Black Lives Matter

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That minority seems to have become the entirety of the Republican senators.

Right, amazingly the original Voting Rights Act had more GOP than Dem votes, but that was before the GOPPER Riech's Southern Strategy. 

I read chunks of Robt Caro's big bio series on LBJ, and I think I know how he got the voting act done.  He pretty much told the wavering Senators that, whatever the Right was paying them to oppose the legislation, he would pay them more. 

Master of the Senate $ 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are equating the killing of blacks by the criminal element with the killing of blacks by agents of the government, suggesting that the severity of the two should be judged merely by a scorecard. 

Oh, good grief.  Is THAT why we're talking past one another?  "Systemic"  -  look it up in a dictionary  -  just means that it's a quality of a system, as opposed an individual component of the s

Posted Images

Stop & Frisk Targets' Lives Matter

Between 2014 and 2017—despite allegedly ending the practice after a federal court found it to be unconstitutional—New York City conducted 92,383 stops and 60,583 frisks of people on the street. Christopher Dunn et al., Stop-and-Frisk in the de Blasio Era, NYCLU, 1, 14 (Mar. 14, 2019). During that time, 81% of stops were of Black or Latino people, as were 84% of frisks. Id. at 9, 17. Black and Latino men between the ages of 14 and 24 accounted for 38% of the stops, even though they only made up 5% of the city’s population. Id. at 2. Still, Black and Latino people were “less likely to be found with a weapon” than others.

Still, even the tiny chance that a stop and frisk could put another violent felon away and get another gun out of private hands makes it all worthwhile. Just common sense gun control in action.

The six examples above are not unusual at all. Possession of a gun is a violent felony in NY.

each year, we represent hundreds of
indigent people whom New York criminally charges for
exercising their right to keep and bear arms. For our
clients, New York’s licensing regime renders the
Second Amendment a legal fiction. Worse, virtually all
our clients whom New York prosecutes for exercising
their Second Amendment right are Black or Hispanic.
And that is no accident. New York enacted its firearm
licensing requirements to criminalize gun ownership
by racial and ethnic minorities. That remains the effect
of its enforcement by police and prosecutors today.

When someone in New York City is prosecuted for
exercising their right to keep and bear arms—either at
home or outside—they are almost always charged with
second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a
“violent felony” punishable by 3.5 to 15 years in prison.
N.Y. Penal Law §§ 265.03; 70.02(1)(b). That statute
criminalizes possessing a loaded firearm outside of the
home or possessing a loaded firearm anywhere with
the intent to use it unlawfully. N.Y. Penal Law §§
265.03(3), 265.03(1)(b). It is a more severe charge than
possession of an unloaded firearm, which is a lower
level, “non-violent” felony. N.Y. Penal Law § 265.01-
B(1).

Second-degree criminal possession of a weapon
applies to virtually all firearm possession cases—both
at home an d outside —because of broad provisions
within the Penal Law. First, the Penal Law considers
a firearm “loaded” if a person possesses it “at the same
time” they possess ammunition, regardless of whether
the firearm is, in fact, loaded. N.Y. Penal Law §
265.00(15); People v. Gordian , 952 N.Y.S.2d 46, 47
(N.Y. App. Div. 2012) (finding it “legally irrelevant”
whether cartridges were in a firearm at the time of the
arrest). As a result, New York prosecutors rarely
charge firearm-possession cases as a lower -level
offense alleging an “unloaded” firearm. Second, the
Penal Law dictates that unlicensed “possession” of a
firearm is, on its own, “presumptive evidence of intent
to use the same unlawfully against another.” N.Y.
Penal Law § 265.15(4). As a result, unlicensed
possession, on its own, is legally sufficient evidence to
establish the heightened violent felony of second-
degree criminal possession of a weapon . People v.
Galindo, 17 N.E.3d 1121, 1124 (N.Y. 2014). Together,
these two provisions allow New York prosecutors to
charge almost every firearm possession case as the
violent felony of second-degree criminal possession of a
weapon.

So it's not just the gungrabby chorus here who assume that anyone who possesses a gun is a violent criminal, it's the state of the law in NY. But you can't be too harsh on people who think they can just possess a gun, so...

Of course, if you're rich and/or well-connected, you can avoid the felony charge for possession just by getting a license.

