3 hours ago, Liquid said:

Nice!

Now grab a rock and throw it at the boat to get the first ding out of the way!

First pic: I immediately went to the 4 small wood blocks on the cross brace. How are they secured? They all seem to have air under them...

the blocks are on there pretty securely, there're screwed into the thwart. Bolts would probably be better I guess...

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I  sailed it! Sadly I don't have any stories of the boat tearing apart on a planing reach, but, it was quite a successful sail nevertheless. The bailers leaked a little but NOT my repair! and one

thought I would send some pics of us launching from the sailing club. This is the third weekend we have sailed it. Yesterday we took it out in conditions 9 kts gusting 20 to 25! Sort of surv

My first 505 and my first Peugeot had something in common: They both left a trail of apparently nonessential parts in their wake.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

the blocks are on there pretty securely, there're screwed into the thwart. Bolts would probably be better I guess...

Unscrew, sand, drill and thru bolt them for sure!!!

If they start to move, even a tiny little bit, they will blow out!

...at the worst possible moment!

12 hours ago, Liquid said:

Unscrew, sand, drill and thru bolt them for sure!!!

If they start to move, even a tiny little bit, they will blow out!

...at the worst possible moment!

As posted earlier, I suspect you will be moving them so your crew can sit somewhere. And first time your crew comes in hastily off the wire a little bit out of control, his/her aft foot will find those blocks. Or your spinnaker sheet will get wrapped around one.  Again - see all the other photos. Especially the UK ones. 

• Like 1

I built a composite ply deck/ balsa hull Fireball with my girlfriend/skipper back in the 90's, and I did a lovely contoured centreboard cap for the boat. There were all sorts of questions from her about the reasons and I had all sorts of answers.

It was only during one light air day between races than I sat down on the centreboard case and reclined back against the case and thwart in perfectly contoured comfort that the penny dropped on the REAL reason! :P

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I doubt there will be such events this year. A lot of planning is required and many sailors need to plan around vacation time.

Might be worthwhile to contact the Quebec Fireball guys. 7 hour drive to Pointe Claire from Erie - could be a fun road trip!