Getting Tough With The Maskless

8 hours ago, Jules said:

Before COVID, were they promoting this at hospitals?

Not one mask in that image?  No T shirts with ‘freedom to infect’ printed in large letters either.  No t shirts with ‘freedom from infection’.  Koolaide?  Anyone?

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the door into my waiting room there is a large polite sign explaining that (i) We only allow three people at a time into the waiting room and (ii) In order to protect the patients and the medical s

Years ago I went into a liquor store to buy some Appletons, the Asian guy serving had a mask on and I asked him why because I was curious after years of seeing only Asian people wear them. He said he

From an article in the Chicago Tribune The best pro-health sign I’ve seen this pandemic is the one posted at both North Side locations of the Chicago Bagel Authority sandwich shop:

Posted Images

On 6/24/2020 at 11:58 AM, Jules said:

I like the idea of masks when inside where social distancing is not a guarantee.  But if you're outside where social distancing is easy, then no need for masks. 

I wish our politicians would first apply common sense and reason instead of simply making knee-jerk reactions.

How wide are the docks at your marina?  Or do we scurry out on the fingers to avoid the unmasked?

39 minutes ago, Amati said:

How wide are the docks at your marina?  Or do we scurry out on the fingers to avoid the unmasked?

Scurry, go on then, Scurry....  I wanna watch...  :D

1 hour ago, Amati said:

Our dock is 15x7 and you have to hand a bottle of rum to the owner (that would be me) to walk on it.  ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Scurry, go on then, Scurry....  I wanna watch...  :D

The show gets better if you cough, sneeze, or retch behind your mask as you scurry  :)

39 minutes ago, Jules said:

Our dock is 15x7 and you have to hand a bottle of rum to the owner (that would be me) to walk on it.  ;)

Does massive alcohol intake kill COVID?  With proper social distancing, of course, which your dock allows. (How did you know to make your dock 15 by 7?B))   A wine club I know needs to know....

15 hours ago, Amati said:

Does massive alcohol intake kill COVID?  With proper social distancing, of course, which your dock allows. (How did you know to make your dock 15 by 7?B))   A wine club I know needs to know....

To your first question - yes, alcohol intake will kill COVID as long as you drink enough.  A case or two of rum would be a good place to start.  Also, we now know sunshine and heat kills COVID and there's plenty of it here.  And since people come to Florida to get drunk, it's a really safe place to escape COVID.  If you need any proof of that, just look at Florida's numbers.  We're winning bigly!

As to your second question - Punta Gorda code says the minimum dock size is 15x7.  And the number of people in any household here rarely exceeds 6.   They knew decades ago COVID was coming and people would need to keep 6' apart (really good fortune tellers here).  Thus the 15x7 minimum dock size for each house.  It holds 6 socially distancing people comfortably, with room for stumbling. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Amati said:

How wide are the docks at your marina?  Or do we scurry out on the fingers to avoid the unmasked

Exposure that infects is also very proportional to time exposed (assuming no coughs or sneezes) Open air, walking past someone 3' away? Walk fast and take a breath before you pass. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zonker said:

Exposure that infects is also very proportional to time exposed (assuming no coughs or sneezes) Open air, walking past someone 3' away? Walk fast and take a breath before you pass. 

I close my eyes too.  :)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Jules said:

...  Thus the 15x7 minimum dock size for each house.  It holds 6 socially distancing people comfortably, with room for stumbling. 

More like room for swaying, any stumbling and you are swimming or within 6 feet

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Covidiots!

Here’s your field guide to the 5 main types of pandemic deniers
https://www.alternet.org/2020/07/heres-your-field-guide-to-the-5-main-types-of-pandemic-deniers/

With international news consistently depicting the United States as the dumbest nation in the developed world, it is as if news of the covidiocy is almost as depressing as news of the virus’s spread itself.

The trend to what is described as America’s move from freedom to “freedumb” has sadly been a long time in the making. The pandemic only painfully reveals a process that was well-documented by Charles Pierce’s 2010 book “Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free.”

Look at the date on this- it’s actually a piece on The difference Between masks/respirators, originally published feb 3, I’ve been nagging about this stuff since February.  Trumpaloos should be going to jail- this was not a fucking mystery

https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/#Risks_With_Using_Respirators

• Like 2

Mask it or casket. Unfortunately, our community is comprised of many "give me liberty, or give me death" types who see masks infringing upon their liberties. They refuse to wear them, and retailers do not want confrontations, so they let it slide. Law enforcement is not too keen on enforcing masks rules, so it is shop at your own risk for us. Thank Bezos for having a marketing strategy that keeps us safer during this pandemic. Some local markets are adapting as well, with curb side pickups. Still, the c19 numbers are increasing every day. So much so, I cancelled the Mt. Cup sailing vacation that I was so much looking forward to this weekend. Stay safe, y'all. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Varan said:

Mask it or casket. Unfortunately, our community is comprised of many "give me liberty, or give me death" types who see masks infringing upon their liberties. They refuse to wear them, and retailers do not want confrontations, so they let it slide. Law enforcement is not too keen on enforcing masks rules, so it is shop at your own risk for us. Thank Bezos for having a marketing strategy that keeps us safer during this pandemic. Some local markets are adapting as well, with curb side pickups. Still, the c19 numbers are increasing every day. So much so, I cancelled the Mt. Cup sailing vacation that I was so much looking forward to this weekend. Stay safe, y'all. 

I like ‘ # unmaskedismurder’  but I get it- new cases in the islands this week-  planes at the airports piling up, license plates on cars from hotspots cruising real estate, no masks.   

On 6/24/2020 at 9:37 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

If only that were part of their required qualifications for the job rather than solely 'raise lots of money' and 'convince a lot of people to like you every 2/4/6 years'

That is a very outdated view on American politics. If only it was still the case that you have to convince a lot of people to like you.....those were the halcyon days of respectful American politics. Sadly, very sadly for our society, it is now all about raising a lot of money to persuade a lot of people to hate the other guy.

Remember this. Can you imagine Trump being a stand up guy like this? What has happened to our great country? 

