One month after opening, Covid 19 spiking

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cases up deaths and complications heading dramatically in different directions... Great news!!!

Great news to independent thinkers.... now back to your regular “programming”

lol... twisted misrepresentation 

Posted Images

I tested posi for coronavirus today.  Now my wife and I have to Quarantine for 2 weeks.  I have been very careful.  Wear a mask, limited time in public, hygiene, all of it.  But a sore throat prompted a test.  So i'll miss defending our club's biggest regatta, can't see my kid for 2 weeks, have to take all my sick days and a week of vacay.  Hopefully I don't get sicker. It is a big deal.  

31 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

I tested posi for coronavirus today.  Now my wife and I have to Quarantine for 2 weeks.  I have been very careful.  Wear a mask, limited time in public, hygiene, all of it.  But a sore throat prompted a test.  So i'll miss defending our club's biggest regatta, can't see my kid for 2 weeks, have to take all my sick days and a week of vacay.  Hopefully I don't get sicker. It is a big deal.  

OH CRAP!

Best wishes.... a couple of members of this august forum have caught it, and now are back. Stock up on aspirin!

- DSK

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Shit. Don't take this as anything other than it is. Serious shit.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Good luck, I hope for a swift and full recovery.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Well shit.  It is indeed a big deal. May your symptoms be mild and your recovery swift. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Swimsailor said:

:( best wishes!

• Like 1

@Swimsailor ... Sol said it better than I could, so I'll just quote:

5 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Well shit.  It is indeed a big deal. May your symptoms be mild and your recovery swift. 

Seriously.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

This ^

• Like 1

Another piece for this puzzle, article published on medium.com, found via slashdot:

A Supercomputer Analyzed Covid-19 — and an Interesting New Theory Has Emerged

A closer look at the Bradykinin hypothesis

Earlier this summer, the Summit supercomputer at Oak Ridge National Lab in Tennessee set about crunching data on more than 40,000 genes from 17,000 genetic samples in an effort to better understand Covid-19. Summit is the second-fastest computer in the world, but the process — which involved analyzing 2.5 billion genetic combinations — still took more than a week.

When Summit was done, researchers analyzed the results. It was, in the words of Dr. Daniel Jacobson, lead researcher and chief scientist for computational systems biology at Oak Ridge, a “eureka moment.” The computer had revealed a new theory about how Covid-19 impacts the body: the bradykinin hypothesis. The hypothesis provides a model that explains many aspects of Covid-19, including some of its most bizarre symptoms. It also suggests 10-plus potential treatments, many of which are already FDA approved. Jacobson’s group published their results in a paper in the journal eLife in early July

... read the full article. [medium.com]

.This is not about a miracle cure but it should further understanding the virus and help to develop treatments.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

That sucks....Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

I am very sorry to hear that. I'm rooting for you buddy, and I hope that all of this will be just a bad memory.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

Bummer. Good luck!

On 9/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, Swimsailor said:

I tested posi for coronavirus today. 

Good luck getting better. There are lot of better therapies now than in the early days as doctors have learned how to treat it. I'm sure you'll do fine but really take it easy.

21 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

Just found out my employer has covid pay!  So I won't have to use all my sick days.  Always a reason to be hopeful.

I get 4 weeks vacation + 5 sick days. I also have very good short term disability which pays roughly equal to your salary when I was in hospital and recovering at home after surgery.

When I got ass cancer and ran through my sick days during chemo/radiation treatments, I was told "here's 5 more sick days. Use them as you need to. Don't worry about anything; we'll take care of you". Really nice to work for a company that has your back when times are bad.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Over 190k US COVID deaths now, Bullshitters. 200,000 is just around the corner. How many do you need to see before we can play it straight? Your bullshit and distractions aren’t working. 

Latest model has 400k+ dead by Jan 1 and 3k daily deaths.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Latest model has 400k+ dead by Jan 1 and 3k daily deaths.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Well considering that the death toll was supposed to be 500 million if Trump didn’t ban China flights, that would be a great success, right? Tremendous! Many people are saying it!

32 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Well considering that the death toll was supposed to be 500 million if Trump didn’t ban China flights, that would be a great success, right? Tremendous! Many people are saying it!

World War II had 405,000 American dead, but it took 4 years, not ten months.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Sadly, that will be the talking point.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:54 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Actually, he saved billions of Americans.  How do I know this?  He said so -

4 hours ago, Remodel said:

188,000 dead Americans today. Apparently snake-oil and bullshit are not effective countermeasures for a virus.

