So I have to service the traveler car. Questions:

1. Is this a "Harken Mid Range"? I think so. I looks like it needs 1/4" balls, right?

2. It came off the track when the balls fell out. Is it possible to replace one end cap, put it back on the track, fill it with new balls one at a time and then put the other end cap back on? Or do I need to remove the track and slide it on carefully using the "loader" tool?

And while I'm at it, I found one of the pulleys has cracked. I Googled around, but I can't seem to find a part number for the stainless mount, double pulley arrangement. Ideas?

IMG_0527.jpg.05e5f8f0f923dd152264b3132e96c047.jpg

1. Yes, looks like a mid range car. We had a big boat car and I think the car extended under the pulley more. Also it had a forged not stamped shackle. You can buy Torlon balls cheaper than Harken sells them I think.

2. Sort of:  (a) turn upside down and replace balls using the blue plastic loader (b) remove end cap (c) slide on holding loader in place carefully.(e) replace loader

3. https://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/?p=details&ident=174477&mfc=Harken&sku=1799&prod_name=Big+Boat+Hi-Load+Double+Control+Blocks+(set%2F2)&sectionid=5093   part #1799 but I'd guess it's out of production. I'd try eBay.

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

So I have to service the traveler car. Questions:

1. Is this a "Harken Mid Range"? I think so. I looks like it needs 1/4" balls, right?

2. It came off the track when the balls fell out. Is it possible to replace one end cap, put it back on the track, fill it with new balls one at a time and then put the other end cap back on? Or do I need to remove the track and slide it on carefully using the "loader" tool?

And while I'm at it, I found one of the pulleys has cracked. I Googled around, but I can't seem to find a part number for the stainless mount, double pulley arrangement. Ideas?

IMG_0527.jpg.05e5f8f0f923dd152264b3132e96c047.jpg

Email Harken they're as help as all fuck and often have what you need on the shelf.

• Like 1

If you can’t lay your hands on a loader at short notice then shaving foam will hold the balls long enough to slide it back on the track and still washes out easily. 

pay attention to the number of balls, it is possible to put too many in!

1. You’ve got a tape measure, so you can figure it out https://www.harken.com/uploadedfiles/Product_Support/PDF/M1012.pdf
midrange would need 5/16”

2. Maybe but it’s going to be not fun. Use patience or something beyond that.  The last few are going to be tough. Not enough room to slide the car on from the end, eh?

as for sheave assembly, you might get lucky digging through someone’s old parts. 

39 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Did the balls fall out spontaneously before the car came off the track?

In that case simply replacing them will not solve your problem

Not spontaeous - the plastic end cap tha traps the balls broke. At a minimum I need new end caps and I'm pretty sure I lost some of the balls, so my plan is to buy new end caps and new balls and reassemble. 

Harken's website is very slow right now and I can't get their technical data to check whether what I have is a mid range or a big boat version. I'm hoping someone knows by sight, then I can order the end caps from Harken and the balls from McMaster. I can 3D print a small piece of track to use to assemble everything, but I can't get at the ends of the track because the fiberglass is in the way. I'm hoping someone has a technique for mounting it on the track ball-less, and fitting the balls later. I'm guessing that it's not easy.

• Like 1

The end caps need to be slid onto one end of the track unless you are feeling really lucky about flexing them enough to snap them over the track.  For some sizes Harken makes aluminum replacement caps versus the original plastic ones.

It is possible to load bearings with everything on the track but it is at best a challenge. If you can remove at least one side of your traveler sheaves it will make things easier. As others have mentioned it is possible to put too many bearings into a car, typically 1 extra per side will "fit". If you have too many it will have lots of additional friction.  Shaving cream and then flushing it with hot water can be helpful.  

Sigh, the delema..  Buy a $400 windward sheeting assembly + $100 track..  Decision sucks, but think about it.   Besides the tiller, what does a driver use the most??   Wrestled with the old non captive bearing cars for years...  Too many headaches to list here.  Lost balls, trav getting stuck needing a kick, balls all over the cockpit floor durring a cross..  etc, etc, etc. ..  (and yes they are still rolling around in the bilge) It's a pain in the ass to keep an old trav going.  Replace it and don't think about it for another 20 yrs........IMHO....