• Like 2

On the door into my waiting room there is a large polite sign explaining that (i) We only allow three people at a time into the waiting room and (ii) In order to protect the patients and the medical staff, everyone must wear a mask before entering the waiting room.

Yesterday my medical assistant came into my examining room in near tears because there was a person in the waiting room who refused to wear a mask.  Thinking their might be a medical reason, I stepped out (wearing my PE) to see if we could bring him to another room.....but it turned out he was exercising what he thought was his god given constitutional right to not wearing a mask. 

Some who know me well have suggested I am not afraid to speak my mind if you cross me. I dont know about that. But I do know that I saw RED at this moment and I let him have BOTH BARRELS . I have a bit of a memory lapse of exactly what I said to him and how loudly but I recall him backing out of the room and vaguely hearing cheering and clapping from my staff and other patients. I do vaguely recall telling him about the sacrifices that some of my staff had made during the crisis and the personal risks that they and I had taken in order to help people with CV19 and that excrement like him were the cause of so much suffering and also explaining in plain (some would say colorful) language that he had zero rights on my property , that he was on my property and that he was now going to leave my property and if he refused to leave then he better hope the police got here before i took matters with a trespasser into my own hands. I dont think I once referred to the CT orders that required masks because , quite frankly ,I did not need the governors help to deal with this putrid selfish POS.  I think he managed a "But" and a "Now look here lady".......but then he was backing out. He is not allowed back on the property and he better be really sick if he wants to see a doctor in this building because he is otherwise persona non grata .

One thing I will add.  The maskless cause so much risk for the rest of us, that you might think that if they get CV19, then its their own fault and we should let them rot. But, doctors took an oath and the always do their best to save anyone who is sick ......but try coming near my office for a routine visit withot a mask is rude, discourteous , dangerous and stupid...and I will throw you out.

• Like 23
25 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

On the door into my waiting room there is a large polite sign explaining that (i) We only allow three people at a time into the waiting room and (ii) In order to protect the patients and the medical staff, everyone must wear a mask before entering the waiting room.

Yesterday my medical assistant came into my examining room in near tears because there was a person in the waiting room who refused to wear a mask.  Thinking their might be a medical reason, I stepped out (wearing my PE) to see if we could bring him to another room.....but it turned out he was exercising what he thought was his god given constitutional right to not wearing a mask. 

Some who know me well have suggested I am not afraid to speak my mind if you cross me. I dont know about that. But I do know that I saw RED at this moment and I let him have BOTH BARRELS . I have a bit of a memory lapse of exactly what I said to him and how loudly but I recall him backing out of the room and vaguely hearing cheering and clapping from my staff and other patients. I do vaguely recall telling him about the sacrifices that some of my staff had made during the crisis and the personal risks that they and I had taken in order to help people with CV19 and that excrement like him were the cause of so much suffering and also explaining in plain (some would say colorful) language that he had zero rights on my property , that he was on my property and that he was now going to leave my property and if he refused to leave then he better hope the police got here before i took matters with a trespasser into my own hands. I dont think I once referred to the CT orders that required masks because , quite frankly ,I did not need the governors help to deal with this putrid selfish POS.  I think he managed a "But" and a "Now look here lady".......but then he was backing out. He is not allowed back on the property and he better be really sick if he wants to see a doctor in this building because he is otherwise persona non grata .

One thing I will add.  The maskless cause so much risk for the rest of us, that you might think that if they get CV19, then its their own fault and we should let them rot. But, doctors took an oath and the always do their best to save anyone who is sick ......but try coming near my office for a routine visit withot a mask is rude, discourteous , dangerous and stupid...and I will throw you out.

Keep up the good work!  

Yelling at people only does one thing - produce stronger enemies.

This is one of the key aspects of the internet and social media that people forget.
Yelling at people in public, makes a lot of people say silently 'jfc, these yellers are worst than the virus'

The louder people online and in public yell at other people, the more people resist/distrust the other side.
Self-righteousness (especially when *YOU* are 10000% convinced you're right), is one of the most damning human qualities.

Instead of yelling at people, maybe engage in conversation. Not to convince them, but to understand them.

They might learn something, but so might you.  Yelling at people just divides people further - no matter how convinced you are behind your keyboard that your view is the one and only 'right' one.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

That is a very outdated view on American politics. If only it was still the case that you have to convince a lot of people to like you.....those were the halcyon days of respectful American politics. Sadly, very sadly for our society, it is now all about raising a lot of money to persuade a lot of people to hate the other guy.

Remember this. Can you imagine Trump being a stand up guy like this? What has happened to our great country? 

At the same time Trump was preaching that birther bs. 

The Republican Party is the Party of Trump. They are responsible for his insanity. By doing nothing they have enabled and thereby encouraged him. 

They deserve to lose the government (Congress & the Presidency) for the next 8 years. They have brought this upon themselves. 

1 hour ago, BlatantEcho said:

This is one of the key aspects of the internet and social media that people forget.
Yelling at people in public, makes a lot of people say silently 'jfc, these yellers are worst than the virus'

The louder people online and in public yell at other people, the more people resist/distrust the other side.
Self-righteousness (especially when *YOU* are 10000% convinced you're right), is one of the most damning human qualities.

Instead of yelling at people, maybe engage in conversation. Not to convince them, but to understand them.

They might learn something, but so might you.  Yelling at people just divides people further - no matter how convinced you are behind your keyboard that your view is the one and only 'right' one.

I agree with this,

I have explained om earlier threads on this forum why we  should be wearing masks when in proximity of people outside of immediate family, I encourage everyone of all political parties, al religious views, black and white, North and South to work together as  Americans (and global citizens) to defeat this disease.

CV19 is a respiratory borne disease. The virus molecule is inefficient but carriers shed hundreds of thousands of molecules. If you wear a mask you dramatically reduce the probability of catching CV19 and you reduce the likelihood  of spreading the disease if you are an asymptomatic host. If everyone wore  masks the spread would slow significantly.

