Black Lives Matter

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Any fair minded reader can see that the subject most want to shift the focus of this thread to, is me.

To put us back on track let me propose that if black lives really mattered to BLM...

They would protest both police brutality and black on black crime.

They would support allowing urban black students to attend schools that would actually educate them.

They would not incite the destruction of black businesses and communities.

They would stand against illegal immigration that suppresses wages and domestic employment.

They would encourage intact black families and behaviors that lead to success, they would discourage behaviors that lead to failure, poverty and worse.

They would support law enforcement including positive reforms not try to defund or abolish it.

Lotsa white lefties seem to want the blacks to carry their water.

It's only proper.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to the police report the statue slipped and fell into the river.

LOL...really...LOL...one of the lefts favorite rants is against privatized prisons...

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

It's fake that violent crime is up in cities since the BLM protests?  

Don't tell me you don't know how to figure out which noun an adjective modifies in a sentence. Did I say a single thing about crime in that post? 

24 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The BLM bunch is having a field day in my little city. It’s going to be a little embarrassing when they realize the cop who pulled the trigger is black. He’s a good cop too. 

What incident are you talking about??

3 hours ago, Dog said:

They would support law enforcement including positive reforms not try to defund or abolish it. 

A better label than "defund" might be "de-militarize" 

De-militarization of the police really needs to happen. 

Police militarization fails to protect officers and targets black ...

This shows what happens all too often with militarized police . .  (interesting time lapse video too) 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/26/opinion/blm-protests-police-violence.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage&fbclid=IwAR3vtyUZxjpKkz9OXrwkhRWtqTu-XbQ0RjYynLPslO8DDdoc3xX2o3_Ze58

• Like 1

And the usual suspects continue to state that any and all increase in crime is attributed to BLM. But they aren't racists. Now can we get back to how the BLM is raking it in? Did they get a contract to rake the national forests? Am I going out on a limb here? 

• Like 1

Speaking of a BLM incident, when do the BLM protests for this incident of po-leece brutality start?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/miami-dade-police-officer-struck-woman-airport/index.html

"You acting like you Black," Anderson says to Rodriguez, before apparently correcting herself: "You acting like you White when you're really Black." 

It's unclear why she mentions race. She is Black. Details about Rodriguez's race weren't immediately released.

Officers had to forcibly grab her hair and keep her face pointing forward to prevent her from spitting on them, the affidavit says.

POC on POC violence apparently is not terribly protest worthy.

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

And the usual suspects continue to state that any and all increase in crime is attributed to BLM. But they aren't racists.

That's not true.  No one has said that.

1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

That's not true.  No one has said that.

You might want to check with Dog. And nice going finding one incident to post about. Guess what? There are some real assholes in the BLM, just like there are here.

It never ends.

4 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

A better label than "defund" might be "de-militarize" 

De-militarization of the police really needs to happen. 

I have said that many times (de-militarize rather than defund) but been corrected by the elk like rzer that defund is the correct term and they can use any word they want.  Sure they can, but words have meaning and consequences.  Just ask Jim Clyburn and his 
"Burn Baby Burn" cohorts how that worked out for them back in the 60s.  

Boy howdy, that phrase "defund the police" sure does seem to make rightie heads explode.

If only there were a black celebrity who was as greedy & stupid & as big an attention whore as Trump, he or she could ride this wave to the top! Maybe not make it all the way to the Presidency, but if he (or she) could keep the hits coming on these offensive phrases, they could revive a flagging media career as the darling of the intellectual Left!

- DSK

Just now, d'ranger said:

And nice going finding one incident to post about.

I didn't find it.  I heard it on NPR yesterday on my commute.  It's not getting a lot of air time so far though.  

I didn't find it.  I heard it on NPR yesterday on my commute.  It's not getting a lot of air time so far though.  

I didn't realize that CNN was posting here with your ID. Is there a point? She was arrested and he is terminated. Is this a BLM issue or you just doing a Dog?

20 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

What incident are you talking about??

Just google black man shot in Sheboygan, WI. That should fill you in. I’ve already been deposed. (I’ve been arrested by the cop involved.

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

I didn't realize that CNN was posting here with your ID. Is there a point? She was arrested and he is terminated. Is this a BLM issue or you just doing a Dog?

Yes, it is a BLM issue because had that been a white officer who slapped a black woman exhibiting her behavior - there would have been huge outrage even despite being fired. 

I personally don't think the POC (Po-leece man of Color) should have been fired.  One of the LEO training experts that NPR interviewed yesterday said the open handed slap is a valuable and approved tool as a diversion if the subject is getting aggressive and making physical contact, like her head butt.  I think an investigation to see if the slap went too far was in order, but a summary firing in this case was/is BS.  

48 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The BLM bunch is having a field day in my little city. It’s going to be a little embarrassing when they realize the cop who pulled the trigger is black. He’s a good cop too. 

BLM is not focused on police brutality by white cops.  They are focused on police brutality.  Sorry for your confusion.  But, not really.

2 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Just google black man shot in Sheboygan, WI. That should fill you in. I’ve already been deposed. (I’ve been arrested by the cop involved.

