Vulcan 15 (My new boat design!)

Being a JY15 owner, I am no stranger to the lack of performance double handers that we are experiencing today. I decided to take this as a challenge and designed the Vulcan 15 (gonna try and build one next summer). A 16' 3" planing mono-hull with over 200 sq ft of sail area and two trapezes and hull mounted stay wings.

Thinking of pricing it around 15k. Thoughts?

Untitled drawing.png

8 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Judging by the renderings it just looks amazing.  It’s going to be a smash hit, especially at that price.   I don’t think there is any other boat that ticks off those boxes 

Better than an Rs 2000 huh.

12 minutes ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

Being a JY15 owner, I am no stranger to the lack of performance double handers that we are experiencing today. I decided to take this as a challenge and designed the Vulcan 15 (gonna try and build one next summer). A 16' 3" planing mono-hull with over 200 sq ft of sail area and two trapezes and hull mounted stay wings.

Untitled drawing.png

Rig is 20 percent over sized, centerboard is 5 percent undersized, she may prove to be a widowmaker.

9 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Rasputin is right, you should definitely get ahold of Doug Lord to test out some prototypes.   I think you could actually get this thing into the 4th mode.  

I would not expect this hull to the 4th mode like the WONDERFUL MacGregor 26x

2 hours ago, eliboat said:

Judging by the renderings it just looks amazing.  It’s going to be a smash hit, especially at that price.   I don’t think there is any other boat that ticks off those boxes 

I thought the hull would look better upside down.

• Like 1

ANOTHER  15' dinghy is all we need. There are plenty of new designs available and none are selling well. Too much to choose from. Buy an existing design and go sailing.

53 minutes ago, xonk1 said:

ANOTHER  15' dinghy is all we need. There are plenty of new designs available and none are selling well. Too much to choose from. Buy an existing design and go sailing.

Don’t be a hater.  This design is siiiiick

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Major Tom said:
20 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

Total- 380 sq ft

B14, a 2 man hiking boat has 538ft2.

Yeah but that's a real boat that really sails. Unless there's a heck of a lot more than what's presented, this is a cartoon

I saw a B-14 for sale on Craigslist a while back, one of my regrets is not running to get it. There aren't many in this part of the world.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah but that's a real boat that really sails. Unless there's a heck of a lot more than what's presented, this is a cartoon

I saw a B-14 for sale on Craigslist a while back, one of my regrets is not running to get it. There aren't many in this part of the world.

FB- Doug

Most good cartoons are based on reality!

31 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

In this comment you would be correct. The main reason for my comments was simply to determine whether or not demand was there. I will probably still build one, but maybe not try to sell any.

33 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Don’t be a hater.  This design is siiiiick

I would assume sarcasm

31 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Most good cartoons are based on reality!

Hopefully this is a good cartoon.   

You forgot the graphics

On 7/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

1695238347_Untitleddrawing.png.2e543f1c242d4de855c0e2f74cefe5f9.png

IMHO, in the UK, there is Zero market for another twin wire big boat (16ft is pretty sizeable). The stay wings, whilst on paper sound interesting, in practice will just hamper crew movement  and be a hindrance at any degree of heel. Still, we all have our dreams and I wish you well in yours  :-)

1 hour ago, ttc546 said:

IMHO, in the UK, there is Zero market for another twin wire big boat (16ft is pretty sizeable). The stay wings, whilst on paper sound interesting, in practice will just hamper crew movement  and be a hindrance at any degree of heel. Still, we all have our dreams and I wish you well in yours  :-)

Thank you for your concern. I considered the same thing regarding the stay wings, but decided that a huge rig would be priority over extra hull drag. I would say that this boat would need 3 crew to sail it and keep it flat (hence the LOA). 

The cockpit is limited to the rear 10 feet of the boat, so the stays are fore of the crew area.

How far down the road are you on tooling design? You'll need to reconcile that against intended labor hours per hull. Also don't skimp on your analysis of outfitting time . You can do yourself real harm discounting how long it can take to outfit the thing. Last but not least be sure you understand the fully loaded cost of labor (hint: it way more the cost of an hourly "wage"). First things first, don't hesitate for a minute to build a working prototype in order to test your initial suppositions.

DRC

1 hour ago, Dave Clark said:

How far down the road are you on tooling design? You'll need to reconcile that against intended labor hours per hull. Also don't skimp on your analysis of outfitting time . You can do yourself real harm discounting how long it can take to outfit the thing. Last but not least be sure you understand the fully loaded cost of labor (hint: it way more the cost of an hourly "wage"). First things first, don't hesitate for a minute to build a working prototype in order to test your initial suppositions.

