Looking for a new watch...

Thinking about this one, Casio GWN-100B-1B. image.png.d6ae26dc1a67c3596ce454af421e93b7.png

Any comments?

What I am looking for is digital/analog, solar, WWV time sync, sweep second hand and decent backlighting. Not sure I need the tide function (ow accurate is it!?!) Barometer and compass are kinda cool but not necessary.

Pour on. Sarcasm readily accepted.

Plus the ironman always works, and in the same as it has for the past 20 years. Miss the 5 minute gun, quick reset to four, like it has always been. No stumbling around looking for buttons, or how to sync down when the smart watch sync'd up. Replace the battery every 8 years or so and you are good to go. Had to order a new band for mine after 10 years... $5 from timex.

Once you get a decent smartwatch olde school won't cut it anymore.  The fitbit ionic is my favorite.  Reliable, good gps, music, good apps.  I also have a Garmin and wife has apple.  Go on eBay and get a refurbished ionic or garmin.  Great for all kinds of activities.

• Like 1

Might be more than you want to spend (although, if you're looking at a $450 Casio, maybe not much), but I bought a Garmin Fenix several years back and love it.

Can configure the screen to look like any of a zillion watch-faces (the one I use most commonly is both analog and digital).  Built in GPS, all sorts of fitness apps, all the timer/stopwatch/alarm gadgets you'd want, configurable start timer plus some interesting sailing features (eg., can mark the ends of the line and it will constantly tell you time and distance to the line)

I wore Citizen "eco-drive" radio-synced watches for years.  Between the utter reliability, the dual-time-zone displays, etc... thought they were pretty much the best combination of an every-day watch and a sailing watch.  I like the Fenix better.  The only thing I miss about the Citizens is that they automagically recharged from being exposed to light, the Fenix needs to be plugged into USB every couple of weeks to recharge it, but... it's worth it.

$.02

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Thinking about this one, Casio GWN-100B-1B. image.png.d6ae26dc1a67c3596ce454af421e93b7.png

Any comments?

What I am looking for is digital/analog, solar, WWV time sync, sweep second hand and decent backlighting. Not sure I need the tide function (ow accurate is it!?!) Barometer and compass are kinda cool but not necessary.

Pour on. Sarcasm readily accepted.

Too busy.   You want a watch that gives you the information instantly even in difficult viewing conditions.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, some dude said:

Timex Ironman $50 at Big Five and when it dies, go pick up another.  Tells time, lights up at night, has a decent start timer.  You already have instruments that tell you all the other shit. 

THIS ↑↑↑

20 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

like others have said, a little busy...   it's like looking down at a shifter on a big rig dumper,  there's multiple sticks, shifts, and switches etc...     with all the functionality, it's going to be thick to cram everything in and undoubtedly (to me) heavy...plus like anything that tries to do everything it'll be average capability at all of them,   if it's under your fouties, you're going to have to unstrap the velcro to get to it..      you'll need to take your reading glasses out to see anything too..   and finally, you're not going to impress the chicks with it...

so you have to ask yourself, what functions do i want?   compass / gps? hopefully you'll have better instruments , if not , i'd get a cheaper watch and spend money on a furuno..      starting / time, i'd opt for a cheap Optimum Time, but I've gone to a  cheap gps tablet and one of the aps ,  iregatta, sailfreegps, or sailracer.net

if you want to think you look super cool to the chicks go buy one of these  m116680-0002.png&imwidth=680

If you passed High School all you need is a second hand.  If your like me I get a crew member yelling me TIME all prestart.  I love it.

Secondly, I have had "sailing watches".  Most are...sub par.  I found the best one.  80.00 too

2 reasons:  It has a second hand which is visible and,

It glows like a campfire at night.

Maybe you don't port race and sail overnight or sail at night at all, I do and it is huge.

Ironman Timex for the cost are great, but the first one I ever bought the indiglo never worked hence why I am so bent on at night readablility.

I have an Omega, Tissot touch, and a Dive watch and I always go to this one.  