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

Sigh, the delema..  Buy a $400 windward sheeting assembly + $100 track..  Decision sucks, but think about it.   Besides the tiller, what does a driver use the most??   Wrestled with the old non captive bearing cars for years...  Too many headaches to list here.  Lost balls, trav getting stuck needing a kick, balls all over the cockpit floor durring a cross..  etc, etc, etc. ..  (and yes they are still rolling around in the bilge) It's a pain in the ass to keep an old trav going.  Replace it and don't think about it for another 20 yrs........IMHO....

Edit to add, ebay and 30 bucks got me a new car......  Windward sheeting assembly and new track were a bit more $$$$$ I must admit...

Just spent a whole day getting balls back in my outhaul car, not a Harken and from France so getting a loader was out of the question. Used Harken Torlon balls to replace the lost ones although I think I got more in the car than came out of it, runs smoothly now.  Part of replacing sheaves in the boom thanks to Zephyrwerks for 1 day turnaround on replacement sheaves, Ed it top drawer. Took several years off my life I think.  A loader is the best way to do it. FPITA!

1 hour ago, Jubblies said:

1. What's the track measurement? Harken mid range is 27mm.
2. Having done this in the past I can only say use the loader, or hate life!

Even with the loader, sometimes it's bing bing bing bing bing bing bing.

13 hours ago, FinnFish said:

Email Harken they're as help as all fuck and often have what you need on the shelf.

Better yet call. 

What a timing, lost my balls as well on similar boat, similar traveler on Sunday race. Too many gybes I guess. Ordered these balls on West Marine site: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/harken--replacement-torlon-balls-25-pack--176463

Will follow the shaving cream technique from this article: https://www.chicagoyachtrigging.com/2013/09/?v=7516fd43adaa

IMG-20200614-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.03adc1964aa02b2b8602973815d531e8.jpeg

2 hours ago, clueless said:

What a timing, lost my balls as well on similar boat, similar traveler on Sunday race. Too many gybes I guess. Ordered these balls on West Marine site: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/harken--replacement-torlon-balls-25-pack--176463

Will follow the shaving cream technique from this article: https://www.chicagoyachtrigging.com/2013/09/?v=7516fd43adaa

IMG-20200614-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.03adc1964aa02b2b8602973815d531e8.jpeg

We lashed ours down to the traveler - we didn't like the look of the direct main load on the small turning blocks bolted to the cockpit sides. I had visions of them pulling through the laminate on a bad gybe. Same type boat, same traveler, same race - who would have guessed that Jeff's event would eat traveler cars.

I just bought a new car. Since the blocks screwed to the car are bent and one of the pulleys is cracked, and the replacement block seems to be EOL,  $300 for a new 4:1 car looked like a better option. Hopefully the P.O. didn't bed the traveler in with 5200 or something stupid like that.

Also, since it's an hour drive and I can't get to my boat until the W/E, I'm guessing that it's a mid-range 27mm track. Can someone confirm?

1 hour ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I'm guessing that it's a mid-range 27mm track. Can someone confirm?

Midrange cars measure 2.75” wide

On 6/15/2020 at 7:59 PM, mgs said:

Midrange cars measure 2.75” wide

I had a go at coping the part into Fusion 360 and printed a replacement. Broken part that let the balls out on the left, my part on the right. I'm trying to decide whether to trust it or not. The only way to print it was to lay it flat, which makes the layer adhesion at the point where the old one broke a critical parameter I'm trying to decide whether to trust it or not.

IMG_0528.thumb.jpg.9b260e390fc277d5d9384fee27be4f15.jpg

8 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I had a go at coping the part into Fusion 360 and printed a replacement. Broken part that let the balls out on the left, my part on the right. I'm trying to decide whether to trust it or not. The only way to print it was to lay it flat, which makes the layer adhesion at the point where the old one broke a critical parameter I'm trying to decide whether to trust it or not.

IMG_0528.thumb.jpg.9b260e390fc277d5d9384fee27be4f15.jpg

What’s the worst that happens? It breaks and you go through it all again?

14 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Could you epoxy a bit of fiberglass to inside where it broke to improve strength?

That's what I was thinking. Better still, print it in layers and then laminate it up with 'glass between?