It is a defense to a pure possession charge if one has a firearm license, but securing such a license is no easy feat—especially for those who are indigent. For example, the New York City Police Department (“NYPD”) maintains control of firearm licensing in New York City. It requires that applicants submit over $400 in fees, 3 pricing out indigent people, like those living in the most impoverished Congressional district in the country, which is in the Bronx. 4 It administratively adjudicates, on its own, the “moral character” of applicants. And it retains ultimate and broad discretion in determining whom to grant or deny licenses.

But don't worry. If you look like a good stop and frisk target to the cops, I'm sure they will fairly judge your moral character and make the right choice, assuming you can afford the 400 bucks. That whole Black Lives Matter thing is just based on the silly notion that cops are racist, but they're obviously not when it comes to gun control.

Look away if you don't like racist history.

New York’s firearm licensing requirement
originated with the 1911 Sullivan Law. That law made
it unlawful to possess any firearm, anywhere, without
a license, and gave local police broad discretion to
decide who could obtain one. 1911 Laws of N.Y., ch.
195, § 1, at 443. The bill was one of the “early Northern
controls” that was passe d in response to post -
Reconstruction “concerns about organized labor, the
huge number of immigrants, and race riots in which
some blacks defended themselves with firearms.”
David B. Kopel, The Great Gun Control War of the
Twentieth Century—And its Lessons for Gun Laws
Today, 39 Fordham Urb. L.J. 1527, 1529 (2012). It also
responded to years of hysteria over violence that the
media and the establishment attributed to racial and
ethnic minorities—particularly Black people and
Italian immigrants. In a 1909 New York Times
interview, Police Chief Douglas I. McKay, who was
overseeing the working-class men brought up from
New York City to build the Catskill Aqueduct,
summarized the views of law enforcement at the time:

Another thing that we consider
essential to the safety of the [upstate]
residents is to prevent the workmen
from carrying concealed weapons. This
is a strong habit with both negroes and
Italians.

Along the Line with the Aqueduct Police, N.Y. Times
(Apr. 4, 1909). A few years later, Chief McKay became
Deputy Police Commissioner, and then Police
Commissioner, of the NYPD, the authority in charge of
the Sullivan Law’s discretionary licensing in New York
City. See Kline Ousts Waldo, N.Y. Times (Jan. 1, 1914).
Meanwhile, the Times implored the police to begin
“frisking” hundreds of people in the city—a practice
that, at the time, it believed was “less common,
perhaps, than it ought to be.” The Rossi Pistol Case,
N.Y. Times (Sept. 29, 1911)

And a century later, Bloomberg and DeBlasio still think that it's best to throw niggers and wops up against the wall and frisk them. But there's nothing racist about that because TeamD.

Are you saying that Italians and black people were targeted by stop and frisk, or that deblasio was mayor when stop amd frisk was ruled unconstitutional? 

just checking which gas you are lighting today. Maybe Reason writers took the day off.  Or maybe you just like writing “nigger” and “wop” so much that you are ok writing silly false sentences so you can inject them. 

On 1/18/2022 at 7:46 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

“I think the tragedy is that we have a Congress with a Senate that has a minority of misguided senators who will use the filibuster to keep the majority of people from voting.” - MLK July 5, 1963

SAME AS IT EVER WAS...

20 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It is very divisive to point out that black Americans are Americans too. 

To whom Sol?
Other than yourself that is.

I have not seen one poster on this thread suggest that African Americans are not Americans 

Care to post a link?

You race-baiting pos

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Are you saying that Italians and black people were targeted by stop and frisk, or that deblasio was mayor when stop amd frisk was ruled unconstitutional? 

just checking which gas you are lighting today. Maybe Reason writers took the day off.  Or maybe you just like writing “nigger” and “wop” so much that you are ok writing silly false sentences so you can inject them. 

For Tom, every thread is a gun thread. He’s a serial thread polluter.

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It is very divisive to point out that black Americans are Americans too. 

I've wondered why the need to keep finding new labels for Blacks. Mitch is a dog but:

Colored people ... Blacks ... AA ... People of color...  

this was bound to happen. 

43 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

And unless I've gone nuts, Gouv has announced the return of HJ lite on three separate threads ... so far... this morning. 

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

As soon as I come across a thread with Tom unaposting to himself more than twice, I bin it.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

As soon as I come across a thread with Tom unaposting to himself more than twice, I bin it.

I've long thought a great forum feature would be "ignore threads where the only replies are the same poster."