Interesting. 

https://abc7chicago.com/sheboygan-police-shooting-today-kevan-ruffin-wi/6294798/

Sheboygan shooting: Wisconsin officer shoots, kills Black man brandishing knives

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. -- A Wisconsin police officer shot and killed a Black man on Thursday after the man allegedly chased a woman with a pair of knives, though the man's family said police knew he had psychiatric issues and that they don't think he would have been killed if he wasn't Black.

The Sheboygan man's family identified him as 32-year-old Kevan Ruffin, Sheboygan Press Media reported

Christopher Domagalski, the police chief of the city north of Milwaukee along Lake Michigan, said that the county dispatch center got a call around 5:50 a.m. about a man armed with a pair of three-pronged martial arts knives running at a woman in the street.

The responding officer tried to talk to Ruffin from across the street, but Ruffin went after him with his knives, Domagalski said. The officer tried to use his stun gun on Ruffin but was forced to shoot him with his service weapon, he said.

Authorities have not released the officer's name or race.

Typical cunt media..... they have to make a point of the victims race but if the officer had been white - the headlines would have been:  "White officer guns down black man for no reason".

1 minute ago, Bus Driver said:

BLM is not focused on police brutality by white cops.  They are focused on police brutality.  Sorry for your confusion.  But, not really.

But they're NOT focused on just police brutality that doesn't involve a white cop.  As evadent.  

Just now, Bus Driver said:

Actually, the confusion is on them. They bussed in people from all over the state last night. Kind of sad. 

Just now, Monkey said:
3 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Actually, the confusion is on them. They bussed in people from all over the state last night. Kind of sad. 

And there is NO possible way any reporter worth a shit is not going to be able to get the skin color of the cop by now and report on it.  It was a black cop, so no real story here.

7 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Interesting. 

https://abc7chicago.com/sheboygan-police-shooting-today-kevan-ruffin-wi/6294798/

Sheboygan shooting: Wisconsin officer shoots, kills Black man brandishing knives

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. -- A Wisconsin police officer shot and killed a Black man on Thursday after the man allegedly chased a woman with a pair of knives, though the man's family said police knew he had psychiatric issues and that they don't think he would have been killed if he wasn't Black.

The Sheboygan man's family identified him as 32-year-old Kevan Ruffin, Sheboygan Press Media reported

Christopher Domagalski, the police chief of the city north of Milwaukee along Lake Michigan, said that the county dispatch center got a call around 5:50 a.m. about a man armed with a pair of three-pronged martial arts knives running at a woman in the street.

The responding officer tried to talk to Ruffin from across the street, but Ruffin went after him with his knives, Domagalski said. The officer tried to use his stun gun on Ruffin but was forced to shoot him with his service weapon, he said.

Authorities have not released the officer's name or race.

Typical cunt media..... they have to make a point of the victims race but if the officer had been white - the headlines would have been:  "White officer guns down black man for no reason".

There are loads of examples in which white criminals are taken into custody without incident.  Google "Dylan Roof", if you need a good one.

If Dylan had been black and murdered 9 white folks in a church, I seriously doubt the police would've gotten him a Burger King meal on the way to the precinct.

Interesting. 

The police haven’t released the police officer’s identity, but he’s an incredibly nice guy, but also happens to be black. I can’t wait to see how the press spins it. 

10 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

And there is NO possible way any reporter worth a shit is not going to be able to get the skin color of the cop by now and report on it.  It was a black cop, so no real story here.

Story, yes.  Outrage, no. 

Let's see if you can figure out why.

An interesting dilemma:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/07/02/students-faculty-ask-washington-lee-change-its-name/

They want to remove Lee from the Washington and Lee University.  But keeping the slave owner Washington is ok.

How exactly does that work?

I'm ALL for removing racists symbols and names from our history.  Why stop at just confederate names.  Lot's venerated folks in our nation's history were virulent racists and bigots.  Woodrow Wilson is one.  Washington and Jefferson were both slave owners.  Let's erase them all and be done with it if that's what gets us to finally heal.

7 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

An interesting dilemma:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/07/02/students-faculty-ask-washington-lee-change-its-name/

They want to remove Lee from the Washington and Lee University.  But keeping the slave owner Washington is ok.

I'm ALL for removing racists symbols and names from our history.  Why stop at just confederate names.  Lot's venerated folks in our nation's history were virulent racists and bigots.  Woodrow Wilson is one.  Washington and Jefferson were both slave owners.  Let's erase them all and be done with it if that's what gets us to finally heal.

Stop after removing confederate names because they were traitors in an armed uprising against our country and others were not. 

7 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Stop after removing confederate names because they were traitors in an armed uprising against our country and others were not. 

So Columbus and Woodrow Wilson are OK?

6 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

So Columbus and Woodrow Wilson are OK?

With me, yeah, but that’s the rub. Other people don’t have to share my opinion, and I can treat them with decency and dignity whether or not they do. Isn’t that what BLM is getting at, basic common decency and dignity? Treating people with dignity isn’t a zero sum game. It’s not a piece of pie. I don’t have to give up mine in order to allow someone else theirs. In fact, the best way to lose one’s dignity and decency is to deprive someone else of theirs. Folks who do that have none of their own.

