Binoculars revisited again (and again and again)

Okay, I'm a fuck up, sorry. Need to replace some binocs. Did my best to socially isolate this weekend. Hiked up a local peak, saw no one, smoked some herb, came home, but my steiners we no longer in my pack. Ferckin left them up top. 

So what is it, new steiners, Fujinon? Rarely use them on the boat, more for hiking and hunting. Ruggedness, optics and magnification important, but have to be handheld. Recommendations?

PS Sa search and me seem to have our differences. 

Well you had Steiners so I'd go back to the best:  Steiner. They have the best warranty I've ever seen. My Navigators internal compass light died and they not only fixed them but rehabbed them, a corner of the rubber covering was loose and they fixed that as well. 

I haven't read the online warranty for years, but it used to say any and all Steiners would be fixed no charged forever. I found it hard to believe but they did mine a great workover pretty quickly. Very pleased with their service.

What objective lens diameter and magnification do you want? Do you need the range finder/compass option? Do you hunt with a scope? If so what reticle does it have? I find matching the scope to the binoculars to be the best combo, less guessing for hold over. I have the Vortex Viper HD/RT 10X50 which has a MRAD range finder in it so I can accurately and quickly determined distance based on known target sizes. 

Also their warranty is top notch. I dropped mine and kicked it off a cliff, destroyed the objective lens and the housing and they replaced it for free. 

No good weed goes unpunished:lol:

Take a look at Swarovski, I've had mine since 84, dropped them a number of times and still work great.

BTW, did you post a sign at the trailhead, hikers are usually pretty good about found stuff.

I did. Found a decent deal on them with free two day shipping. Should be here in time for my next hike this weekend. If I find the old ones, well I got a deal for you.

Decided to stay with what I know works and fits my face, so Steiners it is. Thanks for the other suggestions. I was not familiar with Vortex before this thread. Lots of choices out their now, almost too many, but none locally, so I stuck with what I knew. Thanks y'all.

On 7/8/2020 at 5:28 PM, Max Rockatansky said:

Care to share your source?

Please don't buy yet. Mine came today, but there are issues that I will explain later. Probably returning them tomorrow. 30 day money back, they pay shipping, but I am not waiting. The one I purchased  was the Nav Pro 7x50 for something like 377 USD with free 2 day ship.

Edit... looking more and more like a rip off. Click their link for return authorization and you go into an infinite loop. May have to take it up with my CC company if I cannot resolve this soon. Fuck... I just wanted some decent binocs. No more pot for me.

Edited by Varan
  • Like 1

To conclude this story, it was OP's mobile site that was messed up. Using my PC I was able to print a return label with no problem. The Steiner box the binoculars came in was sealed, but dirty and beat up. When I opened it, I found that the neck strap was broken, as was one of the plastic rings on the objective (with "high contrast" printed on it) that holds the lens cap on. I was also disappointed in how the lens caps attach to the binocs. Some fiddling around is required to keep them from flopping in view. The old flip down ones are way better.

Has Steiners quality and quality control slipped? Granted the Nav Pros are one of their lower end models, but I didn't expect the cheap plastic components, and I surely didn't expect to see broken components. 

BTW, Amazon now has the same model for 15% less than OP. Last week they were considerably more. Many other retailers have also now matched OP's price. Looking like Steiner is unloading this model (or fraudulent copies infiltrated the market).

I bought the Fujinon Polaris 7x50s with the compass this spring from B&H Photo.  Fair price and no problems with the transaction.

They are fantastic binocs and I use them often.  Like any 7x50, they are heavy.

I've done side-by-side comparisons with an older 8x28 roof-prism pair from a now-defunct Japanese maker.  In daylight, there is no observable difference in image quality though the 7x50s have more eye relief.  At dusk or at night, the difference is huge -- brighter overall scene, better resolving power, better contrast.  There's a parking lot across the lake from my balcony at home and I used that for comparisons.  Could read phone numbers painted on the side of the truck with the 7x50s but not the 8x28.  The fire hydrant was red in the 7x50s but appeared grey in the 8x28s.

For practical marine use I've used them at dusk and at night to figure out what distant traffic was doing and find that I can identify the color of a sidelight and its location compared to the white all-around light on small fishing boats 2 miles away.