Nope, that's syntactically tortured. "Ignore unapost threads" sounds better.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:16 AM, Pertinacious Tom said:

i do declare...

quite a fkn' talent you have there, making eyes glaze over on command.

Tom has been showing instances in which black lives really don't matter

On 1/18/2022 at 6:50 AM, Pertinacious Tom said:

As former Mayor Michael Bloomberg explained when justifying the practice:

95% of your murders, murderers and murder victims, fit one M.O. You can just take the description and Xerox it and pass it out to all the cops. They are male minorities 15 to 25 . . . . [T]he way you should get the guns out of the kids’ hands is throw them against the wall and frisk them.

Instead of a series of ad hominem, 

,maybe show where he's wrong ? 

48 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Instances?  Doesn’t that indicate that black lives don’t always matter? 

Are black people Americans too?

6 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Yes, but they are hyphenated Americans.

12 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

I underlined the important bit for you, you blithering simpleton…..

“African American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans.”

lol

7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I’m still waiting for your response you race-baiting pos 

12 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

To whom Sol?
Other than yourself that is.

I have not seen one poster on this thread suggest that African Americans are not Americans 

Care to post a link?

You race-baiting pos

^ that's a keeper.:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Actually, I've been quoting NY public defenders and black legal aid lawyers and yes, they are saying minorities have been targeted by stop and frisk.

What they said, once again:

Between 2014 and 2017—despite allegedly ending the practice after a federal court found it to be unconstitutional—New York City conducted 92,383 stops and 60,583 frisks of people on the street. Christopher Dunn et al., Stop-and-Frisk in the de Blasio Era, NYCLU, 1, 14 (Mar. 14, 2019). During that time, 81% of stops were of Black or Latino people, as were 84% of frisks. Id. at 9, 17. Black and Latino men between the ages of 14 and 24 accounted for 38% of the stops, even though they only made up 5% of the city’s population. Id. at 2. Still, Black and Latino people were “less likely to be found with a weapon” than others.

Not sure what you think was false about my sentence. A century after the NY Times said there should be more stopping and frisking of Italians and Blacks, Bloomberg and (after Bloomberg's program was ruled unconstitutional) DeBlasio were both pursuing the same policy. Call it a lie if you want, but it's true. Yes, even if I use language that seems funny when Mel Brooks uses it in Blazing Saddles.

9 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

That would be mindless ad hominems. Attacking Reason when I'm quoting black NY public defenders? Talk about clueless. Can't even get messenger-adjacent.

15 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
16 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Regrettably, the answer to your question is yes. Just as with abortion and Trump's abuse of power, to name a couple of allegedly important issues, black lives may matter but gungrabbiness matters more, so when the two conflict, black lives don't matter. That's why the attacks here are not on NY's racist programs and laws, but on me for daring to say something bad about gungrabbing.

Opinion sought.

Does this look like racial profiling to you?

You have a woman attacked in her home while sleeping. (it appeares that her partner was also there (sleeping?)

The woman screamed and the man fled, and the woman's partner attempted to chase him but he was unable to be located.

A police investigation has uncovered CCTV that shows a man in the area at the time wearing clothing similar to that described by the alleged victim.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-24/police-release-images-man-fitzroy-north-sexual-assault/100777460

the CTV photo.

Black, with what looks like a handbag, ear buds.

fairly slender.

Looks like a woman to me.

Three vertical images of a man wearing white pants, a black shirt and black puffer vest.

7 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

Opinion sought.

Does this look like racial profiling to you?

Well, OK, my opinion is that you should ask someplace where people are able to recognize racism when it's blatantly obvious. I think I just demonstrated this is not such a place.

Bad news for NY residents who appear to need stopping and frisking.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams (D) on Sunday said he is planning to reinstitute a modified plainclothes anti-gun unit after a police officer was fatally shot while responding to a 911 call in Harlem.

Asked by co-anchor Dana Bash on CNN’s “State of the Union” about steps Adams is taking to make the city “more safe immediately,” the mayor said the Big Apple is going to restore a “newer version” of a modified plainclothes anti-tun unit.

“I talked about this on the campaign trail. Our team has done the proper analysis. And now we're going to deploy that,” he added.

Plainclothes police units dissolved in the city in 2020, after some criticized the system for initiating use of force against Black and Latino individuals, according to The New York Times.

Hey, a cop was killed and if that means some innocent Black and Latino people have to be stopped and frisked in the name of gungrabbiness, that's just the price TeamD is willing to pay.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:14 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

No, according to black people, they are African Americans.