You do not want to catch CV 19. There are 2 outcomes you want to avoid. 1. You die or 2. You survive but with prolonged symptoms that we do not fully understand yet. As  a respiratory disease we are aware of the damage to the lungs but  the virus also seems to directly cause inflammation of the small capillaries or blood vessels, leading to damage of other organs including the kidney and heart. A significant number of survivors in the hospital system where I am on staff have cardiovascular symptoms and health has not returned to baseline. In the only peer reviewed study of cases who tested positive, 53% of  respondents reported prolonged fatigue (Italy)

You want to help slow and eventually stop the spread of the disease because it is destroying our economy and the lives of many people who are losing their jobs.

Please do your part by wearing a mask.

At my office we require that you wear a mask because we care about the health of our staff and our patients. I hope you understand that we cannot allow exceptions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CaptainAhab said:

The Republican Party is the Party of Trump. They are responsible for his insanity. By doing nothing they have enabled and thereby encouraged him. 

They deserve to lose the government (Congress & the Presidency) for the next 8 years. They have brought this upon themselves. 

This is a discussion on masks ......and supporters of both political parties should be united on this.

I happen to disagree with your statement. Trump received almost no support from the Republican party prior to winning the primaries. A great many republicans voted for other candidates during the primaries .  Trump did receive much more media coverage than any other candidate.  In years to come history will study how he emerged first as the surprise candidate of the Republican party and then the president.  But I for one refuse to blame the every day Republican voter or the Republican party for leadership failings of Trump during the pandemic. 

Honestly the pandemic and wearing masks should not be political. We should stand together united on this.   As a nation we should try and emerge from the pandemic with less partisan vitriol, less social media attacks and a sense of a shared crisis that we fought as one nation.  This is like a  war. There was no place for politics on the beaches of Omaha.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

But I for one refuse to blame the every day Republican voter or the Republican party for leadership failings of Trump during the pandemic. 

Honestly the pandemic and wearing masks should not be political.

So you don’t blame all of the stupid Republicans wearing no masks as a political statement.

You don’t blame everyone of Trump’s staff, the Republican congressman, the Republican governors or any other Republicans who have a national voice.

Who the fuck do you blame? Please enlighten me. 

Herman Cain(Republican with a National voice) died from Covid. It doesn’t matter where he got it(Tulsa). That stupid fucking idiot likely killed other people or at least infected other people who then will kill people either directly by not wearing a mask himself. What about all the other people who he influenced not to wear masks as well. I wonder how many of his family members also have it?

He’s one of the idiots I’m describing. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

Honestly the pandemic and wearing masks should not be political.

Get real please.  "should" isn't dealing with reality.  Many things should not be "political", yet a major subset of the population is belligerently ignorant and actively malicious.

As long as they call the shots (Mitch McConnell),  we are fucked.  More than ever, life is political.  The Citizens United decision in 2010 removed all constraints on the influence of BIG MONEY in politics, making us all puppets of unethical super rich assholes.  So here we are, polarized and almost helpless.  I don't need to hear another word from clueless idiots who's misguided beliefs are worthless and destructive.  It's way beyond time for Trump supporters to sit down and STFU.  They get zero respect from me.

And let's not forget the corporate media buffoons (Chuck Todd) who contribute to the mess by showing undeserved respect for "both sides", as if politics is nothing more than a game without consequences.  Same goes for several people on this forum who routinely scold others with the cheesy "take it to PA" mantra, as if it doesn't matter who wins.  It does matter!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

But I for one refuse to blame the every day Republican voter or the Republican party for leadership failings of Trump during the pandemic. 

agreed ....

they bare not to blame for tRumps failings 

however

they are guilty of complicity by silence .

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Get real please.  "should" isn't dealing with reality.  Many things should not be "political",

As long as they call the shots (Mitch McConnell),  we are fucked.  More than ever, life is political.

The battle against CV19 does not have to be political.

It is up to us, the people , to choose if we want to make it political or not.

If you let Mitch McConnel or anyone else for that matter make it political for you, then that is your choice. You are letting them make it political for you. 

You can choose NOT to ask someone if they are Republican or Democrat. You can choose to wear a mask whether you are Republican or Democrat.

Why not follow in the steps of the front line healthcare workers who never ask each other which party they voted for....and never ask a patient entering the ICU if they are Republican or Democrat. They are the true heroes of our nation. You can choose to follow their example or you can choose to follow the example of a few politicians. Its up to you.

I have chosen NOT to make it political. I have chosen to give the best care I can to patients irrespective of color, political persuasion, gender, or class.  I ask that everyone help by wearing a mask  when in proximity and I ask that respectfully of Democrats and Republican.

When I threw the patient out of my office, I did not ask how he voted, I asked him to wear a mask.

Feel free to hate your neighbor on Political Anarchy.  But in the ward and in the fight against CV19, we stand a better chance if we stand united and help out neighbors.

Vote your political conscience in November.  Follow your moral conscience in the battle to save lives vs CV19

Eye

• Like 4
4 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

If you let Mitch McConnel or anyone else for that matter make it political for you, then that is your choice. You are letting them make it political for you. 

You can choose NOT to ask someone if they are Republican or Democrat. You can choose to wear a mask whether you are Republican or Democrat.

Why not follow in the steps of the front line healthcare workers who never ask each other which party they voted for....and never ask a patient entering the ICU if they are Republican or Democrat. They are the true heroes of our nation. You can choose to follow their example or you can choose to follow the example of a few politicians. Its up to you.

I have chosen NOT to make it political. I have chosen to give the best care I can to patients irrespective of color, political persuasion, gender, or class.  I ask that everyone help by wearing a mask  when in proximity and I ask that respectfully of Democrats and Republican.

When I threw the patient out of my office, I did not ask how he voted, I asked him to wear a mask.

Feel free to hate your neighbor on Political Anarchy.  But in the ward and in the fight against CV19, we stand a better chance if we stand united and help out neighbors.