So if someone else feels strongly about it, and would feel better if those symbols were removed, what do I care? I came into this world at a time when minorities had supposedly just been given their rights, but still had to fight against people trying to hoard their pie. Before I leave it I would like to reach a point where we as a society never again have to ask whether entire groups of people matter. If that means that we have to tear down some statues oh well, I’ll just be here enjoying my pie. 

Remarkable bad faith being shown here by those 

who deny that racism or police abuse of minorities 

are even "things". 

And they wonder why we call them the "Reich". 

Racism, in case you do not know, was a central pillar of Nazi "thought" - such as it was. 

So I changed my mind - @Dog is going back on the Reichista list. 

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

Remarkable bad faith being shown here by those 

who deny that racism or police abuse of minorities 

are even "things". 

And they wonder why we call them the "Reich". 

Name one reasonable person here who denies those are "things".  B2 and joker don't count.  :lol:

11 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Name one reasonable person here who denies those are "things".  B2 and joker don't count.  :lol:

V. Green

The older teenager couldn't go to the BLM protest, so the younger teenager settled on her old man. Easily a couple thousand people, we marched to the Aurora Police station that was close to where Elijah McClain was killed, then surrounded all the entrances in and out. The police went inside and buttoned up with their coffee machines, comfy chairs and internet. Then the folks outside eventually got tired of yelling "fuck the police" and "why you wearing riot gear?" so most everyone sat down on the streets for a few hours, saved the dwindling batteries in their phones and repeated Elijah's last words for another few hours. That drone of big crowds protesting, like being in the womb.

I finally had to leave to take care of my 9 year old, but the sit-in was replenished as we left, they're supposedly going to stay and block all entrances until all three officers are fired. The teenagers are going back tomorrow with their friends, no pasaran.

Interesting times. Everyone stayed masked, it seems these kids are remarkably obedient with the masks. I learned a long time ago that sitting on a street for hours and days tends to give young people an odd kind of superpower. 

But these kids with their phones, they didn't think to bring hip-pocket paperback books, the kind of street sitting material that needs no batteries. I put in days with a couple paperbacks, a pack of cigarettes, and a canteen of water back in the days of Amadou Diallo. It can't be easy to last days without paperbacks. Maybe I can buy a stack from the Goodwill for them.

But I've found from past experience that once the thousands dwindle to hundreds after a day or two, and then to scores, that entrances are consolidated, and lockdowns end.

These Gen-Zs seem to understand that racism is an epidemic that doesn't burn itself out like viruses. Or at least, I remembered sitting on a similarly textured street for Amadou as a I did a lifetime later for and a lifetime later for Elihah ... not much seems to have changed.

12 hours ago, Burning Man said:

On 9/27/2019 at 1:11 AM, V. Green said:

I have not witnessed racism in person from police officers. I have heard it accused many times from suspects, but I can't think of a single example where the persons race had any effect on the situation.

Oklahoma Police Chief Resigns Over Neo-Nazi Ties, Gets Job in Neighboring Police Force

Bart Alsbrook resigned last year after local media outed him as the former leader of a neo-Nazi group. Now he has a new job—in the police force of a nearby town.

16 hours ago, d'ranger said:

You might want to check with Dog. And nice going finding one incident to post about. Guess what? There are some real assholes in the BLM, just like there are here.

It never ends.

I don't believe I said any and all increase in crime is attributable to BLM. I certainly don't believe that.

17 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Why is it not legitimate to question the legitimacy of a poster's outrage when it is obvious it is fake?  Doesn't that bear on a poster's message?

Projection.

18 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

(#1) BLM has a specific mission - police brutality visited upon black bodies.  There are plenty of other organizations dedicated to addressing other issues facing the black community.   Why do you feel entitled to dismiss them because they don't conform to your expectations?

(#2) See #1.

(#3) See #1.

(#4) See #1.

(#5) See #1.

(#6) See #1.

BLM is keeping their mission specific and distinct.  It doesn't matter whether you approve of that, or not. 

My point exactly...BLM's mission is anti police, not pro black.

The tiny nation of CHAZ is no more having been annexed by forces from the USA. It was established by Antifa and BLM affiliated activists as a police free state to insure its black citizens protection for the brutality of the American police. In that it succeeded, no black Chazistani ever suffered from police brutality but they did experience a homicide rate 50 times greater than Chicago. And now the bourgeois radicals are back at Starbucks sipping their lattes after having experienced a preview of life without law enforcement and probably having learned nothing.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

The tiny nation of CHAZ is no more having been annexed by forces from the USA. It was established by Antifa and BLM affiliated activists as a police free state to insure its black citizens protection for the brutality of the American police. In that it succeeded, no black Chazistani ever suffered from police brutality but they did experience a homicide rate 50 times greater than Chicago. And now the bourgeois radicals are back at Starbucks sipping their lattes after having experienced a preview of life without law enforcement and probably having learned nothing.

We know (but you do not, apparently) that a goodly portion of the violence around the protests is being committed 

by the far Reich and/or agents of various security forces. 

Only a bad faith Reichista would refuse to acknowledge this. 

Stop watching Reich Wing media - it is making you crazy. 

