Fenns treasure found

WTF is "Fenn's treasure"?

1 minute ago, Rasputin22 said:

You live in a cave Left? 

Bubble.

I looked it up. Seems like a stupid way to divest one's self of a lot of money. Hopefully the finder will donate a sizable portion to charity.

It was Fenn's legacy! Seems like 300,000 people had a go at finding the treasure. Think of the return on book sales he got. $1,000,000 was a drip in the bucket when you compare to his collection over the years. Pretty codgy old dude, gotta respect that! 

Now he is just left looking for some good goat cheese...

WWII Nazi POW Returns To American Prison Camp To Say 'Thank You'

24 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Forrest Fenn was a pilot in the United States Air Force, obtaining the rank of Major and awarded the Silver Star for his service in the Vietnam War where he flew 328 combat missions in 365 days.”

- Wiki

Hell man.   Jeezus.

What a slacker! What did he do, golf the 38 days he wasn't flying combat sorties? 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

What a slacker! What did he do, golf the 38 days he wasn't flying combat sorties? 

Huey, Bird Dog, AC-130??

Don’t kno sheit myself here but, can’t see how a 105 pilot could pull that kind of routine off.

18 minutes ago, pbd said:

Hmmmm.

Outside of the guy who hid the treasure, we have no confirmation that anyone found the treasure.

Are we sure there ever was a treasure?

http://youtu.be/HtxbIkfDDO4

That thought has crossed my mind from the beginning. But for now I'm going with it's a great story and I believe it to be true.

23 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Huey, Bird Dog, AC-130??

Don’t kno sheit myself here but, can’t see how a 105 pilot could pull that kind of routine off.

His tour of duty in Vietnam began in early January, 1968, and he tells 2 remarkable stories. “… I was sent to Tuy Hoa, Vietnam, where I ran the command post and flew 328 combat missions in 348 days. I was shot down twice. The first time I took battle damage and “dead-sticked” an F-100D model onto a 5000-foot runway. I took the chain going the wrong way but the aircraft stopped in 340 feet. Who said you need a long runway to stop the Hun?

The second time, I was shot down by ZPUs (towed anti-aircraft gun), ejected at Tchepone, Laos, and was picked up the next day by the famous rescue Jolly Green helicopter, “The Candy Ann”. For more of Fenn’s caterpillar story see: https://supersabresociety.com/caterpillar-club/forrest-fenn-caterpillar-club/

• Like 2
On 6/8/2020 at 7:43 PM, Rasputin22 said:

according to his biography he only played golf 20 days..    he would be my definition of an american hero..

He became a regular officer, flew the F-86D, F-86F, F-84G, F-89, T-33, F-100C and graduated from the Army Helicopter School on the H-13G in 9 days. Aides could do that.
In 1957, Fenn was assigned to the 23rd Fighter Day Squadron (which would become the 23rd Fighter Bomber Squadron) at Bitburg, Germany, flying the F-100 C and F models.
In 1960, he returned to Luke to teach Gunnery School flying the F-100 C & F with squadrons 4511th and 4515th. On assignment for the Cuban Crisis, he began serving with the 4517th. Afterward he was off to Reese AFB, TX to teach pilot training flying the T-38.

His tour of duty in Vietnam began in early January, 1968, and he tells 2 remarkable stories. “… I was sent to Tuy Hoa, Vietnam, where I ran the command post and flew 328 combat missions in 348 days. 

I was shot down twice. The first time I took battle damage and “dead-sticked” an F-100D model onto a 5000-foot runway. I took the chain going the wrong way but the aircraft stopped in 340 feet. Who said you need a long runway to stop the Hun?

The second time, I was shot down by ZPUs (towed anti-aircraft gun), ejected at Tchepone, Laos, and was picked up the next day by the famous rescue Jolly Green helicopter, “The Candy Ann”. For more of Fenn’s caterpillar story 

I returned to Reese to teach pilot training in the T-38 but the assignment was changed to the T-37 by the jerk DO. I turned down a promotion to Lieutenant Colonel and retired.” Fenn retired with a cadre of medals for valor, but says the experience still haunts him. “I had this nightmare …where I was told that the government knew exactly how many enemy soldiers I killed, and they were going to tell me,” he said.

His time in the service led him to his life’s ambition. “Because I had a hard tour in Vietnam, I wanted the world to stop and let me out.  If I have an advantage over everyone, it’s that I think a lot. I told myself that from now on, I was going to wake up at 7 in the morning, lay in bed till 8, and think.”
This “thinking time” got him motivated. He packed his family into the car and moved to New Mexico, where he built an art foundry and gallery. “Santa Fe was the only place I knew where I could wear Hush Puppies and blue jeans and make a living.”

Fenn bought a Navy T-28C (tail hook) out of mothballs in Tucson and restored it for fun. He also bought Rockwell Commander 112TC and a Piper Malibu for business. He put a turbine engine in the Malibu. When Forrest Fenn stopped flying he had 7,440 hours of time.

‘I sold my business after 17 years and retired to write 11 books on art, archaeology, ethnology, history, a few biographies, and 3 memoirs. At age 87, and 64 years of marriage, I’m resting with the devout understanding that making plans is antagonistic to freedom. Now, between naps I sit and water my trees.

• Like 4

Forrest Fenn has a nephew, Crayton Fenn, who deserves some shout out.  The book on his life will include such things as the discovery of the wreck of the HMS Agamemnon off of Uruguay to the work he has done to help rid Puget Sound of derelict fish gear to searching for the wreck of the SS Yukon, where the "front fell off" and took the load of Yukon gold with it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 11:32 AM, Windward said:

Wasn't @Guitar hunting for this with claims of getting close?

Hell yes. Had a few great adventures with family on trips out of state looking.  Got a little bent looking but had fun.

On 6/9/2020 at 6:08 PM, Point Break said:

Let’s just say......there were harder experiences for most than sleeping in clean sheets every night.........but still......good job! 

Did they get clean sheets at the Hanoi Hilton?

On 6/8/2020 at 2:36 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Yes, mabey it wase hime that founde it..............            :)                   

I thought Guitar was a left coaster?  Found by somebody back east..

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Sad that people are so whacked that they sue over someone succeeding where they failed. Nice that Fenn lived to see the treasure found, and found by someone who took a road less traveled in assessing the meaning of the poem.

WL