Vote your political conscience in November.  Follow your moral conscience in the battle to save lives vs CV19

Eye

You seem to be a medical professional doing his best in a difficult environment but that will not solve the pandemic. The difficult environment is caused by bad or poor leadership.  In the US you have the States all following a different methodology and competing for resources.  I find it incredible that a person must wait up to 14 days to get the results of their test for the virus, in New Zealand we get the results the following day.

The difference between New Zealand and the US is in the political leadership, during our lock down 87% of the population supported the Prime Minister's handling of the pandemic even though she lead a party which did not have the majority vote.

In New Zealand it is more than 90 days since we had a community infection of the virus so we only have to cope with returning citizens from abroad and they go straight into managed isolation or quarantine for 14 days.

2 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

You seem to be a medical professional doing his  her best in a difficult environment but that will not solve the pandemic. The difficult environment is caused by bad or poor leadership.  In the US you have the States all following a different methodology and competing for resources.  I find it incredible that a person must wait up to 14 days to get the results of their test for the virus, in New Zealand we get the results the following day.

The difference between New Zealand and the US is in the political leadership, during our lock down 87% of the population supported the Prime Minister's handling of the pandemic even though she lead a party which did not have the majority vote.

In New Zealand it is more than 90 days since we had a community infection of the virus so we only have to cope with returning citizens from abroad and they go straight into managed isolation or quarantine for 14 days.

Have we had poor leadership at the very top?   My personal judgement is that the President has not exhibited good leadership . I mean no offense to Republicans reading this post. I am criticizing the man and some of his chosen advisors, not the party.  Were his decisions political/ Republican? I dont think so.Another Republican president would likely have taken a very different course.  

Has our government got it all wrong?  No.  Operation warp speed is highly admirable and completely the right thing. The actions of the federal reserve and the combined work of republicans and democrats in the stimulus package was the right thing.

Whereever politics has been put aside, good work is being done.

Regarding Federal vs States rights in the US? Its complicated.

It was blatantly obvious to those of us in healthcare in the Northeast in March that the US should suspend anything other than essential domestic travel to prevent the disease expanding quickly around the country. China contained the disease in Hubei province and as a result brought great resources to bear.   State rights in the US seemed to prevent that BUT great leadership might have overcome those hurdles. The governors could have been led by the persuasion of a great and respected leader (Republican or Democrat) to use their state powers in a unified and consistent manner. We will never know.

What I do know is that the ongoing battle vs CV19 can be non-political. The wearing of masks can be  non-political.

If each of us chose to make the effort non-political , it would be non-political. 

If you are a democrat, encourage a republican to wear a mask because you care about hs/her family and want them to be safe. If you are a republican encourage a democrat to wear a mask because you care about your neighbors and want them to be safe

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Have we had poor leadership at the very top?   My personal judgement is that the President has not exhibited good leadership . I mean no offense to Republicans reading this post. I am criticizing the man and some of his chosen advisors, not the party.  Were his decisions political/ Republican? I dont think so.Another Republican president would likely have taken a very different course.  

Has our government got it all wrong?  No.  Operation warp speed is highly admirable and completely the right thing. The actions of the federal reserve and the combined work of republicans and democrats in the stimulus package was the right thing.

It was blatantly obvious to those of us in healthcare in the Northeast in March that the US should suspend anything other than essential domestic travel to prevent the disease expanding quickly around the country. China contained the disease in Hubei province and as a result brought great resources to bear.   State rights in the US seemed to prevent that BUT great leadership might have overcome those hurdles. The governors could have been led by the persuasion of a great and respected leader (Republican or Democrat) to use their state powers in a unified and consistent manner. We will never know.

What I do know is that the ongoing battle vs CV19 can be non-political. The wearing of masks can be  non-political.

If each of us chose to make the effort non-political , it would be non-political. 

If you are a democrat, encourage a republican to wear a mask because you care about hs/her family and want them to be safe. If you are a republican encourage a democrat to wear a mask because you care about your neighbors and want them to be safe

We don't have democrats and republicans here, we have a multi party system that usually requires a coalition of parties to govern.  This forces each party to be more considerate of other views and back off when necessary.

With the benefit of hindsight we could of closed our borders sooner but compared to other countries we were early.  I think the operation was successful because our Prime Minister (Jacinda Ardern) was very convincing and seemed to have no trouble in convincing the population that they needed to stay home unless they were an essential worker.

Since the lock down ended about 95 days ago there has been no community transmission of Covid-19 so we don't need to wear masks now, we just live normally.

We thought we would be able to open the border to Australia but they have suffered a second wave in Victoria and NSW which seems to put that a long way off.  Victoria is now going into a seven week lock down similar to New Zealand's which will be quite damaging since it is their second lock down.

I know you are a smart woman but you're trying way too hard to exonerate the guilty party in this disgrace.  Republicans weren't always as criminally insane as what we see today but corruption has become an essential feature of how most of them operate now.  I have nothing but contempt for anyone who ever supported Trumpty-Dumpty, which is nearly half the population of this country.

3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Operation warp speed is highly admirable and completely the right thing.

Trump's vaccine director awards former employer $2.1 billion government contract
https://www.salon.com/2020/08/01/trumps-vaccine-director-awards-former-employer-21-billion-government-contract_partner/

Dr. Moncef Slaoui, a former GSK executive, is head of the White House's Operation Warp Speed, the administration's program to develop and disburse an effective coronavirus vaccine. Slaoui's connection to his former company has been the focus of concern from advocacy groups and politicians skeptical of his claims of neutrality.

According to the New York Times:

Dr. Slaoui is not a federal employee, instead working under a $1 contract that exempts him from federal rules that would require him to list his outside positions, stock holdings and other potential conflicts. Dr. Slaoui said in an interview in May that he was determined to avoid any conflicts of interest, but that his GSK stock represented his retirement from 29 years at the company, and that he had told federal officials he would not take the job if he had to sell it.

4 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

I have yet to find a way to encourage republicans to wear a mask that works in a  positive way.   No matter what the approach, the reaction is either hostility, bewilderment, or embarrassment.    You have a great bedside manner, but if you didn’t have the the MD attached, how many would take you seriously?  Or act on it?  How long would it take you to sit down and explain it?  Would you be comfortable doing that wearing only a cloth mask/ no eye protection if your listener was unmasked?  If you thought you had convinced them, and then saw them later in public unmasked, in a group of unmasked non social distancing, what would you do?  