3 hours ago, Dog said:

My point exactly...BLM's mission is anti police, not pro black.

Being opposed to police brutality is not the same thing as being “anti-police”. 

I believe you know that, but just want to be a jerk. 

7 hours ago, astro said:
18 hours ago, Burning Man said:

V. Green

Really??  Cite that then.  Twat.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Being opposed to police brutality is not the same thing as being “anti-police”. 

I believe you know that, but just want to be a jerk. 

Advocating defunding/abolishing the police is anti-police.

6 hours ago, mikewof said:
7 hours ago, astro said:

V. Green

Geez asshole, fuck off. Vernon is a good guy. Better than you by a longsight.

Zactly!

20 minutes ago, Dog said:

Please provide a cite in which BLM is "advocating defunding/abolishing the police".

You can start here - Black Lives Matter

About

#BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives.

We are expansive. We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.

We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.

We are working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically targeted for demise.

We affirm our humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

The call for Black lives to matter is a rallying cry for ALL Black lives striving for liberation.

What We Believe

Four years ago, what is now known as the Black Lives Matter Global Network began to organize. It started out as a chapter-based, member-led organization whose mission was to build local power and to intervene when violence was inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.

In the years since, we’ve committed to struggling together and to imagining and creating a world free of anti-Blackness, where every Black person has the social, economic, and political power to thrive.

Black Lives Matter began as a call to action in response to state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism. Our intention from the very beginning was to connect Black people from all over the world who have a shared desire for justice to act together in their communities. The impetus for that commitment was, and still is, the rampant and deliberate violence inflicted on us by the state.

Enraged by the death of Trayvon Martin and the subsequent acquittal of his killer, George Zimmerman, and inspired by the 31-day takeover of the Florida State Capitol by POWER U and the Dream Defenders, we took to the streets. A year later, we set out together on the Black Lives Matter Freedom Ride to Ferguson, in search of justice for Mike Brown and all of those who have been torn apart by state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism. Forever changed, we returned home and began building the infrastructure for the Black Lives Matter Global Network, which, even in its infancy, has become a political home for many.

Ferguson helped to catalyze a movement to which we’ve all helped give life. Organizers who call this network home have ousted anti-Black politicians, won critical legislation to benefit Black lives, and changed the terms of the debate on Blackness around the world. Through movement and relationship building, we have also helped catalyze other movements and shifted culture with an eye toward the dangerous impacts of anti-Blackness.

These are the results of our collective efforts.

The Black Lives Matter Global Network is as powerful as it is because of our membership, our partners, our supporters, our staff, and you. Our continued commitment to liberation for all Black people means we are continuing the work of our ancestors and fighting for our collective freedom because it is our duty.

Every day, we recommit to healing ourselves and each other, and to co-creating alongside comrades, allies, and family a culture where each person feels seen, heard, and supported.

We acknowledge, respect, and celebrate differences and commonalities.

We work vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension, all people.

We intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting.

We are unapologetically Black in our positioning. In affirming that Black Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a prerequisite for wanting the same for others.

We see ourselves as part of the global Black family, and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black people who exist in different parts of the world.

We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).

We cultivate an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, show up with the capacity to lead and learn.

We embody and practice justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another.

22 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Spot on. Other than a small crowd marching around every night, the story has already faded away. On the plus side, the police are being very thorough on the investigation. I’ve already been interviewed on my experience in dealing with the officer involved. I’m pretty sure he’ll be cleared. 

7 hours ago, mikewof said:

Geez asshole, fuck off. Vernon is a good guy. Better than you by a longsight.

LOL... for a second I mis-read "Vernon" as "Venom", and I was like  -  "wait, what?!? No fucking way..." 

22 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Just like the story of Justine Damond's shooting got dropped when it was revealed the cop was black?

Oh, wait...

Or maybe, just maybe, you know, the story has no legs because Crazy Guy had two knives and was running at the cop.

26 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Just like the story of Justine Damond's shooting got dropped when it was revealed the cop was black?

Oh, wait...

Or maybe, just maybe, you know, the story has no legs because Crazy Guy had two knives and was running at the cop.

African-American, Please!  The story has no legs because it was a black cop that did the shootin'.  Had it been a white cop who shot the CRAZY GUY with two knives running at the cop - the headlines would have read:  RACIST WHITE COP GUNS DOWN INNOCENT BLACK MAN JUST TRYING TO GET HELP WITH HIS COOKING KNIVES!!!!

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

Oh, wait...

The perceived innocence of the victim matters. Elijah's innocence is so entrenched that I noticed the BLM and Antifa folks let their own methods take a backseat to Elijah's friends and family.

One of the (actual, not sailing) anarchists at yesterday's demo mentioned that the Elijah demonstrations are growing by a few hundred people each day, less interest in BLM or Antifa than in Elijah. But the Antifa and BLM professional organizers really kept things tight. They kept the crowd from getting too angry, made sure that nobody shook the fences, they organized water distribution, trash pickup.

3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Yeah, I made the bla bla bla club. Now on to BLM raking it in.

"For all its talk of being a street uprising, Black Lives Matter is increasingly awash in cash, raking in pledges of more than $100 million from liberal foundations and others eager to contribute to what has become the grant-making cause du jour".

