• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know. I do my best to respect local laws, rules, culture and mores. I'm not sure why you'd want to travel if you want every country to be Just Like Texas. They aren't. There was almost no

It depends where you are, who you hang with. Cruisers tend to clump up when we're in the same area. Many areas there's a distance between locals and cruisers. Some are better at bridging that than oth

CL I apologize I should have been more nuanced about guns. I learned to shoot from my uncle who trained as a sniper in WWII. We mostly ate what we shot...crows in the cornfield being the exceptio

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Poetic sparring.  It’s got an ancient history, to Alexander Pope and beyond.

Poetry maybe.  But not rap, which is just bad prose masquerading as music

5 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’m hearing a lot of talk.

You’ve got a big lead on FKT before the sunrises in Tas!  Rhyme on!

2-Legged MC vs. Notorious FKT  -  game on! 

29 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

I can't say I'm a huge rap aficionado, but early rap was something else. The first time I heard it, it was like something from a different planet. The first live rapper I ever saw was Schoolly D. A mind-blowing event for this white-bread, boarding school skipping on classes. 

7 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

May I suggest that you fly out to FKT, and you two get a room?  You obviously were meant for him.

This is like a time warp - you have written almost the exact same thing as you wrote days ago.  You may think you are getting somewhere wagging your finger at him, but for the rest of us, it makes you sound like a complete bore.

Fortunately, I have an ocean-capable sailboat and NZ is only 7-12 days away...

FKT

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’m hearing a lot of talk.

You’ve got a big lead on FKT before the sun rises in Tas!  Rhyme on!

Nah. Sun's up, it's not raining, GF is on the way down with fresh food etc and the tide is rising. We're going sailing.

I'd rather sand fairing compound off of my dodger than waste time on rapping with TL. She's getting to the point where I think I need to start posting that GIF that @LB 15 has of the tiny dog humping a leg. Except that dog isn't a toothless chihuahua.

FKT

Wow !  There sure has been a lot of dumbassery on this thread in recent weeks but there is bad news for all of you - the original Dumbass family is back aboard and on the move.  All  you amateurs and wannabes should just give up because the masters are back in business.  We can only assume that their quarantine is over.  So far they are inside South Stradbroke Island and moving North.  To be eact they are beside Hope Island and probably headed for one of the docks around there.

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nah. Sun's up, it's not raining, GF is on the way down with fresh food etc and the tide is rising. We're going sailing.

I'd rather sand fairing compound off of my dodger than waste time on rapping with TL. She's getting to the point where I think I need to start posting that GIF that @LB 15 has of the tiny dog humping a leg. Except that dog isn't a toothless chihuahua.

FKT

You rang?

MERRY CHRISTMAS SEADOG - The Town Tavern - SurfTalk

And there is LB arriving in the nick of time just like the cavalry.  There is good news for you LB, the original Dumbasses have entered your part of the world, albeit only just.  As best as I can tell they have stopped at The Boat Works which is quite fittingly Australia's greatest boatyard.    It must be the greatest because the website says so. Where else would they go ? 

This would be a fine time for you to show them a little of Queensland's warm down home hospitality by whipping up a batch of those famous Queensland pumpkin scones to share with your esteemed visitors.  As we all know Queensland is the home not only of Australia's greatest boatyard but also Australia's tastiest pumpkin scones.  

9 minutes ago, savoir said:

And there is LB arriving in the nick of time just like the cavalry.  There is good news for you LB, the original Dumbasses have entered your part of the world, albeit only just.  As best as I can tell they have stopped at The Boat Works which is quite fittingly Australia's greatest boatyard.    It must be the greatest because the website says so. Where else would they go ? 

This would be a fine time for you to show them a little of Queensland's warm down home hospitality by whipping up a batch of those famous Queensland pumpkin scones to share with your esteemed visitors.  As we all know Queensland is the home not only of Australia's greatest boatyard but also Australia's tastiest pumpkin scones.  

Do they have beets in them?

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I bet the Pope doesn't eat vegemite. Blech.

No self-respecting Argentine would. Salad, pasta, and slow roasted meat.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:39 AM, Israel Hands said:

This is the old school I was talking about.  Poetry class back in like 7th or 8th grade.  I was forced to take it in an arts program - the last course I’d choose to sign up for (in preference to theatre/lighting design, ceramics, music, etc.). What does the teacher do?  Teaches us about powered via Grand Master Flash, which was totally cutting edge at the time.  Brilliant!

