Best way to finish dyneema lacing of trampoline.

Hello, replacing trampoline on 38 foot Cat.  New netting is polyester and lacing with 1/8" amsteel, hole spacing is ~ 6" apart. 

I am doing separate lines on each side.  The sides and rear of net attaches to flange in deck, forward end attaches to stainless sail track cars.  I am also going to do independent attachments at each corner for redundancy.  I brummel spliced eye loops in line and then "luggage tagged" them to the net to start with continuous lacing along each side. I know recommendations are for every 3-4 attachment points to be independent but honestly even with the line not secured there is enough friction in it to hold my weight on the tramp even freshly installed. 

It still needs quite a bit of tightening, every go around gets about another 12-18" on the line but after 1/2 a day my hands were shot, definitely need to finish with gloves and a tool to grab the line.

Question is: what is the cleanest way to finish the end of the dyneema lacing ?  The holes in the deck flange are small, can't get more than two strands of 1/8" through them. All suggestions welcome.  Thanks

0.gif

I just tie off with a bowline.  Then pull the bitter end back through the core so nothing is fraying.  

2 hours ago, MultiThom said:

I just tie off with a bowline.  Then pull the bitter end back through the core so nothing is fraying.  

If there is a bunch of tension on the line already, is a bowline possible?. I do a series of stacked half hitches like colligo marine has on there web tutorials for shroud end terminators. Works nice shinny amsteel and looks nice.

• Like 1

If making a loop in dyneema for something critical like a tramp lace you may want to consider a double bowline or a Yosemite bowline to reduce the chance of slipping. The stacked half hitches mentioned above  work fine on the terminus.

1 hour ago, rustylaru said:

If there is a bunch of tension on the line already, is a bowline possible?. I do a series of stacked half hitches like colligo marine has on there web tutorials for shroud end terminators. Works nice shinny amsteel and looks nice.

A bowline wouldn't be possible if the line is that tight.  But i don't bounce quarters off the tramps.  I use a bowline for the same reason I usually tie bowlines, so I can easily untie them  down the road.  Nothing wrong with half hitches but I hate to have to go find my marlin spike to untie a knot.

If you’re working on your own two pairs of vice grips make the job much easier.  As you work along the net lock the lacing at each loop with vice grips.

also I was introduced to an awesome custom tool by Tornado sailors years ago.  Side stay mast terminal dogbone on one end then a trapeze handle on the other end.  When you’re doing the second run along the tramp tightening you just hook on the dog one and pull the lacing between each eye (locking off with vice grips as you go).

• Like 1

FWIW.... I would do quite a few individual ties.... Also you can buy a black VB cord with spectre inner.... It will handle the sun much better than exposed dyneema.... or you can paint the dyneema after its done with a UV dark product.

That polyester net will stretch for ever.... nightmare... Especially as there is no cat walk so it' a big distance.... Make a tool to pull the line... totally worth it and you will need it again regularly
Wet the tramp and get the kids to bounce around on it for a week...every month for 2 years...lol

• Like 1

Dyneema fine for that application, small racing cats use it, and the dyneema will outlast the polyester for UV.  Only downside is it's slippery to handle, and tie.  (slippery is a good thing, as it will chafe other materials it's in contact with less). As others have said, a couple of pairs of mole grips saves your fingers, as does a big old wooden lever, and allows you to put proper force on the lashing, and lots of half hitches to secure.

You will have to retension sometimes, this is not an unpleasant job for a sunny day.  You'll probably take a couple of runs at getting the lashing pattern you are happy with anyway, it's all part of lifes rich tapestry.

For my dyneema tramp lacing, I finished with a bowline.  It needs a little extra slack to tie and untie, but you can redistribute that slack along the rest of the lacing with very little loss of tension.  To keep the bowline from slipping, I tie an overhand knot in the tail, and leave a couple inches free.

I have the following suggestions:

1.       Obtain 6-8 nylon web ratchet straps, the kind used to secure motorcycles to trailers.

2.       Use the ratchet straps to stretch the trampoline so that the attachment points are approximately in their final locations.

3.       Remove all of the lacing, as it was laced crisscross.

4.       Install the lacing so that it is perpendicular to an attachment point on the trampoline and to the deck attachment point.  Route the lacing under the deck and over to the next deck hole so that the lacing is hidden under the deck.

5.       Tighten the lacing more than you might think necessary, as the netting will likely stretch (or be prepared to re-tighten the lacing at some point).

My solution is similar to Scarecrow, I spliced and eye in one end and half hitches with a couple of stitches with whipping twine the other end.

If I need to adjust I will cut the stitches and undo the half hitches , tighten and redo.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions!  Yeah tool with a handle was first priority, for the hands.  Definitely expecting to have to re-tighten in the future so looking for something secure but not a total bear to redo.