Jump to content

The search continues!


Recommended Posts

Hi, I've been looking for a boat to sail over the summer and for years to come. I'd love some suggestions! I'm 17, and have been sailing for almost half my life, mostly on boats like, 420's, 505's, Lasers, etc. I'm looking to find something new. I weigh about 210-215, and am around 6'0, I'd prefer a single-handed boat, or one that I'm able to single hand, (single hand trap would be amazing) and I wouldn't complain about a spin. My budget is up in the air as my job for the summer might not happen due to current events. I typically sail out of the Niagara on the Lake Yacht Club or the Dalhousie Yacht Club on Lake Ontario. I'd appreciate any suggestions people can give! I look forward to hearing them!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like your criteria is much the same as last fall.  

What didn't you like about the options that were given there or what has changed about your preferences since then?

Here's a quick compilation of the options these fine anarchists gave you then:

  • Contender
  • MPS
  • IC
  • AC
  • Finn

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

for the money, speed and challenge you can't go wrong with a Nethercott International Canoe.

+1

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grestone said:

It looks like your criteria is much the same as last fall.  

What didn't you like about the options that were given there or what has changed about your preferences since then?

Here's a quick compilation of the options these fine anarchists gave you then:

  • Contender
  • MPS
  • IC
  • AC
  • Finn

 

 

 

I loved the suggestions from last year, Contender seems really interesting to me still, MPS has been hard to find, IC and AC also seem interesting but I've been having trouble finding one in my area. Finn doesn't really seem to be my type of boat. Gave them all some thought over the winter, and just looking for some fresh opinions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thengling said:

Has anyone suggested a Swift Solo? Build one!

I've seen a few, they look super cool, and I'd love to sail one, but I'm not much of a builder haha, don't really have the tools necessary to undertake such a project, so I never really considered it too much. If you have any tips on construction though I'd still love to hear them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thengling said:

Also consider that you may eventually be 6'-4" and 280 pounds... ("years to come")

Haha, I'd love to be 6'4" and It is still a possibility, My weight has kinda plateaued over the past few years though same thing for my height. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan Crawford said:

for the money, speed and challenge you can't go wrong with a Nethercott International Canoe.

I was recommended the IC a lot last year when I asked this question. @ortegakid notably recommended it quite a few times (much appreciated by the way) and @Willy Clark was helping me source one out, kinda fell through over the winter sadly, so this spring I'm looking again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

 

 

that ad is marked SOLD

Three years ago...ouch

Link to post
Share on other sites

a

On 5/21/2020 at 3:44 PM, Admiral Hornblower said:

You might fit a Contender,  a single handed boat with a trapeze, though no spin.

Staying in Contention

They've intrigued me, might have to call up the Toronto fleet and check it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

We have 3 other IC's for sale in Texas, all depends on how much you want to pay.

Do you know if there is any fleet in Toronto or somewhere near me, I'd love to call them up and check them out. Being 16-17 a trip down to Texas isn't something I think I can pull off in my current situation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 5:37 PM, northwestern9 said:

Do you know if there is any fleet in Toronto or somewhere near me, I'd love to call them up and check them out. Being 16-17 a trip down to Texas isn't something I think I can pull off in my current situation. 

This fell off the map for me, but I have located a number around the Northeast @northwestern9. Sending you a PM. Let's make this happen!

Best,
Will

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I have boats from $700 and up. Could bring to Sandusky Ohio area. Let me know how much you want to pay and we will get you in a boat. I'm sure Willy can get you one from his neck of the  woods also. PM me.

IMG_2218.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This may seem to come way out of left field, but how about a beach cat?

A Hobie 16 or Nacra 5.2 could see you sailing over 20kts out on the trapeze. None for sale in your area right now, but go a ways south into the Hudson Valley and there are a few.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 3:30 PM, northwestern9 said:

. I weigh about 210-215, and am around 6'0, I'd prefer a single-handed boat

Get a Finn.

There are four in Toronto (and one in Ottawa), CORK in Kingston is a major part of the calendar and there are a couple regattas in Upstate New York (after Corona kills us all of course)

80464454_10156954718002634_1644722120724316160_o.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 6:49 PM, PaulK said:

Two guys at our club share a Wazp foiler and seem to like it.  How well do you swim? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfwfam-LBQU

I swim quite well but the WASZP is a bit out of my budget sadly. I'd love to try it someday though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 7:16 PM, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

This may seem to come way out of left field, but how about a beach cat?

A Hobie 16 or Nacra 5.2 could see you sailing over 20kts out on the trapeze. None for sale in your area right now, but go a ways south into the Hudson Valley and there are a few.

I've considered it, the Hobie 16 looks interesting and as far as Nacra's go they're cool boats too, I just don't have a lot of cat sailing experience, but I'm still looking to see if there are some worth checking out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, onepointfivethumbs said:

Get a Finn.

There are four in Toronto (and one in Ottawa), CORK in Kingston is a major part of the calendar and there are a couple regattas in Upstate New York (after Corona kills us all of course)

80464454_10156954718002634_1644722120724316160_o.jpg

I've looked into the Finn, never seen one in person, but I've never really been a huge racer, fleet racing isn't a priority for me. While they are interesting I think I'd be more interested in another type of boat. Thank you though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 6:14 PM, Lifesave said:

I have boats from $700 and up. Could bring to Sandusky Ohio area. Let me know how much you want to pay and we will get you in a boat. I'm sure Willy can get you one from his neck of the  woods also. PM me.

IMG_2218.jpeg

Working on getting Max a boat that has been in a shed in Michigan for years. Should have a plan within the next few weeks. If this falls through, one of Dave's boats would also make a lot of sense if they can make it to Ohio. Let's keep in touch over the next month or so. Gotta get @northwestern9 IC sailing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 12:55 AM, Rodfavela said:

Have you considered the VX Evo? it checks all the boxes:
 


 

 

Funnily enough, there was one for sale last summer however it was out of my budget, I think they were asking for like 15k or something.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...