[Verse 1] Broken glass everywhere / People pissing on the stairs, you know they just don't care

I can't take the smell, can't take the noise / Got no money to move out, I guess I got no choice

Rats in the front room, roaches in the back / Junkies in the alley with a baseball bat

I tried to get away but I couldn't get far / Cause a man with a tow truck repossessed my car

[Hook] Don't push me ’cause I'm close to the edge / I'm trying not to lose my head
It's like a jungle sometimes / It makes me wonder how I keep from going under

• Like 1
On 1/30/2021 at 3:21 PM, savoir said:

There was a pretty good cafe on the grounds near there where we were kicking around GCCM. And a good Kiwi pie shop not too far off.

We sent our kids off to WB World one day while were doing boat bullshit and they were bored.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:10 PM, savoir said:

No.

Would you settle for a side of Vegemite ?

On 1/30/2021 at 5:59 PM, Ishmael said:

Blech. 

I like Vegemite and would eat it over nasty-ass beets 10/10.

If stealth-vegemiting things were a problem in NZ instead of stealth beetings, ordering burgers would be hella less traumatic.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

I like Vegemite and would eat it over nasty-ass beets 10/10.

If stealth-vegemiting things were a problem in NZ instead of stealth beetings, ordering burgers would be hella less traumatic.

Vegemite on toast, a breakfast staple. And what's more, you can store a jar or 2 in the bilges and when you find it again years later, it'll taste just the same.

Unlike beets. Blech.

Fruit season well & truly here now. Cherries have all gone, apricots are made into jam and sufficient for the next 12 months sliced & packed into the freezer. Plums ripening then the apples. Wonderful time of year.

And the mackerel are on.

FKT

30 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Fruit season well & truly here now. Cherries have all gone, apricots are made into jam and sufficient for the next 12 months sliced & packed into the freezer. Plums ripening then the apples. Wonderful time of year.

Just gave away the last of the mangoes.  Don't like netting as it traps animals so this year I setup an electric fence unit around the base of the two trees.  But I still had fruit pulled off and eaten.  Couldn't work out how they were doing it.

Then I realised that around here there are two species of gliding possums,  The fuckers were climbing up a nearby gum tree and gliding in, ripping a mango off and eating it on the ground.  Only one a night whether they were hungry or not.  In the end I had too many anyway.

Big fuckers!

image.png.7b9e2459baa0e39db916ebc4f952225d.png

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Vegemite on toast, a breakfast staple. And what's more, you can store a jar or 2 in the bilges and when you find it again years later, it'll taste just the same.

Unlike beets. Blech.

And the mackerel are on.

FKT

I'd sooner eat a real staple. 

0577996_1?defaultImage=image_na_EN&fmt=j

Maybe with some jam on it. 

1 hour ago, kinardly said:

Is there any difference between Marmite and Vegemite Or are they just a UK vs AU thing?

Just call it black slime and you're good regardless.

Just don't confuse it with baby shit on toast. That's Nutella.

FKT

3 hours ago, kinardly said:

Is there any difference between Marmite and Vegemite Or are they just a UK vs AU thing?

The antipodeans put sugar in the stuff they sell as Marmite. The branding is the same but it doesn't taste right. 

Vegemite is a pale imitation of the real thing.

Oh, and despite what they say, there are people who don't have strong feelings about Marmite. 

Cheers, 

W.

3 hours ago, WGWarburton said:

The antipodeans put sugar in the stuff they sell as Marmite. The branding is the same but it doesn't taste right. 

Vegemite is a pale imitation of the real thing.

Oh, and despite what they say, there are people who don't have strong feelings about Marmite. 

Cheers, 

W.

They sell the imported UK Marmite here too. A lot of expat Brits take a while to move to Vegemite and need copious amounts till they are acclimatised. The local brew of Marmite is made by Sanitarium, and is generally considered inedible by everyone I know. There must be a few closet users cause they keep making it, probably more popular with kids since as you say it has 10% sugar in it.

Vegemite is king here and in NZ,  Marmite tastes odd to us. Besides Marmite was a German scientists Invention made by an Anglo Dutch company, while Vegemite is a true commonwealth product, from a truly successful  project, to make something more edible than Marmite !  ;)

Well UK Marmite to me tasted like a spoonful of brewer's yeast mixed with a half spoonful of bouillon, at least when I was ten or so and my Mom asked me to try it. We lived in the same house for 2.5 years and that jar of Marmite was still in the pantry when we moved.

For this Murican nothing beats crunchy natural peanut butter.

While I like Vegemite and have a jar on the boat, one of you experts perhaps needs to correct a misapprehension of mine?

When you make beer, there's sludge left at the bottom after all the fermenting. And this sludge, at it's core, is the genesis of the original "XXXXX-ite" yeast products?