My daughter took the 8x28s on a canoe trip and they ended up going for a swim.  They were not waterproof and so I've scrapped them.

I'm thinking of getting another pair of lightweight, less expensive binocs for daytime use. Waterproof this time.

^^ thank you. Marginal lighting is the norm in our northern latitudes, plus the most interesting stuff (IMHO) seems to happen near dusk or dawn. Fujinon was my other consideration based on what I read, but I have no experience with them. I am used to lugging around a 30 year old pair of 7x50 Steiners, so weight is not really an isse. Still, a light weight carbon body pair of quality 10x50+ (or even 7x50) for under 500 USD, perfect, but not happening. 

As an occasional contract photographer I've come to really respect Nikon's build quality, so it was pretty natural to turn to them for Bino's when the time came - they've got a 10x50 set, fully waterproof, with a decent warranty (they won't send it back with a punchcard to get a blowjob like the Steiner or whatever up above but it's still legit) that will set you back all of $150. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001HKIK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What about Nikon Oceanpro 7x50. There must be a reason why they do not produce marine 10x binoculars?

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/binoculars/7x50-oceanpro-cf-wp-global-compass.htm

I’m looking at this Nikon model in EU. As ‘m already off on my yearly summer trip, I’ll wait for price to drop again...

9 hours ago, Nekaj said:

What about Nikon Oceanpro 7x50. There must be a reason why they do not produce marine 10x binoculars?

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/binoculars/7x50-oceanpro-cf-wp-global-compass.htm

I’m looking at this Nikon model in EU. As ‘m already off on my yearly summer trip, I’ll wait for price to drop again...

I think it's a question of the exit pupil measurement. A 10x magnifier seems good at first glance, but is I guess a fair bit darker than a 7x magnifier at the same aperture. And a ~7 mm exit pupil is viewed as ideal for low light/night, b/c that's the maximum size the human pupil can dialate to, so I guess you're getting light across the whole pupil but not wasting any with an 'oversized' image (the margins of which you wouldn't be able to see. Good article on it here: https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-equipment/a-pupil-primer/

Frankly  I'm a bit jealous of those nikon marine one's as they look a bit more ruggedized, but at the same time I use my 10x50's (5mm exit pupil) alllll the time and am very happy with them.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:18 AM, Breamerly said:

Sky and Telescope! That brings back memories! My brother has had a subscription since he was about 10 years old; he's now 72. I remember him poring over each new issue, and the stacks of old ones. He probably still has all of them.

• Like 1

Birding we see lots of Zeiss, Swarovski, Swift, as well as Vortex. Of course the with the exception of Steiner and the near total exclusion of 7X50, all the others too. Leitz (Leica) wasthe best in the old days.

The coatings have made so much progress in the past 30 years that if you have great optics from the 80s, you will be disappointed how much better a $140 pair of Vortex are than your old $500 (in 1980s dollars) pair are.

A few years ago, my 30+ year old pair of Steiners (originally a gift) we’re getting a little ratty, including the compass illumination having gone over to the dark side. I called them to ask whether I could get them refurbished. They explained to me that their binoculars have a lifetime warranty, and at no expense to me they refurbished them to like-new condition with fast turnaround. Great customer service.

Just on the flip side, a few years ago we took 2 sets of Steiner 7x50s to a steiner dealer in the UK as the rubberized coating on them was pretty well shot - sticky and falling off.  The kept them for about 10 days, said they had contacted Steiner about them, and then told us they were beyond repair, and we should just buy new ones, and that Steiner wouldn't fix them.  Should we have gone direct to corporate?  ended up trashing them and getting some cheap west marine 7x50s that are doing just fine, but was pretty disappointed as I'd heard such great things about the Steiner service.

20 minutes ago, hdra said:

Just on the flip side, a few years ago we took 2 sets of Steiner 7x50s to a steiner dealer in the UK as the rubberized coating on them was pretty well shot - sticky and falling off.  The kept them for about 10 days, said they had contacted Steiner about them, and then told us they were beyond repair, and we should just buy new ones, and that Steiner wouldn't fix them.  Should we have gone direct to corporate?  ended up trashing them and getting some cheap west marine 7x50s that are doing just fine, but was pretty disappointed as I'd heard such great things about the Steiner service.

You were in the wrong England. You should have been in New England. Not the Old England.