505 Spin sheet length

Can’t seem to find a figure anywhere about how long 505 spinnaker sheets should be. Would like to have one continuous line going from the clew aft to the transom, forward to the turning block on the tank, over to the crew, then loose enough for it to continue  through the other turning block back to the transom, and forward to the other clew.  Am trying to avoid having lots  of extra spaghetti to slip/trip on in the cockpit, but also have enough margin to be able to release it and let it flog in case of ... issues.  Is 2x boat length  (64’ total) too much?    

17 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Can’t seem to find a figure anywhere about how long 505 spinnaker sheets should be. Would like to have one continuous line going from the clew aft to the transom, forward to the turning block on the tank, over to the crew, then loose enough for it to continue  through the other turning block back to the transom, and forward to the other clew.  Am trying to avoid having lots  of extra spaghetti to slip/trip on in the cockpit, but also have enough margin to be able to release it and let it flog in case of ... issues.  Is 2x boat length  (64’ total) too much?    

64' is 4x of the boat length of 16' so I think you'd be fine with that and trimming down eventually.  I can measure my spin sheets but I have to get them out of storage as my boat is still in pieces.  I imagine you're looking at shorter than 64' though.  I'll try to get to it today as I'll be nearby the box with all of the gear in it.

Most boats are going to split sheets now, with the stopper where the pole is at the forestay and 2-3 feet of tail beyond that. Makes setting the length pretty easy. I think each side is 30 feet on mine

9 hours ago, Locus said:

Most boats are going to split sheets now, with the stopper where the pole is at the forestay and 2-3 feet of tail beyond that. Makes setting the length pretty easy. I think each side is 30 feet on mine

Please define "split sheets”?  It sounds like you are using your windward sheet as the guy (“stopper where the pole is at the forestay”).  So the stopper hits the turning block on the tank with the pole all the way forward and the crew has 2-3 feet of tail left to grab in the cockpit.  Are you measuring 30’ plus 2’ or so for the tail (which would total about 32’, or twice the loa) , or 30’ including the tail? (Leaving about 4’ less line on the cockpit floor to slip on.)  My setup with double automatic-retracting poles currently has the sheets separate from the guys. 

Separate sheets and guys. Windward sheet is lazy but the stopper and bungee keeps it out of the water and from around the crews feet when trapping. I can measure later today, but pretty sure the 30' is the total length including a couple inches for a bowline at the clew and a figure 8 at the stopper and sheet tail.

The rational was to prevent the floor line issue and to allow for the crew to hand the old sheet to the skipper in a gybe in front of the mainsheet instead of having to reach around the main sheet. Makes gybing much easier. 

It also made setting the length pretty easy, ran the pole forward set all the knots and leave 2-3 feet at the end. Sailed the boat and trimmed till we were comfortable.

Just measured them. 29'-6" with stopper knots still in. So 30' should be pretty close to the right length. 

That includes length to tie onto the clew, and ~3' of tail to grab after the ratchet block. We sailed this way half of last year trimming a few inches as we went. This seems to be enough to grab before the gybe but leaves the nest off the floor the rest of the time. 

Mine are tapered to the aft turning block (approx) then covered after that. (About 20' of core only)

7 minutes ago, dburchfiel said:

Ok, so I have the typical 2 pole lazy sheet lazy guy system but the sheet is continuous.  As I'm reading this you're saying that the sheet is now 2 separate lines?  I can see how that would help avoid the foot cleat in a jibe.

Yes, just cut it in the middle!

• Like 1
On 5/28/2020 at 1:06 PM, Locus said:

Separate sheets and guys. Windward sheet is lazy but the stopper and bungee keeps it out of the water and from around the crews feet when trapping. I can measure later today, but pretty sure the 30' is the total length including a couple inches for a bowline at the clew and a figure 8 at the stopper and sheet tail.

The rational was to prevent the floor line issue and to allow for the crew to hand the old sheet to the skipper in a gybe in front of the mainsheet instead of having to reach around the main sheet. Makes gybing much easier. 

It also made setting the length pretty easy, ran the pole forward set all the knots and leave 2-3 feet at the end. Sailed the boat and trimmed till we were comfortable.

Do you have a picture of how you have the bungee setup?