And that’s how turtle head addressed them.

Care to offer an opinion on why African Americans are targeting Asian Americans so much?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-killed-people-nyc-parolee-190245577.html

The BLM pushers are Marxist Communists and are many.

What happened to the White American Male? 

(ON THE CHANCE YOU NEVER WATCH TV)

Social Engineering is the use of centralized planning in an attempt to manage social change and regulate the future development and behavior of a society.

In the 328.2 million total citizens in the United States, there are 236.5 Million Whites or 72% of the population!

A spreadsheet of TV commercials shows the following over a 4-month period:

White men have all but disappeared. When they are in commercials they are either old, ugly and sick or they are the partner of a black woman and have no speaking part. In 3 of the commercials the white men are doing laundry and always paired with a little girl to whom they are delivering the clean clothes. 

There were zero commercials of White fathers and sons. None!

Equally disturbing, young white boys and teens have also disappeared. The study found a majority of the children were white girls with a black "brother." Mostly TV commercial couples consist of a white woman with a black man. Are they trying to program the young people of today?  It's so obvious.

Amazingly, in the month of December there was an uptick in good looking white male models. Research determined that in each and every case it was a cologne commercial and every one of those commercials were made in Europe where they still use muscular, masculine white men.  Over a period of 4 months, it concluded that while the African American population in America is only 13% they were in 94.3% of the commercials.

One insurance commercial featured a good-looking white guy in his 20's.  He was so mind-numbingly stupid that he was incapable of delivering his lines and couldn't even say "Liberty Mutual" the insurance company featured in the commercial. 

Black males are only 6% of our population yet were in 89.7% of the ads.

White males make up the largest segment of our population, yet were only in 4% of the TV commercials! In most of those cases they are in their 60s to 80s and were pushing medication for debilitating diseases, reverse mortgages (Tom Selleck) or Medicare plans. While the study had many, many more alarming facts, one that really stands out is that each and every ad for new cars featured a woman driver except for Lincoln.

Who is pushing diversity on television? Whether it's a multi-racial family having a bowl of cereal, or a man proposing to another man, television commercials are pushing the envelope when it comes to diversity.

Only one ad included a white male passenger and he is not behind the wheel, a black woman is. In the commercials for automobiles there were more black women drivers than white women. Again, Europe was the exception where Mercedes and BMW had NO VISIBLE DRIVERS!  They showed the cars cruising highways with license plates that were obviously European but never allowed a view where the driver was visible. 

The questions:  

Who casts these commercial shoots?

Who directs the directors to cast certain types?How did this trend in commercials happen all at the same time?

What is going on here?  Is it supported, paid for and directed with an agenda in mind?

What is their motive? Who is manipulating all visual network advertising?

Who is bribing and enforcing this huge government takeover of what we are allowed to view?

ANSWER:

It is obvious that no product commercial is allowed without the approval of those who are controlling our news media networks.

That's what Communists do.

16 minutes ago, Therapy said:

(ON THE CHANCE YOU NEVER WATCH TV)...

good, gag on it.

1 hour ago, Therapy said:

Got a link to whom published that Riech Wing drivel ??  

10 hours ago, Therapy said:

Uh oh, another little snowflake is triggered

Somebody doesn't understand capitalism

- DSK

On 1/24/2022 at 3:57 AM, Pertinacious Tom said:

Bad news for NY residents who appear to need stopping and frisking.

Hey, a cop was killed and if that means some innocent Black and Latino people have to be stopped and frisked in the name of gungrabbiness, that's just the price TeamD is willing to pay.

It may shock a lot of folks, but there is a significant proportion of people living in these shooting galleries who want that, and they aren't mostly white. It's typical of people getting sick and tired of bullets flying around their abodes, and has nothing to do with race. 

DyxCDNKXcAA-6GB.jpg

On 1/25/2022 at 8:22 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Uh oh, another little snowflake is triggered

Somebody doesn't understand capitalism

- DSK

Capitalism is responsible for more people rising above abject poverty than any other "system" in the history of man.

1 minute ago, Therapy said:

Capitalism is responsible for more people rising above abject poverty than any other "system" in the history of man.

Been to China recently ??

On 1/24/2022 at 11:25 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Got a link to whom published that Riech Wing drivel ??  