Beer sludge originally and turned into an intentional and reproducible commercial product?

Am I missing something here?

39 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

While I like Vegemite and have a jar on the boat, one of you experts perhaps needs to correct a misapprehension of mine?

When you make beer, there's sludge left at the bottom after all the fermenting. And this sludge, at it's core, is the genesis of the original "XXXXX-ite" yeast products?

Beer sludge originally and turned into an intentional and reproducible commercial product?

A sense of taste?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Congratulations BJ, you really have been doing your Australiana homework.  Vegemite is indeed made from the porridge left over in the bottom of a beer mash tun.  The alternative would be to feed it to the pigs and that would never do.  The two main ingredients are barley and brewer's yeast.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, savoir said:

Congratulations BJ, you really have been doing your Australiana homework.  Vegemite is indeed made from the porridge left over in the bottom of a beer mash tun.  The alternative would be to feed it to the pigs and that would never do.  The two main ingredients are barley and brewer's yeast.

I've been kicking around some part of Oceania for most of the last six years now. Bound to pick up a few things...

4 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I read that its an excellent source of some extract that’s used as a traditional, natural  rat poison (on old ships).  Weird that people would eat it.

Well, if you have rats in your bloodstream, Vegemite will kill them.

49 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, if you have rats in your bloodstream, Vegemite will kill them.

Hope no one searched this on Google.  It’s brutal.  Might give one a terrible stomach ache just seeing the pics of what it’ll do to your insides.  Looks like rats have gnawed them in a feeding frenzy.

Is Vegemite good for you?

Vegemite is an Australian spread made from leftover brewer's yeast, salt, malt and vegetable extract. It's an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B9. The Reduced Salt version even contains vitamins B6 and B12. These vitamins may support brain health and reduce fatigue, anxiety, stress and heart disease risk.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vegemite

Most people of the non UK, NZ, Aus persuasion make the mistake of spreading vegemite / marmite WAY too thick. You need a very thin, even layer. Too much vegemite is overpowering and unpleasant, just the right amount is (surprisingly) tasty. And by "thin" I mean about 10% of wat you would use for any other spread

Toast, buttered, with a thin layer of vegemite and slives of cucumber = delicious

2 hours ago, Weyalan said:

Most people of the non UK, NZ, Aus persuasion make the mistake of spreading vegemite / marmite WAY too thick. You need a very thin, even layer. Too much vegemite is overpowering and unpleasant, just the right amount is (surprisingly) tasty. And by "thin" I mean about 10% of wat you would use for any other spread

Toast, buttered, with a thin layer of vegemite and slives of cucumber = delicious

First Trump and now this...vivid measurements of the depth of human delusion.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, chester said:

<quote> He might be alone in holding that belief, and if alone, then a lunatic. But the thought of being a lunatic did not greatly trouble him; the horror was that he might also be wrong. <unquote>

27 minutes ago, chester said:

I always thought those “mite” products originated in England with the war and post-war generation when nutrients were scarce/diets poor - like the past practice of drinking cod liver oil to get nutrients.  Then, that shit (-looking) substance spread later to Australia since, well, they also follow the Queen.  Oddly, however, Canada, also a Commonwealth country, didn’t adopt or develop any “mite” product, so that theory of mine about Marmite/Vegemite falls flat...

3 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I always thought those “mite” products originated in England with the war and post-war generation when nutrients were scarce/diets poor - like the past practice of drinking cod liver oil to get nutrients.  Then, that shit (-looking) substance spread later to Australia since, well, they also follow the Queen.  Oddly, however, Canada, also a Commonwealth country, didn’t adopt or develop any “mite” product, so that theory of mine about Marmite/Vegemite falls flat...

We were buffered by the Quebecois. Which is why we have poutine and prairie oysters in the same country. 

18 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

We were buffered by the Quebecois. Which is why we have poutine and prairie oysters in the same country. 

and maple syrup, and donair...  wait, are you claiming the Quebecois were good for something???

On 2/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, MikeJohns said:

They sell the imported UK Marmite here too. A lot of expat Brits take a while to move to Vegemite and need copious amounts till they are acclimatised. The local brew of Marmite is made by Sanitarium, and is generally considered inedible by everyone I know. There must be a few closet users cause they keep making it, probably more popular with kids since as you say it has 10% sugar in it.

Vegemite is king here and in NZ,  Marmite tastes odd to us. Besides Marmite was a German scientists Invention made by an Anglo Dutch company, while Vegemite is a true commonwealth product, from a truly successful  project, to make something more edible than Marmite !  ;)

What about Promite?

