Tell me about the 1D35

21 minutes ago, Skull and Bones said:

Thanks. Tried that, search function does not work.

You sure about that? 

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/search/&q=1d35&search_and_or=or

That took less than 5 seconds.

Although I have to say the search function kind of sucks these days - returning a list of individual posts rather than a list of threads like in the past.

24 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

If you do a google search and have sailing anarchy in the search line it will work as well  better than the forum built in search.

Fixed it for you.

I sailed on a turbo 1d35, converted to a retracting pole and a-sails. it sailed pretty evenly with J111's but rated faster and therefore was often less than competitive. runners were essential. I never liked the "german" main sheet setup on this one, the trimming wasn't fast enough in a prestart to get very aggressive. It might've done better with either bigger winches or something like the Lewmar with the big base for quick trimming. Or just a regular mainsheet.

The loads were really high and tuning the rig was challenging. You needed weight on the rail but I thought the boat sailed pretty stiff in most conditions and would carry a kite when other boats weren't really able to. Yes, build quality could be better and a lot of them are wet, but it was definitely a fun boat - terrifyingly fast downwind in a blow.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Thanks for the tip.  Plus as Ryley said, better than the SA search function.

But neither is as good as the old SA search where you could search by forum and it would often return pages of hits.

I crew on one of the Houston ones (hull #8) semi-regularly (owner lives in New Mexico and flies out to race when he can). We're one of the fastest-rated boats on Galveston Bay but get beat regularly because the boat just isn't competive in the local conditions and doesn't sail to its rating well. It doesn't plane in light wind. Upwind in heavy wind, you need a ton of weight on the rail to keep it flat, unless you reef early and often. In both cases, we can't point as well as any J/Boat, new or old. Ours is semi-turbo, with a fixed sprit but the standard main. It's a wet ride, and in chop the whole boat shakes when you drop off a wave. We do coastal races on it, and once upon a time I was trying to persuade the owner to do R2AK on it... But that shaking makes me nervous.

I still enjoy sailing it because it's technical, and on those rare instances where we do get to go downwind in 18+ kts it's an absolute riot. Unfortunately, our handicap ratings seem to factor the impressive broad reaching speed pretty heavily into the calculations, and we almost never see those conditions. I don't expect we're ever going to win a race on that boat.

I think they were probably a huge amount of fun when you could actually race other 1D35s in one design races. And I bet it would be a hoot on a long downwind race. But it's not great in handicap racing.

One of the problems with the 1D35 is that it is a fast boat. Early in its career it attracted a lot of very serious and talented sailors. As a result, it rapidly got refined in its sail design, boat handling, tuning, etc. and the boats got even faster. That led to a punitive PHRF rating, essentially rating the sailors not the boat. After the one-design action crumbled--in no small part due to the boats not holding up--you were left with a boat/rating that mere club-level champions could not break free of the rating unless it really got its conditions. End result is the 1D35 is pretty much the exact opposite of the standard formula for your PHRF "cheater".

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, J24TrickBag said:

We're one of the fastest-rated boats on Galveston Bay but get beat regularly because the boat just isn't competive in the local conditions and doesn't sail to its rating well.

28 minutes ago, J24TrickBag said:

and on those rare instances where we do get to go downwind in 18+ kts it's an absolute riot.

What are the wind conditions normally like where you sail? Mostly light winds?

12 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I’ve sailed on Galveston Bay several times and it’s not a very windy body of water to sail on. Hot, humid, thunderstorms a lot and too many shrimp boats to count. If the wind dies and you are in a shrimpers way, I think they might just scoop you up in their nets. It’s fun sailing into an alligator gar and have them explode out of the water!

47CA3E27-FA34-4F47-A8D8-C6F28E4C0FF9.jpeg

Far from great boats. As stated, the amount of shit you need to do to make it go is ridiculous and then you have a high rating weird ass boat that almost never wins. Get a Melges 32, where all the good shit comes baked in.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

One of the problems with the 1D35 is that it is a fast boat. Early in its career it attracted a lot of very serious and talented sailors. As a result, it rapidly got refined in its sail design, boat handling, tuning, etc. and the boats got even faster. That led to a punitive PHRF rating, essentially rating the sailors not the boat. After the one-design action crumbled--in no small part due to the boats not holding up--you were left with a boat/rating that mere club-level champions could not break free of the rating unless it really got its conditions. End result is the 1D35 is pretty much the exact opposite of the standard formula for your PHRF "cheater".