No. Sorry.  But it seems that all you have to do is watch TV for a short time to see that commercials are as described.  I don't watch much so my brain is less washed I think.  I have asked multiple people I know (TV watchers) and they have all said they have noticed that trend in commercials.

33 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Probably not. AJ is too thick to be insulted.

He’s a fucking idiot & I work hard at seeing the best in people

7 hours ago, Therapy said:

So why are you against companies advertising their products in a way that they believe will gain them a profit?

- DSK

14 hours ago, Mark K said:

It may shock a lot of folks, but there is a significant proportion of people living in these shooting galleries who want that, and they aren't mostly white. It's typical of people getting sick and tired of bullets flying around their abodes, and has nothing to do with race. 

DyxCDNKXcAA-6GB.jpg

Those people, assuming they exist, are just wrong. And, if not white, are likely to be stopped and frisked. Which is wrong. So is this, in my opinion:

In New York, for example, the same cops who stop and frisk blacks are empowered to judge whether a black man has sufficient moral character to exercise the right of gun ownership. If ANY other words followed "exercise the right" in that sentence, you would have heard a lot about it from people other than me. Well, and the people who defend them in court.

What do you think about the same cops who disproportionately search innocent blacks then getting so say whether those same people can exercise a right?

By the way, it's not just that one terrible right. Gun possession is a violent felony in New York, so no voting rights for those convicted of defying TeamD either.

8 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Those people, assuming they exist, are just wrong. And, if not white, are likely to be stopped and frisked. Which is wrong. So is this, in my opinion:

In New York, for example, the same cops who stop and frisk blacks are empowered to judge whether a black man has sufficient moral character to exercise the right of gun ownership. If ANY other words followed "exercise the right" in that sentence, you would have heard a lot about it from people other than me. Well, and the people who defend them in court.

What do you think about the same cops who disproportionately search innocent blacks then getting so say whether those same people can exercise a right?

By the way, it's not just that one terrible right. Gun possession is a violent felony in New York, so no voting rights for those convicted of defying TeamD either.

Legalistic rationalizations don't hold up when bullets are going though your house and zinging past your kids. In that condition it's anything that works. 

13 hours ago, Mark K said:

Legalistic rationalizations don't hold up when bullets are going though your house and zinging past your kids. In that condition it's anything that works. 

That's one of the reasons they're wrong.

The main one is the fourth amendment, meant to take certain choices off the table, even if the majority likes them. Throwing kids against the wall and searching them for being black is such a choice. Seems wrong on its face to me too, but whatever.

The thing is, it DOESN'T work! The black people they target actually don't have many guns and so are stopped and frisked for no good reason. From the public defenders' amicus brief quoted above:

So they're searching the wrong people. And not finding guns.

As the number of stop-and-frisk encounters initiated by the NYPD grew from about 100,000 in Michael Bloomberg's first year as mayor to almost 700,000 in 2011, the share of stops yielding guns fell from 0.38 percent to 0.033 percent. Bloomberg says that trend shows the program is working, because "the whole idea…is not to catch people with guns; it's to prevent people from carrying guns."

So your post above should be amended to read "anything that works between 0.38 and 0.033 percent of the time."

Which seems to me to work about as well as most gun control and to justify the racist policies as well too. But don't worry, the gungrabby chorus has identified the real problem here: me.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, Steam Flyer said:

So why are you against companies advertising their products in a way that they believe will gain them a profit?

- DSK

Did I say that?

3 minutes ago, Therapy said:
On 1/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Did I say that?

Yep

Why else go on a long ill-tempered rant about the wrong people being shown in advertising?

Also, you seem to be against freedom of speech.

- DSK

1 hour ago, Therapy said:

Huh?

I said your shit is petty. where'd you find it, asshole.com?

On 1/26/2022 at 4:06 PM, Therapy said:

No. Sorry.  But it seems that all you have to do is watch TV for a short time to see that commercials are as described.  I don't watch much so my brain is less washed I think.  I have asked multiple people I know (TV watchers) and they have all said they have noticed that trend in commercials.

I have noticed the exact same thing as the original post above with many more Blacks in commercials than one sees in real life. [Same with all the gay couples in commercials. One MIGHT see loving gay couples on every high rise roof patio in Midtown Manhattan but far less likely in Manhattan, Kansas.] 

This raises a real issue for this forum where any mention of race is assumed to be racist. 3:1 reacted immediately with, "Gag on it." I laughed out loud. It was an immediate  and perfect knee jerk reaction.

