Feels a bit silly asking this in the midst of discussions of headstay trim and anchor rollers, but we have our eye on a painting that we'd like to hang on the salon bulkhead in our boat, and are wondering if anyone has any experience with how art holds up to that sort of environment.  The painting is acrylic and pastel on canvas; we weren't planning on getting it framed behind glass but I suppose we could if we had to.  We'd take the painting off for the winter when the boat went on the hard, of course.  I just don't want to plonk down a couple of boat units for a piece of art and then find that we've ruined it thanks to salt air and humidity.

Any liveaboards who could advise on this urgent nautical question?

From champagne corks flying towards a Picasso to cornflakes splashed on a Basquiat painting, the perils facing billionaires’ floating art collections aren’t those sailors typically fear on the high seas. But the world’s ultra-rich are filling superyachts with so many masterpieces that conservators are teaching captains and crew how to care for art as well as to pamper passengers.

Pandora Mather-Lees, an Oxford-educated art historian and conservator, started giving lessons after a billionaire asked for help to restore a Jean-Michel Basquiat painting damaged not by sea spray, but by breakfast cereal. “His kids had thrown their cornflakes at it over breakfast on his yacht because they thought it was scary,” Mather-Lees said. “And the crew had made the damage worse by wiping them off the painting.”

She declined to name the owner or identify the artwork, but a Basquiat painting depicting a crazed, skull-shaped face sold at auction for a US record $110.5m (£84.5m) in 2017.

The crew “just thought it was some painting, they had no idea it was worth many millions,” Mather-Lees told the Observer at a superyacht conference in London last week. “They are expected to know how to serve the owners at sea, not to know about paintings and art. But, now that the rich are increasingly bringing their art collections on board their yachts it’s vital that captains and crew know how to care for these pieces.”

• Like 2

We had an oil painting on our first boat for years. Survived with no issues including 4 winters in Annapolis, MD. Not quite acrylic, but one data point.

We have also had good luck with carvings, and photos that were mounted on foam boards.

We're in year five of keeping our favorite oils, pastels, and bronze sculpture on our 12m cat in the Caribbean and Med with no I'll effect so far.

These along with our favorite knives and copper cookware in the belly really make our boat our home.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

note the sturdy brackets that affix the picture to the wall

They look like anti-theft measures. In Canada yet?

Buy the art if you like it. Then go to your local college and ask the art professor who the best student painter is. Hire that student to paint a duplicate of your art for $300. Hang the duplicate on your boat and keep the original ashore. No problems with deterioration, maintenance, insurance, import duties and no worries!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

One mans dream, is another man's nightmare. :)

That title has already been taken, man! :-)

But, yes, some like it hot, some like it cold.  East is east, west is west, and never the ‘twain shall meet.  There are two people in the world: those who... (I’ve run out of cliches :-) )

The St. Roche - first single season NWP transit.  A unique and gruelling voyage.  If you’re ever out this way, Vancouver, BC, you can see actually go through the St. Roche in the local maritime museum.  It may ignite your imagination...

B5D3A2F2-3FC3-43AD-82A7-69FA7E904025.jpeg

8 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

That title has already been taken, man! :-)

But, yes, some like it hot, some like it cold.  East is east, west is west, and never the ‘twain shall meet.  There are two people in the world: those who... (I’ve run out of cliches :-) )

The St. Roche - first single season NWP transit.  A unique and gruelling voyage.  If you’re ever out this way, Vancouver, BC, you can see actually go through the St. Roche in the local maritime museum.  It may ignite your imagination...

B5D3A2F2-3FC3-43AD-82A7-69FA7E904025.jpeg

I'm out of it,...I know. Sailboats stuck in snow makes me think, somebody made a mistake. 

Houses stuck in snow, that makes sense. :)

499113950_Snow1511.jpg.87363424710c41adcc5a102fe8f01313.jpg