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Amati said:

I have yet to find a way to encourage republicans to wear a mask that works in a  positive way.  

Pick up on their delusions?

Not wearing a mask is just what china wants to bring down the US. That's why they spread that china virus. If you don't wear a mask you are helping them destroy murica.

Might work. Or get you shot.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Pick up on their delusions?

Not wearing a mask is just what china wants to bring down the US. That's why they spread that china virus. If you don't wear a mask you are helping them destroy murica.

Might work. Or get you shot.

You never know if they’re Chinese agents or not......;)

On 7/31/2020 at 6:11 PM, EYESAILOR said:

Maskless is murder.

As a result all of us Who care need self protective PPE, not just cloth masks. It’s not perfect, but in a lot of situations :rolleyes: it’s all we might have.  (I think most people would not assume an n95 is enough protection to wade into a bunch of willfully unmasked Trumpaloos). (Or even one, like you did:mellow:

Trump et all has made it impossible to get self protective PPE for the non medical community.  Trumphausen by Proxy. He has everything he needs.  We don’t.

And I don’t mean to sound paranoid, but after living in the Redoubt for 10 years (and getting the hell out), I’d keep an eye out for the unmasked cretin that ran.  They can be a squirrelly bunch....

38 minutes ago, A.M.S. said:

The Japanese wear masks like crazy.......1316090753_ScreenShot2020-08-01at6_45_32PM.thumb.png.98c10bf522f3f6221d353d794fdbfaaa.png

Your point being?  Are you a Republican?  Try digging a little deeper for the truth.

Japan braces for coronavirus spike amid domestic travel campaign, JULY 29, 2020
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-japan/japan-braces-for-coronavirus-spike-amid-domestic-travel-campaign-idUSKCN24V0EY

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan is bracing for a surge in the number of coronavirus infections after new daily cases exceeded 1,000 for a second straight day, a week after the start of a national travel campaign to revive the tourism industry.

[...]

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s government launched a national travel campaign on July 22 that aimed to revive a battered tourism industry despite a resurgence in coronavirus cases.

A member of the World Health Organization’s influenza panel said the campaign was ill-timed, and it has created a dilemma for those who fear the spread of the virus but are in desperate need of business.

“It’s become a habit for me to check the number plates of cars to see whether they come from outside the prefecture. I’m not going to lie, I get a bit shocked when I see that someone’s visiting from far away,” said Keiko Tsukahara, the co-manager of an inn in the hot springs town of Nikko, north of Tokyo.

“But we have had zero income for the past few months and we need customers.”

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, A.M.S. said:

And 'Zonies aren't big mask fans. Yet........here we are........468491144_ScreenShot2020-08-02at11_03_50AM.thumb.png.f5bab2264306b76b1019ad111e4dead5.png

Low hanging fruit has been picked/ignored? I guess it’s cheaper than the alternative.... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I’m being volunteered for something that’s not really an experiment because there’s no control group. Just ‘results’ we can argue about.  We’ll see what happens?  ‘Trumpian Science’?  Or entertainment?  The pleasures of eternity politics..................................................................................

On 7/31/2020 at 9:11 PM, EYESAILOR said:

I do vaguely recall telling him about the sacrifices that some of my staff had made during the crisis and the personal risks that they and I had taken in order to help people with CV19 and that excrement like him were the cause of so much suffering

This is what these assholes just don't get or simply ignore.  They demand top notch care from medical professionals but feel they have zero responsibility to do what's necessary to avoid exhausting the same professionals they expect to treat them when they get sick.  Good for you for throwing the selfish jerk out of your office.  I hope you got a message through that thick skull of his.

• Like 1

I agree not wearing a mask around others within 10 feet is selfish and ignorant. I have a lot of friends who won't wear them because they think they dont work which is true if they are thinking in selfish terms. Masks are ineffective for self protection unless they are medical grade AND you are protecting your eyes. Some of my friends are still throwing bbq and huddling together for photos with out face protection. It's only a matter of time before 1, then most catch it. These are "intelligent", educated people that don't see the big picture and don't think any of what's going on around them applies to them. They also think if they get it they can just pop a few Hydroxychloroquine and be all better. In a way I hope they are right but I personally am not going to run around naked with them to find out. 

My argument is if surgical masks don't work why do surgeons bother with them? 

I also was thinking back in March that face shields and goggles make sense. So what if we look fucking rediculous, have you seen the syles from the 80s??? Stop the damn spread. 

One final thing, if others would be responsible most of us could be out more and businesses wouldn't be failing. It pissed me off that because people are wandering around uncovered spreading the virus everyone else has to avoid them!

• Like 1
On 8/1/2020 at 4:25 AM, BlatantEcho said:

I agree with you that in order to create change you have to listen to and understand others' pov. 

However some one planting themselves in a waiting room with out face protection is either an idiot or a self-rightious twat and deserves to be picked up by his/her collar and heaved out the door by one of those well armed swat guys! No one in the western world, this many months into a global pandemmic is unaware of how rude, selfish, and outright dangerous doing that is!

If someone doesn't want to wear a mask near others, stay home!

• Like 2
On 8/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, EYESAILOR said:

Eye

You are, of course correct, and this is what should be happening, but it is not.  It is sad that every one of us knows that the dipshit in your office was certainly a Repub, and that is the underlying problem.  Dems may be sheep, but at least they are reasonable sheep, following science and the recommendations of learned individuals.  ON the other hand we have the defining cry of the lauded right wing nutjobs trying to blow up liberal heads..  

Melting pot...  Not the best incubator of rationality is it...??  <_<

46 minutes ago, sailingk8 said:

I agree with you that in order to create change you have to listen to and understand others' pov. 

Ever tried to have a reasoned conversation with an antivaxer...

I have, enough times to know not to try it again.