20200623_135603_HDR.jpg

20 hours ago, some dude said:

Timex Ironman $50 at Big Five and when it dies, go pick up another.  Tells time, lights up at night, has a decent start timer.  You already have instruments that tell you all the other shit. 

This ^^ 100%

good quality, cheap price, does what you need. 

17 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Do you guys really look at your wrists, twenty seconds before the gun? 

All the time.. after 10 it is playing boats while counting down in your head and building speex (10 is the limit with my minimal brain capacity)

5 hours ago, Varan said:

All the time.. after 10 it is playing boats while counting down in your head and building speex (10 is the limit with my minimal brain capacity)

I found that it spoiled my concentration.  When I was racing a dinghy, I had my Optimum Time mounted at the forward end of the cockpit (below the compass) and my crew pushed the buttons. 
When crewing, I sometimes wear it on my wrist and read out the time for the helmsman who then can concentrate on other things. 

7 hours ago, Mike in CT said:

This ^^ 100%

good quality, cheap price, does what you need. 

+1.  Like any good tool is both simple and reliable.  As mentioned up thread the replacement bands are pretty cheap too.  I think I am on my second or third iron man over like 30 years and maybe 4-5 bands.

• Like 1

I still have and use my Casio steel case mariner watch that I got sometime around 1980.  Replaced the battery twice, still works great.  

Those confusing displays are not to my liking.  And what is with the friggin giant sizes? It's like having a baseball on your wrist. Wtf?

I use the $50 Ironman with the vibration alarm. It works great both inshore and offshore. 

I wake up a lot to pull down different grib files offshore and don’t want to wake the off watch. The vibration alarm once you are use to it wakes me up every time and no one else. 

21 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if you want to think you look super cool to the chicks go buy one of these  m116680-0002.png&imwidth=680

those are configurable from 0-10 mins countdown and have a flyback / fly forward feature (if you were late for the gun) and work great.   very simple and few keystrokes.

Plus it is fully automatic, maybe a couple bucks more than the casio but think of all the money you'll save on batteries

I have 2 Ironman, I ordered a backup on eBay for under $20 with an orange band.  It's now my go to (well, when racing is safe again) because it's easy to find. Since I mainly want a countdown and sometimes the other stuff they all work exactly the same. No learning curves and you never lose a $19 watch.

• Like 1
On 6/22/2020 at 8:03 PM, some dude said:

^^This^^

But I gotta say, if you're spending $50 on one, you're spending too much.  Timex Iron man normally runs $30-$35.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Watch and I am pretty happy with it.  I was originally thinking of getting a smart watch and replacing my lost timex with either another Ironman - which worked great - or an Optimum Time sailing watch.  The Galaxy Watch seemed to tick most boxes and I didn't need a dedicated sailing watch:  (1)  Looks like a watch and not a box on my wrist for everyday use, (2) the screen and technology is awesome,  (3)  has a fitness tracker,  (4) was not expensive like an Apple Watch or Garmin watch, (5) downloadable sailing timer app with gps speed (once I was able to figure out how to download from Galaxy Store using an android phone), (6) and it is waterproof.

The Galaxy Watch is a sharp bit of technology but as I previously learned the hard way, great hardware without software is s#%t.  For me the apps are adequate but much more variety in other smart watch ecosystems.

Rolex Yacht Master is enviably slick but costs more than my boat. Never buy a watch that costs more than the boat. 

I have aTudor Pelagos so I am on thin ice...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kraftwerk said:

Rolex Yacht Master is enviably slick but costs more than my boat. Never buy a watch that costs more than the boat. 

you'll never get the chicks...

run a free app on my tablet , bluetooth to a small speaker,  at 10 secs the beeps kick in , 5 seconds dbl beeps..  don't have to look at anything and can concentrate on that idiot barging..

16 hours ago, Kraftwerk said:

The only boat I actually own cost me $1, so I'm down to drawing a watch on my wrist with a Bic pen. It's not so bad, unless you miss your start or the RC does a recall... The reset function is a bitch.