This is social engineering plain and simple brought to you by the folks making commercials in NY and CA. I'm not saying it's bad, quite the contrary. Given the changing demographics of the country, it's a good strategy to ease the transition from mostly white to mostly tan. 

I do wonder if some collusive factor is in play but I doubt it. I'm guessing that folks interested in social justice are just doing their individual best wherever they can. 

That's fine but let's call it what it is.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I have noticed the exact same thing as the original post above with many more Blacks in commercials than one sees in real life. ...

Doesn't that depend on where you live?

- DSK

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

This is social engineering plain and simple brought to you by the folks making commercials in NY and CA. I'm not saying it's bad, quite the contrary. Given the changing demographics of the country, it's a good strategy to ease the transition from mostly white to mostly tan. 

I do wonder if some collusive factor is in play but I doubt it. I'm guessing that folks interested in social justice are just doing their individual best wherever they can.

Personally, I think you're right.  I believe its mostly just echo. 

Professors of marketing from NYU teach students who graduate from NYU who become professors at NYU and the cycle of life continues.

My freshman thermodynamics class was dubbed 'Wustite 101' because that's what the prof did in his prior career and his examples all came from that industry.  They're good examples but every student through that course graduated with an unnatural and excessive understanding of mechanisms of iron oxidation compared to the general populace.

Advertising, Hollywood, social media, etc. are all intensely nepotistic.  Its who you know.  They're all swimming in the same pool, looking to affirmation from the same peer groups, etc.  They don't need to "collude."  Its just the world they live in. 

My daughter's best friend handles the social media accounts for some of the Warner bros properties.  Pay is terrible but she's got a nice seat at watching that sausage get made.

5 minutes ago, BeSafe said:

Advertising, Hollywood, social media, etc. are all intensely nepotistic.  Its who you know.  They're all swimming in the same pool, looking to affirmation from the same peer groups, etc.  They don't need to "collude."  Its just the world they live in. 

Yep.

As a minor non sequitur, some of the 'fetishizing of demographics' that goes on in those circles is a bit - excessive. 

My daugher's friend is a progressive late 20's biracial girl of Japanese dissent who's inclined to swing both ways.  She's pretty open minded and SHE gets creeped out by some of what goes on.  Some of marketing - at least in those circles - is less capitalistic and more oedipal that you'd imagine.  Yea.. sometimes, they did really mean it that way.

4 minutes ago, BeSafe said:

As a minor non sequitur, some of the 'fetishizing of demographics' that goes on in those circles is a bit - excessive. 

My daugher's friend is a progressive late 20's biracial girl of Japanese dissent who's inclined to swing both ways.  She's pretty open minded and SHE gets creeped out by some of what goes on.  Some of marketing - at least in those circles - is less capitalistic and more oedipal that you'd imagine.  Yea.. sometimes, they did really mean it that way.

Don't they have to sell product to keep their accounts?

- DSK

I've just assumed that the trend (and it is one) is mostly because advertisers and PR / marketing departments feel the need to jump on the "equity" bandwagon lest they be criticized for being non-inclusive.  In other words, it's not sincere, but a combination of pragmatism and virtue-signaling.  But when has advertising ever been sincere?

And the skin-tones in these ads may be more diverse, but other than that it all seems pretty "melting pot" -- nothing too radical that might offend the paying customers.  Again, not the purpose of advertising.

53 minutes ago, valis said:

I've just assumed that the trend (and it is one) is mostly because advertisers and PR / marketing departments feel the need to jump on the "equity" bandwagon lest they be criticized for being non-inclusive.  In other words, it's not sincere, but a combination of pragmatism and virtue-signaling.  But when has advertising ever been sincere?

And the skin-tones in these ads may be more diverse, but other than that it all seems pretty "melting pot" -- nothing too radical that might offend the paying customers.  Again, not the purpose of advertising.

I just assumed it was because the majority of white people don't get all outraged by seeing black people on TV, and will buy the stuff advertised if the ad is appealing in other ways (cool music, big boobs, humor, etc) and that they can improve sales to minority people.

It's a little surprising that some people insist it all has to be some kind of dadgum libby-rull conspiracy... actually not surprising at all that Mr Joke and Sea Wanker see it this way, but apparently a lot of others have been pulled into the same orbit.