Perfect analysis.

Number of original 1D35 owners like Don Cherish are excellent sailors, but the OD Fleet in Lake Michigan was doomed to be DOA due to the poor build and discontinuous D2 shrouds that made it more difficult to power or depower the rig especially since there was no backstay.

22 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Fckn sucks.

Never stepped aboard one, but sailed around them in Houston bunch times and they never looked competitive

Jesus-wept.jpg

That’s your “honest assessment” ... seriously? Come on, you are better than that.

On 6/20/2020 at 10:24 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Summer racing is almost all under 10 kts. We get some winter days in the upper teens, but it's usually not blowing that hard here unless it's storming.

On 6/20/2020 at 6:15 PM, JimBowie said:

Fckn sucks. We used to beat the 1D35 handicap with J22.

and I beat a Farr 395 and a Farr 30 on handicap with an Elliott 770. Farr 395's and 30s fckn suck too. Oh, and I also regularly beat melges 24's with that boat. damn they suck too! 

19 hours ago, Editor said:

Far from great boats. As stated, the amount of shit you need to do to make it go is ridiculous and then you have a high rating weird ass boat that almost never wins. Get a Melges 32, where all the good shit comes baked in.

Agreed. and especially since you can find 32s for less than a 1d35, and if you're in a light air venue you'll do just fine. There are ergonomic issues with the 1d35 that I had forgotten about as well.

5 hours ago, ryley said:

There are ergonomic issues with the 1d35 that I had forgotten about as well.

Ugh, like the lack of handholds down below... It's downright dangerous in the cabin on a hard beat.

14 hours ago, J24TrickBag said:

Summer racing is almost all under 10 kts. We get some winter days in the upper teens, but it's usually not blowing that hard here unless it's storming.

I just spent all of this time whining and the forecast for our coastal race this weekend is a steady 15+. Hooray!

8 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

How does the 1D35 compare to a FT10? They must have a similarly fucked rating.

Most PHRF ratings for FT10 in OD configuration is between 48 and 54.

Most PHRF ratings for 1D35 in OD configuration is between 30 and 36.

And for those who whine about the lack of handrails down below, here is an easy fix: 

https://whitewatermarineinc.com/more-stainless-fixtures/custom-stainless-boat-parts

• Like 1
2 hours ago, glass said:

Most PHRF ratings for FT10 in OD configuration is between 48 and 54.

Most PHRF ratings for 1D35 in OD configuration is between 30 and 36.

Thanks..

I'm always keeping an eye on the local market and there are 2 1D35's been listed for a while. Normally I look up the ORCi ratings to compare boats to what race at my club, although we don't race with ORCi, but boats have the rating for the stability index for ocean racing.

Found a list of PHRF ratings for some club boats, so a 1D35 has to match or beat an A40RC. That is similar to what ORCi suggests. 

1D 35   36
Archambault A31 Aluminum rig   111
Archambault A35   69
Archambault A40RC Bulb Keel   36
BENETEAU First 40  

FLYING TIGER 10M   54
SYDNEY 38   27

Because the Performance Handicap System (PHS) in Aus is purely based on your race performances, it's possible to win on any boat. To win regularly your crew work needs to be constantly improving and the boat can perform in a wide range of conditions. In that sense, the 1D35 design is not penalised. But if you want to be in the running for serious trophies, you need a measurement handicap like IRC and ORCi or AMS depending where you race. 

I would assume that the 1D35 is potentially a good boat if you like passage races and the prevailing wind is strong and behind the fleet. Then you might get lucky?

34 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Because the Performance Handicap System (PHS) in Aus is purely based on your race performances, it's possible to win on any boat. To win regularly your crew work needs to be constantly improving and the boat can perform in a wide range of conditions. In that sense, the 1D35 design is not penalised. But if you want to be in the running for serious trophies, you need a measurement handicap like IRC and ORCi or AMS depending where you race. 

I would assume that the 1D35 is potentially a good boat if you like passage races and the prevailing wind is strong and behind the fleet. Then you might get lucky?

Your or the boats Performance?

As most Know the RYA PY is on averaged boat performances of the same type, but a local level a handicap committee decides on a Provisional PY for one off boats.. What happens though, is if the crew is good they tend to get handicapped more and more heavily as their performance improves.