??? 188K?

Try more than 193K

USA 6,460,250 +31,110 193,250 +432 3,725,970 2,541,030 14,681 19,496 583 87,474,919 263,986 331,362,224
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

??? 188K?

Try more than 193K

USA 6,460,250 +31,110 193,250 +432 3,725,970 2,541,030 14,681 19,496 583 87,474,919 263,986 331,362,224

It will be gone by April. With any luck, so will Trump. Possibly kicking and screaming and filling his Depends, but gone.

OP being from the 6th of June 2020, it is now one more month after one month after one month after one month after opening, and what started as a - in hindsight - moderate spike has become a surge that is still rolling.

Yet the WH answer to control the infection rate is a card house of bullshit, glued together and patched up with even more bullshit and decorated with some more bullshit on top that by deranged supporters on social media and forums like this one. All of this happening in broad daylight and in spite of a now solid and growing factual knowledge on the pandemic.

What's next? Tobacco again, to cure those of short breath?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Grog said:

OP being from the 6th of June 2020, it is now one more month after one month after one month after one month after opening, and what started as a - in hindsight - moderate spike has become a surge that is still rolling.

Yet the WH answer to control the infection rate is a card house of bullshit, glued together and patched up with even more bullshit and decorated with some more bullshit on top that by deranged supporters on social media and forums like this one. All of this happening in broad daylight and in spite of a now solid and growing factual knowledge on the pandemic.

What's next? Tobacco again, to cure those of short breath?

Leeches and opium.

3 hours ago, Grog said:
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Leeches and opium.

"Honey, you don't know what a hangover is!"

Y'know, I just had a thought.... I wonder if it would be possible to breed a type of leech that would actually bite deep enough to suck out spinal fluid. Sometimes people have too much and it causes head aches.

- DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Y'know, I just had a thought.... I wonder if it would be possible to breed a type of leech that would actually bite deep enough to suck out spinal fluid. Sometimes people have too much and it causes head aches.

- DSK

Lampreys, the next medical miracle.

screen_shot_2019-10-24_at_12.15.52_pm.pn

It's hitting pretty close to home now. A sailing buddy here in our little town just tested positive after getting sicker and sicker. It's nothing to be too concerned about, he's just the outboard guru who fixes everyone's boats, it's not like he has contact with many people.... Besides, it's a hoax and Daddy Trump will protect The Faithful. 

On 9/7/2020 at 9:58 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Nearing 200k US COVID deaths, bullshitters. Bang up job. But hey, it could have been what, 500-billion?! Great success. 

7FA10A1F-187F-4AA4-AAD1-7E4F2B82D290.jpeg

On 9/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Now that is funny to me right now.  My morning project:

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 10.26.40 AM.png

Please tell me you aren't posting draft work product with client information on the internet. Even it is blank boilerplate, it contains the entity's name and should not be disclosed without written permission. Or so I believe. I admit I could be wrong, but if i was your client, I'd be a little bit pissed off.

On 9/8/2020 at 11:59 AM, Ishmael said:

An unfortunate choice of name, IMHO.

Highly intentional. 

"Can we name it 'vampire asset recovery'"?

"Sure,  if you want SEC at the door by the end of the year asking stupid questions". 

"How can we send the message 'we will drain you of all your blood' without setting off too many red flags?"

14 minutes ago, Remodel said:

Please tell me you aren't posting draft work product with client information on the internet. Even it is blank boilerplate, it contains the entity's name and should not be disclosed without written permission. Or so I believe. I admit I could be wrong, but if i was your client, I'd be a little bit pissed off.

you worry about you, i'll worry about me.  

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

you worry about you, i'll worry about me.  

It's hard not to be concerned when you see people you respect make colossal mistakes. I said I could be wrong. I hope I am.

Good luck.

9 minutes ago, Remodel said:

It's hard not to be concerned when you see people you respect make colossal mistakes. I said I could be wrong. I hope I am.

Good luck.

It's not a client's doc.  Assumptions, and all that.

Just now, MR.CLEAN said:

It's not a client's doc.

Then I was wrong. Please accept my apologies.

By the way, the next time I'm looking for a teleplay, I'll keep you in mind. This comment has nothing to do with this thread.

6 minutes ago, Remodel said:

Then I was wrong. Please accept my apologies.