- DSK

12 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's a little surprising that some people insist it all has to be some kind of dadgum libby-rull conspiracy... actually not surprising at all that Mr Joke and Sea Wanker see it this way, but apparently a lot of others have been pulled into the same orbit.

Hopefully it's a decaying orbit and they don't land in a populated area.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I just assumed it was because the majority of white people don't get all outraged by seeing black people on TV, and will buy the stuff advertised if the ad is appealing in other ways (cool music, big boobs, humor, etc) and that they can improve sales to minority people.

And of course you're right too.  I think there are many factors at work, but "cultural elites conspiring to change our society through brainwashing" probably isn't one of them.  With some rare exceptions, advertising doesn't drive culture.  While ads can spread culture, usually culture drives advertising. 

But you can't ignore the defensive posture that corporations have had to / have chosen to take.  Many of the modern ads show a diverse-beyond-proportion mix of beautiful, fun, edgy-but-not-threateningly-so actors.  Who among us wouldn't want to buy the product so that we can virtually hang with those cool kids?  So it's defensive, but still effective advertisement.

35 minutes ago, valis said:

And of course you're right too.  I think there are many factors at work, but "cultural elites conspiring to change our society through brainwashing" probably isn't one of them.  With some rare exceptions, advertising doesn't drive culture.  While ads can spread culture, usually culture drives advertising. 

But you can't ignore the defensive posture that corporations have had to / have chosen to take.  Many of the modern ads show a diverse-beyond-proportion mix of beautiful, fun, edgy-but-not-threateningly-so actors.  Who among us wouldn't want to buy the product so that we can virtually hang with those cool kids?  So it's defensive, but still effective advertisement.

And the people have whiter & straighter teeth than average, and the women have bigger boobs.

So isn't the grumpy old fart brigade outraged that so many darn young people are in TV advertising, instead of being outraged that there are (ahem) black people?

Sorry, sorry, this point's been made to all who are ever going to get it. I'll stop now.

- DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

FWIW, I don't think marketing is 'liberal' or much of a conspiracy, in the sense that some cabal is trying to influence America.  I'm sure some people do believe that - I don't.  Marketing is about getting attention for your product and attaching emotion to them so that you can sell more stuff at higher profit margins.  Marketing is regrettably amoral.  That's the capitalist part.

What I believe is that power attracts power.  What I find deeply uncomfortable is when people of a certain status start 'accessorizing' human beings.  For example, my daughter's friend was invited to several parties because it was 'en vogue' for a few years for certain people to have 'hot Asian girlfriends'.  She was TOLD that.  Do I know if its ACTUALLY true?   Nope.  Do I know the politics of people doing the inviting?  Not really.  I do know that the particular accessory has wandered through various demographics.  Once you know that sort of thing is going on, you can watch it happen.  Lying eyes and all that.

I think treating people as objects is morally wrong.  I fundamentally disagree with having a 'representation check list', for whatever reason.  Regardless of intention, its corrosive and destructive to everyone involved.  I work with a Jamaican woman who told me she frequently second guessed situations like whether she got a promotion because she deserved it or was just a quota.  No matter how much I reassured her, that kind of thing is always 'lurking' in the background.  Having self-esteem can be hard enough without having to carry that kind of shit around too.

Personal anecdotes aren't data.  I accept that I might be totally wrong on all of this.  I just know how it impacts the people I care about.

Black $peech Matter$

That $90 million is an impressive total. But according to multiple media reports, two-thirds of it—$60 million—remain unspent. What was spent, and how it was spent, also raises serious questions. And then there's the biggest mystery of all: Who is currently in charge of BLM? No one, it seems, has any idea. The Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation is, as far as anyone can tell, leaderless. The founders are no longer involved, and the people they supposedly installed to succeed them never actually took the job.

Listeners with good memories will recall that last year, BLM co-founder Patrisse Cullors came under fire for purchasing several million-dollar homes at the exact time the George Floyd protests were underway.

In a statement, BLM said that all of this was on the up and up: "Patrisse Cullors is the Executive Director of Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation (BLMGNF). She serves in this role in a volunteer capacity and does not receive a salary or benefits. Patrisse has received a total of $120,000 since the organization's inception in 2013, for duties such as serving as spokesperson and engaging in political education work. Patrisse did not receive any compensation after 2019."

And that very well might be the case. Cullors has many sources of income: book deals, speaking gigs, a media production arrangement. She's a celebrity activist, and that lifestyle can pay. Nevertheless, after the fallout from that story, Cullors resigned as president of BLMGNF.