DRC

I have already completed tooling design on the following:

Rudder

Tiller

Centerboard Trunk

Hull Attachments

I still have to complete:

Mast Tooling

Traveler Tooling

Trapeze tooling

Boom Attachment Tooling

Planning to make a 1/10th scale rc model this year. Next year I will probably build a 1:1 Prototype (cost 23K est.) 

How would you compare your design to 49er, Vector, RS800, int14s, Cherubs, Hartley Rebel... that apperantly  failed to mitigate the " lack of performance double handers that we are experiencing today"?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, skslr said:

And that does mean what in technical terms?

Skiffs are designed to ride almost completely atop the surface of the water. Minus the centerboard, they have nearly no draft, and are designed to plane to a degree that would be impossible for any other type of hull, riding only the aft portion of the hull.

1 hour ago, Alan Crawford said:

Just read the post...

I may be short a few thousand on the development budget soon...

It's not a foiler?  At that price I thought it was going to be a foiler.   What about amas on the outriggers to help keep it upright when there's no wind?  Or is the centerboard weighted a lot to keep it from being top-heavy?   

4 minutes ago, PaulK said:

It's not a foiler?  At that price I thought it was going to be a foiler.   What about amas on the outriggers to help keep it upright when there's no wind?  Or is the centerboard weighted a lot to keep it from being top-heavy?   

There was a biat likr that in Anglelond in 90s

Boss or Blaze or something

15 minutes ago, PaulK said:

The hull weight is concentrated in the "Bilge" for stability. Centerboard has a 4' 5 draft.

13 hours ago, Fasterdamnit! said:

Boss!

boss_dinghy_photo.jpg

boss_dinghy_drawing.jpg

I was struggling to work out where I'd suddenly found myself and now I realise it's 1995. Many thanks for your help. I'll see if I can find my way back from here with out some of the more significant fuck ups I made last time.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Dave, don't you have boats to build? This is a troll.

Craploads! Ask my wife about it. I hardly sleep. However, on the off chance that the OP isn't a troll, I feel a civic duty to ask useful questions before the money-fire spreads out of control.

DRc

2 hours ago, Dave Clark said:

Craploads! Ask my wife about it. I hardly sleep. However, on the off chance that the OP isn't a troll, I feel a civic duty to ask useful questions before the money-fire spreads out of control.

DRc

I appreciate your willingness to inquire about the project. I am an overactive sailor (I own 4 boats) thus the "troll" misconception is easy to occur due to the spread of my SA activity. I also just posted a very controversial thread on Political Anarchy, so there is a negative connotation associated with my words.

4 hours ago, Dave Clark said:

Metal or composite spars?

DRC

I wanted to use dry carbon for the spars, but due to budget constraints, probably aluminium. I have better access to carbon fiber molds than I have to metal working machines.

18 minutes ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

I wanted to use dry carbon for the spars, but due to budget constraints, probably aluminium. I have better access to carbon fiber molds than I have to metal working machines.

Glad to know you've got it all worked out. I'm going to get back to building boats now.

DRC

• Like 4

I have no idea how you are going to get any rig tension with the design you have, especially as you keep saying it is not a skiff, so you will have to have to have your shrouds further forward so you can get the boom out in lighter airs downwind, this will mean you won’t get enough forestay tension upwind without having your shroud base spreader bar made of high modulus carbon. You are probably better off having your chain plates on the gunnel with internal engineering to handle the loads and a double  spreader rig with lowers.

18 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

I have no idea how you are going to get any rig tension with the design you have, especially as you keep saying it is not a skiff, so you will have to have to have your shrouds further forward so you can get the boom out in lighter airs downwind, this will mean you won’t get enough forestay tension upwind without having your shroud base spreader bar made of high modulus carbon. You are probably better off having your chain plates on the gunnel with internal engineering to handle the loads and a double  spreader rig with lowers.

runners

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Major Tom said:

The stay wings are internally mounted, and integrated into the Centerboard trunk. The bowsprit provides the necessary fore-stay tension because the shrouds can in fact be placed further back due to their location on the stay-wings which provide the necessary angle for the boom to pass under, it does not show in a 2d rendering.

I absolutely love these "my new dinghy design" threads. Some let you learn a lot (e.g. ZIM 15), some make you wonder (e.g. Shaw 4.0) and some are at least entertaining (this).

:-)

• Like 3
On 7/7/2020 at 7:06 PM, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

the shrouds can in fact be placed further back due to their location on the stay-wings which provide the necessary angle for the boom to pass under

Huh?

4 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

Stay wings are at an angle such that the boom can pass under think: / (more horizontal than that)

That didn't help...

Any chance on advancing to 3D renderings? Or is too much IP tied up there?

On 7/11/2020 at 11:49 AM, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

Stay wings are at an angle such that the boom can pass under think: / (more horizontal than that)

...when the boat is upside down.

• Like 1