LA Yacht club new coastal race series.

42 minutes ago, mundt said:

They really charge 150 bucks for one race?  And then they wonder what killed the sport!

It's 4 races, including a 150mile TPac qualifier. Looks like a bargain if they can do it.

20 minutes ago, Crash said:

Only bummer is they are only catering to the fast boats.  PHRF 73 and higher not invited :(

Well, maybe they don't want to wait around the whole week for a Benny 31 to finish.:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We had discussions about doing this on a J125.  But the owner decided there was still too much risk.  I didn't have the heart to tell him there really isn't a lot of difference between doing a day race together or an overnight together once we climb into the boat we are a household.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Crash said:

How???  All those boats rate 72, and are therefore eligible!

Yeah, it looks more to me like they intentionally included those boats

1 hour ago, fan said:

We had discussions about doing this on a J125.  But the owner decided there was still too much risk.  I didn't have the heart to tell him there really isn't a lot of difference between doing a day race together or an overnight together once we climb into the boat we are a household.

Bummer, I agree that if you are willing get on the boat with any crew the distance/time is irrelevant. 

I'm not keen about rounding Eagle Rock to port.  I've been between it and the Island in benign conditions. I can imagine plenty of conditions when I would rather stay outside.

According to the NOAA chart, there's roughly 100 yards between eagle rock and symbols for awash rocks near shore.  Plenty of water near the shore-side of Eagle rock, 10 fathoms. I would sure hate to arrive there at night, abeam of competitor, or in big conditions, or all three.

On 6/2/2020 at 12:34 PM, Hitchhiker said:

And now a Lumbo 30.  How did that get such an unfortunate sounding nickname?

https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registrant_list.php?regatta_id=20806&custom_report_id=2

Pity about the J-125's missing out.  And the Soto 40.

No Cruz 50's or TP 52's either!

Not a TP52. But, we'll be out there on a Kerr 51.

It appears as if there is going to be some breeze for Race 1 on Saturday, with 14 boats entered.  All seem to be good boats, with some of the skippers having raced in a Santa Barbara Island Race in the 70’s and 80’s.  It will be an interesting test to see the number of boats who; (1) start; (2) finish; or (3) if LAYC cancels out of an abundance of caution.

As a comparison, Race 1 is essentially a Whitney Series, Santa Barbara Island Race.  In the 70’s and 80’s, it seems like an SBI Race would average around 40 boats.  In those days, it blew like stink on half the races and hardly at all on the others.  Usually, the only boats that did not finish broke major items, such as masts.  Hardly anyone dropped out simply because it was blowing 25-30, with seas to match, or because there was little wind and it took two days to finish.

Any bets.

I'll wager that neither Peligroso or Fast Exit 2 will be racing.   

Was talking about the race this morning with the Boss and trying to recall the last time I had done the race. It was back in '99 when we turbo-ed the Med Man!

The NDFD is more aggressive than the GFS right now by four and a half hours.

Class B boats don't go to Santa Barbara Island.  

Unfortunately, Dana Point Shipyard's Travel lift has had a major hydraulic issue. So, no Fast Exit won't be racing and Peligroso won't due to a COVID 19 case.

50 minutes ago, timmytwinstay said:

It appears as if there is going to be some breeze for Race 1 on Saturday, with 14 boats entered.  All seem to be good boats, with some of the skippers having raced in a Santa Barbara Island Race in the 70’s and 80’s.  It will be an interesting test to see the number of boats who; (1) start; (2) finish; or (3) if LAYC cancels out of an abundance of caution.

As a comparison, Race 1 is essentially a Whitney Series, Santa Barbara Island Race.  In the 70’s and 80’s, it seems like an SBI Race would average around 40 boats.  In those days, it blew like stink on half the races and hardly at all on the others.  Usually, the only boats that did not finish broke major items, such as masts.  Hardly anyone dropped out simply because it was blowing 25-30, with seas to match, or because there was little wind and it took two days to finish.

Any bets.

Yea, looks like it could breeze up for the SB Island course. Isn't LA to SB island and return in a normal W breeze, more like an 84 mile W/L course than a random leg?
PHRF has rules on Courses and which rating to use. Many of the new boats take huge hits in their RLC rating and it might not be wise to designate a rating so far ahead. In the past (way way past), the W/L was stated to use marks that were set and not stationary marks. PHRF fixed this by stating wind directions in relation to the course and not the type of marks set.

We used to race around SB Island from CI Harbor. Mostly in small boats and we'd finish between 1pm and 4pm. The course was a reach and a one sided beat to Ormond Beach then tack about 3 or 4 miles up the beach to the finish. I think it was 87 miles.