This can be seen on the Norfolk Broads cruiser class, where there are few Identical boats, a top crew will buy a boat and then start winning things until the gradually revised handicap makes it impossible. Then if they have the money. they'll move to another boat bought from a poor sailor and the cycle begins again.. Because these boats are so expensive, especially the full blown racers with carbon masts etc, there isn't that much churn rate..

An ideal Handicap boat , is one where there a lot of them but few are top racers, that gets a lower average handicap, so allows a top crew to win.. without affecting the overall handicap..

4 minutes ago, The Q said:

Your or the boats Performance?

realistically, it's your performance.

If the club gets two identical new top level race boats joining the fleet, one with a top level crew and the other a group of hacks. The club handicapper may give them the same initial handicap, however if both crews are well known to the handicapper, he would probably penalise the top crew. Once the top crew has been penalised enough to stop them winning, then their handicap will fall and they can win again.

Personally, I like the sound of the handicap system they have in NZ. The base handicap is based on the boat and the crew performance gives a percentage adjustment that is capped. This means that there is a limit to how much a top crew is penalised and shit crew have to improve enough to get their boat sailing at the bottom end of the range to get results.

The NZ handicap system does sound interesting..

We just use a personnal handicap system for one or two  races a year.

All your  performances since the last personal handicap are averaged out to give you your personal handicap, the times are added to the race start time, so the slowest starts first, the fastest starts last. and if every thing was perfect, you'd all finish over the line together.. Doesn't happen, but does make for some exciting finishes..

• 7 months later...

We are one prepping for the Transpac.  Spent good money with Ron Moore to prep the hull. Sucks to do beer can and bay races races in SF as the Melges sport boat spanks us. The Js are hot on our tail. I believe there are 6 locally - only 3 come out to race with any regularity. Alex on Alpha Puppy was most active one I can think of.  We have gone faster than 18 kts down wind which is a hoot and a handful. More points as others mentioned, the boat requires meat to go upwind - not very helpful in the age of Covid. The lack of hand holds and comfort has added to the issues.  (How many bean bags seats can we fit in the cabin or cockpit before it become homey?) For the amount of money and many hours of free labor put into her, the owner could come close to the purchase price of a new J99. So much for a dollar boat. 

I am happier to sail my 70s half tonner. More comfort and short/solo handed fun. Sure the refreshed 1D35 is cool and keeps getting better, sexier as the dollars continue to flow. Frankly I think my old lead mine is better for guys in fifties to bay race in SF with a good chance of beating a J22 sailed by a blind pig.

1 hour ago, SEC16518 said:

Anyone have any info on the 1999 listed at Sail Northwest? I think it was originally from MD.....

All that you have to know is that  Barry Carroll  built them. Run away as fast as possible.

23 minutes ago, glass said:

All that you have to know is that  Barry Carroll  built them. Run away as fast as possible.

The deck has already been re-cored apparently....Anyone know if the hull was done?  Apparently this was "Blofish" out of MD....

36 minutes ago, pudge said:

Teach me how to sail without a backstay. 

Crank on lots of mainsheet.   The shrouds have 25° of sweep, a backstay is not needed on a standard rig.  Pumping on Headstay removes prebend from mast, making the main even fuller than normal.  Several Turbo 1D35's have added top-masts for the big Aso's.

2 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

Anyone have any info on the 1999 listed at Sail Northwest? I think it was originally from MD.....

This one?

https://sailnorthwest.com/boat/1d35/?sf_data=all&_sfm_condition=Used&_sfm_price=0+2225000&_sfm_length=20+65&_sfm_year=1968+2021

It was at WIRW a few years back, and was way behind the other ID35 in stock configuration (granted that boat is one of the best in the PNW).  The prod is so long, it looks like it came off a TP52.  I can't say if their speed issues were user error or equipment related (their main looked like crap compared to Shrek).

The paint job etc looked really good.  I could not understand why they re-applied the ID35 bow sticker after such an extensive mod to take it out of ID configuration.

13 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

This one?

https://sailnorthwest.com/boat/1d35/?sf_data=all&_sfm_condition=Used&_sfm_price=0+2225000&_sfm_length=20+65&_sfm_year=1968+2021

It was at WIRW a few years back, and was way behind the other ID35 in stock configuration (granted that boat is one of the best in the PNW).  The prod is so long, it looks like it came off a TP52.  I can't say if their speed issues were user error or equipment related (their main looked like crap compared to Shrek).

The paint job etc looked really good.  I could not understand why they re-applied the ID35 bow sticker after such an extensive mod to take it out of ID configuration.

