G'day all, this is my first post!

Aside from racing around the buoys, I am wondering if any of you have any stories to tell about going places in your dinghy? For example, sailing to a distant shore for the first time, or perhaps you have a favourite river that you like to explore a lot, or perhaps you tack and gybe your way across a waterway to buy breakfast on weekends, or perhaps you like going to an island (uninhabited or otherwise), or maybe you sail somewhere to meet up with a friend or family, or maybe you sail somewhere and camp overnight, or maybe you sail to and from work everyday? Or maybe you only have a small pond in which to sail? Do you go places in your dinghy? What are your favourite places to sail to? 

cheers,

fishnchips

My favorite place to sail is Pymatuning Sailing Club on beautiful lake Pymatuning. There are some uninhabited islands around that club members sail to for a picnic or something like that. Here are some pics of Sundays racing that also show some scenery.

PSCRace-631.jpgPSCRace-553.jpgPSCRace-659.jpgPSCRace-472.jpgPSCRace-080.jpgPSCRace-116.jpgPSCRace-194.jpg

PSCRace-398.jpg

More here at https://www.amorisenyfineart.com/Sailing/June-7-2020/n-sshP2G/i-TzjSc7N

• Like 2

In the 70s through 90sI used to cruise in our GP-14. Once on the Bohemia Creek, the powerboats that anchored for the night were surprised to see us there anchored, too. We didn't need a dinghy to get to the shore, haha.

• Like 2

@Admiral Hornblower Lake Pymatuning looks like an excellent place to sail! Thanks for posting :)  I googled it and dropped the street view pin onto the Hartstown Road bridge and took the liberty of enjoying the view from afar ;)

@fastyacht I love the idea of dinghy camping in a nice spot for the night! I will think about it in the summer when the days are long.

Here is a photo of my local sailing area in Sydney Australia. Lady Robinsons Beach is nice for swimming, kayaking, windsurfing and kite surfing, too. I learnt to sail on Georges River on Lasers, RS Feva, Envy, etc. There are plenty of clubs around here and they sail Lasers, Tasers, Flying Ants, foiling Moths, Optimists, amongst other things. When sailing on Botany Bay, I see a lot of aeroplanes come and go. I took this aerial photo a few years ago when I was flying out of Sydney on a jet.

Do you like to go to places in your dinghy? Keep 'em coming!

Cheers,
fishnchips.

Botany-Bay.jpg

We have sailed our twin wire "skiff" to some other beaches than the one we launched from to get some food during vacation a few times. Lesson learned: If you have to wait for too long for your Schnitzel at a table outside of an restaurant you can get really cold wearing a wet wetsuit, trapeze harness etc. :-)

(Service in a restaurant is slower in Germany than in the U.S. in general, though)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, skslr said:

Lesson learned: If you have to wait for too long for your Schnitzel at a table outside of an restaurant you can get really cold wearing a wet wetsuit, trapeze harness etc. :-)

Yes, I think at times like that, you actually activate memories of being 6 months old with a wet diaper.

• Like 1

Out here in Miami / Biscayne bay, with dinghies and small cats, we sail out to sandbars where people stop their boats to party.

Nixon's sandbar is a favorite. Or we sail to small keys at a decent distance, like Soldier Key or Boca Chita - it's safe because we're in very protected waters.

The small beach along the road on Virginia key has a hot dog and arepas stand. We sometimes stop there for a bite. We'd stop more often but it doesn't serve cold beer.

On the same spot, there's sometimes an ice cream truck, with a distinctive music / chime. When couple years ago, my 8yo son and I would sail towards the chime when we heard it, for a tasty treat.

A lot of people sail around here. They take it too seriously, they won't stop at the beach for a bite or a treat.

• Like 2

When I got posted to the Outer Hebridies , I took my laser with me, between the Islands of Benbecula and South Uist there is a causeway stopping the waves, but not the wind, absolutely great for planing around at high tide.. But pretty boring after a while with no one to play with. Similarly the Military sports club had some Wayfarer dinghies down on Loch Carnan, but they never went out, no one else interested..

Earlier Posted to RAF Staxton Wold, they had a Mirror Dinghy down on the North Sea, went out a few times with a friend, nothing much to see.. The nudist beach was always unoccupied , the North Sea is too darned cold..

Later working down in the Falklands as a civilian, I got to use the Military sailing club there on Gull Island Pond, at first they would only let me use an old battered laser. Once they realised I could sail, I was asked to rig up a Brand new Wayfarer Dinghy and give it a try..

Flat water sheltered by the ground but again good wind I had it plaining up and down single handed. On the second trip out in it they had a beginners windsurfer course on, I ended up towing a couple back from the far end, behind the Wayfarer...

A few years Later again in Saudi the second day after arriving, I was down at the sailing club, and I thought,... I know that Boat.. Yep Chris Jeckells (as in Jeckells sails) old Wayfarer, called Gandalf still with a Norfolk Broads Tax Disk on it.. I used to race against him occasionally on the Norfolk Broads (I lost of course).

• Like 1