Repainting carbon masts

48 minutes ago, mad said:

This amazing invention...................... its called sandpaper.:P

Ha. Thanks. I was also wondering if anyone has ever gotten the paint off by blasting it with water, or walnut shell like on restoration shows. Just was thinking a alternative to sanding as I believe that sanding could have a chance of dammaging the fibers.

I was told once that the outer skin on carbon masts, with the visible weave pattern, is mostly cosmetic, exceptions being build up layers around hardware points, spreader, etc. 

it’s the uni-directional stuff that’s most important no?

CST recommends sanding with 80 or 120 grit but to be careful not to sand away any carbon. Seems reasonable :)

Its a tricky job. You generally end up removing a bit of carbon to get ALL the clear-coat off. Probably the better thing to do is get it sanded smooth with 120-220 grit, leave any really stuck clear coat and then vinyl wrap with 3M 2080. The problem with shooting clear back over clear is it will be foggy in those areas. Vinyl hides this and is generally easier than shooting paint. If shooting paint, I can highly recommend either Awlgrip White, or some of the 2K clears in a can, but white will save the mast from warping in high temperatures.

Clear coat on carbon seems to last only a year or two in sunny areas. White Awlgrip on the other hand, will last a decade or two. So you have to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Oh, wait, that's not it. This: Is it that important that my friends and acquaintances know that I have a carbon mast?

• 3 weeks later...

Razor blades with an angled razor blade holder worked well for the 55ft mast and boom I did. Quicker than sanding and less dust. You have to try pretty hard to get it to dig into the fibers.  The flakey stuff comes off pretty easy. Sprayed 545 and rolled/tipped with black awlgrip topcoat. Looks good and has held up 5 years later. Rolling and tipping black was tricky and ultimately had to do it indoors to minimize bugs and specks of dust getting on it.