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/16/black-lives-matter-cashes-100-million-liberal-foun/

Now, how about you show where I said anything remotely like "any and all increase in crime is attributed to BLM". 

3 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Please provide a cite in which BLM is "advocating defunding/abolishing the police".

You can start here - Black Lives Matter

About

#BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives.

We are expansive. We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.

We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.

We are working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically targeted for demise.

We affirm our humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

The call for Black lives to matter is a rallying cry for ALL Black lives striving for liberation.

What We Believe

Four years ago, what is now known as the Black Lives Matter Global Network began to organize. It started out as a chapter-based, member-led organization whose mission was to build local power and to intervene when violence was inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.

In the years since, we’ve committed to struggling together and to imagining and creating a world free of anti-Blackness, where every Black person has the social, economic, and political power to thrive.

Black Lives Matter began as a call to action in response to state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism. Our intention from the very beginning was to connect Black people from all over the world who have a shared desire for justice to act together in their communities. The impetus for that commitment was, and still is, the rampant and deliberate violence inflicted on us by the state.

Enraged by the death of Trayvon Martin and the subsequent acquittal of his killer, George Zimmerman, and inspired by the 31-day takeover of the Florida State Capitol by POWER U and the Dream Defenders, we took to the streets. A year later, we set out together on the Black Lives Matter Freedom Ride to Ferguson, in search of justice for Mike Brown and all of those who have been torn apart by state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism. Forever changed, we returned home and began building the infrastructure for the Black Lives Matter Global Network, which, even in its infancy, has become a political home for many.

Ferguson helped to catalyze a movement to which we’ve all helped give life. Organizers who call this network home have ousted anti-Black politicians, won critical legislation to benefit Black lives, and changed the terms of the debate on Blackness around the world. Through movement and relationship building, we have also helped catalyze other movements and shifted culture with an eye toward the dangerous impacts of anti-Blackness.

These are the results of our collective efforts.

The Black Lives Matter Global Network is as powerful as it is because of our membership, our partners, our supporters, our staff, and you. Our continued commitment to liberation for all Black people means we are continuing the work of our ancestors and fighting for our collective freedom because it is our duty.

Every day, we recommit to healing ourselves and each other, and to co-creating alongside comrades, allies, and family a culture where each person feels seen, heard, and supported.

We acknowledge, respect, and celebrate differences and commonalities.

We work vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension, all people.

We intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting.

We are unapologetically Black in our positioning. In affirming that Black Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a prerequisite for wanting the same for others.

We see ourselves as part of the global Black family, and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black people who exist in different parts of the world.

We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).

We cultivate an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, show up with the capacity to lead and learn.

We embody and practice justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another.

https://blacklivesmatter.com/defundthepolice/

20 minutes ago, Dog said:

Thank you.  I had not see that, and can't find it if I go to their homepage.

Since that is part of their plan (not their mission), let's examine it.

We call for an end to the systemic racism that allows this culture of corruption to go unchecked and our lives to be taken.

We call for a national defunding of police. We demand investment in our communities and the resources to ensure Black people not only survive, but thrive. If you’re with us, add your name to the petition right now and help us spread the word.

I think it wise to allocate money to professionals better trained to deal with homelessness, drug addiction, mental health issues, and the like.

Oh, hell.  Why not hear it straight from her mouth?

Black Lives Matter co-founder explains "Defund the police" slogan

Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that growing calls to "defund the police" are not about eliminating police departments, but about reinvesting funds toward "the resources that our communities need."

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Really??  Cite that then.  Twat.

Already did upthread, but you have some reading issues, or denial.

V. Green, policing in one of the racial hotspots, can't see anything.  Baseless acusations ... apparently.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=210923&content_commentid=6737736

"I have not witnessed racism in person from police officers. I have heard it accused many times from suspects, but I can't think of a single example where the persons race had any effect on the situation. I have had calling parties be extremely racist, but it doesn't change the officers actions."

The goes your story.  But it;s predictable that Vernon would hold that line.  That what all the cops say.

On 7/1/2020 at 5:15 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Exactly, household income rules and the correlation with academic achievement is near 1.

And what rules household income?

55 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

We call for an end to the systemic racism that allows this culture of corruption to go unchecked and our lives to be taken.

We call for a national defunding of police. We demand investment in our communities and the resources to ensure Black people not only survive, but thrive. If you’re with us, add your name to the petition right now and help us spread the word.

I think it wise to allocate money to professionals better trained to deal with homelessness, drug addiction, mental health issues, and the like.

Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that growing calls to "defund the police" are not about eliminating police departments, but about reinvesting funds toward "the resources that our communities need."

Those resources include fathers in the home,  emphasis on education within the family and community, and decent jobs. 

16 minutes ago, Rok Dog said:

Is the Detroit Police Chief Craig racist?  63% of officers are black, 33% white.  

I'm sure they would say exactly the same thing as V. Green.

Nothing to see here!

847eed2503bf544f997b97a76a573cde.gif

1 hour ago, Rok Dog said:

Is the Detroit Police Chief Craig racist?  63% of officers are black, 33% white.  

