Buying in Canada, moving via it's trailer into US, questions.

I think this is the one, had a long discussion with the owner and feel very good about it. Photos are remarkable and current, was refit awhile ago, inventory is extensive including newish sails, price is close enough to negotiate a deal.

In general terms it is a 28' sitting on it's own trailer at the sellers home.

If the we strike a deal and the survey comes back OK the work starts.

I don't think I can even get into Canada right now.

Can the owner haul it down and cross the border to just inside the US, if so what paperwork will he need, bill of sale? Would it be necessary to hire a commercial hauler to move it from Winnipeg to North Dakota where I will pick it up?

What is the process for the trailer?

It's Sunday so nothing is open right now to call and ask, so I thought to start here.

Thanks

Non-essential travel (which would include the sales transaction for a discretionary recreation device!) is restricted between Canada and US until June 21, 2020 for both Americans and Canadians.  It wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's extended another 30 days at that time...  I guess the goods news is that'd give you some time to get your ducks in a row!

I've done it the other way before, but not sure what's required going north-to-south.

Cheers!

Current owner cannot drive boat into US. That would be exporting and comes with a whole batch of other requirements. I think a commercial hauler to move it across the border then, if you can pick it up from the crossing point is your best bet. They might even be able to move the boat across during "border closure" since they are commercial.

• Like 1

Use a customs broker.

I can't stress that too much. It only costs a boat dime or two and can save you untold grief and expense.

I am the voice of experience.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Use a customs broker.

I can't stress that too much. It only costs a boat dime or two and can save you untold grief and expense.

I am the voice of experience.

Suggestions? I have no idea where to start.

Age of boat, age of trailer? The simplest transaction wouldn't have motors or EPA considerations to cope with... but the real complexity may be the trailer upon which the boat resides, unless the trailer was built by a manufacturer to particular USA-friendly specs. 

A related thread: 

The rules for importing CAN boats to the US can be pretty simple. Motor rules are more complicated. VEHICLE import rules can be truly labyrinthine... and the trailer falls under that category.

Do this well and you may have a good deal. Do it poorly and you might find your property stuck in impound indefinitely.

I’ve probably a half dozen or more border crossings in a non purchase situation where the trailer and tow vehicle were both plated in Canada.

As Randii mentions where it gets interesting is when the tow vehicle has different origin plates than the trailer.

Ive done a couple of those, one in a purchase situation and one just re locating the boat(s).

The purchase involved bringing a high ticket (>200k) racing dinghy from California to Ontario. Ontario plates on the tow vehicle and California plates on the trailer. All paperwork in order, used a customs broker, probably spent a half hour at the border at most.

Then there was that other time...we were tasked with bringing a couple of stacked Finn dinghys back from Coconut Grove to Toronto. We started with a Czech built trailer w no plates. We managed to get a home built designation from the Florida DMV and slap some plates on and were away to the races...up until the border that is.

Knowing it was gonna be tricky...sure enough...’Sir you’re gonna have to pull over to secondary.’

I got into secondary, started the back and forth with the customs agent. We went back and forth for 45 minutes or more , I stood my ground though that pretty much amounted to my word that I was bringing the dinghies to their  rightful owner w no paperwork. He had been leaning towards the impound option...I kept saying it wasn’t necessary...between the origin of the trailer, the plates, my stubbornness and the amount of paperwork he was looking at combined with some other emergency that needed his attention in a most timely fashion...he basically said ‘Get lost’, and took off, leaving his more junior officer staring at me.

’Does that mean what I think it means?’

’Yeah get out I’d hear before he changes his mind’

In short, get a broker.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2020 at 5:55 PM, Essex said:

What kind of racing dinghy is > 200k ??

It was a barely used late model Melges 32 in mint condition w brand new sail package and  on its own brand new triple axle trailer. I probably should’ve called it a ‘sports boat’ but they’re so light they just kind of seem like big a big dinghy to me(so my bad for misleading). This would’ve been over 10 years ago when the values were  maybe 2.5x what they are today for this type of offering.

On 6/3/2020 at 6:57 PM, bmiller said:

Well hell, somebody in his yacht club heard about and bought it.

It was exactly what I was looking for.

So.....nevermind

Sorry to hear that. What was it?