2.2 To more accurately reflect the speed potential of boats on different points of sail, PHRF uses a system of THREE RATINGS. The Ratings are designated as the “WINDWARD/LEEWARD COURSE RATING” (W/L), the “RANDOM LEG COURSE RATING” (RLC), and the “OFFWIND COURSE RATING” (OWC), each of which is defined below.

a. W/L Ratings are intended to be used when the course is expected to be primarily windward/leeward legs on courses set in relation to the wind.

b. RLC Ratings are intended to be used when the course type is neither W/L nor OWC.

c. OWC Ratings are intended to be used when at least 2/3 of the course distance is expected to be more than 135 degrees from true wind direction

They sure love Eagle Rock in this series.

Instead of going around Anacapa, the back side is always a crap shoot, they should go the buoy at Scorpion on SC Island. That would keep them in windy land the whole race and offer some down wind tactics in the channel on the way home.

I did the SB Island race on the prototype R33 catamaran.  We were lucky that we had easy, steady breeze the whole way.  As we were approaching the island, nearing darkish time, the new guy that nobody knew and was only wearing shorts and t-shirt came over to me looking very nervous.  "Where are we going?,"  he asks.  "Out thataway," says I.  He looks around terrified and says, "I can't see land!  I thought we were going to Santa Barbara for dinner!"  We rounded up some extra clothes and food for the poor lad.  Beautiful ride back to the L.B.C.  Lots of fun driving the big assym in the moonlight.  I've heard tales of boats getting the living shit beat out of em out there.  It's a very lonely place.  Not recommended for swimming.

Btw, at the finish we came very close to crashing into a Santa Cruz (50/52?) named Chicken Little.  It was in the very wee hours and quite dark and I think we surprised the shit out of each other.  I bet one of you Gs was there!  Anybody..?  

On 6/8/2020 at 4:10 PM, solosailor said:

Lucky folks.....   we just got turned down twice in the last month to run the SINGLEHANDED Farallones race.   

The coasties got burned by the kid out of Monterey.

Class B exploded with now 12 entries. Very cool.  https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registrant_list.php?regatta_id=20806&custom_report_id=2

Disappointed that we are not racing tomorrow.  Not super blowy, but should be fun nonetheless.

Guesstimates, 10 and half hours for a rating around -90.

Just under 8 hours at -3.

8 and 3/4 hours at 72.

Have fun and be safe.

Bummed not to be out there. But, we are shooting for Break out #2. I hope the boys will be sending it in a couple hours.

Only from the B Class that I've seen so far. Wind up to Mid 20's plus at Eagle Rock. Reports of 17 knots plus on occasions boat speed.

It doesn't look like anyone in the A Class raced.

4 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Only from the B Class that I've seen so far. Wind up to Mid 20's plus at Eagle Rock. Reports of 17 knots plus on occasions boat speed.

It doesn't look like anyone in the A Class raced.

2 out of 4 boats started in A Class. Both DNF.

Even for B Class, our fleet had a pretty sloppy seastate. One of our crew was so seasick it became a MAJOR concern after she would not stop vomiting. She couldn't hold anything down and getting very weak. I chose to peel off, pop the kite and head for home just about halfway across the channel. Fun ride home though.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Irrational 14 said:

2 out of 4 boats started in A Class. Both DNF.

Even for B Class, our fleet had a pretty sloppy seastate. One of our crew was so seasick it became a MAJOR concern after she would not stop vomiting. She couldn't hold anything down and getting very weak. I chose to peel off, pop the kite and head for home just about halfway across the channel. Fun ride home though.

Class A, they were sailing to SB Island right? I bet it was a tough beat. 40 miles in 20+, hell yea, modern boats would hate it but an ole IOR lead mine, or some of the Santa Cruz ULDB, would have reveled in the pounding. In the small boat fleet, my (unmodified) 80's Zap would have loved it and then planned all the way home.

Can't do much for those not prepared.  Mother Nature is Unforgiving.

18 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

but an ole IOR lead mine, or some of the Santa Cruz ULDB, would have reveled in the pounding.

The Grand Illusion IS a Santa Cruz ULDB.  They broke some shit and bailed out.

19 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

The Grand Illusion IS a Santa Cruz ULDB.  They broke some shit and bailed out.

18 hours ago, Raz'r said:

40 miles upwind in 20+?  That can get expensive.

13 hours ago, Crash said:

Didn't used to be...why is it now so?  We race a bunch of 50 foot Lasers maybe?

Yea, I remember sailing in the shit all the time in the 70's and 80's and we were never breaking stuff.

From Channel Islands Harbor to the west end of Santa Cruz Island is about 45 miles and the SB channel can get might nasty. The beat up the front side of the Island was such a beautiful trip. But poking out around Diablo Point to the west end was a the tough part. Then of course the sleigh ride through the pass and down the back side.
The SC Island race used to be the real deal. Now all they do is go around Anacapa.

This was such a great sail, you had your option of going around Anacapa either way. Lots of kelp at night.
The line is just a depiction of the course. We were usually pretty close to the island trying to stay in good air but flat water.