Every 1D35 who got a nose job never took a big hit for it. most lamented they wish they had gone bigger. Moreover the boats have gone with an electric winch which often never gets noted in the PHRF.

Cyrano Bergerac: "A great nose is the banner of a great man, a generous heart, a towering spirit, an expansive soul--such as I unmistakably am, and such as you dare not to dream of being, with your bilious weasel's eyes and no nose to keep them apart!"

307a40ed414a52bb4fb0db575bb047d5.jpg

2 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

This one?

A lot of money for a boat that needs an entire sail inventory! 

2 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

This one?

The bow sticker is kinda like racing stripes on an old Honda Civic.....adds at least 10-15hp

On 6/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, Editor said:

Never wins....LOL. 

E886FBAE-C57E-4771-972B-3FD7733FC47F.jpeg

• Like 1

sailed one a bunch a while back. they got a reputation early on of being fast so expect to get murdered on your rating. as for the boat itself: downwind, especially in a breeze they're plenty quick. upwind you need weight on the rail and a good main trimmer to make it go. as with many carroll marine boats build quality was an issue so buyer beware and get a good surveyor to go over the boat. that said 3 of them successfully did the transpac on more than one occasion so they're not guaranteed to be bad offshore. much as it pains me to agree with scooter he's right. if you're interested in a turbo'd 1D35 just buy a melges 32 and be done with it. 

I’ve sailed on one for many years back in the day here in NW and SF. They can be fast but require a lot of tweaking and good crew. Polars are your friend! Rig tuning is a pain due to adjusting D2’s and D3’s while swinging in the breeze while adjusting ever time the breeze goes up or down 5 kts. Main and bow need to be spot on 110% of the time. 

On 2/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, airacer said:

Never wins....LOL. 

E886FBAE-C57E-4771-972B-3FD7733FC47F.jpeg

Even a broken clock shows correct time every 12 hours.

On 2/22/2021 at 1:23 PM, pudge said:

Teach me how to sail without a backstay. 

U 20, 505, Tasar, K1, Finn, Laser?  Lots of others....

On 6/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, The Q said:

The NZ handicap system does sound interesting..

We just use a personnal handicap system for one or two  races a year.

All your  performances since the last personal handicap are averaged out to give you your personal handicap, the times are added to the race start time, so the slowest starts first, the fastest starts last. and if every thing was perfect, you'd all finish over the line together.. Doesn't happen, but does make for some exciting finishes..

A comment on our PHRF, its a good system and as you say boats have a base rating for their type and a performance range allowing for skill.  You apply for renewal each year noting any changes to the configuration but you’re obligated of course to notify the committee if you do anything between times. That said the rating changes promptly  according to your results and you will get the letter telling you your new numbers as soon as the computers pick it up. Its a national system so I presume they have a vast troves of data  to rely on. We also have PHS type club handicaps with all the ills they prone to, politics etc but most racing is done on PHS as we have relatively few phrf events. 

There is a local who has collected performance data for years and his site is the best if you really want to see how you are doing, probably the best I have seen www.racetrack.org.nz

On 2/26/2021 at 4:06 PM, Wemedge said:

I would argue that chico consistently does much better than a broken clock.

Race results and many other who expressed their negative opinions in regards to 1D35, aka the PITA that bankrupted Caroll Marine, disagree with you.

https://yachtscoring.com/yacht_performance.cfm?Yacht_ID=156195

19 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Good sailors with a big budget.  They would do well in any fairly rated boat.

That is fair. Their performance certainly doesn't speak for the build quality of Caroll boats, as there are obvious issues which many others have reported. Their performance and results in the Mackinac races for example show that the boats are relevant and turbo-ing the design can produce a competitive boat. 

23 hours ago, Wemedge said:

That is fair. Their performance certainly doesn't speak for the build quality of Caroll boats, as there are obvious issues which many others have reported. Their performance and results in the Mackinac races for example show that the boats are relevant and turbo-ing the design can produce a competitive boat. 

The design still looks fairly modern to this day, especially with tweaks. One of the coolest boats from the late 90's era in my opinion. Scot needs to make a video for it. 

• Like 1
On 2/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, Amati said:

U 20, 505, Tasar, K1, Finn, Laser?  Lots of others....

I'm talkin bout larger keelboats here. My Elliott 770 was a beast to tame. 

1 hour ago, pudge said:

Bendy rig, or stiff rig?  Never thought to ask.  What degree sweep spreaders?  

