B&G H2000 update polar from FFD

I have an old B&G H2000 Hercules system, I know the best way to access polar data is via the RS232 connection. However my current setup will not let me and I would like to change it from the FFD.

I know there is a way to manually update the polars from the FFDs. But I can’t remember or find information on it, does anyone know where to change/ update the polar? My best guess would be to use calibrate with something under performance, but I can’t find it.

Brings back many painful memories of stabbing buttons on the FFD.  I remember you can do it, IF you have a Performance Processor.  From memory it is somewhere in here, but in the midst of writing a policy paper.  Don't ask.  https://www.myleselectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/myleselect/pdfs/hercules200004.pdf

18 hours ago, DuncanR said:

Brings back many painful memories of stabbing buttons on the FFD.  I remember you can do it, IF you have a Performance Processor.  From memory it is somewhere in here, but in the midst of writing a policy paper.  Don't ask.  https://www.myleselectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/myleselect/pdfs/hercules200004.pdf

Same for me, but I’ve read the manual up and down now and this time I can’t figure out how to do it :-(

I know you can, because I've done it lots.  I have a feeling it isn't in the H2000 manual, but in an annex of some sort for the Performance Processor.   And as I said, if you don't have one, you can't do it.  Found it here finally, although I don't rememer this sequence.  PERFORM → TACKING, CALBRATE → CAL VAL1 (TAB TYPE)

https://manuals.bandg.com/discontinued/HB-0845-06_(New_h2000_Processor_-_Single_Board).pdf

On 6/21/2020 at 12:21 AM, DuncanR said:

I know you can, because I've done it lots.  I have a feeling it isn't in the H2000 manual, but in an annex of some sort for the Performance Processor.   And as I said, if you don't have one, you can't do it.  Found it here finally, although I don't rememer this sequence.  PERFORM → TACKING, CALBRATE → CAL VAL1 (TAB TYPE)

https://manuals.bandg.com/discontinued/HB-0845-06_(New_h2000_Processor_-_Single_Board).pdf

Thanks (I do have the performance processor, I can use my polars, but not change them).

Cal > table type as above only selects one of several tables (ours is set to 3) but it does not change the polar values. I’m looking for a way to boost my light wind polars, but keep all +10 knots values.

7 hours ago, Expedition said:

For a once-off update, you could get a demo of Expedition and upload from there.

Thanks, I have a full license allready, I use a yachtdevice N2K wifi modul to get data to expedition and a wifi serial link to get data back to H2000 FFDs, works great but does not allow me to download the polars. 

13 hours ago, BobC said:

What are you really trying to accomplish? Adjust your target speeds in light air? Something else? 

Adjust targets/ reaching/ downwind performance. And write  down a copy of it to use with Expedition routing, the polars in H2000 are even if the could use some work in light wind, far better than my current Expedition polars. Typically I sail within 95-102% of my H2000 polar unless it is light, in light air we do 120-130%, polars inside H2000 are from an old owner +10 yrs ago, but still good. 

• 2 months later...

I'm still struggling with reading my polar in my B&G H2000, I can see I’m using table #3 in my processor, but I can’t find any info on how to manipulate or even read the actual speeds stored for each TWS/TWA can anyone remember how to calibrate it? The options under TACKING > CALIBRATE only lets me choose a polar and scale it, not read or change individual numbers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

19 hours ago, Ze Germans said:

You need a H2000 performance processor to have a full serial Interface to exchange data.

I have the Hercules/ Performance processor - I can see the polar speed/targets/optimum wind angles and so on while sailing, but I can't locate them in my FFD. I know from past experience there is a way to manually update them from the FFD, but I can´t remember how it was done. My current wifi computer setup does not let my load the polars to my computer. In order to do it I need to plug in to the RS232 and change all settings from my current ones to baud rates, parity, stop bits etc. for the cable and I'm worried I'll spend hours and hours trying to get it up and running again :(

5 hours ago, fsiljelof said:

I have the Hercules/ Performance processor - I can see the polar speed/targets/optimum wind angles and so on while sailing, but I can't locate them in my FFD. I know from past experience there is a way to manually update them from the FFD, but I can´t remember how it was done. My current wifi computer setup does not let my load the polars to my computer. In order to do it I need to plug in to the RS232 and change all settings from my current ones to baud rates, parity, stop bits etc. for the cable and I'm worried I'll spend hours and hours trying to get it up and running again :(

Have you tried emailing B&G?

18 hours ago, gn4478 said:

Have you tried emailing B&G?

Yes - but B&G has stopped supporting H2000 since many years ago and are not really super service minded when it comes to their legacy hardware.... so no answer from B&G

17 hours ago, Itsabimmerthing said:

Just guessing here: to update polars you need to use HLink? Maybe you could find the answer at Expedition forum?

I know in theory how to do it with NMEA over a serial link and I do have Expedition. But I'm trying to solve it with the FFD old fashion push button style. I know I've done it in the past. My current computer to instrument set up is a Wi-Fi "one way" set up - so I can't ask B&G to send the polars via the Wi-Fi. And I know from the past, setting up the system for cable instead is a lot of changes in both H2000 and Expedition so I'm worrying I might not find my way back to the correct settings :( 

Having supported H2000 In the US for a long time, a long time ago, something tells me that even though everyone remembers doing it they could not. 

There are so many benefits to having a bi-directional link from expo to your processor that if you plan to keep it it’s worth jumping through the interface hoops to achieve. The parts you need are cheap.

Try A&T in Lymington UK or B&G Service in Ft Lauderdale FL for advice and possibly parts. Once serial ports disappeared on laptops I used the Sealevel USB to serial link for years with no issues. 

good luck.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:02 AM, BobC said:

Having supported H2000 In the US for a long time, a long time ago, something tells me that even though everyone remembers doing it they could not. 

There are so many benefits to having a bi-directional link from expo to your processor that if you plan to keep it it’s worth jumping through the interface hoops to achieve. The parts you need are cheap.

Try A&T in Lymington UK or B&G Service in Ft Lauderdale FL for advice and possibly parts. Once serial ports disappeared on laptops I used the Sealevel USB to serial link for years with no issues

good luck.

Thanks, I do have all the parts needed - before wifi I used to have a bi-directional cable with a USB-serial converter. Now I use a oneway Fastnet to N2K converter and a Yacht Devices wifi gateway to get data over wifi at much higher speed than NMEA0183 over wifi. But as it is "one way" I use a second wifi serial link to bring data from Expedition to H2000 (starting data/ layline / additional perfomance data and so on). For sailing it works very good as a two way system - but it can't transfer the polars.