That ratio is actually really good, because Detroit is about 80% Black. And it potentially speaks to that police department's efforts to fix the problem of institutional racism.

But the Police Chief, regardless how wonderful a person he is in real life, has still been subjected to a fundamentally racist system, of which there is no way he can overcome, regardless his personal integrity or hard work.

Specifically, The People (taxpayers) both employ the police and act as both defense and prosecution of those police employees that potentially break the law. The conflict-of-interest is inherently, institutionally racist.

Look at the conundrum ... we tell the cop "you fucker, you killed that person for no good reason." and before the cop even responds to us, we have to acknowledge these things ...

1. We trained the cop,
  2. We accept some level of professional responsibility for the cop,
  3. We will prosecute the cop,
  4. We will defend the cop,
  5. We will maintain our contractual obligations to the cop with retirement, healthcare, etc..

So now, who is the victim of that one particular form of institutional racism?

1. The innocent person who was shot and killed for no reason,
  2. The family of that person killed by the police,
  3. The taxpayers, who will ultimately pay the family restitution,
  4. The police officer, who now lost his or her job, has to deal with the PTSD of murdering someone,
  5. The police department, who has to find ways of achieving their community objectives with officers doing jobs for which they weren't trained,
  6. The prosecution, who knows it essentially impossible to prosecute a police officer successfully if they have followed protocol,
  7. The defense, because that person has been shoved into the uneviable position of trying to get a killer-cop absolved,
  8. We The People are the single largest victim because we cannot live with justice, nor domestic tranquility, nor secure our blessings of liberty.

My point here is that it doesn't matter who is racist, who is racist as fuck, who is hardly racist at all. It doesn't matter at this moment. If the we can do the teamwork to make the dream work, we can solve this problem and eliminate that form of institutional racism. The People can't be presented with this conflict of interest and expect to be able to find our way clear. It will always end badly for all involved, save perhaps a handful of nutcakes who want society to collapse so they can use their survival gear and plan another genocide.

This left-right bullshit has to be put onto the shelf to solve this problem. There will be outside agitators who try to fuck it up for us. Some of them will be drunk of Bundaberg in a stylish home in Australia. Some will be our neighbors. But we have to solve this problem, because a fucking storm is on the horizon with this bullshit. It keeps getting closer, because we haven't solved this problem. This is what Philip Wylie wrote about it back when the grandchildren of slaves and immigrants were being tortured in the streets even as WWII raged  ...

The ability of plain, ordinary, self-respecting, controlled, godly, decent, patriotic, home-loving men and women to turn, suddenly, into fiends of hell -- killing one another without remorse, dragging live people through the streets behind automobiles, cutting off their testes and making them victims eat them and then burning them to death -- this quantum, which may be commonly observed in many a town or city in the U.S.A. in this year of grace, should make economists think a thousand times, and sociologists a hundred thousand, before they spend any precious energy laying out collectivist plans for the future happiness, or abundance, or what not, of humanity.

We have to fix this problem, because the victims of this racist insanity will not stay victims. If this problem isn't fixed, the those few tens of millions of the eight categories above, they find a way to stop the insanity for a moment, and then they will stumble into a way to make it much worse. Because revolution is always a few thousand percent messier than evolution. And then it be like Jello Biafra wrote ...

As the veneer of democracy fades away, as the worlds downsize until it explodes, as the shanty towns piled behind the malls become visible, as the savages on other side of the wall break through, as everybody from gun crazy militias to anti-immigrant Nazi’s, to fundamentalists child raping Christians, to gangsta rapers, to community activists, to working families just struggling to put food on the table, all mad at the same thing: your SUV; me, me, me; “mission accomplished,” bring em on; buy more stuff, buy more stuff, fight terror, defend freedom so we can buy more stuff, The false illusion of the world is going down, motherfucker.

The false illusion of the world is going down, motherfuckers. If reject what I write here, then find another way to solve the problem. I hope you're successful. If your idea is any good, I'll help you with it. But if you accept what I wrote, then I only know of one way to disconnect the fundamental conflict of interest that is responsible for this institutional racism, in a way that property owners might accept, that police officers, deputies and troopers might accept, that victims might accept, that police departments might accept, fuck, even the judges might accept it. We have to disconnect the fundamental conflict-of-interest between being a single population that hires, trains, assigns, supervises, prosecutes and defends these heavily armed employees.

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

African-American, Please!  The story has no legs because it was a black cop that did the shootin'.  Had it been a white cop who shot the CRAZY GUY with two knives running at the cop - the headlines would have read:  RACIST WHITE COP GUNS DOWN INNOCENT BLACK MAN JUST TRYING TO GET HELP WITH HIS COOKING KNIVES!!!!

IMAGINE!!

I've got a better idea.  Let's find a similar scenario to your hypothetical.  

On may 7th, or 8th (not sure: sources differ) a knife-wielding black man got shot by a white cop, in Silver Springs, Maryland.  

Finan Berhe. 

Google him if you want to.  You'll need to, since he sure AF didn't make national news. 

Anyways, there was a protest.  On the 24th.  Here's what it looked like:

pjimage-9-2.jpg

Image-1-378x504.jpeg

Yes, it's a small, mostly-white suburb.  But...