If the OP is really a member of Skull & Bones, isn't a 1D35 a little small for him?  To avoid embarrassing the brethren, I'd suggest something on the order of a Swan 65 or a Concordia yawl.  Impressive, but not ostentatious.  Like having dinner with the Cabots or the Lodges.

23 hours ago, pudge said:

How do you figure? I thought my 770 was a beast to tame, but we were just sailing it wrong. Once we learned what (not) to do, she was an absolute joy in everything from 5 to 25. Sometimes I wish I'd never sold mine, especially since it disappeared off the radar right after getting to st. pete. :/

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Amati said:

Bendy rig, or stiff rig?  Never thought to ask.  What degree sweep spreaders?  

depends on the year. most of them were converted to a very stiff and overbuilt rig. don't remember the exact numbers on the spreaders. Adjustable headstay but you had to be careful not to invert the rig with that. Lots of sheet tension and playing the traveler. you could really make those boats fly upwind and down.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ryley said:

How do you figure? I thought my 770 was a beast to tame, but we were just sailing it wrong. Once we learned what (not) to do, she was an absolute joy in everything from 5 to 25. Sometimes I wish I'd never sold mine, especially since it disappeared off the radar right after getting to st. pete. :/

I don't disagree, I just missed having a backstay from time to time. We hung right with a well sailed J80 upwind for miles during a distance race with their rig completely tweaked in 20+. However, I still have a little pain in my elbows and shoulders...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ryley said:

We ran the jib halyard aft and cranked it tight once just to be safe after a few wipeouts at 12+, you can kind of see it here (yes should've reefed the main). OP - sorry for the hijack. 

67125107_667120417046392_6388291599670968320_o.jpg

• Like 1

continuing the hijack, I don't think you could reef that main if I recall. it was either up or down. I also had Jim Taylor design a new rudder that Chris Small built. the class rudder wiped out so easily. but I can imagine the wipeouts if you were reaching with that kiet and not getting to soak. Seven was always fun to watch although mostly I just saw its stern.

1 hour ago, ryley said:

continuing the hijack, I don't think you could reef that main if I recall. it was either up or down. I also had Jim Taylor design a new rudder that Chris Small built. the class rudder wiped out so easily. but I can imagine the wipeouts if you were reaching with that kiet and not getting to soak. Seven was always fun to watch although mostly I just saw its stern.

The rudder was tough, tiller and rudder attachment a little more suspect. There was a point where it literally popped at which point there was no return, very little warning but you knew it was tight. I got good at toeing that line. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pudge said:

We ran the jib halyard aft and cranked it tight once just to be safe after a few wipeouts at 12+, you can kind of see it here (yes should've reefed the main). OP - sorry for the hijack. 

67125107_667120417046392_6388291599670968320_o.jpg

Do I see a runner?  Edit:  oh, that’s the jib halyard.  That didn’t warp the hull?  Gusty?

22 minutes ago, Amati said:

Do I see a runner?  Edit:  oh, that’s the jib halyard.  That didn’t warp the hull?  Gusty?

I mean we didn't crank it on like a runner, just snug enough to maybe pull the mast back a bit. When you can watch the headstay go completely slack and dangle a bit charging downwind smacking into the back of waves and over them hitting 16's with no backstay you know your time may run out. 

1 hour ago, pudge said:

I mean we didn't crank it on like a runner, just snug enough to maybe pull the mast back a bit. When you can watch the headstay go completely slack and dangle a bit charging downwind smacking into the back of waves and over them hitting 16's with no backstay you know your time may run out. 

Perhaps it is just the angle of the photograph, but the bottom section of the mast looks like it is has bend aft - like there is a reverse pre-bend.  Looks like the first picture in a series, ending with the mast coming down.

I've owned two 1D35's, one turbo and one standard. All the information posted before, most of it's correct. The biggest payoff is to get the Quantum tuning guide and then follow it. If you're going to turbo the boat, you should also go up in your spin halyard. The booms are so long that the a-kites hide behind them, which means 165 true wind angles are about the best that you can get.

3 hours ago, pudge said:

we were doing about 12 knots back into Boston harbor on a pretty reachy day and the headstay was dangling like usual until I realized it was REALLY loose. Hitting waves had knocked the line out of the forestay adjuster cleat. Fortunately we were able to get someone up there to tighten it before we had to turn upwind or it could have been interesting.