• Like 1

Posted this before, early on before masks were mandated the breakfast shop had a sign limiting # of customers, I enter, young guy in muscle shirt comes in behind me and is over the limit - muscle shirt, no mask while everyone else had one. I manage the keep some distance until I reach the counter and realize he is right next to me.

Fuck that, I said I am wearing this to protect you, I get that you don't think you need to wear one but what part of 6 feet do you not get asshole? I was pissed, he was shocked and he stayed pretty far away from everyone after that.  Did that make him want to wear a mask? I have no idea but pretty sure he won't be sidling up to angry old dudes again.  My patience hasn't worn thin, it has evaporated.

edit: So my better half just returned from Kroger in Houston - there is a city and state mask mandate. Young guy in store with no mask, nobody says anything, she waits ten minutes while he studies the coffee. She is a lot nicer than I am.  If I am to die from the virus it will at least be doing something useful.

If you are going to change a society you need to work with terms, tools, and approaches it already uses, and considers legitimate.

So in Florida (and some other enlightened parts of the US)...

“A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.”

It would be worth getting a lawyer's interpretation if that gives you the right to gun down a maskless person who approaches within six feet.

Might be a pretty legitimate case of “justified shooting” if the person standing their ground was over 50 and had some of the other risk factors (obesity, asthma, hart condition,...).

A half dozen stand your ground shootings of the maskless might lead to wide spread increased use of masks...that get’s you into a greater good argument. Killed a half dozen selfish shit heads and saved thousands of lives (and maybe the economy) by getting the other covidiots to wear masks...clear candidate for a public service award.

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

My patience hasn't worn thin, it has evaporated.

Which is to be expected when the country best equipped to take on this pandemic, and show the world how it's done, instead fails miserably due to incompetent leadership more focused on their political careers than doing the job they were elected to do.

5 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

I agree not wearing a mask around others within 10 feet is selfish and ignorant. I have a lot of friends who won't wear them because they think they dont work which is true if they are thinking in selfish terms. Masks are ineffective for self protection unless they are medical grade AND you are protecting your eyes. Some of my friends are still throwing bbq and huddling together for photos with out face protection. It's only a matter of time before 1, then most catch it. These are "intelligent", educated people that don't see the big picture and don't think any of what's going on around them applies to them. They also think if they get it they can just pop a few Hydroxychloroquine and be all better. In a way I hope they are right but I personally am not going to run around naked with them to find out. 

My argument is if surgical masks don't work why do surgeons bother with them? 

I also was thinking back in March that face shields and goggles make sense. So what if we look fucking rediculous, have you seen the syles from the 80s??? Stop the damn spread. 

One final thing, if others would be responsible most of us could be out more and businesses wouldn't be failing. It pissed me off that because people are wandering around uncovered spreading the virus everyone else has to avoid them!

Surgical masks are not respirators.  N95’s are respirators.  Masks work mainly breath going out, although some have a bit of protection breath going in.  Respirators work both ways unless they have a valve for exhalation or inhalation.

Cloth and surgical masks offer modest protection to the wearer, though it is mostly an act of benevolence to those around the mask wearer.   Thus those that refuse to wear masks by definition are selfless uncaring bastards, or disabled (mentally).   That modest protection to the wearer shouldn't be ignored IMO.   If it reduced the virus particles you are exposed to by filtering out a tiny bit of airborn spit from the non mask wearer next to you, that may be enough to give you a minimally symptomatic infection instead of an ICU trip.    Pathogen load is one of the variables in almost any infectious disease outcome.   If your first exposure is a handful of virus particles and your immune system fights it off, you likely have an advantage when you are exposed again a couple weeks later.   Biological infection isn't binary like a computer virus.  Its a race between replication and retaliation.

I believe the high mortality rate among healthcare workers on the East Coast can be blamed on two issues separating them from the general public.   The first time they were exposed to the virus they were repeatedly exposed over the course of a couple shifts, instead of sporadically and weeks apart.    Any amnestic response (cellular or humoral) never had time to develop (translation, their immune system didn't have time to memorize and respond to this new bug before they were inundated with massive numbers of viral particles).  They were also working long shifts in stressful conditions, weakening their immune system.   

• Like 1

My daughter is a hospital doctor, and was working 70 hours per week even before the latest Covid wave. A chunk of her colleagues are currently in isolation after being exposed to a Covid infected person (who lied about being Covid positive), so she is currently pulling extra shifts to cover for them on top of her 70... she is getting sores behind her ears from wearing masks so many hours per day. If she can do that, y'all can wear a fucking mask. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lark said:

Cloth and surgical masks offer modest protection to the wearer, though it is mostly an act of benevolence to those around the mask wearer.   Thus those that refuse to wear masks by definition are selfless uncaring bastards, or disabled (mentally).   That modest protection to the wearer shouldn't be ignored IMO.   If it reduced the virus particles you are exposed to by filtering out a tiny bit of airborn spit from the non mask wearer next to you, that may be enough to give you a minimally symptomatic infection instead of an ICU trip.    Pathogen load is one of the variables in almost any infectious disease outcome.   If your first exposure is a handful of virus particles and your immune system fights it off, you likely have an advantage when you are exposed again a couple weeks later.   Biological infection isn't binary like a computer virus.  Its a race between replication and retaliation.

I believe the high mortality rate among healthcare workers on the East Coast can be blamed on two issues separating them from the general public.   The first time they were exposed to the virus they were repeatedly exposed over the course of a couple shifts, instead of sporadically and weeks apart.    Any amnestic response (cellular or humoral) never had time to develop (translation, their immune system didn't have time to memorize and respond to this new bug before they were inundated with massive numbers of viral particles).  They were also working long shifts in stressful conditions, weakening their immune system.   

What I haven’t been able to find is various mask material (for example the 2.5 micron filters that come with some British masks) effectiveness viz incoming aerosolized COVID, apart from the site I keep posting.  Any links you know of?  

