Jump to content

Anyone gotten a boat into Canada from the US recently?


Recommended Posts

Can you say a bit more why you are worried about this? It is the buyer's issue and they have to figure this out. Are you discussing a possible delivery?

Moving people, even with a work visa, is not easy apparently. A Canadian buyer might be ok, but forget about you crossing the borde

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I met someone over the weekend who did just that, they had a boat stored in Wilson NY and had it transported to Niagara on the Lake in Ontario just a week ago.

As I understand it there is a storage facility in Wilson for boats, campers etc. The people who run it are able to procure the paperwork to be able to transit the boat, leave it tied up to the dock in Canada, then they leave by boat having never really touched shore from an epidemiological perspective. Owner comes and picks up the boat at his leisure. Cost $500 USD.

That's all I know. PM me and I could try to get you in touch with the guy I heard about it from. It was his parents boat that was brought back into Canada following winter storage.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, climenuts said:

Canadians are able to fly into the US and they can't be refused entry back into Canada but they need to self isolate for 14 days. Totally possible and not complicated.

Classic, posted by the same guy who suggested in another thread that for the right price he'd deliver a boat across the border from BC to Washington...  Caveat Emptor!

I like the sounds of something like what blunted suggested - worth looking into anyways.

Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Can you say a bit more why you are worried about this? It is the buyer's issue and they have to figure this out. 

Of course it's a buyer's issue, but anytime you are selling anything you want to minimize buyers issues. If you as a seller can point out how they can move the boat you increase the chances of making the sale.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If delivering by water,  a delivery captain can be used with the right paperwork. We have had a few boats come through our club this way.  Border people come down and do teh paperwork and captain leave via boat again.   If by trailer would imagine you would need an agent to bring the boat over and deal with customs so it would be a business deal, not for recreation.  You can still do it either way,  just not as easy right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking of bringing a boat up from Texas to BC.  I wonder what would stop me from having the boat commissioned at a yard in Bellingham, then flying to Bellingham and bringing the boat across the border by myself.  I have the right to fly to the States, and the right to return to Canada.  There are US boats being allowed to transit through Canadian waters on the way to Alaska.  I enter through a port of entry and pay duty to Customs. I would just have to quarantine for 14 days afterward - no big deal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Henderson 30 Short Bus sold off the classifieds and the owner towed it up and gave it to the new owner to cross into Canada. Paperwork has to be 105% but otherwise worked fine

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

I was thinking of bringing a boat up from Texas to BC.  I wonder what would stop me from having the boat commissioned at a yard in Bellingham, then flying to Bellingham and bringing the boat across the border by myself.  I have the right to fly to the States, and the right to return to Canada.  There are US boats being allowed to transit through Canadian waters on the way to Alaska.  I enter through a port of entry and pay duty to Customs. I would just have to quarantine for 14 days afterward - no big deal.

For the most part it sounds like it would work. 

One added wrinkle perhaps.  I think there was a similar thread on here recently, although I can't seem to find it.  Maybe started by Zonker?

Anyways, I think SJB mentioned that you would have to have a US yacht broker involved in the sale. 

Because on the way down US customs officials will ask you the nature of your visit.  If you say for pleasure they could later bust you because you would be taking the job of an American, or at least performing a job related function a US citizen could be doing while you are in the US.  I can't confirm the veracity of that notion, but that was one of my takeaways from that thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

For the most part it sounds like it would work. 

One added wrinkle perhaps.  I think there was a similar thread on here recently, although I can't seem to find it.  Maybe started by Zonker?

Anyways, I think SJB mentioned that you would have to have a US yacht broker involved in the sale. 

Because on the way down US customs officials will ask you the nature of your visit.  If you say for pleasure they could later bust you because you would be taking the job of an American, or at least performing a job related function a US citizen could be doing while you are in the US.  I can't confirm the veracity of that notion, but that was one of my takeaways from that thread.

Interesting.  Does that mean that you couldn't buy a car in the US, and drive it back?  Somehow I think you could.  Where do they draw the line?  My BIL bought a large powerboat on a trailer, went down to Washington State and drove it back himself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnMB said:

Of course it's a buyer's issue, but anytime you are selling anything you want to minimize buyers issues. If you as a seller can point out how they can move the boat you increase the chances of making the sale.

So you tell the buyer you did some research on an internet forum and all is good...

Never take a seller's word for ... anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just brought a boat from Point Roberts ( USA )to Steveston ( Canada ).  Very easy. 

You need to purchase the boat and be the legal owner of the vessel prior to arriving into Canada.  A yacht broker or the like is allowed to deliver the boat to you.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Interesting.  Does that mean that you couldn't buy a car in the US, and drive it back?  Somehow I think you could.  Where do they draw the line?  My BIL bought a large powerboat on a trailer, went down to Washington State and drove it back himself. 

If what I stated was true,  then no you couldn't drive it back.  I do believe you have to file your paperwork at least for Canadian customs something like 72 hours before crossing back.  Not sure how the US end handles it. 

But I'm sure a lot of goods and people are shuffled illegally across the border daily both knowingly and unknowingly with the majority never being caught or even aware they could be caught.