Marmite, Promite, and Vegemite Comparison | Erica Swallow's Blog

59 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It is a hell of a buffering - they kept the bad sides of “les rosbifs” at bay, bringing Canada instead really good beer (Fin du Monde), good stinky cheese, and, mon dieu, tortiere.  A mighty culinary defensive wall against “mite” products!

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

What about Promite?

Marmite, Promite, and Vegemite Comparison | Erica Swallow's Blog

Promite hardly gets a mention, they don't even stock it here in the smaller supermarkets. That's a copy of the Oz-Marmite copy, with 18% Sugar added. 

Dick Smith tried making another with his failed Dick Smith foods, it took the prize!  we had a jar on the boat that my wife bought in Wollongong when we stopped there to capture slaves for the passage south. No one tried it a second time....ever.

It sat as a curio in the galley for 10 years and finally went into the skip on the last haulout. probably should have tried mixing it in the antifouling.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeJohns said:

Promite hardly gets a mention, they don't even stock it here in the smaller supermarkets. That's a copy of the Oz-Marmite copy, with 18% Sugar added. 

Dick Smith tried making another with his failed Dick Smith foods, it took the prize!  we had a jar on the boat that my wife bought in Wollongong when we stopped there to capture slaves for the passage south. No one tried it a second time....ever.

It sat as a curio in the galley for 10 years and finally went into the skip on the last haulout. probably should have tried mixing it in the antifouling.

I don’t mind promote. We somehow wound up with a jar and it was ok. Not a replacement for vegimite however.

20 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I've been kicking around some part of Oceania for most of the last six years now. Bound to pick up a few things...

Until as little as a year ago Vegemite was owned by Kraft Foods

9 hours ago, MikeJohns said:

For some reason, Promite sounds like a termite insecticide to me.

Hmm, we could create and market a Canadian version, sweetened instead with maple syrup.  Stick a big maple leaf on the front label, half red, half Union Jack.

Call it Canamite 

42 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Hmm, we could create and market a Canadian version, sweetened instead with maple syrup.  Stick a big maple leaf on the front label, half red, half Union Jack.

Call it Canamite 

by jove, i think yer onto something!!  

11 minutes ago, Elegua said:

So much good food in Oceana and we have to talk about Marmite/Vegemite?  Bleh...

My theory is that the colonizers are the real barbarians (leaving aside actual evidence like zealous Xtn proselytizing, ethnic and cultural genocide, etc) - they showed up and started putting Mite and, in North America, ketchup on the foods they couldn’t deal with (which pretty much spread to everything :-) )

I used to work with some solid working glass English lads.  For them, a good dose of thick, brown HP sauce on top was the cure for most food :-) (and a good cuppa tay)

0DAAC546-6C03-4C98-B7EF-C7BDDF5B9F5F.jpeg

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, chester said:

by jove, i think yer onto something!!  

I’ve never been more serious or passionate about something.

With automatic rifle-toting Bible Barbie poised to take over one of the two major ‘murican parties, a nation which, if anyone needs reminding, espouses ketchup as part of the soft-power part of its foreign policy (McDonald’s is at the forefront of US culinary imperialism, probably the world’s largest consumer of ketchup —who really spells it catsup anymore?), Canadians need to take a stand and back the brown—maple syrup Canamite— against red Heinz imperialism.  

I see a red door and I want to paint it brown, to paraphrase Sir Jagger’s prophetic words.

I'm no ketchup fan but HP seems about as close to brown paint as you can get in a bottle.

I much prefer HP's leather-clad, tatoo'd bad-girl cousin from across the pond: A-1 steak sauce. She's guaranteed to show you a good time.

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

My theory is that the colonizers are the real barbarians (leaving aside actual evidence like zealous Xtn proselytizing, ethnic and cultural genocide, etc) - they showed up and started putting Mite and, in North America, ketchup on the foods they couldn’t deal with (which pretty much spread to everything :-) )

I used to work with some solid working glass English lads.  For them, a good dose of thick, brown HP sauce on top was the cure for most food :-) (and a good cuppa tay)

0DAAC546-6C03-4C98-B7EF-C7BDDF5B9F5F.jpeg

Brown sauce is an important part of the Condiment Food Group, which covers the Food Pyramid and makes it palatable. 

Most cultures have some kind similar sour, savory sauce (usually hot as well) from Korean Cho GochuJiang  to Ethiopian awaze. It seems every culture has a good condiment for french fries and fried chicken. 