@Team Subterfuge, it was a deck-stepped mast and a pretty solid section. It was overbuilt for the boat but it's not uncommon to find a bit of reverse bend in photographs of the US 770s, especially downwind. It took me a long time to tune that bend out upwind, especially with how the forestay adjuster worked.

Last hijack - @pudge, I think this is that same sail maybe in better days?

317821_10150282501174885_280684194884_7461688_4262338_n.jpg

6 hours ago, ryley said:

we were doing about 12 knots back into Boston harbor on a pretty reachy day and the headstay was dangling like usual until I realized it was REALLY loose. Hitting waves had knocked the line out of the forestay adjuster cleat. Fortunately we were able to get someone up there to tighten it before we had to turn upwind or it could have been interesting.

@Team Subterfuge, it was a deck-stepped mast and a pretty solid section. It was overbuilt for the boat but it's not uncommon to find a bit of reverse bend in photographs of the US 770s, especially downwind. It took me a long time to tune that bend out upwind, especially with how the forestay adjuster worked.

Last hijack - @pudge, I think this is that same sail maybe in better days?

Close but no cigar...unless those reef points were added. The top section on mine looks a bit more square. 

67388406_668358883589212_4253629575805796352_n.jpg

69687421_10216979441811154_6995954928602578944_o.jpg

127042610_10220723273164598_2175690115613849465_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

So I brought a 1D35 in 2019 in Oz, so thought I pipe in a little. The boat was modified to be a Asymetrical with masthead and backstays.

I too was put off about it been Carroll Marine, but do some research and you will discover some things, some of his boats do have quality issues, but some of the problems I found in different boats I would argue are superficial or may not have been his fault. What I am saying is look at the boat model and research, those blanket statements of "run away" are not helpful.

So the 1D35 had gelcoat issues for about half the boats, gelcoat does not chemically bond to epoxy, so they used a product in between to allow them to do this. I have read so many reasons for failure, like water soluble, but I've got cracks in gelcoat and it is still there, so this can't be true. There is only 2 items that make sense, Carroll didn't apply the chemical correctly or the supplier had a bad batch. However this is the only thing ive found for 1D35, new this is a bad thing, old doesn't matter, either the boat has had gelcoat removed and is lighter or it is stuck and your fine.

Now build quality, I can't fault much of the boat or super structure, it looks good inside and out, I've had water tests done for moisture etc and it all came back fine. This boat has lived its life in the water, but as always any boat/repair etc could mean you have a bad boat. However the furniture does fit the build quality issues, it is not finished well, the outside is, but when you look inside the furniture it isn't. Looks like the apprentice did the furniture. Now is this an issue? For a mumm 36 where furniture helps make the boat rigid I would say yes, but the 1d35 has little furniture and what is there is basically sikaflexed in only. Most the boats strength is from the super structure.

The only issues are compression dents where pit stands and cabin top from clew, I've seen the same thing on modern lightweight boats. So essentially my 1D35 is fine, it has the original gelcoat, lives in the water and to date hasnt had any major issues. I've spent alot more time improving/fixing people's add ons and changes than touching the actual boat.

Ok the boat itself is a blast, she is asy only with a block at the very top making her 100% masthead. She needs to be kept light, im running Cat4 gear and find she struggles to keep up with a mumm36 with sym in about 8-12. She will never do well in IRC and so/so in ORCi, she wasn't built for that, buy another boat. She took a bit to figure out, gybing in twilight was a challenge, big main and easing mainsheet, trick was 1 wrap on winch drum to ease main quick enough. Also took a bit to get her to behave in over 20, but over 1st year we have that sorted and 25 knots doesn't phase us etc.

She likes to sit at say 21 apparent, but that isn't fast for her, come down to 23-24, ease sails a bit and the speed increase and lift on keel is huge. She wasn't built for asy, but she handles them well, she is balanced and you can really lean her over and still have plenty of rudder power, I push her hard some times shy and can easily feel the limit (until wave pulls rudder out lol). Twilight isn't her strong point, she needs a kite out the front to balance her.

She still uses rod rigging (don't use anything else, wasn't designed like that, detunes). Modern sails make the rig adjustments less critical, I set it for 15 knots, and use ram and backstay to tweak.

Happy to answer any more questions, but hope that gives you some relevant info. I've contacted many 1D35 owners and many do major Ocean crossings in them, they are a good boat.

Peter

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, SEC16518 said:

It’s one dock over from me at Shilshole and used to be on my dock. It doesn’t seem to get a lot of use.