By the way, the next time I'm looking for a teleplay, I'll keep you in mind. This comment has nothing to do with this thread.

Thanks, and no worries.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:55 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

It's hitting pretty close to home now. A sailing buddy here in our little town just tested positive after getting sicker and sicker. It's nothing to be too concerned about, he's just the outboard guru who fixes everyone's boats, it's not like he has contact with many people.... Besides, it's a hoax and Daddy Trump will protect The Faithful. 

Aaaaand it has spread through the boat shop...aaaaaand the pool league at our local bar, which is where my buddy got it. But at least they weren’t alarmed (other than being alarmed about the hoax).

While we are observing moments of silence for 911 victims today, let us also not forget that the US is suffering the equivalent of two 911s per week and that our leadership doesn't seem to be particularly concerned.

7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
On 9/8/2020 at 9:55 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Aaaaand it has spread through the boat shop...aaaaaand the pool league at our local bar, which is where my buddy got it. But at least they weren’t alarmed (other than being alarmed about the hoax).

I hope you reassured them all that it would disappear soon. And remind them that bleach knocks it out in a minute... in a minute!

Last, don't forget the immortal and inspiring words: ... person... man... woman... camera... TV...

- DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

I hope you reassured them all that it would disappear soon. And remind them that bleach knocks it out in a minute... in a minute!

Last, don't forget the immortal and inspiring words: ... person... man... woman... camera... TV...

- DSK

On that bleach idea.... I wonder if any trumpaloo would even get the irony.

cells.png

So many bullshit distractions today, Bullshitters.  It's almost as if there is an approaching milestone or something. And here we are, Bullshitters.  200K US COVID 19 victims.  Oh the power of bullshit.  We're #1. 

Could you work up some better distractions, Bullshitters? It doesn't seem to be distracting the virus, which just keeps chugging away. If you could improve the quality to match the quantity, this pandemic would be licked in a heartbeat, I just know it. Maybe. 

Or we could play it straight and beat the virus so that we could get the economy back. 

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

So many bullshit distractions today, Bullshitters.  It's almost as if there is an approaching milestone or something. And here we are, Bullshitters.  200K US COVID 19 victims.  Oh the power of bullshit.  We're #1. 

Could you work up some better distractions, Bullshitters? It doesn't seem to be distracting the virus, which just keeps chugging away. If you could improve the quality to match the quantity, this pandemic would be licked in a heartbeat, I just know it. Maybe. 

Or we could play it straight and beat the virus so that we could get the economy back. 

And USA also passed 600 deaths per million milestone a few days ago...... 11th in the world now and not long before it passes all of the major euro countries as well, regardless of which Covid strategies they used.

The podium is in sight! Winning!

29 minutes ago, Remodel said:

Looks like a lot of colleges and universities may be going back into lock down.

Florida just allowed bars to open on Monday. Schools are in session now.
The national 7-day new case average is creeping up already. We are now opened up with that around 41k per day. 
It’ll be a few weeks before we see how that works out. 

image.png.e202377d81b4f4d7f3d62c2c9fa0cb8d.png

With a population of just over 1/4 of Florida and we're by no means saints, you might see a mask on 1 out of 100 people. Aside from that, keeping social distancing and fist bumps is the norm de rigueur now.   

The US has left the galaxy and are on their way to...who the fuck knows. 

I had an industry briefing last week with about 100 attendees. To make it work with social distancing, they hired a indoor sports arena, kept the doors wide open and had 100 chairs spaced 2mtrs apart. The entire 3 hours and I never saw one person touch another surface except for their chair and the obligatory take away coffee cup.

Then a team came in after we left and cleaned the chairs before packing up. Very slick operation, good on 'em.   

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

image.png.e202377d81b4f4d7f3d62c2c9fa0cb8d.png

With a population of just over 1/4 of Florida and we're by no means saints, you might see a mask on 1 out of 100 people. Aside from that, keeping social distancing and fist bumps is the norm de rigueur now.   

The US has left the galaxy and are on their way to...who the fuck knows. 

The US performed almost that many tests yesterday with 44k+ coming back positive. Total tests to date  ~100 million for 6.7 million cases, orders of magnitude shittier than Oz. We, the US, can’t be arsed to do 5e work to get back to living.

3 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

The US performed almost that many tests yesterday with 44k+ coming back positive.