21 minutes ago, Weyalan said:

My daughter is a hospital doctor, and was working 70 hours per week even before the latest Covid wave. A chunk of her colleagues are currently in isolation after being exposed to a Covid infected person (who lied about being Covid positive), so she is currently pulling extra shifts to cover for them on top of her 70... she is getting sores behind her ears from wearing masks so many hours per day. If she can do that, y'all can wear a fucking mask. 

6019FCA4-13B0-4723-B95E-5EBC98354483.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Amati said:

What I haven’t been able to find is various mask material (for example the 2.5 micron filters that come with some British masks) effectiveness viz incoming aerosolized COVID, apart from the site I keep posting.  Any links you know of?  

No,  the U of Wa data was generic, based on Asian countries that wore masks vs those that did not (30% reduction in virus spread when most people wear).    Droplet size likely changes rapidly with distance. So a mask that might protect the wearer from inhaling my droplets at 2m may fail at 1 m, if I refuse to wear mine.  I’ve also noticed my gators breathability diminishes rapidly with heavy sweat.   Who knows how it’s performance changes.    

My brother’s employer sells to biomedical companies.   They sell  N95, but he has no idea if they’re real.   Pedigree products from my alternate vendor ended up on back order too.   I’m skeptical of product specifications.   There’s a lot of creative writing in the online world.

7 minutes ago, Lark said:

No,  the U of Wa data was generic, based on Asian countries that wore masks vs those that did not (30% reduction in virus spread when most people wear).    Droplet size likely changes rapidly with distance. So a mask that might protect the wearer from inhaling my droplets at 2m may fail at 1 m.   I’ve also noticed my gators breathability diminishes rapidly with heavy sweat.   Who knows how it’s performance changes.    

My brother’s employer sells to biomedical companies.   They sell  N95, but he has no idea if they’re real.   Pedigree products from my alternate vendor ended up on back order too.   I’m skeptical of product specifications.   There’s a lot of creative writing in the online world.

This one is my current favorite-  worthy of a Trump Award!  Is that Trump’s media boffin under that copper mask?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Amati said:

This one is my current favorite-  worthy of a Trump Award!  Is that Trump’s media boffin under that copper mask?

While I don’t even have to watch that video to know the company is probably making some rediculous claims, copper does actually have some interesting properties that come into play. But at the very least, it seems a bit silly to mock someone for wearing a mask, even if they foolishly paid extra hoping it was more effective. 

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

While I don’t even have to watch that video to know the company is probably making some rediculous claims, copper does actually have some interesting properties that come into play. But at the very least, it seems a bit silly to mock someone for wearing a mask, even if they foolishly paid extra hoping it was more effective. 

I gotta say, after all my surgeries, the copper fit stuff actually seems to work.  I have a couple pairs of compression shorts to keep the hips in place when yachting...  The copper fit ones work better for some reason...  Almost believe The Favre........  :rolleyes: YMMV

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Copper works for some things, but what I like about the ad is that it makes no claim at all, except that copper is involved.  I want people to wear masks, and hell, we have copper on our house.  I’m not mocking people for wearing a mask.  I Just love advertising- where else is anyone actually going to tell you exactly what they want you to do?  This ad is a classic.  You need to look at it.

30 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I gotta say, after all my surgeries, the copper fit stuff actually seems to work.  I have a couple pairs of compression shorts to keep the hips in place when yachting...  The copper fit ones work better for some reason...  Almost believe The Favre........  :rolleyes: YMMV

It does work for that.  Whether breathing it in works for anything?  Or passing COVID 19 over it? 

The art of sounding like your saying something when you’re not- priceless....

Just now, shaggy said:

Fucking new 2020 super Bug.  Copper Covid fit19...  :P

Will it help sore teeth or gums?  Not like anybody’s seeing a dentist these days....

3 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Works best when worn with the socks, gloves, knee and elbow pads, shorts and caps. And shorts, now copper shorts could sound scary but you just have to trust.

In Madison Avenue.

They were a gift from my beautiful wife...  :P

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Amati said:

Will it help sore teeth or gums?  Not like anybody’s seeing a dentist these days....

Actually saw my dentist last month, after deferring my regular cleaning by 5 months. After a long phone screening, a precise time as given. After arriving, had to text them from the parking lot. Few minutes later, they called back saying I could come in now. Was meet at the door by a fully decked out receptionist who took my temperature, watched as I rubbed in hand sanitizer that was just inside the door, then she whisked me away into an examination room. Whole time there, I only saw her, the dental hygienist that cleaned my teeth, and the doc who reviewed the xrays. And just like that, the hygienist escorted me out of the building, said they would contact me regarding insurance/billing as required, while another was waiting in her car for the call. Different times now, but it works.

49 minutes ago, Varan said:

Actually saw my dentist last month, after deferring my regular cleaning by 5 months. After a long phone screening, a precise time as given. After arriving, had to text them from the parking lot. Few minutes later, they called back saying I could come in now. Was meet at the door by a fully decked out receptionist who took my temperature, watched as I rubbed in hand sanitizer that was just inside the door, then she whisked me away into an examination room. Whole time there, I only saw her, the dental hygienist that cleaned my teeth, and the doc who reviewed the xrays. And just like that, the hygienist escorted me out of the building, said they would contact me regarding insurance/billing as required, while another was waiting in her car for the call. Different times now, but it works.

That would work for me! :)  Hell, that would work for any country.

While I don't want to defend anti-maskers, there is a scientific case to be made that masks are most effective when used properly, and poor use can range from useless to counter-productive (hand to mouth contact when removing mask). Why would anti-maskers argue about rights when a perfectly legitimate effectiveness argument is sitting right there. Maybe they are just stupid.

1 hour ago, Ncik said:

While I don't want to defend anti-maskers, there is a scientific case to be made that masks are most effective when used properly, and poor use can range from useless to counter-productive (hand to mouth contact when removing mask). Why would anti-maskers argue about rights when a perfectly legitimate effectiveness argument is sitting right there. Maybe they are just stupid.

Yes, everyone else is sooooo incredibly stupid now that YOU just realized one of the myriad arguments against masks.

'oh, you mean, the earth is round?? Wow. Why didn't people tell me?? Everyone is stupid for not always listing every single argument for this all the time for me, gosh!'