The very next day, Drek Chauvin kneeled on George Floyd's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds. 

And the same town turned out this crowd:

060820_0608.news_.BLMSilverSpringProtest

Let me know if you're done embarrassing yourself yet.

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

So what?

Who is going to defund the police? Police departments tend to control some level of the jails, and when property owners take money away from the police, then the police let burglars and hooligans out of jail.

If the "resources that our communities need" are controlled by the police, like Police Athletic League and such, fine, they might have their way. But nobody has yet find a way to take money away from heavily armed employees and put it into other areas. Whatever money the police have now, they're going to have to keep. We might keep from giving them a raise, maybe they can work with the community to makes places safer so they can hire fewer employees and give themselves raises that way. I don't know, don't care. But defunding the police is unlikely to work in the long run in any place where police departments are funded primarily by property taxes. And suburban police departments are where the worse of these problems of police brutality exists now.

3 hours ago, Dog said:

"For all its talk of being a street uprising, Black Lives Matter is increasingly awash in cash, raking in pledges of more than $100 million from liberal foundations and others eager to contribute to what has become the grant-making cause du jour".

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/16/black-lives-matter-cashes-100-million-liberal-foun/

Now, how about you show where I said anything remotely like "any and all increase in crime is attributed to BLM". 

It's a street uprising.

They may have put some money into political stuff, lobbying, and doing what every other political organization does when they get legit and buy office chairs and a microwave oven for the kitchen. But the uprising, it's the street, there is something incredible about streets, it's a place populated by several ton machines that can move at remarkable speeds and carry enormous amounts of kinetic energy. When a bunch of soft-bodied machines inhabit a street without fear of the hard-body machines, they'll win, eventually.

10 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It's a street uprising.

They may have put some money into political stuff, lobbying, and doing what every other political organization does when they get legit and buy office chairs and a microwave oven for the kitchen. But the uprising, it's the street, there is something incredible about streets, it's a place populated by several ton machines that can move at remarkable speeds and carry enormous amounts of kinetic energy. When a bunch of soft-bodied machines inhabit a street without fear of the hard-body machines, they'll win, eventually.

Not in Detroit.

On 7/4/2020 at 6:11 AM, Burning Man said:

An interesting dilemma:

Why do you KEEP insisting that this complex issue is black and white?

The questions you should be asking are

WHY statues are erected?

in what context are they erected?

who paid for the statue?

who is responsible for the placement?

Does the statues have artistic merit?

Does the subject hold a respected place in history or culture at all or overall in the context of revisionist history?

( and no, revisionist history is not a PC term for rewriting history to fit a politically correct agenda)

8 hours ago, Dog said:

How so? Do you think police like being called out to a homeless guy shitting on the sidewalk? A panhandler interrupting traffic? A drug addict passed out in a doorway?

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

WHY statues are erected?

who paid for the statue?

Does the subject hold a respected place in history or culture at all or overall in the context of revisionist history?

( and no, revisionist history is not a PC term for rewriting history to fit a politically correct agenda)

He can only hold binary thoughts in his brain. Subtlety and myriad answers to a question was trained out of him.

well, maybe he never was good at shade of grey. His women complain about that all the time.

Not really, Some people are simply incapable of understanding context.

eg

Would a state of Frederick Douglas be appropriate outside an Ice Skating rink? Probably not.

Would a statue of Robert Lee be appropriate outside a military school of tacticians (if there is such a thing) Probably

Would a Statue of Karl Marx be appropriate outside an orphanage? absolutely not.

Robert E. Lee was a traitor. He does not deserve any honor in this nation.

16 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

He was also by all accounts a brilliant tactician.

Tolstoy raped underage serfs on his estates.

IMHO it's what a person was primarily famous for that determines whether and where  they should be immortalized.

Lee is difficult but you see my point?

Removing a statue doesn't change history, its just stops shoving it directly into peoples faces,  the same people that might be offended by the actions of the person. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rok Dog said:

Not in Detroit.

I haven't been to Detroit in years, but you're suggesting that there is no social inequity and poverty to protest in Detroit and it's just a political ploy by yet another band of political ne'er do well power grabbers who aren't interested in change and just want the money?

5074716_300x300

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Removing a statue doesn't change history, its just stops shoving it directly into peoples faces,  the same people that might be offended by the actions of the person. 

Removing a statue concentration camp doesn't change history, its just stops shoving it directly into peoples faces,  the same people that might be offended by the actions of the person regime.

What's the difference? https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/arts/international/at-auschwitz-birkenau-preserving-a-site-and-a-ghastly-inventory.html

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Do you honor him? I don't honor him. I don't know anyone who honors him.

There are millions of Americans who won't honor George Washington for his eager willingness to enslave his fellow Americans. Ditto with Jefferson, Madison, Jackson, Harrison, Tyler. Why do we honor these people?  Hell, even Ulysses Grant enslaved a fellow American.

Personally, I don't honor Jefferson or Washington, however I do honor their work.

So how do you propose we go about this? Remove their photos from the money, take down their paintings from public buildings, remove statuary with their likenesses and names? How much history to we have to destroy before we are satisfied that we no longer "honor" them?

