Whilst sorting through the large collection of sail bags that came with the 1985 IOR 34 Davidson i came across this anomalous sail. Anomalous in that is has Hanks on a single forestay foil boat.  The sail is Signed both sides?? The signatures are dated 14/07/75??

Best theories Ladies and Gents? 

CCA4A86C-EC13-4444-808E-662A443B1B4D.jpeg

FE261E74-36FC-4CBB-8607-06B480DF07BC.jpeg

27574FF1-47A0-40AD-B256-06528741F4CB.jpeg

85 Davo 34 would almost certainly had a foil,  (probably one of those multi part jobs that pinched the luff & locked the jib up there!)

Going on the plastic hanks I doubt it was a 75 model storm jib,  & it doesn't look stiff enough to me.

Best guess at some stage in her life someone decided to try it as a staysail.  Another possibility is that at some time in the last 50 (well 35 anyway), years it has been accidentally mixed up with your boats sails and stayed with the boat ever since.  Come to think on this is probably the best guess!

1 hour ago, Editor said:

my new genoa staysail

Pm me an address for shipping, i’ll trade you some sweet Anarchy stickers or such for it:)

1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

85 Davo 34 would almost certainly had a foil,  (probably one of those multi part jobs that pinched the luff & locked the jib up there!)

Going on the plastic hanks I doubt it was a 75 model storm jib,  & it doesn't look stiff enough to me.

Best guess at some stage in her life someone decided to try it as a staysail.  Another possibility is that at some time in the last 50 (well 35 anyway), years it has been accidentally mixed up with your boats sails and stayed with the boat ever since.  Come to think on this is probably the best guess!

I agree with the foil assertion. 

1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

Storm jib, designed to work even if your foil fails?  Is that the Davo 34 that was called "Invader" in the 90s in Sydney?

I really like the thought that someone that had previously owned or sailed on her had the forethought to add such a sail

i’m unsure if she ever went by ‘Invader’ This one Started in 85/86 as “SingaporeGirl” then “Legend” Then SingaporeGirl again so far..

2 hours ago, FinnFish said:

Looks pretty heavy clothe. Old storm sail that's been measured for comp(?).

I doubt the 1985 IOR 34 Davidson came out with a headstay foil. 

This sail (unlike the other new storm sails in the inventory) 

seems to be made of, an fold like, the same plastic as credit cards are made of..... Nearly.. lol

its thin but as hard as the devils forehead. 
the plastic hanks look new and they have bronze spring pins that work perfectly. 

except this is the B516 hank talked about above ;) The one pictured is most definitely plastic.

image.png.ea4bce15d188751a6029eb39474fd823.png

The plastic version from Pacific Nylon Plastics. PNPA.com.au

image.png.1c69f8aa2d34af235490a69d46c6871c.png

• Like 1

Def a storm jib, signatures are from measurer's certifying dimensions. Plastic hanks- it could have been meant to hoist hanked on a tight spi halyard. There was no enforced requirement to prove your safety systems actually would work back then

• Like 1

So it seems that it may be the hail mary get out of dodge jury rig jib. Its is small with a foot of only 2m. It appears to be in excellent condition considering its apparent age. I have washed its bag and i will label it “Hanked on jib”(Plans W,T&F.)

Thanks folks. 

How's this for an "out of the box thinking" theory? Follow me with this. ^_^

In the original post by the OP,  the bottom photo shows the measurement stamps and signatures. One of the stamps looks like CORK 1975. Now the Kingston Olympics was '76 and the CORK (Canadian Olympic Classes Regatta) regatta was established as the "Test event" of the time. The keelboat class at the time was the Soling. One of the measurement signatures is reversed and could say KA 51 (??)

Now the patches in the photos are too small to be made as a storm jib and the shaping in the foot is too deep.

I think what you have there FixInGit is a Soling jib.

• Like 1

Very interesting @Jethrow and @lydia 

i have the very rough measurement sketch i made the other week. I will post it tomorrow. It does appear as though one signature has under it “KA 51”.

Thanks for the thought, the plot thickens....... :-)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jethrow said:

@FixinGit , I should also add I did a bunch of miles, and had some great tours, on the Davo 34 LeRoy Brown back in the 90's. Great time indeed! :D

A legendary boat from what i read. Consider yourself hence forth mandatorily conscripted into my ‘brains trust’ as i try to get my mind around single handing an IOR race rig.:D

Thanks. 

On 6/13/2020 at 6:22 PM, FixinGit said:

Pm me an address for shipping, i’ll trade you some sweet Anarchy stickers or such for it:)

I agree with the foil assertion. 

I really like the thought that someone that had previously owned or sailed on her had the forethought to add such a sail

i’m unsure if she ever went by ‘Invader’ This one Started in 85/86 as “SingaporeGirl” then “Legend” Then SingaporeGirl again so far..

This sail (unlike the other new storm sails in the inventory) 

seems to be made of, an fold like, the same plastic as credit cards are made of..... Nearly.. lol

its thin but as hard as the devils forehead. 
the plastic hanks look new and they have bronze spring pins that work perfectly. 

Singapore Girl recently moved onto the marina at MHYC. 

18 hours ago, FixinGit said:

... as i try to get my mind around single handing an IOR race rig.:D

Thanks. 

Get REAL good at doing the runners! ;)

54 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Get REAL good at doing the runners! ;)

Yeah theres alot for me to learn with the old girl the runners and the rig in general is new to me as i dont have a pure racing background. Early days yet. :)

5 hours ago, Philc said:

Singapore Girl recently moved onto the marina at MHYC. 

She did indeed @Philc. I was lucky enough to get her in there straight after purchase and off the swing mooring up the harbour a bit. I’m hoping to meet people at MHYC that know her and can share some history with me, fill in the gaps. If you are there and see me there come say Gday.:)