Somewhat off topic but last year on my way to the Seattle Boat Show I was detained for 5 hours by US customs.  When I finally got to the front of the line the customs guy asked for my car keys, which I handed over.  2 minutes later he came back and politely asked what the tools in the trunk were for.  I told him for working on my boat in Vancouver.  He cleared me then said "next time you come across, it would probably be a good idea to leave your tools at home".  Lesson learned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

So you tell the buyer you did some research on an internet forum and all is good...

Never take a seller's word for ... anything.

Of course not. But if a buyer is saying "I'd love to buy your boat but I don't know how  I can get it back to Canada", you certainly don't just say..... "your problem not mine", that will loose you a potential buyer.

If you can offer some ideas that they can check over, they are much more likely to stay in the conversation.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, alymatt said:

Just brought a boat from Point Roberts ( USA )to Steveston ( Canada ).  Very easy. 

You need to purchase the boat and be the legal owner of the vessel prior to arriving into Canada.  A yacht broker or the like is allowed to deliver the boat to you.  

Wondering about the mechanism here.  If it is a Canadian yacht broker they would have to quarantine for 2 weeks and might not be too happy about that.  If it is a US broker - how can they get into Canada?  Did you bring the boat in yourself?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Wondering about the mechanism here.  If it is a Canadian yacht broker they would have to quarantine for 2 weeks and might not be too happy about that.  If it is a US broker - how can they get into Canada?  Did you bring the boat in yourself?

If you can prove you are commercial and are either importing or exporting you can travel back and forth and not worry about having to quarantine. I have been back and fourth about 5 times in the last 6 weeks. We just either export a product or import a product. Going into the states you pay a $13.40 commercial truck entry fee on top of the regular bridge toll. Coming back into Canada if we are importing sail cloth then we go through commercial lanes and do our paperwork. If we have exported and not importing we go through the passenger lanes and just prove with export papers that that is what we are doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just spoke with someone down here on Lake Erie that purchased a boat from a local marina and were transporting it to Montreal. No issues for them getting into the US, although they were required to fly in rather than drive. Once they check back in to Canada they have to quarantine on the vessel for 14 days. Their sailing time from Pelee Island to Montreal is included as part of the 14 days, as long as they don't come ashore and no one else boards the vessel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, 12 metre said:

If what I stated was true,  then no you couldn't drive it back.  I do believe you have to file your paperwork at least for Canadian customs something like 72 hours before crossing back.  Not sure how the US end handles it. 

But I'm sure a lot of goods and people are shuffled illegally across the border daily both knowingly and unknowingly with the majority never being caught or even aware they could be caught.

Somewhat off topic but last year on my way to the Seattle Boat Show I was detained for 5 hours by US customs.  When I finally got to the front of the line the customs guy asked for my car keys, which I handed over.  2 minutes later he came back and politely asked what the tools in the trunk were for.  I told him for working on my boat in Vancouver.  He cleared me then said "next time you come across, it would probably be a good idea to leave your tools at home".  Lesson learned.

Crossed the border on the way to Akumal for cave diving. The van was in rough shape, so I brought some tools for the inevitable.

Stopped by US Customs, asked what the tools are for, I bit my tongue hard because i really wanted to say, "to dismantle democracy as you know it."

Used to throw a bible on the dash too, couldn't hurt right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gong Show said:

Crossed the border on the way to Akumal for cave diving. The van was in rough shape, so I brought some tools for the inevitable.

Stopped by US Customs, asked what the tools are for, I bit my tongue hard because i really wanted to say, "to dismantle democracy as you know it."

Used to throw a bible on the dash too, couldn't hurt right?

Interesting.  I was of the impression that you can't drive south across the border at the moment.  So, if I picked up a boat in Washington State, I wouldn't have to fly?  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Interesting.  I was of the impression that you can't drive south across the border at the moment.  So, if I picked up a boat in Washington State, I wouldn't have to fly?  

 

I get the impression Gong show was telling an old story - from the before times - which related to my border crossing experience from the year before.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You might talk to Waggoner's here in Anacortes.  One of their reps gave a talk on the virtual Anacortes Boat Show relating his transit in and out of Canada for commercial/business purposes.  Also, he indicated that it's possible to transit through Canadian waters to SE Alaska; however, I don't know if that means non-stop or not (few of us have the ability to carry that much fuel and supplies).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hawaiidart said:

You might talk to Waggoner's here in Anacortes.  One of their reps gave a talk on the virtual Anacortes Boat Show relating his transit in and out of Canada for commercial/business purposes.  Also, he indicated that it's possible to transit through Canadian waters to SE Alaska; however, I don't know if that means non-stop or not (few of us have the ability to carry that much fuel and supplies).

I was talking to someone here at the marina yesterday about US boats being able to transit through Canadian waters if going to Alaska.  However it does require non-stop IIRC.  Mainly designed for fishing boats and other such commercial traffic. 

A mega yacht could do it, but not too many smaller pleasure vessels would be able, which was kind of the point of the exemption I would think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder, because Americans are allowed to drive through Canada to Alaska.