On 8/4/2020 at 12:40 AM, d'ranger said:

Posted this before, early on before masks were mandated the breakfast shop had a sign limiting # of customers, I enter, young guy in muscle shirt comes in behind me and is over the limit - muscle shirt, no mask while everyone else had one. I manage the keep some distance until I reach the counter and realize he is right next to me.

Fuck that, I said I am wearing this to protect you, I get that you don't think you need to wear one but what part of 6 feet do you not get asshole? I was pissed, he was shocked and he stayed pretty far away from everyone after that.  Did that make him want to wear a mask? I have no idea but pretty sure he won't be sidling up to angry old dudes again.  My patience hasn't worn thin, it has evaporated.

edit: So my better half just returned from Kroger in Houston - there is a city and state mask mandate. Young guy in store with no mask, nobody says anything, she waits ten minutes while he studies the coffee. She is a lot nicer than I am.  If I am to die from the virus it will at least be doing something useful.

We live in South Australia. Very fortunate to barely be touched by Covid so far.   At the beginning my wife(healthcare provider) had spent the entire week teaching everyone of her mostly elderly patients to wash their hands correctly. Friday night comes and she goes to the bottle shop to grab a bottle of wine. The. shop had put out stickers on the floor for each person. She realised that some old guy(typical old Aussie with a big ego & small dick that always has to say something)was standing right behind her. She politely asked him to move back. He came back at her with some bullshit. She lays into this guy. They called the extra tall & fat security guard to intervene. She turns on him and asks him why the fuck isn’t he doing his job. She silenced the 10 person crowd, payed for her wine and walked out. She had grabbed both of those clowns by their proverbial balls. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, BlatantEcho said:

Yes, everyone else is sooooo incredibly stupid now that YOU just realized one of the myriad arguments against masks.

Do you now or have you ever supported Trump?  Anyone who has done that is a fucking idiot, it's that simple.  Can you honestly say you haven't?  Oh wait, honesty is for chumps according to Trump supporters, and there is so much to be embarrassed about, so getting an honest answer isn't likely.  Never mind, his supporters will have a very hard time getting the stink of Trump out of their souls so they are easy to spot.

9 hours ago, Amati said:

That would work for me! :)  Hell, that would work for any country.

Best buy was doing that back in june.  Big screen tv, order online, pickup at store.  txt when there and they brought it out to car and put it in.  0 touch.  10 mins total.  Brilliant!!!  Look for lots o brick and mortar businesses are going to rethink their paradigm after this...   BMW too.  Brought it in for service and a recall, Speciffic time, show up, get loaner, .  Basically no touch....  Car fixed nxt day.  I could get used to this...  Good stuff...

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Best buy was doing that back in june.  Big screen tv, order online, pickup at store.  txt when there and they brought it out to car and put it in.  0 touch.  10 mins total.  Brilliant!!!  Look for lots o brick and mortar businesses are going to rethink their paradigm after this...   BMW too.  Brought it in for service and a recall, Speciffic time, show up, get loaner, .  Basically no touch....  Car fixed nxt day.  I could get used to this...  Good stuff...

Mercedes are being dicks about it. They made a big deal in mailings & emails etc about bringing service to owners (like outside the house), so I call in for a normal service & no, not going to do that, got to come in, no loaner.  Called 4 dealers, same story. But they clean their bathrooms more often! . And what with ferry workers testing positive for COVID, and few passengers, if any,  masking anywhere on board (do car filters stop COVID if you’re hiding in the car?), the trip over & back looks dicey.....  how to deal with this is not a mystery.  Companies who get this will find more market share.  Government entities who get their shit together will find more support.  I’m getting really tired of people, businesses and governments acting to keep hospitals full.  

8 minutes ago, Amati said:

Mercedes are being dicks about it. They made a big deal in mailings & emails etc about bringing service to owners (like outside the house), so I call in for a normal service & no, not going to do that, got to come in, no loaner.  Called 4 dealers, same story. But they clean their bathrooms more often! . And what with ferry workers testing positive for COVID, and few passengers, if any,  masking anywhere on board (do car filters stop COVID if you’re hiding in the car?), the trip over & back looks dicey.....  how to deal with this is not a mystery.  Companies who get this will find more market share.  Government entities who get their shit together will find more support.  I’m getting really tired of people, businesses and governments acting to keep hospitals full.  

I think it had more to do with my demographic (just turned 50), my checkbook and good credit...  :).  Got the hottest sales girls to follow me around as well.  Good ego boost..  

Mr Shaggy, Would you like so me coffee from our new coffee bar.  (you got tiquila). HAHA..  

Mr Shaggy, Have you seen our new models..  Yes.  The 150 K Kompressor addition over there looks pretty nice...  Loaner?? (um no)...   

Good times...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BlatantEcho said:

'oh, you mean, the earth is round?? Wow. Why didn't people tell me?? Everyone is stupid for not always listing every single argument for this all the time for me, gosh!'

It astonishes me that the medical community, folks outside of it, and anti maskers think that no one in the general population can be shown how to effectively wear a mask, and do it.  (No one can be taught how to sail, I suppose.)  

People who want to wear a mask are motivated. They will pay attention, if they get some attention, and some follow up.  Willlful anti maskers will not.  It’s like Red Cross industrial first aid instruction- you need follow ups to keep your card.  Most professional organizations do this.  It’s not a secret.

But because of the anti Maskers, people who want to mask need Respirators.  A bit more safety when trying to avoid them. The spread has been shown to be exponential.  It doesn’t take many anti maskers to create COVID spread, especially when cloth masks only afford partial protection from inhaled COVID.

Unmasked is murder.

8 hours ago, Amati said:

Unmasked is murder.

If you truly believed that, you would kill the unmasked.

Shooting them could potentially send a virus loaded spray as you turn their head inside out with a bullet.  Then you would be creating collateral damage.  I suggest a needle full of something toxic.  I'd give a recommendation if I had one.  

You could be the hero the human race needs.

• Downvote 1