In May 2021, she announced that her successors would be Makani Themba, chief strategist at Higher Ground Change Strategies, and Monifa Bandele, chief operating officer at Time's Up Foundation.

But just a few months ago, in September, Themba and Bandele released a curious statement: Neither of them had ever assumed the role. They had not been able to "come to an agreement with the acting leadership council" and had ultimately declined the position.

Fundraising ethicists consulted by both the Examiner and New York magazine found the arrangements extremely shady.

"This is grossly irregular and improper for a nonprofit with $60 million in its coffers," Paul Kamenar of the National Legal and Policy Center told The Examiner.

CharityWatch Executive Director Laurie Styron described BLM to New York magazine as a "giant ghost ship full of treasure drifting in the night with no captain, no discernible crew, and no clear direction."

Avast.

The POS who shot Lequam McDonald 16 times murdering him is set to be released from prison after serving fuck all prison time for this disgusting crime.

Where is BLM now to stand up for justice for that child?

Oh my 

Black Lives Matter (BLM) moved millions of dollars to a charity in Canada run by the wife of co-founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors to purchase a mansion that used to be the headquarters of the Communist Party of Canada, according to public records reviewed by the New York Post.

M4BJ, which is a non-profit based in Toronto that was set up in part by Janaya Khan, bought the 10,000-square foot mansion for $6.3 million in July 2021. Khan is the wife of Khan-Cullors, a self-professed Marxist who helped found Black Lives Matter Global Foundation Network

44 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Oh my 

Black Lives Matter (BLM) moved millions of dollars to a charity in Canada run by the wife of co-founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors to purchase a mansion that used to be the headquarters of the Communist Party of Canada, according to public records reviewed by the New York Post.

M4BJ, which is a non-profit based in Toronto that was set up in part by Janaya Khan, bought the 10,000-square foot mansion for $6.3 million in July 2021. Khan is the wife of Khan-Cullors, a self-professed Marxist who helped found Black Lives Matter Global Foundation Network

Wow, a self-professed Marxist who acts like a Republican?

- DSK

45 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Oh my 

Why don't you post shit about the Trump Foundation? Oh right, you're a racist fuck.

Looks like CA the DOJ is getting involved.  Wonder where the Feds are?

• The California DOJ has threatened to hold the leaders of Black Lives Matter personally liable over the charity's missing financial records
  • The organization has 60 days to disclose records about its $60 million in donations or it could have its tax-exempt status revoked
  • The charity could also face fines for 'each month or partial month for which the report(s) are delinquent'
  • The DOJ said 'directors, trustees, officers and return preparers' could be liable for 'all penalties, interest and other costs incurred to restore exempt status'
  • Charitable assets cannot be used to pay the costs associated with the matter
  • It is unclear with leaders would be held 'personally liable,' especially since all three co-founders are no longer affiliated with the organization
  • The notice comes just days after it was revealed that BLM has not had anyone in charge of its finances since co-founder Patrisse Cullors resigned last May 
6 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Looks like CA the DOJ is getting involved.  Wonder where the Feds are?

• The California DOJ has threatened to hold the leaders of Black Lives Matter personally liable over the charity's missing financial records
  • The organization has 60 days to disclose records about its $60 million in donations or it could have its tax-exempt status revoked
  • The charity could also face fines for 'each month or partial month for which the report(s) are delinquent'
  • The DOJ said 'directors, trustees, officers and return preparers' could be liable for 'all penalties, interest and other costs incurred to restore exempt status'
  • Charitable assets cannot be used to pay the costs associated with the matter
  • It is unclear with leaders would be held 'personally liable,' especially since all three co-founders are no longer affiliated with the organization
  • The notice comes just days after it was revealed that BLM has not had anyone in charge of its finances since co-founder Patrisse Cullors resigned last May 

If they've broken financial laws then I hope they are prosecuted.

- DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

If they've broken financial laws then I hope they are prosecuted.

- DSK

Yep.  And, it sounds like there is a level of accountability.

Funny how The Joker reserves his ire for specific entities that are not aligned with the GOP or whose names rhyme with "rump".

12 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Yep.  And, it sounds like there is a level of accountability.

Funny how The Joker reserves his ire for specific entities that are not aligned with the GOP or whose names rhyme with "rump".

This thread is about BLM. Not ire just reporting some interesting things happening to that organization.