There was a big bruhaha when a bunch of them decided to stop in Banff for a bit of touristing.

Maybe that resulted in a change of protocol?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Interesting.  I was of the impression that you can't drive south across the border at the moment.  So, if I picked up a boat in Washington State, I wouldn't have to fly?  

 

I think Peacefrog might be on the right track.

Just spit ballin' here.  You could hire a delivery skipper if the boat was splashed in Bellingham or Anacortes.  Then hire a delivery skipper to take her home or at least into Canada.  Since that would be work related the skipper could avoid the 14 day quarantine.  Basically what Peacefrog said.  A not too costly ($500?) alternative to the 14 day quarantine.

Another option would be to store the boat in a boatyard in WA State until. the border fully re-opens. Not too costly an option in the short term - provided the border restrictions aren't in place for too much longer.  Keep in mind that it could be a couple of months between having your offer accepted and the boat arriving in WA State.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gong Show said:

I wonder, because Americans are allowed to drive through Canada to Alaska.

There was a big bruhaha when a bunch of them decided to stop in Banff for a bit of touristing.

Maybe that resulted in a change of protocol?

Yeah, a media event more than anything designed to sell newspapers and generate clicks.  I'm sure the Feds knew this would happen, but just wanted to curtail the huge volume of US visitors we usually get in the summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

You might talk to Waggoner's here in Anacortes.  One of their reps gave a talk on the virtual Anacortes Boat Show relating his transit in and out of Canada for commercial/business purposes.  Also, he indicated that it's possible to transit through Canadian waters to SE Alaska; however, I don't know if that means non-stop or not (few of us have the ability to carry that much fuel and supplies).

Don't tell the R2AK competitors that....:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the buyer that Grrr is trying to find a solution for.  I have spoke with someone that owns a business in the sailing industry, he does deliveries as one of his services.  He thinks he can deliver the boat to Canada for me and I will have to meet him at customs to pay all duties.  I could then take delivery of that boat from him and be on my way.  Unfortunately he's busy at the moment with the BYC Mac race, but once things slow down later in July/early August his schedule opens up.  I'm going to reach out to Canada Border Services Agency to make sure this solution will work.

 

Thank you to Grrr for posting this question, and to everyone who offered suggestions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you travel through BC to Alaska by land, Do not stop in Banff and go hiking. A bunch of Americans got fined $1k each recently for doing this. 

I think if you travel by boat, do so expeditiously and don't dawdle along the way. I do not think that they expect non stop travel, and avoid the smaller communities along the way. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, if a boat is purchased in Washington State by a BC resident, normally you have 45 days to remove the boat from WA State without paying the Sales & Use Tax.

So if a boat is purchased in WA now and the buyer wishes to store the boat in a yard until the border re-opens, does anyone no if there is some temporary COVID Clause allowing it to stay in WA indefinitely until the border re-opens without paying the Sales & Use Tax.  Normally his period can be extended if professional commissioning is required for the vessel (i.e. commissioning work not being done by the purchaser)

Just looking at all the options:

1. Hire a boat transport firm (US or Canadian) to get the boat into Canada to avoid quarantining on anyone's part.  

2.  Hire a delivery captain to bring it up (again no quarantining required)

3.  Store it in a dry storage yard in WA.

Of those options, my thinking is that

1. is fairly easy but most expensive.

2. might be hard to find a professional willing to do this, IDK

3. is the easiest, but probably risky in the sense of damage or theft from the boat plus possible taxes.  Also uncertainty of when the boat will finally make it to it's new home.

Any thoughts, input or other options on this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 5:15 PM, 12 metre said:

Okay, if a boat is purchased in Washington State by a BC resident, normally you have 45 days to remove the boat from WA State without paying the Sales & Use Tax.

So if a boat is purchased in WA now and the buyer wishes to store the boat in a yard until the border re-opens, does anyone no if there is some temporary COVID Clause allowing it to stay in WA indefinitely until the border re-opens without paying the Sales & Use Tax.  Normally his period can be extended if professional commissioning is required for the vessel (i.e. commissioning work not being done by the purchaser)

Just looking at all the options:

1. Hire a boat transport firm (US or Canadian) to get the boat into Canada to avoid quarantining on anyone's part.  

2.  Hire a delivery captain to bring it up (again no quarantining required)

3.  Store it in a dry storage yard in WA.

Of those options, my thinking is that

1. is fairly easy but most expensive.

2. might be hard to find a professional willing to do this, IDK

3. is the easiest, but probably risky in the sense of damage or theft from the boat plus possible taxes.  Also uncertainty of when the boat will finally make it to it's new home.

Any thoughts, input or other options on this?

I don't think there is anything stopping you from flying from Vancouver to Seattle and delivering the boat back yourself provided you're a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident. You'll have to quarantine for 14 days... go cruising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, climenuts said:

I don't think there is anything stopping you from flying from Vancouver to Seattle and delivering the boat back yourself provided you're a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident. You'll have to quarantine for 14 days... go cruising.

No, but I'm not going to quarantine for 14 days.  Hiring a delivery captain is the most likely option.   Even trucking from WA state is a better option than quarantining for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...