It's frustrating MJ to watch you guys go through such pain and there is nothing we can do about it. Even watching a good mate spiral into hard drugs is more preferable to this. 

8 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Utah now up to 1000 + a day.  A new record.

I thought Mormons had special underwear that would protect them.......

28 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

And the US has confirmed over seven million COVID-19 cases as of tonight, bullshitters. It’s almost as if bullshit and distractions don’t stop a virus. 

If you stopped testing, you wouldn't have a problem. Ignorance is bliss. God will provide.

FKT

31 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

And the US has confirmed over seven million COVID-19 cases as of tonight, bullshitters. It’s almost as if bullshit and distractions don’t stop a virus. 

I guess we should shutdown everything for the next 6 months then. It is bound to work this time.

Might have a hard time convincing most people of that tho, since everyone has watched various (D) party types cheer on huge "peaceful protests" while saying that anyone who wants to, say, go to work at an "unessential" job just want to kill granny.

Not that people like Pelosi lets anything keep her beauty appointments. Rules are for the little people.

56 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

I guess we should shutdown everything for the next 6 months then. It is bound to work this time.

Might have a hard time convincing most people of that tho, since everyone has watched various (D) party types cheer on huge "peaceful protests" while saying that anyone who wants to, say, go to work at an "unessential" job just want to kill granny.

Not that people like Pelosi lets anything keep her beauty appointments. Rules are for the little people.

It's a good thing we've learned some things slim the last 6 months.  Here in Utah, it wouldn't make much sense to shit the state down again.  But it does makes sense to do something in Utah County where half the 1100 cases are and the positive test rate is 21%.  Problem is Utan County doesn't want to do ANYTHING to stop the spread.  

On 7/24/2020 at 3:03 PM, mikewof said:

What is this "rock"? That I disagree with broken, unscientific conclusions based on political agendas?

For the last several years I've bugged everyone here (including you) about deaths in Developing Nations due to preventable diseases. Diarrhea, cholera, malaria. A few people here cared, most didn't. You didn't. Hell, even Clean summed it up for you and ilk, "nobody cares" he wrote.

Now we have a pandemic that has taken only a fraction of the lives that diseases like diarrhea, pneumonia, malaria and others have taken in Developing Nations. You didn't give a  rat's ass about it back then when you were redecorating your house. And now you care.

What changed?

What changed is that wealthy, yacht-owning Americans like you and Fat Sol finally got the tiniest taste of what brown people and black people have had to endure year after year with barely a complaint from asswipes like you and Fat Sol.

Now you care.

Suck it up. You didn't give a shit back then, and now you do. You're going to die. Your mortality is in front of you, finally. You may not die this year or next year, but it's coming. And back when I was droning on and on about low-entropy economy transitions, about drought, the millions of lives lost to completely preventable diseases, you just didn't give a shit, did you? And now you care.

Except you really don't care, do you? Yeah, you care about COVID, but let's be honest here, it's barely a blip compared to the deaths you don't care about, right you self-centered prick? The global deaths from this "nightmare on Earth pandemic" currently sits at about 650,000 or so, which is barely a blip compared to the brown and black people in the world who have died from diarrhea, pneumonia, malaria, cholera, AIDS. And even with COVID, it's hitting people in poverty and homeless far worse than asswipes like you and Fat Sol.

But it never was about anyone else, was it? It's always been about you and Fat Sol trying to save your own skin, wanting to enjoy your remodeled bathroom with the freestanding toilet paper dispenser, without having to devote any more effort than necessary to the world outside your door. So this is your pandemic, you and Fat Sol earned it.

Although your I find your response a bit extreme you are spot on.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Swimsailor said:

It's a good thing we've learned some things slim the last 6 months.  Here in Utah, it wouldn't make much sense to shit the state down again.  But it does makes sense to do something in Utah County where half the 1100 cases are and the positive test rate is 21%.  Problem is Utan County doesn't want to do ANYTHING to stop the spread.  

What do you think they should do?

9 hours ago, Rok Dog said:

What do you think they should do?

Countywide mask mandate for starters.  Then have a sheriff who would actually enforce it.  Hold BYU and UVU accountable for people throwing parties advertised specifically to spread the virus.  Increase testing sites available (they’ve been shutting them down). Increase contact tracing.  Shut down the 4 schools in the district with outbreaks.  Close Utah Lake State Park for 2 weeks.  

• Like 1