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

With automatic rifle-toting Bible Barbie poised to take over one of the two major ‘murican parties

"Barbie" is not the word that comes to my mind. She has the facial features of Hulk Hogan in drag

11 hours ago, LB 15 said:

since this thread goes all over the place probably no problem for this other bit of very useful and certainly irrelevant  but funny info : the swedish little heroin of yours, the one you worship and lust over so much has had a little snail named after her : OPACUINCOLA GRETATHUNBERGAE , the little beastie is only a couple millimeters long and lives in fresh water lakes in Kiwistan, dunno if it's edible, but with some of that horrible XXX-ite on top of it you'll like it for sure

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Hulk Hogan in drag

It is said by some that her manhands come from squeezing off daily rounds of high caliber ammunition and fervently leafing through the Good Book on a daily basis looking for Scriptural justifications for her loony conspiracy theories... :-) 

15 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It is said by some that her manhands come from squeezing off daily rounds of high caliber ammunition and fervently leafing through the Good Book on a daily basis looking for Scriptural justifications for her loony conspiracy theories... :-) 

Using the "she" pronoun, as in "she has dickholes in her underwear"

Pelosi denounces GOP leaders over Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's  controversial posts | KTLA

6 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Call it Canamite 

Catamite? ;)

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Using the "she" pronoun, as in "she has dickholes in her underwear"

Pelosi denounces GOP leaders over Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's  controversial posts | KTLA

Something happened to this one in 2010/2011...she left as CFO from the family business she and her husband "bought" from her Dad (can you say estate planning)...she then went full on obssessive compulive crossfit (as one does) , ultimately opening her own gym, gets baptized as an evangelical, and carries on multiple and simultaneous relatively open extramarital relationships (as good evangelicals do) and goes on to become a Qanon believer before Q’s first posting.

Recent New Yorker

Earlier New Yorker

ok, the interviewie in that link is a fucking hoot

But when you’ve got Marjorie saying Jewish laser beams started a fire and all this other crazy stuff — it’s like eating a garlic cupcake. Oh, it looks great. It’s got a little chocolate in it, but the thing’s full of garlic. It’s unpalatable.

4 hours ago, Albatros said:

since this thread goes all over the place probably no problem for this other bit of very useful and certainly irrelevant  but funny info : the swedish little heroin of yours, the one you worship and lust over so much has had a little snail named after her : OPACUINCOLA GRETATHUNBERGAE , the little beastie is only a couple millimeters long and lives in fresh water lakes in Kiwistan, dunno if it's edible, but with some of that horrible XXX-ite on top of it you'll like it for sure

This tread does wander around a lot. I have been slowing reading it from the start. It has it all- Cat design, Guns, maple syrup, sock puppetry and some very poor attempts at trolling...

6 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

This tread does wander around a lot. I have been slowing reading it from the start. It has it all- Cat design, Guns, maple syrup, sock puppetry and some very poor attempts at trolling...

You could start a training school...

... oh, wait

• Like 3

Talk about never ending story... The original dumbarse and his tribe are now in Australia (the vids are running a bit behind )where upon arrival they stack on a blue with the Border Force people clearing them in.

Then they bleat about the 10 days at sea not counting towards quarantine... too fucking dumb to know that if one person brings covid aboard a boat  with a crew of four it can be bouncing around for over a month...

Then there was the rendezvous with another yacht while on passage.... OK so it was also heading Fiji to Oz but that is neither here nor there....  dickheads...

Looks like we are stuck with them for a while..

if they insist on circumnavigating the wrong way round, we could start a book on how far they get before the first mayday.

my money is somewhere between King Island and Kangaroo Island..

someone did tell them we don’t have a coastguard, right?

47 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

if they insist on circumnavigating the wrong way round, we could start a book on how far they get before the first mayday.

The only thing more dumbass is the comments section. 

48 minutes ago, olaf hart said:

As long as they don't come down our way it's all good.

Fucked if I'm having anything at all to do with them if by some mischance they do get here though.

FKT

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

As long as they don't come down our way it's all good.

Fucked if I'm having anything at all to do with them if by some mischance they do get here though.

FKT

Playing the victim.  Entitled victims - so typical. 

Such a tragic story these ‘murcans have outside their blessed homeland..

• Like 1
On 2/4/2021 at 12:30 AM, LB 15 said:

well, for me it was just a little purple fonted (intended, didn't work out but thought one would get it so left it as was) jab, if you consider it trolling, then so be it and sorry, not intended as such but can't -of course- avoid funny ideas about sand in vag, look who's talking, gotcha and a bit more monkey stuff ... so here goes, cheers to you, o master of the devastating repartee.