Car topping a moth

Used to be very common in Australia. Even with quite small cars. Then the law changed and police started stopping people if the boat and wings extended more than 200mm outside the car width. Few cars are wide enough to make a moth legal now, so very few do it. eally depand son 

So it really depands on your local laws and how tough they are enforced.

9 hours ago, ivansh said:

Has anyone done it before without taking the wings off? Any tips/suggestions? Wings up or wings down?

Utah to California.  Everything else was in the car.

Rooftop.jpg

• Like 1

Have transported a Bladerider on the roof plenty of times, once drove back from Cape Town city centre after a boat show over hospital bend in a 50 knot southeaster, it was almost impossible to stay in the lane I wanted to be in, fortunately it was at night so not much traffic and I was driving a Subaru sportwagon which has above average roadholding. I did tie the boat down to the roof rails and not the Thule racks so the boat was not going to part ways with the car.

I have trasported moths fully assabled on top of my car for 5 years now, for travels of more than 1.000 km. Boat fully assabled on the trolley, tramps on, boom on fixed in a good position.

As somebody said, you have to look at local regulation for car topping. In europe is basically allowed everywhere but switzerland, where you can get some insane fines.

Regarding safety, I had Zero issues, unless I had very significant cross-winds (25+knots). In that case removing tramps would be better. It is just important to tie well both the trailer and the boat to the racks. Typically from front rack to kingpost and from back rack to where real wingbars meet the hull.

I have mine on top of my car now, I'll do some shots tomorrow morning if it is useful

• Like 1

As it is, I'd  be worried some van overtaking  might not see the black spars and hit them.  I'd be obeying the UK laws on marker boards and lights. 

You'd definitely get stopped for that load in the UK,  the relevant info is below.  But it would be easy to make it legal. Note these are the rules for sideways overhanging loads and apply to trailers as well. 

Over 305mm (1ft) lateral projection on either side or a total width more than 9ft 6in Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U schedule 12, para 4), Marker boards front and rear (C&U Schedule 12, para 3), Additional lights required during hours of darkness or poor visibility.
4 hours ago, The Q said:

4 hours ago, The Q said:

As it is, I'd  be worried some van overtaking  might not see the black spars and hit them.  I'd be obeying the UK laws on marker boards and lights. 

You'd definitely get stopped for that load in the UK,  the relevant info is below.  But it would be easy to make it legal. Note these are the rules for sideways overhanging loads and apply to trailers as well. 

Over 305mm (1ft) lateral projection on either side or a total width more than 9ft 6in Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U schedule 12, para 4), Marker boards front and rear (C&U Schedule 12, para 3), Additional lights required during hours of darkness or poor visibility.

That load would be totally legal in the UK, Legacy width is 1730mm, moth is 2250mm, so an overhang of 260mm each side......

14 minutes ago, aardvark_issues said:

I've never been stopped with the Moth on the roof in the UK. Have always done it. Never bothered taking tramps off either back when they were a thing.

Good to see you posting here again!

4 hours ago, Major Tom said:

That load would be totally legal in the UK, Legacy width is 1730mm, moth is 2250mm, so an overhang of 260mm each side......

It must be the camera angle it looks more like a metre each side... 

On 7/5/2020 at 6:43 AM, ivansh said:

Photos would be very useful, thanks

Sorry on sunday morning I forgot.

Anyway first stars on front rack on the left, to around the kingpost (for ex 2 rounds with a cross), then to front rack on the right then around the kingpost again (a couple of rounds) then back to where you started. This must block boat from going forward, but also bow from moving right_left, so this is reason why you go a couple of times around the kingpost.

On the back is easier, just from back rack to the boat and back to the rack to stop boat going back.

I do mine on the roof upside down, hook a ratchet to the hood hydraulics and loop it through the mast step, and tie the rudder gantry to the hitch on the back. Tie the wings to the roof rack for longer trips. I spent $15 at home depot on "unsellable" lumber, got two big 4x4" sections of pressure treated fence post, cut them to length and tied them together with two 2x4's. The 2x4's run fore-aft and sit on my car's roof racks, and the fence posts run horizontally sideways. Wings rest on the fence posts.

No issues, done maybe 2,000mi this way.