Jib functionality - Am I looking for the impossible?

What is feasible:
  •    I like to make shorthanded sailing easier and reduce amount of sails carried in the cabin on my 27ft sportsboat.

•    I currently have a J1 and J2 - both hanked on. The J1 (with soft hanks) can be reefed on the luff so with a good system I can leave the J2 off the boat when not racing.

What I like to do:

•    Convert my fixed forestay to a flat deck furling system by:

○ Installing a flat deck continuous structural furler like the Bartels or Ubi Maior which has a shuttle head system that locks to the forestay when
                           hoisted for better furling.
                           The furler must fit on the existing deck and mast fittings and sit as low as possible.

○ Retain my existing jib hank system but convert standard battens with flexible ones (like C-Tech or Rutgerson).

○ Allow J1 luff reefing and tensioning from the cockpit with a purchase system - does something like the Selden system shown below exists or can it be
                           made to work with a standard wire stay?

Can I have the best of both worlds?

Selden Adjustable Tack Swivel.jpg

You think that you’re voice has no consequences, you will learn that’s not true. I am Italian and we believe In vendettas. You have harassed me for many years. I would keep a weather eye if I was you. I’m surprised that you would choose to fuck with me. It will not end up well for you!

9 hours ago, svein99 said:

What is feasible:

•    I like to make shorthanded sailing easier and reduce amount of sails carried in the cabin on my 27ft sportsboat.

•    I currently have a J1 and J2 - both hanked on. The J1 (with soft hanks) can be reefed on the luff so with a good system I can leave the J2 off the boat when not racing.

What I like to do:

•    Convert my fixed forestay to a flat deck furling system by:

○ Installing a flat deck continuous structural furler like the Bartels or Ubi Maior which has a shuttle head system that locks to the forestay when
                           hoisted for better furling.
                           The furler must fit on the existing deck and mast fittings and sit as low as possible.

○ Retain my existing jib hank system but convert standard battens with flexible ones (like C-Tech or Rutgerson).

○ Allow J1 luff reefing and tensioning from the cockpit with a purchase system - does something like the Selden system shown below exists or can it be
                           made to work with a standard wire stay?

Can I have the best of both worlds?

Selden Adjustable Tack Swivel.jpg

Do you mean to have a furling sail made/cut or are you proposing trying to furl your existing sail? 

With a 27' sport boat you are in the "gap" for an Ubi Maior Jiber. The smallest one which has a hoist-able swivel is a JB15 and that is for -15 rod or composite rigging and generally starts for boats in the 30'-37'' range. You could do it on yours but it might be overkill, alternatively you could do a composite head stay but it will be pricey.  The next size down is the MiniJiber though it's more for 20' sport boats which can't reef the head sail and it used wire with marine eyes swaged on to both ends. If you need more info PM me. 

• Like 1

I want to avoid making changes to the jib except for changing batten pockets to accomodate horizontal flexible battens. The jib is on soft hanks so it should furl ok. I'm aware that the Ubi Maior is for larger boats, somewhat expensive and will require a rod or composite head stay, but its design is great. I think I need a system where the head swivel locks when furling as the line of the halyard from swivel to mast sheave will be a little less than 10 degrees (otherwise I'm afraid the top will not furl properly).