4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

WHY statues are erected?

who paid for the statue?

He's suggesting the issue is complicated by mentioning the opportunity to purge all or country's history (not your country, that's your business, not our business) of anyone who some or many people might find offensive.

He's pointing out the complexity of the problem, not suggesting it is "black and white." Perhaps you should reread?

8 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Do you honor him? I don't honor him. I don't know anyone who honors him.

There are millions of Americans who won't honor George Washington for his eager willingness to enslave his fellow Americans. Ditto with Jefferson, Madison, Jackson, Harrison, Tyler. Why do we honor these people?  Hell, even Ulysses Grant enslaved a fellow American.

Personally, I don't honor Jefferson or Washington, however I do honor their work.

So how do you propose we go about this? Remove their photos from the money, take down their paintings from public buildings, remove statuary with their likenesses and names? How much history to we have to destroy before we are satisfied that we no longer "honor" them?

At least he knew when to quit.  That’s something...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, astro said:

Already did upthread, but you have some reading issues, or denial.

V. Green, policing in one of the racial hotspots, can't see anything.  Baseless acusations ... apparently.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=210923&content_commentid=6737736

"I have not witnessed racism in person from police officers. I have heard it accused many times from suspects, but I can't think of a single example where the persons race had any effect on the situation. I have had calling parties be extremely racist, but it doesn't change the officers actions."

The goes your story.  But it;s predictable that Vernon would hold that line.  That what all the cops say.

That's BS.  Of all people I respect here, it's VG.  You would pretty much be at the bottom of the list of people I would believe.  I think it's fully plausible what he says is 100% true.  A victim playing the race card does not make it racism.  

12 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Removing a statue concentration camp doesn't change history, its just stops shoving it directly into peoples faces,  the same people that might be offended by the actions of the person regime.

What's the difference? https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/arts/international/at-auschwitz-birkenau-preserving-a-site-and-a-ghastly-inventory.html

I understand you don't get it, but its ok.

Oh, and, I've been to Dachau.

12 minutes ago, Keith said:

Okay, in your opinion I "don't get it." And you've been to Dachua. So what's the difference between these two?

1. Removing a statue doesn't change history, its just stops shoving it directly into peoples faces,  the same people that might be offended by the actions of the person.
  2. Removing a concentration camp doesn't change history, its just stops shoving it directly into peoples faces,  the same people that might be offended by the actions of the regime.

2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Okay, in your opinion I "don't get it." And you've been to Dachua. So what's the difference between these two?

1. Removing a statue doesn't change history, its just stops shoving it directly into peoples faces,  the same people that might be offended by the actions of the person.
  2. Removing a concentration camp doesn't change history, its just stops shoving it directly into peoples faces,  the same people that might be offended by the actions of the regime.

Ill let you think about for a good while, perhaps it might sink in, or not.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Keith said:

And I took a conscious decision not to visit. Being tucked out of the way, it wasn't shoved in peoples faces

The point. :)

7 minutes ago, Keith said:

Ill let you think about for a good while, perhaps it might sink in, or not.

I thought about it long before you ever posted that, I just used your post as opportunity to ask the question. So I apologize to your for that, it was a wrong-place, wrong-time kind of thing.

So please, indulge me, what's the difference between pulling down statues of people that remind us where many American elite got their wealth, and bulldozing concentration camps that remind us where many European elite got their wealth?

I've never been to Dachau, but I once met a rather wealthy American who would have paid a good portion of one of his bank accounts to remove every monument to how his family gained their wealth from the backs of enslaving their countrymen.

10 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

And I took a conscious decision not to visit. Being tucked out of the way, it wasn't shoved in peoples faces

The point. :)

Oh ... so testaments to Nazi villainy are okay because they're "out of the way" and not "shoved in peoples (sic) faces" who profited from the Nazi war machine?

And testaments to American enslavement are not okay because they're not "out of the way" and thus the descendants of the people who profited from enslaving their fellow Americans have to face their cruel and disgusting history in a very public place?

Here's the deal Meli. You have no say in this, unless you live in one of the communities which has one of those statues in the park or in front of a public building. If you did live there, then you could (as many have) decided with their neighbors to remove the statues that they don't want there. Hopefully the statues would be preserved in some way in a public trust, so that future generations can have testament to our ways of enslavement, lest future generations deny that slavery ever happened.

My town has a shit-ton of statues, mostly of things like cowboys fishing, little kids riding down hills of snow, hawks catching fish, that kind of thing. THIS is my concern -- if I choose to make it my concern.

But your concern is not some town's statuary, you don't live there.

This is your concern, do something about it if you choose ...

d3a11c5fc53d2a3eea6c139270efb37d

If I May?

Statues tend to be erected in prominent public places, If there's one on your route, one cannot avoid them without  being forced to divert. In which case, the statue or symbol of what it stands for "wins"

Most concentration camps have been bulldozed, most statues of Stalin have been removed. Those left, Dachau, for instance, not only have been set up as a reminder of the evil and a shrine to the murdered but one needs to take a deliberate diversion to visit. Hence, those that wish to visit choose to do so.