2020-06-16.thumb.png.90ba3a5656a2b503fa92f3467420bb14.png

Good memories!

We got dismasted on a Santana 525 about 2/3 the way up the north shore of Santa Cruz Island. It was blowing steady in the 30s with higher gusts. The S525 mast was re-engineered a couple days later to eliminate what turned out to be a stress riser at the spreader base. We didn't have a decent VHF or an outboard motor.

Stepped the boom as a mast in the drain of the galley sink and flew the #3 sideways (clew up) all the way into the slip. We were seriously bummed we didn't get to hoist a chute for the run back home!

We sailed past the R/C on station at the finish line at dawn, with this weird-ass-looking rig, and said simply, "We withdraw." They were ready to call the Coast Guard!

• Like 1

I raced a couple of Hardway races in 2000 or so. Is that still a thing?

Since we are thread drifting, how about the long gone Islands race?  LAYC ran it and I think the last one was in '97 or '98.  Raced it on Med Man.

LA start up to Richardson Rock then down to San Clemente leaving all islands to port and finishing back in LA harbour. We managed to cover the 138 miles or so from Richardson Rock to China Point on San Clemente in 12 hours.

Total race distance 313 nm.  

islands race.JPG

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Since we are thread drifting, how about the long gone Islands race?  LAYC ran it and I think the last one was in '97 or '98.  Raced it on Med Man.

LA start up to Richardson Rock then down to San Clemente leaving all islands to port and finishing back in LA harbour. We managed to cover the 138 miles or so from Richardson Rock to China Point on San Clemente in 12 hours.

islands race.JPG

Hardway still a thing for a few boats, last I did we spent 4 hrs bobbing within sight of the SBYC before the wind filled and then did 23 knots through the gap under main and blast reacher until the BR blew.....

On 6/16/2020 at 12:05 PM, Hitchhiker said:

islands race.JPG

That race was part of the Whitney Series way back in the day of real sailors I think. I never did it but it sounded like a real tough race. Your boat had better go upwind good. Once you leave the SC Island area, the shit can be thick. The back side slide would be crazy. Now days a race like that would require so much coast guard ass kissing it would not be worth it. Who could afford the safety req?    There really are some great courses up in the SB Channel, too bad we don't have a racing fleet like we did. Gone are the days of using your house as an ATM.

The Hardway last year had no entries, if I recall correctly. PBYC does not seem to have any archives either. I can't figure out why some of these clubs can't get with the digital age. 

VYC has a race with a Trophy deeded by the Then Gov of Calif and the req is it must be 18+ miles.
I've tried talking up a race from Our start area by the Mandalay Power Station out to the Fry's harbor area. and then to Ventura to fulfill the req. At least we get back out the SC Island but not go around it. What a great ride home it would be. All I get is old people saying, I have to be in by 6.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:30 PM, Somebody Else said:

Now THAT was a race!

Take the Chemical Waste Dump, the Missile Test Range, and the Naval Explosives Testing Areas to port.

The Missile and Exp ranges are way offshore. If you go that far, you are lost. Besides, I have not seen or heard them testing in decades.
Where is the Chemical Dump? never heard of it.

Yeah, I did a few Whitney Races back when I was young and dumb.  And, I spent a pre-Chicago Mac race party getting lectured by the locals about how California's can't sail upwind. Well that was the night before we were first boat to finish under 70' on a N/M 55 in the days of 50 foot gold platers and the first SC52. 

Going upwind is over rated. Now, I say real men are prepared to go upwind.  But, downhill is so much more fun!

• Like 1

Bring back the PORC! There were some good courses there as well. Generally went well unless you didn't finish before the breeze died. Then it was the usual slat-fest until you could smell the LA leakage around sunrise. 

On 6/17/2020 at 4:55 PM, Tom O'Keefe said:

Yeah, I did a few Whitney Races back when I was young and dumb.  And, I spent a pre-Chicago Mac race party getting lectured by the locals about how California's can't sail upwind. Well that was the night before we were first boat to finish under 70' on a N/M 55 in the days of 50 foot gold platers and the first SC52. 

Going upwind is over rated. Now, I say real men are prepared to go upwind.  But, downhill is so much more fun!

Tom Wylie's 31' midget ocean racer design Mooshadow raced, and won, both Whitney, and Danforth series, simultaneously, in the late 70's. Delivered up, down the coast between events. No SoCal boat has ever even attempted that. Most SoCal boats are not up to it. So say nothing of the crews. 

35 minutes ago, jhc said:

Tom Wylie's 31' midget ocean racer design Mooshadow raced, and won, both Whitney, and Danforth series, simultaneously, in the late 70's. Delivered up, down the coast between events. No SoCal boat has ever even attempted that. Most SoCal boats are not up to it. So say nothing of the crews. 

Now we are talking SoCal offshore history!