple of weeks if not positive.  I was just hoping a negative would clear me to go back to work sooner, but there seems too many variables.

Hope your recovery is still going well!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

PB, I just saw this article. As you mentioned, it's being reported more often for relapses. Damn. 

I hope you continue to feel better. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/covid-19-coronavirus-longterm-symptoms-months/612679/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...